The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   New life for an old 2wd, farm Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=505987)

hgs_notes 07-16-2012 06:53 PM

Re: New life for an old 2wd, farm Blazer

The main problem I have had with the repro door handles was the plate that the spring pushes against is barely crimped in there. I had one fall apart after just a month of use. I tried to fix it by crimping it some more, but it just cracks. So what I did was scuff the area and put a bead of body panel adhesive over the crimped edge top and bottom to strengthen it. So far so good.

turp mcspray 07-16-2012 10:06 PM

I think I have heard similar stories of them coming apart.
You been making any blazer progress lately?

turp mcspray 07-16-2012 10:18 PM

Hey Phatty, thats funny! Other people will look my work, and I'm sure yours to, and think it's perfect. I'm always saying that after working on something for X amount of time, that it starts to look WORSE every time I look at it, and even $100,000 cars, eventually become just another P.O.S. in the shop. I used to really beat myself up about stuff. Then I finally realized that "perfection" is simply not obtainable. You gotta strive to do your best,without driving yourself nuts! LOL!

hgs_notes 07-16-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turp mcspray (Post 5489935)
I think I have heard similar stories of them coming apart.
You been making any blazer progress lately?

Not so much. I'm teaching myself to paint on the jimmy and so far I've had more set backs than progress. I'm getting it figured out though. Now I'm waiting for time and weather. I need to sand out some runs, scuff it and spray with a sealer and start over. I tried to skip the sealer, and with a paint that is almost like a gold candy it was a huge mistake. Not the best color to learn how to paint with either, but I'm learning from my mistakes and confident I'll get a paint job I can be proud of eventually.

I'm also still working on my C-10, trying to finish that up. Currently working out a problem with my EFI, but have a plan now to fix it. My daughter wants me to use it in the town parade this year for the fast pitch softball float, but I need to get the EFI 100% reliable first and then make sure it won't ever overheat. Nobody would be impressed with and old loud truck puking anti-freeze and stalling out in a parade.

When it comes to the flaws in my work, I just look at them as "those things I need to work on yet". But then again, no one is paying me for the work either.

notsolo 07-18-2012 07:10 AM

Hey Turp Thanks for the help...also nice clear photos, that helps alot...ED

jmedero 07-21-2012 12:09 AM

Holly truck gods man!!! I went trough this whole thing..... Your an animal.
Posted via Mobile Device

PHAT TONY 07-22-2012 09:17 PM

Come on-come on!! We know this guy's been driving this thing already!! All you gotta do is quit living life for a while and post up some pictures and stuff!

....................please?

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 07:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the delay. My favorite dog of 10years, died suddenly two weeks ago today. That has kinda thrown normal life for a bit of a loop. I loved that dog as much as my wife and kids. In fact my wife has said for years that "you love that dog, more than you love me!". I'm sure you dog people can relate! Anyway, I will try to get back on track with the thread.
Getting ready to blast and paint the core support.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 07:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Blasted and hung in the booth.

PHAT TONY 08-04-2012 07:39 PM

Sorry for your loss; I had to put down a pal of 17 yrs a while back....it's tough.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 07:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I found a really nice heat stove set up in my favorite salvage yard!
And turned the core support, and misc. pieces black.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 07:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Painting the tailgate letters. This is really a pain.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 07:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more firewall assembly, and getting ready to paint another load.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 07:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for kind words Tony, I really appreciate it!
Another load ready to be sprayed black. And sprayed the manifolds with some POR cast iron.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 08:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Parts sprayed black.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 08:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Time for the front clip parts to turn colors.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 08:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Parts are red!

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 08:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Painted the dash top, and installed the windshield.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Blasted, and painted the heat/defrost selector box.

Fw190d9 08-04-2012 08:36 PM

Lookin good Turp! Is that a 69 vette I see languishing on the lift back there? Im doing a full resto mod on one right now.

Evan Q.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Installed manifolds and misc. engine stuff.

turp mcspray 08-04-2012 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Installed the a/c ducts, and ball assemblies.

hgs_notes 08-04-2012 11:55 PM

Looks great. Isn't the re-assembly of all this the longest hardest part of the job? Every piece needs to be cleaned/blasted and painted and maybe repaired. Even the new parts are not always ready to bolt on. It took me a weekend to tear my truck down and there are still things I need to do to call it finished.

Sorry for the loss of your dog. Thats the second time in the past 30 minutes I've had to send condolences out. A friend of mine lost his 25 yr old nephew to cancer.

I was in Rapid City, or rather passing through, twice in the past 10 days and wanted to stop in, but it was a long trip (1100 miles each way) and the family just wanted to keep on trucking. My wife wants to do Sturgis during the bike rally some day and we don't even own a bike, so maybe I'll drive my C-10 or Jimmy out instead, and take the time to visit your shop. There was plenty to see just on the freeway yesterday.

notsolo 08-05-2012 06:51 AM

Hey Turp. Slick looking paint. Great progress.. Great photo's. ..Sorry about your Friend.

turp mcspray 08-05-2012 10:21 PM

fw190... close! It's a 68. It is a L-79 4spd, car. Original color is burnt orange. I can't remember the actual name. Kind of an ugly color, but rare I guess. It's getting a correct frame off resto.
hgs...too bad you couldn't have stopped. My shop is about 2 minutes west and north, from the Flying J truckstop, that you drove past! I know how trips go, never enough time. Where did you go?
Thanks again guys.