The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=264226)

vtblazer 03-29-2008 01:33 PM

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

Line it up according to where the filler tube will be coming up, will save you the trouble of cutting up the floor. (easiest)

Save the pieces you cut out and reuse em for the patches. ;)

hgs_notes 03-29-2008 03:58 PM

Save the billet for the kids running hondas with fart pipes. Just my opinion of course.

Yukon Jack 03-29-2008 05:30 PM

I think I would stay away from the billet piece to me. I think the door you have finished in body color will look great as it blends in. To me, the billet style just sticks out like a sore thumb and screams "look at me".

Big J 03-29-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2650724)
Line it up according to where the filler tube will be coming up, will save you the trouble of cutting up the floor. (easiest)
Save the pieces you cut out and reuse em for the patches. ;)

Thats what I was thinkin'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 2650817)
Save the billet for the kids running hondas with fart pipes. Just my opinion of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukon Jack (Post 2650906)
I think I would stay away from the billet piece to me. I think the door you have finished in body color will look great as it blends in. To me, the billet style just sticks out like a sore thumb and screams "look at me".

Yeah, after lookin' at it some more I will stick with the stock filler door. The main reason for putting in the door was to smooth out the side, deleting the stock filler sticking out.

hugybear 03-30-2008 12:43 AM

hi there big j great job there it looks like the gas door there is turn inside out there lol more pics

jamie72 03-30-2008 12:57 AM

i really wish i could make it,i know it would be a great time..but... the wife has already made plans.. thanks for the invite thou..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 2647768)
J come on down. I figured it's a little far for you. Jamie and you come on down. I told Huck, but he said he was busy. Got about 25 members so far. Even got a guy coming from the Netherlands.

hugybear 03-31-2008 07:09 AM

where you at big j hopfully workin hard on the truck more pics please

Big J 03-31-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugybear (Post 2653346)
where you at big j hopfully workin hard on the truck more pics please

Heading over this morning. Just got back from WV last night with a load of tractors.

Big J 03-31-2008 10:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got a little bit done this morning. I may go back over and finish it up. Still not sure of my round door. Oh well too late now, lol.... The gas cap is round, so I figured the door would look better round, haha.

hugybear 04-01-2008 02:19 AM

looks like your tryin to put a round peg in a square hole there :lol::lol: just jokin great good job there and what did you get at wv any thing good more pics

Big J 04-01-2008 07:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugybear (Post 2654481)
looks like your tryin to put a round peg in a square hole there :lol::lol: just jokin great good job there and what did you get at wv any thing good more pics

Picked up a MF65 and a Leyland 270. Check your private messages.

The door looks better to me now that its all welded in and one color. Filled in the stock hole too. Now I need to cut out the rear for the new filler.

kyle4381 04-01-2008 08:27 AM

I like the round door as well. looks killer..nice work

Yukon Jack 04-01-2008 06:53 PM

That looks great! Looks factory which is very cool. Definitely will be alot of people that will never recognize that modification.

jamie72 04-02-2008 03:49 AM

good job j, keep at it, its looking great!!!

49m 04-02-2008 06:00 AM

Looks Great.

woodymm3 04-02-2008 06:40 AM

looks awesome. that is the only one that i have seen that could probably beat the foldout light idea i seen earlier. some guy here in washington has a mod that relocated it behind the fender light using an s-10 gas door hinge and mounting the light to it so when you flip it open inside is your fill cap. thought it was neet but this looks totally factory which is kewl. have been following your thread for a while now. great build.

woodymm3 04-02-2008 06:42 AM

just curious on your welds do you use gas or flux. ..... is there a big difference in the two i am looking at buying a welder and never done it but seems like it is something i can learn by myself.... which is the best way to go?

jrdv 04-02-2008 06:53 AM

That filler door looks factory. Excellent job!

john

vtblazer 04-02-2008 02:23 PM

Way to keep moving ahead, looks really good.

Better aerodynamics too. :hm:

Big J 04-02-2008 04:28 PM

Thanks for the compliments fellas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodymm3 (Post 2656885)
just curious on your welds do you use gas or flux. ..... is there a big difference in the two i am looking at buying a welder and never done it but seems like it is something i can learn by myself.... which is the best way to go?

I'm self taught. There are tons of info on welding on here and most manufacturers forums. I bought a Hobart Handler 140. It was the most bang for the buck I could find. Being made by Miller helped too. The gun actually says Miller on it. Definitely use a shielding gas. I use 75% argon/25% Co2. Makes for a much cleaner weld.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2657287)
Way to keep moving ahead, looks really good.

Better aerodynamics too. :hm:

Thats what I was thinking. Wait till ya see the SuperBird nose piece I'm fabbing up for the front of it. Anything for better MPG:lol:.

hugybear 04-03-2008 12:51 AM

lookin good on the body work

jamie72 04-03-2008 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodymm3 (Post 2656880)
looks awesome. that is the only one that i have seen that could probably beat the foldout light idea i seen earlier. some guy here in washington has a mod that relocated it behind the fender light using an s-10 gas door hinge and mounting the light to it so when you flip it open inside is your fill cap. thought it was neet but this looks totally factory which is kewl. have been following your thread for a while now. great build.

like this woody??? i tried to get him to do it this way.

http://www.seidata.com/~rmosley/rene...ller%20006.jpg

Big J 04-03-2008 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie72 (Post 2658110)
like this woody??? i tried to get him to do it this way.

http://www.seidata.com/~rmosley/rene...ller%20006.jpg

I would of done it that way but you'd of given me a hard time for copying you:lol:.... Does this mean its okay to paint mine red now:uhmk:?

woodymm3 04-03-2008 04:04 AM

exactly that is flippin awesome i will be doing that to mine more than likely
just got to figure out my front clip problems first seems like the po has some 67-68 peices and some 79-70 peices. It is up to me to figure out which ones are which kinda buggin me right now but i will prevail.

Big J 04-03-2008 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodymm3 (Post 2658385)
exactly that is flippin awesome i will be doing that to mine more than likely
just got to figure out my front clip problems first seems like the po has some 67-68 peices and some 79-70 peices. It is up to me to figure out which ones are which kinda buggin me right now but i will prevail.

Start yourself a thread and post up some pics. I'm sure everyone here could help point you in the right direction.