The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 05-03-2011 11:06 PM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

3 Attachment(s)
Got some color on the cab tonight. Can't say enough about how well this paint lays out- It would look good with some clear on it :cool: I'm really liking this color...

hotrodhomi 05-03-2011 11:21 PM

Do you mask off your whole garage before spraying and wet down the floor or are you doing it outside. It looks great so far, keep it up. what kind of gun are you using.

VA72C10 05-03-2011 11:22 PM

Looking GREAT!

Number98 05-03-2011 11:23 PM

Coming along nice man! :metal:

gringoloco 05-03-2011 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodhomi (Post 4661120)
Do you mask off your whole garage before spraying and wet down the floor or are you doing it outside. It looks great so far, keep it up. what kind of gun are you using.

Ultimately, if I were doing a nice, glossy paintjob, that is exactly what I would do. In this case, it is getting a 'quick and dirty' that is actually turning out nicer than I intended. I almost feel bad for not giving it the prep and attention to detail it deserves. This paint would look awesome on a slicked '67. Even better on something curvy, like an early VW Beetle...

The gun is a cheap Harbor Freight 'purple' gun. I think I got them for $14.99 on sale. Sprays very well- try Googling it to find the right part number to buy- I was very surprised at the quality of the pattern it produces- some compare it to, and say it is a copy of a very expensive Sata/Iwata. I don't know about that, but it's TONS better than a $75 Campbell Hausfeld I inherited- never could get consistent patterns out of that thing...

EDIT: Harbor Freight part number 43430 or 47016 HVLP 'purple gun'
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4661121)
Looking GREAT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number98 (Post 4661125)
Coming along nice man! :metal:

Thanks for the kudos fellas- I'm ready to get this thing going :uhmk:

gringoloco 05-04-2011 12:02 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few dry shots after I pulled the masking, comparing the old paint to the new. I can start assembling the bed now- finally! :metal:

EDIT: The camera did funky stuff with the color- the wet pics above are much more representative of the actual color- maybe pretty close on the second pic here...

VA72C10 05-04-2011 12:06 AM

that does look good...especially in the second pic. IF i find a cheap air compressor large enough for air tools I'll have to pick up one of those HF guns. that's another to add to the good, bad, and ugly thread as a good item to pick up there....

Painter D 05-04-2011 09:57 PM

Lookin good

gringoloco 05-04-2011 11:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4661202)
that does look good...especially in the second pic. IF i find a cheap air compressor large enough for air tools I'll have to pick up one of those HF guns. that's another to add to the good, bad, and ugly thread as a good item to pick up there....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69chevyshort (Post 4662666)
Lookin good

Thanks guys :D I'll hafta look for that HF thread...

Put the bed back together tonight. It took a little trimming here and there, both metal and wood, to get it fitting right. It is just loosely bolted together now- I will throw the gate on when I tighten everything down so I know it's aligned properly. I like the color contrast of the blue with the yellow pine- almost looks too nice ;) Don't mind the rear height- I had it aired-up so the creeper would fit underneath...

mcbassin 05-04-2011 11:32 PM

Very nice work on the bed. I really like the yellow pine too. I used that on one of my stepsides back in the day. You better get that tape off your back window or it might take some elbow grease to clean the tape residue off. Keep the daily progress pictures coming.

gringoloco 05-04-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4662865)
Very nice work on the bed. I really like the yellow pine too. I used that on one of my stepsides back in the day. You better get that tape off your back window or it might take some elbow grease to clean the tape residue off. Keep the daily progress pictures coming.

Haha- thanks, the rear window is removed and I used blue painter's tape on the inside of the cab, constrained to the gasket sealing surface, so I hope it will be alright. I wanted to have something there to help keep the bodywork dust out of the cab and don't have a helper to re-install the glass. Pics every chance I get to work on it- maybe I'll have a helper this weekend :)

mcbassin 05-04-2011 11:54 PM

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize you didn't have glass. I used the high dollar yellow 3M tape from the auto paint store on the last one I did. I left it on there for 2 days and it was a bear to get off. I was shooting eurethane enamel and I guess it didn't mix well with the tape? I spent a few hours cleaning it off the rubber on the windshield and rear window.

That blue looks great on your truck BTW.

VA72C10 05-05-2011 01:10 AM

bed wood looks fantastic against the blue and will still look good once the wood greys out.

gringoloco 05-05-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4662896)
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize you didn't have glass. I used the high dollar yellow 3M tape from the auto paint store on the last one I did. I left it on there for 2 days and it was a bear to get off. I was shooting eurethane enamel and I guess it didn't mix well with the tape? I spent a few hours cleaning it off the rubber on the windshield and rear window.

That blue looks great on your truck BTW.

Yeah, I noticed the blue stuff seems to get 'stickier' too. Now you have me worried :uhmk: I think I'll stick the glass back in Saturday if I can get some help. Thanks for the compliment!
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4662985)
bed wood looks fantastic against the blue and will still look good once the wood greys out.

Thanks! ...and this may be sooner rather than later ;)

Bennett68C10 05-05-2011 07:05 AM

Wow your bed wood looks great, I really like the color blue you went with as well. Truck is going to look amazing.

67cheby 05-05-2011 11:59 AM

looks SLICK !!

SOON2BLAZE 05-05-2011 05:36 PM

Man thats how I want to ruin mine!

gringoloco 05-05-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 4663096)
Wow your bed wood looks great, I really like the color blue you went with as well. Truck is going to look amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4663412)
looks SLICK !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOON2BLAZE (Post 4663892)
Man thats how I want to ruin mine!

Thanks everyone! It's nice seeing it finally come together :chevy:

gringoloco 05-08-2011 11:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bolted the 'gate back on today to give myself a reference for bedside alignment. Got them squared-up, good even gaps on the tailgate, and tightened everything down for the last time. I did have to do a little more trimming on my body lift pucks to get the body lines perfect, but now it is spot-on. Set her back down on the ground a complete truck, and somewhere close to ride height, for the first time in a while... :chevy:

Edit: My soon-to-be wife helped me install the back glass yesterday, too :D

VA72C10 05-09-2011 01:08 AM

Looks REALLY good! Body lines and stance!!!

Slick67 05-09-2011 08:33 AM

Wow! That color looks great, you really know how to ruin a truck. The bedwood looks awesome too.

gringoloco 05-09-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4670179)
Looks REALLY good! Body lines and stance!!!

Thanks! :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick67 (Post 4670388)
Wow! That color looks great, you really know how to ruin a truck. The bedwood looks awesome too.

Thanks a lot :) If you like things ruined, stay tuned... ;)

gringoloco 05-09-2011 03:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A conversation overheard between the previous owner (PO) and his bodyman (BM):

Quote:

PO: Hey, here's a bunch of money, can you paint this truck for me?

BM: Sure, but the bed is too rusty. I have one that will fit.

PO: Really? That 88-98 bed will look cool and will never be dated looking.

BM: What about the drip rails, do you want me to apply seam sealer?

PO: Nah, just clean out the old stuff and paint it.

BM: Ok- and just fill the rust holes with Bondo?

PO: Yep.

BM: I have another great idea! When we get done with your truck, we should go skydiving.

PO: Sounds good. We should try it without parachutes...

VA72C10 05-09-2011 04:54 PM

Gotta love hidden surprises....and STUPID PO's :devil:

RatRod68 05-09-2011 05:20 PM

damn man. Sorry to hear that