The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project "Popeye" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383265)

LEEVON 10-13-2010 02:58 PM

Re: Project "Popeye"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detroit3100 (Post 4238897)
great build. Did you ever switch to the LS1 oil pan or are you still running the truck pan? do you have any motor mount pics...my 6.0L seems to sit low, espically the pan when I have it air'd down.

Yes, I did have to switch to the LS1 pan, the truck pan was about 4" below the front crossmember and hit the ground first. The LS1 pan is about 1" above it, just perfect. It was kind of a fiasco though.. I bought a pan cheap, cleaned it up I discovered that it was badly broken in two places. I took it to a boat shop and the guy was supposed to call before doing any repairs to let me know how much $$$. Well he called after it was done and needed $250. I told him to keep it! But he said he'd let me have it for $150 cash...so I took it home and then realized the repairs were crappy. I'm hoping it doesn't crack or leak.

I'll get some engine mount pics for you.

nickp51chevy 10-13-2010 05:10 PM

I saw this thread a while ago; when you first got it. I thought I was subscribed, but I guess I wasn't. I just found it again. You've been busy.

I thought about doing the trailing arm set up on my '51. Looks like that is working out great for ya.

LEEVON 10-13-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickp51chevy (Post 4239099)
I saw this thread a while ago; when you first got it. I thought I was subscribed, but I guess I wasn't. I just found it again. You've been busy.

I thought about doing the trailing arm set up on my '51. Looks like that is working out great for ya.

Yeah, the arms worked out great. I think the ride will be worth it. I've been through your build a few times too, I love the s-10 bed, still considering doing that in Popeye.

nickp51chevy 10-13-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 4239575)
Yeah, the arms worked out great. I think the ride will be worth it. I've been through your build a few times too, I love the s-10 bed, still considering doing that in Popeye.

I thought about doing the S-10 bed but I decided not to. The pix of that on my build thread are from Bluejeep; he put the S-10 bed in his.

67cheby 10-14-2010 09:39 AM

the s-10 bed thing had my curiosity up, so i had to check that out , i think that would be killer on POPEYE, i like it with the tubs in it in case you ever run wider wheels

LEEVON 10-14-2010 10:18 AM

I might have to do some small tubs, looks like I've only got 1/2 tire clearance at ride height. Surely an S-10 bed can be found cheap.

BlueJeep 10-14-2010 10:03 PM

Yes, I did the s10 bed floor in mine and I like it. I first had the tubs, but cut them out later so that I could haul plywood in the bed. Here's the pics again:

Mock up:
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/P8080054.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/P8080055.jpg

Since mine's a long box, I had to add to the front:
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/PB290010.jpg

Wheel tubs filled in:
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/PB290008.jpg

And how it looks currently:
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCN0242-1.jpg

LEEVON 10-14-2010 11:47 PM

Ooops, got you mixed up with nickp51chevy. Bed looks really good!

breezy 11-05-2010 11:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Jumped over here to see what popeye was. Looking good. I have a 52 big truck in hidding I want to put a tube frame under with a suicide front and chop with a straight 6 or even better a straight 8.I just sold my 52 Daily driver. Metric subframe with v-8 auto, ps pb and cruise. You should have seen peoples faces when I'd blow by them on I-44. I'll try to post a pic or 2.
Not trying to jump on your thread here. Looks like you have a nice little place to work on your toys also.

LEEVON 11-06-2010 10:06 AM

Oh man that's a cool truck!

breezy 11-06-2010 09:17 PM

Thanks I have my moments.Yours has me itchen to start my tube frame truck. I really wish I could sell the 71. I'm just getting tired of it. The only reason I want TBI is something to do more or less. 700r4 should be put together this week. I may try to get it in next weekend.

LEEVON 11-21-2010 09:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The transmission is finally in for good and the Hurst shifter cleaned up real nice after a soak in oxalic acid and some soda blasting then a little grease. It shifts nice and smooth, not sloppy like I expected. I also mocked-up the brake booster and decided that I'm going to move it up to the firewall. The brake arm hits the clutch arm and also there is no room for exhaust on that side.

I spent some time yesterday modifying the center crossmember to make room for the driveshaft. Luckily I had some 1/4" plate and was able to cut a section out and fab a hump. I have a driveshaft being made next week.

As you can see I have a large but manageable to-do list left for the chassis! This week is brake lines...

FnLow69 11-21-2010 10:07 PM

looks good man....

CHIZZLER 11-21-2010 11:23 PM

Looking good leevon.

67cheby 11-22-2010 10:20 AM

looking good man

bjcaldwe 11-22-2010 12:10 PM

Nice. Ive got one of those boards in my garage too, but not as much marked off.

fishnixon 11-30-2010 12:53 AM

Nice thread Leevon...Great work. I'm learning as I lurk on the site. The under frame power brake setup and your exhaust situation is an eye opener. I have a bone stock 55 second generation big window shortbox and plans are formulating, but reading and doing research are going to pay off. I'll keep lurking, and you keep posting pictures...deal? You're son is going to love the truck when it's done!

Rob

52 Rat 12-11-2010 11:42 PM

The build project is coming along good. Looking good.

For those that are looking for a small wheel tub, check out the trailer fender at Tractor Supply or Northern Tool. I was looking at them this weekend and they would be easy to cut and weld into the bed sides. I think I'm going to use the trailer fenders.

Wvgearhead 12-13-2010 03:08 PM

Leevon, where are you sticking your gas tank. I see your air tank is where most mount there gas tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

LEEVON 01-14-2011 05:58 PM

Thanks everybody!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wvgearhead (Post 4347666)
Leevon, where are you sticking your gas tank. I see your air tank is where most mount there gas tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm going to leave the tank in the cab, it doesn't bother me to be there. If it was more of a street rod or highly finished I might consider moving it but for now it's good.

I've let this thing stall out...lost my sister on 12/13, she was 27 and had three kids so priorities changed a bit. It's funny how things come into perspective and become irrelevant at times (like one's hobbies). Slowly getting back to "normal" though, and I'm going to try and do SOMETHING, anything on the truck this weekend to get the fire back. It's been really freakin cold here too and I'm a big baby about cold so that's not helping either. :waah:

67cheby 01-14-2011 06:02 PM

cant wait to see progress, and im am truely sorry for your loss, God bless you and keep your head up, have gone through more than my share of the same kind of losses i understand

LEEVON 01-14-2011 06:23 PM

Thanks Mike. I remember that day I came by (10th) vividly for some reason, it was a fun day with my daughter and a nice to visit with you.

I'm getting back to it though, starting with that brake booster bracket. Just need a little motorvation. :sumo:

67cheby 01-14-2011 06:50 PM

lets get crack- a -lakin

bjcaldwe 01-14-2011 10:01 PM

Sorry to hear about your sis. There has been a lot of that over here in the last two months. I understand about the cold. Y'all definitely got it worse. I look forward to your updates and hope you get your mojo back.

dougminton 02-04-2011 05:17 PM

looks good. subscibed