The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Freddy's '52 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=403313)

RootBeer 6117 09-04-2011 08:45 PM

Re: Freddy's '52

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 4881370)
we used to run a system with elastic streched between the units one in front under the the car from left to right and two towarth the backwheels , there where verry acurate pot meters inside the devices and the reading was on them too it worked good actually , just had to rotate the wheel for the sway of the frontwheels and get the average to zero
could do tow in /out and rear tow in/out the camber caster was done with a weighted potmeter inside the devices , the measurements where allways done on a level bridge

watahyahknow
was it a hunter string line system?we looked at a system years ago the sounds like what you are describing Hunter used it a lot in the 80's I didn't like it because the string kept getting messed up with something touching it and the guy that was selling it was a jerk.I bought a business in 1995 that had a john bean boat head alignment system that would shoot a beam up to a chart on the wall its was 1950/60's the alignment heads looked like a boat motor it was something else to mess with I guess I got used to the laser systems.I wasn't/ am not a big fan of hunter but they have the best system going right now IMO.
Joe

1952ssr 09-06-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod1 (Post 4874604)
How low is too low? What is the measurement from the lowest part of the body to the ground?

My running boards are 4 1/2 inches off the shop floor.

1952ssr 09-06-2011 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, spent Thursday, and a few hours Friday & Saturday working on the truck. Thursday I got my windows put into the doors, I found that a frame from a four bulb ceiling light that holds the plastic light cover works great for the channel that's inside the door (since they don't make a reproduction). Saturday picked me up a full size seat and put it in. Yesterday I got my a/c hooked up, vents located and made a bracket for supporting the rear of the a/c compressor. Here's my seat, I will be getting it recovered gray vinyl.

watahyahknow 09-06-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBeer 6117 (Post 4881830)
watahyahknow
was it a hunter string line system?we looked at a system years ago the sounds like what you are describing Hunter used it a lot in the 80's I didn't like it because the string kept getting messed up with something touching it and the guy that was selling it was a jerk.I bought a business in 1995 that had a john bean boat head alignment system that would shoot a beam up to a chart on the wall its was 1950/60's the alignment heads looked like a boat motor it was something else to mess with I guess I got used to the laser systems.I wasn't/ am not a big fan of hunter but they have the best system going right now IMO.
Joe

i actually have no idea it been a while back i just worked with the thing

FRENCHBLUE72 09-11-2011 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I usually hang out in the 67-72 section but got board and figured Id check out some of the older chevys... Nice build I like how you used everything you could to keep the cost down.. Are you rolling down the road yet with this??

1952ssr 09-12-2011 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 4893868)
I usually hang out in the 67-72 section but got board and figured Id check out some of the older chevys... Nice build I like how you used everything you could to keep the cost down.. Are you rolling down the road yet with this??

Thanks, I have put about 100 miles on it so far and I am thrilled how it runs. Made it's first cruise-in Saturday night, getting alot of great comments. It appears to get some good gas mileage too, I have went about 70 miles on a 1/4 tank. We plan to take it to the Rod Run in Pigeon Forge and stay Thursday-Saturday. If I built another one I would buy three things 1) 48-53 truck 2) S10 truck and 3) a wrecked camaro/trans-am, then I would only have to buy very few parts. Funny you post that picture of the black GMC, that is one of my favorite AD's ever. My wife was wanting me to do mine black, but now we will leave it patina. Here's a real good picture except it needed a bath.

youngrodder 09-12-2011 09:12 PM

Hows the LT1 running? I have also put about 100 miles on my truck as well. I'm still working through some bugs. I would like to have the motor scanned/programmed to make sure it is optimized for both fuel economy and performance.

Good luck with your trip to pigeon Forge.
Marc

1952ssr 09-13-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 4896249)
Hows the LT1 running? I have also put about 100 miles on my truck as well. I'm still working through some bugs. I would like to have the motor scanned/programmed to make sure it is optimized for both fuel economy and performance.

Good luck with your trip to pigeon Forge.
Marc

Mines running pretty good. The SES light has come on some mainly when I'm in slow traffic right about the time the fans kick on. My oil pressure drops as my engine heats up, 50 down to 30 then 20 (which I've heard is normal with LT's)when I'm stopped in traffic. The light came on Friday on my way home but went off Saturday when I cranked it and didn't come on any on my last trip Saturday afternoon, so I'm thinking the computer is calibrating settings to its new setup. I too want to get some programs and make some changes, I think I'm gonna find me a 16 pin plug and replace the 12 pin so I came find readers easier cause mine is OBDI. I can cruise really effortlessly at 55 with the gas barely pressed.

oldman3 09-13-2011 10:30 AM

I love the way your truck looks (patina). The black truck is nice, but I like the way yours is right now (not that my vote counts)......Jim

sdailey 09-13-2011 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952ssr (Post 4895775)
Thanks, I have put about 100 miles on it so far and I am thrilled how it runs. Made it's first cruise-in Saturday night, getting alot of great comments. It appears to get some good gas mileage too, I have went about 70 miles on a 1/4 tank. We plan to take it to the Rod Run in Pigeon Forge and stay Thursday-Saturday. If I built another one I would buy three things 1) 48-53 truck 2) S10 truck and 3) a wrecked camaro/trans-am, then I would only have to buy very few parts. Funny you post that picture of the black GMC, that is one of my favorite AD's ever. My wife was wanting me to do mine black, but now we will leave it patina. Here's a real good picture except it needed a bath.

Loving this picture. CLASSIC!!!!

Looks like you've been busy and making some killer progress. Been on any backroad trips this way with it yet? I would love to see it in person one day.:metal:

Keep up the good work!

1952ssr 09-13-2011 12:03 PM

Thanks Jim, your vote does count.

Yep, Shannon I've been busy. I went as far as Dawsonville, their cruise-in is every 2nd Saturday from 5 till ?. They had probably 40ish cars there. Let me know of a show or cruise-in up your way and I'll try to make it up. We'll probably drive it leaf looking come fall up that way.

sdailey 09-13-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952ssr (Post 4897326)
Thanks Jim, your vote does count.

Yep, Shannon I've been busy. I went as far as Dawsonville, their cruise-in is every 2nd Saturday from 5 till ?. They had probably 40ish cars there. Let me know of a show or cruise-in up your way and I'll try to make it up. We'll probably drive it leaf looking come fall up that way.

Po-Boy's cruise in runs every third Saturday in Canton, which happens to be this coming Saturday.

http://www.poboyscarclub.com/index.html

1952ssr 09-14-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 4897395)
Po-Boy's cruise in runs every third Saturday in Canton, which happens to be this coming Saturday.

http://www.poboyscarclub.com/index.html

Well, with us planing to be at the Rod Run this Saturday we'll try to make it to Octobers. I'll let you know.

lownslowtexaco 09-22-2011 04:14 PM

Hey Man, It was nice meeting you at the Rod Run and you have done a killer job, truck looks awesome!!...the patina and the stance is just right.

1952ssr 09-26-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lownslowtexaco (Post 4913522)
Hey Man, It was nice meeting you at the Rod Run and you have done a killer job, truck looks awesome!!...the patina and the stance is just right.

Thanks, it was really good to meet you as well. I had a blast at the RR.
I work with a guy who has a 2nd home about 12 miles from Athens.

1952ssr 09-28-2011 10:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Got a few cosmetic things done last night, side mirror mounted that my co-worker dug up in his shop. It matches the pitting of my door handles perfectly. Mounted my reverse light which is an old boat light lense on my bumper and got my modified V6 valve cover ready to paint and put on. I really want some opinions on the valve cover, it will be red to match my firewall and the chevrolet script painted silver. I'm just not sure about how it looks on top on the engine.

72Mountaineer 09-28-2011 04:01 PM

The seat looks like it fits like a glove. What is it from?

1952ssr 09-28-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer (Post 4924900)
The seat looks like it fits like a glove. What is it from?

A '91 chevy silverado.

nacho55 09-29-2011 03:37 PM

Fred looks great. Nice to see another one back on the road let alone taking the time to post your progress and ideas.. I have been a long time lurker in the build section here, been gathering up all the good ideas from everyone so thanks for taking the time to post your progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

nacho55 09-29-2011 03:56 PM

Also what did you use for the steering shaft and your gas pedal.

1952ssr 09-29-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nacho55 (Post 4926619)
Also what did you use for the steering shaft and your gas pedal.

The s10 donor truck. The shaft is half s10 and half c10 welded together.

1952ssr 10-18-2011 11:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I decided to go another route with '52 valve cover. It was just gonna look unperporsioned using the whole thing so I cut basically the top out of it and then trimmed around my map sensor and then attached it using the fuel rail bolts. I think it added a nice pop of color to the engine. Maybe down the road I might add some corvette valve cover shrouds.

Then I got my '55 bel air hood ornament put on last night and me likey. It was a little uncentered as you can see in the last picture but, I fixed that with my rubber mallet.

oldman3 10-18-2011 05:19 PM

Hey, I think I saw a bug splat on the hood, better get that off before it hurts the paint. :haha::crazy: looking cool.....Jim

RootBeer 6117 10-19-2011 06:53 AM

I like it, man it makes me want to get mine going.

BlueJeep 10-19-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952ssr (Post 4959859)
I decided to go another route with '52 valve cover. It was just gonna look unperporsioned using the whole thing so I cut basically the top out of it and then trimmed around my map sensor and then attached it using the fuel rail bolts. I think it added a nice pop of color to the engine. Maybe down the road I might add some corvette valve cover shrouds.

Then I got my '55 bel air hood ornament put on last night and me likey. It was a little uncentered as you can see in the last picture but, I fixed that with my rubber mallet.

Looks great!

Remind me again, are you static dropped or on bags?