The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 Cheyenne Super Short Fleet Big Block build! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447919)

superflysteiny 04-13-2011 10:10 PM

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super Short Fleet Big Block build!

That sucks
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 04-13-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my4by2 (Post 4623534)
Nice score man! N.O.S. stuff is always nice to find!

thanks, getting there...almost got all NOS stuff for the outside.

Might be a BIG change of direction on this project soon (people who know me and my builds will NOT be surprised :lol:)

I'm still going to build the truck and it will be a SWB BB Super.....but might not be this truck. Looking at a truck in NC that is a TRUE SWB BB Super with even more options than this truck had. Also has the correct 402/400 with it. So I am leaning towards selling this frame/cab and purchasing the other truck.

I'm going to get the rust repaired in the cab and freshen up the frame a little and see if I can sell it for what I have in it....then pick up the other SWB super....

I just feel to do this build right...with all the nice and NOS stuff I have and to get top dollar I should get a TRUE SWB BB Super with number's matching block, frame & cab....

Opinions? :D :uhmk:

heeroyue2002 04-13-2011 10:40 PM

thats how you load a van up! i use my astro for scrap collecting as well so ive had it squatting like heck.

Zoomin 04-13-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4623558)

Might be a BIG change of direction on this project soon (people who know me and my builds will NOT be surprised :lol:)

I'm still going to build the truck and it will be a SWB BB Super.....but might not be this truck. Looking at a truck in NC that is a TRUE SWB BB Super with even more options than this truck had. Also has the correct 402/400 with it. So I am leaning towards selling this frame/cab and purchasing the other truck.

I'm going to get the rust repaired in the cab and freshen up the frame a little and see if I can sell it for what I have in it....then pick up the other SWB super....

I just feel to do this build right...with all the nice and NOS stuff I have and to get top dollar I should get a TRUE SWB BB Super with number's matching block, frame & cab....

IF (cost of new truck + body work to get to where you are now + shipping) < (extra you will get on sale + proceeds from sale of this truck - what you have in this truck)
do it
ELSE
forge ahead
END

:smoke:

VA72C10 04-14-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 4623753)
IF (cost of new truck + body work to get to where you are now + shipping) < (extra you will get on sale + proceeds from sale of this truck - what you have in this truck)
do it
ELSE
forge ahead
END

:smoke:

My thought is that there might be people who really want a TRUE original documented Swb bb truck and no matter how nice I make this swb bb...the original documentation will show it was a LWB. If I was building a driver or nice weekend cruiser I wouldn't care....but the amount of $$$ I have tied up in parts...this needs to be 100% right :sumo: :D

The truck I'm looking at has OOODLES of documentation...I WILL spend more than I did on this truck in getting it, but as I said, the new truck comes with the correct 402/400 including everything for the engine (carb, intake, air cleaner, brackets, A/C, etc etc...

So I'm willing to pay more. In the end I feel it's a good investment if I want a chance at getting top $$$ for the truck.

And, someone will get a good deal on a nice SWB BB Super truck when I sell this one :D

Or...I can always part it for at least what I have in it ;)
BB specific parts
402 engine (out of chevelle) rebuilt with mild cam
Posi rear (373)
Tilt
Cheyenne super stuff
Cab and rolling SWB frame on rally wheels with good title and 67K original miles disc front 5 lugs with power steering
I count at least 3000 in value there.

70LonghornCST 04-14-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4623530)
Got the NOS piece for over the tailgate handle :D

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...B/IMG_5862.jpg

Ah...nothing like the feeling of opening that NOS part that arrives via the mail/UPS/FedEx. But then the elated feeling wanes and we need more...MORE...MORE!:devil:
Nice find, Jonathan. :)

67cheby 04-14-2011 10:04 AM

get the other truck if you are going for a BIG BUCK build !! my opinion

gcburdic 04-14-2011 10:07 AM

:jdp: WHAT??!?!?! you are going to change directions after 15 pages of updates...I'm shocked:lol:

If you wanna complete original big block, big buck swb super build then go for the other one....you'll be selling to a limited market, but I know you know that already:D

no moa 04-14-2011 10:58 AM

wow, i'd do it.

BB72CHEVKT 04-14-2011 11:30 AM

I think it would be a smart move to get the real deal. I was suprised when this thread was started to see you use all these high dollar parts and it not be the real deal.

lolife99 04-14-2011 11:59 AM

Just my opinion,... but the real deal "high dollar" restoration will require the chassis to be nut and bolt correct.
All colors, and finishes.
I think it will be hard to make a profit.
(just my 2 cents)

VA72C10 04-14-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST (Post 4623937)
Ah...nothing like the feeling of opening that NOS part that arrives via the mail/UPS/FedEx. But then the elated feeling wanes and we need more...MORE...MORE!:devil:
Nice find, Jonathan. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4624384)
get the other truck if you are going for a BIG BUCK build !! my opinion

That's the way I'm leaning

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 4624391)
:jdp: WHAT??!?!?! you are going to change directions after 15 pages of updates...I'm shocked:lol:

If you wanna complete original big block, big buck swb super build then go for the other one....you'll be selling to a limited market, but I know you know that already:D

Crazy for me to change my mind, huh? :lol:
Yep, I realize it's going to be a VERY limited market due to the price....therefore I want no reason for someone to question the legitimacy of the truck

Quote:

Originally Posted by no moa (Post 4624467)
wow, i'd do it.

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 4624524)
I think it would be a smart move to get the real deal. I was suprised when this thread was started to see you use all these high dollar parts and it not be the real deal.

That's been my thought from the beginning too...I had some people tell me it might not matter...but that's a big chance to take

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4624561)
Just my opinion,... but the real deal "high dollar" restoration will require the chassis to be nut and bolt correct.
All colors, and finishes.
I think it will be hard to make a profit.
(just my 2 cents)

I've run the numbers a few times now and I'll do okay even if it sells for less than I'm expecting. I have great hookups for body/paint/glass that really help me save. And I've done relatively well buying all this NOS stuff...

If I hadn't seen CSM and Jerry Brown's over restored trucks selling for 50-70K within the last 6 months I'd be concerned about making a profit too...but I'm going to build a truck modeled after theirs (and using many of the same parts for that matter (CSM parts who Jerry also uses)
So it really comes down to the quality of the body work and paint that would be the only difference (other than the marketing/reputation advantage that they have) And I'm confident in the guys doing the body work and paint! :chevy:

DANTIP 04-14-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4623537)
Been busy with local selling of parts and getting ready for carlisle...

....here are some pics of our family vehicle.

I like the stance with it loaded up :D

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...7/IMG_5852.jpg

Looks kinda full, huh?
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...7/IMG_5854.jpg

Not much air space :D
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...7/IMG_5855.jpg

No room for me to move inside
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/s...7/IMG_5853.jpg

Forgot to get pics of the tables, glass, fender, and grilles i had on the roof rack :lol:

Now that's CUBE UTILIZATION at it's finest. I'd have trouble finding room for a cigarette-butt in there. Nice Work!!

sgaylord 04-14-2011 01:43 PM

Another awesome project I'm sure.... :-)

FRENCHBLUE72 04-14-2011 08:00 PM

Get the other truck it sounds like that would make you happy..

71 super 04-16-2011 09:01 PM

Jonathon the thing you are not looking at in my opinion is the reputation that Jerry and Gary have vs. everyone else. Their reputation and knowledge of buyers is what bring the big money for their trucks. I have been present when Jerry purchased a truck built with all of his parts for $21,000 loaded on his rollback and sold the very same truck for $34,000 with out doing anything but loading it and moving it literally down the road. This is for no reason but his reputation and knowledge of buyers. I wish you luck but this market is like everything else associated with sales, it hard to compete with the heavy hitters being a little guy. I completely understand whre you are coming from
and I wish you well but dont over extend and get hurt trying to get what they get for theirs. Again just my opinion. Harold

VA72C10 04-16-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71 super (Post 4628868)
Jonathon the thing you are not looking at in my opinion is the reputation that Jerry and Gary have vs. everyone else. Their reputation and knowledge of buyers is what bring the big money for their trucks. I have been present when Jerry purchased a truck built with all of his parts for $21,000 loaded on his rollback and sold the very same truck for $34,000 with out doing anything but loading it and moving it literally down the road. This is for no reason but his reputation and knowledge of buyers. I wish you luck but this market is like everything else associated with sales, it hard to compete with the heavy hitters being a little guy. I completely understand whre you are coming from
and I wish you well but dont over extend and get hurt trying to get what they get for theirs. Again just my opinion. Harold

I do appreciate that thought. I actually had posted that I do realize their reputation has a lot to do with the prices they get.

I'm not expecting to get 60-70K for a truck when restored.

I do think I can get good money based on the quality of the build. And I will definitely make mention in my For sale ad that I used many parts supplied by CSM in the build (including some that were intended for his and his son's personal vehicles that are even a step above their normal stuff)

I recently watched the nice 72 super that had no documentation on being a true factory swb bb and looked pieced together on ebay. Seller had limited feedback also. Had many over-restored items including an a/c box painted to match the firewall, polished parts, and had been lowered with billet rims.

Got up to 48K with multiple bidders but didn't hit reserve. I think the truck I'm building will be worth somewhere in that range when completed.

Zoomin 04-17-2011 12:33 AM

I would really like to know more about the motivation of people that drop $45K or more on these. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these trucks are fetching the money, but given the numbers of these that were made, it's not rarity, not performance...

If that eBay truck bid up tp $45K, I see no reason why yours wouldn't get that or more.

RCbowtie69 04-17-2011 09:31 AM

hey Jonathan, i think your build can fetch some major green backs,with the NOS parts that you're putting in it.I've seen some repo parts at Charlotte like reverse light housing,they are nothing like the ones that come in our trucks, that say Made in USA,you have alot of parts that say that.Keep on Truckin'' :metal:

67swb72klb 04-17-2011 09:59 AM

imo if u want big money u have to get that truck put your self in the buyers shoes

70LonghornCST 04-17-2011 12:40 PM

Jonathan, just create a file with all of the NOS parts, keep all the part number labels...even the NOS boxes/packages if you can. That'll sure help. Nothing is impossible given the right buyer. I know this off of my experience in selling comic books. Rarity and seller rep are certainly main contributing factors. However, there are those little 'free radicals' known as the right time, place, and buyer. With that considered and a build like yours, I think you'll do fine with the truck you have. :metal: But it'd sure be nice to get that other truck, huh ;)

Zoomin 04-18-2011 11:17 PM

Hey, it's been a while - what's up?

VA72C10 04-18-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 4632911)
Hey, it's been a while - what's up?

Jason's working on the cab but I'm going to sell this one. Have a true SWB BB super I'm planning to get in NC now....all the parts I've gathered will go on it so it's just the cab and frame that will be different basically...

VA72C10 04-18-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 4629300)
I would really like to know more about the motivation of people that drop $45K or more on these. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad these trucks are fetching the money, but given the numbers of these that were made, it's not rarity, not performance...

If that eBay truck bid up tp $45K, I see no reason why yours wouldn't get that or more.

Thanks, that's my hope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 (Post 4629667)
hey Jonathan, i think your build can fetch some major green backs,with the NOS parts that you're putting in it.I've seen some repo parts at Charlotte like reverse light housing,they are nothing like the ones that come in our trucks, that say Made in USA,you have alot of parts that say that.Keep on Truckin'' :metal:

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67swb72klb (Post 4629699)
imo if u want big money u have to get that truck put your self in the buyers shoes

That's my plan...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST (Post 4629940)
Jonathan, just create a file with all of the NOS parts, keep all the part number labels...even the NOS boxes/packages if you can. That'll sure help. Nothing is impossible given the right buyer. I know this off of my experience in selling comic books. Rarity and seller rep are certainly main contributing factors. However, there are those little 'free radicals' known as the right time, place, and buyer. With that considered and a build like yours, I think you'll do fine with the truck you have. :metal: But it'd sure be nice to get that other truck, huh ;)

Planning to document everything and having the other truck to start with will be the biggest plus in my book!

Zoomin 04-18-2011 11:35 PM

Ah, so you decided to get it. Well, what's the scoop on that? When do you get it, what kind of shape is it, etc. Inquiring minds want to know.

VA72C10 04-19-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 4632943)
Ah, so you decided to get it. Well, what's the scoop on that? When do you get it, what kind of shape is it, etc. Inquiring minds want to know.

You guys know as much as I do right now :D I'm waiting for the current owner to get some other things moved to get to it. I do know it's in good shape and fully loaded with excellent documentation....

might be a few weeks or more before I can get it though...

until then I'm going to be working on the current cab and frame and get them as nice as possible to sell...

screaminchevypickup 04-19-2011 03:13 AM

You can buy those same hoses from brothers they have the heater hoses too
Posted via Mobile Device

dougminton 04-19-2011 01:00 PM

just read the whole thing. gonna follow along on this one for sure.

RCbowtie69 04-21-2011 07:04 PM

Hey Jonathan,i'm keeping taps on this build,if you do get the other truck,i know it will be a nice truck to build,keep the up dates coming :metal:

Graham57a 05-02-2011 12:01 PM

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

RCbowtie69 05-10-2011 10:09 PM

Hey Jonathan,just checking on any updates on your build or the other truck you were looking at,keep on truckin'' :metal:

Zoomin 05-10-2011 10:49 PM

Was wondering about this myself. zzz

VA72C10 05-11-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 (Post 4673649)
Hey Jonathan,just checking on any updates on your build or the other truck you were looking at,keep on truckin'' :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 4673753)
Was wondering about this myself. zzz

Project is on hold while I wait until the person selling the other bb super tells me he's ready for me to come down and pick it up....

RCbowtie69 05-13-2011 09:06 PM

Hope to hear something soon & good luck,keep on truckin'' :metal:

harveyrc2003 05-22-2011 02:38 PM

Looking good keep it up
Posted via Mobile Device

68 TT 07-11-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4551415)
keep up the good work , it took me about 25 hours of non stop stripping and i didnt do the inside of the cab, just the jambs, that does include firewall and outsides of the doors, there is a disc called a whizzy wheel about 4 inches round that you put on your die grinder it kind of feels like a stout red scotch brite pad , it works awesome for stripping door jambs and around window frames and rain gutters it is awesome , saves alot of time and doesnt eat away at the metal !!

Where did you find the whizzy wheels?

68 TT 07-11-2011 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4673993)
Project is on hold while I wait until the person selling the other bb super tells me he's ready for me to come down and pick it up....

Any word from the other guy? I can't wait to see the new one.

68 TT 07-11-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4623558)

For all the money and time you will have into it you are doing the right thing getting a numbers matching SWB BB truck to start with. The matching numbers make a huge difference at the high end of the price scale.

VA72C10 07-11-2011 01:54 PM

No word from the guy with the documented swb bb. Right now I'm honestly looking for a driver. Have had many times recently I've needed/wanted to have a truck to use...

On the sanding discs for the grinder, I got several styles online from lehigh valley abrasives. They are about 1/2 price of similar ones I've gotten in the store as long as you get a few at a time to combine the shipping...

70k52wd 07-21-2011 02:46 PM

I got my head out from under my truck long enough to read most of this thread...I see you have stopped working on it in hopes of a numbers swb truck. How about making this into your daily and get the true shorty for restore resale?
The project looks great so far.

Also, Jerry Brown started this resto biz in the early 80's when people thought he was nuts to restore one when they were still abundant. He knows everybody, and everybody knows him. If a guy is looking for a restored truck, Jerry can sell it site unseen because of his rep. That's also why he gets the big money. Btw i bought my blaze from JB long time ago. Traded a rust free 4x4 driver blaze for it(and a couple of dollars). If you ever have the chance to visit his shop, it's amazing.:metal: I spent two days their, he finally told me to leave so he can get back to work.:lol: