The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project truck dream 65" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=510863)

jhrusk 08-26-2013 09:19 AM

Re: Project truck dream 65"

truck is lookin nice

Delmo 08-26-2013 10:03 AM

Very nice work man.

lenguini 08-31-2013 01:34 AM

Thank you for the good words fellas !:ito:

lenguini 08-31-2013 01:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A Friday to remember,my new intake showed up.Air gap Performer with Endurashine...easy to keep clean and pennies more than a black powdercoated one...not so easy to keep clean.Not such a tough decision is it !

Kraft dinner again until next paycheck.:puke:

lenguini 09-01-2013 01:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Installed the hardlines today from the a/c condenser to the bulkhead at the Rad support.

The lines tucked in nicely behind the grill as planned,the #8 line looks great with nice flowing bends however the #6 line may have to be redone as it has a rather tight bend off the condenser fitting and the bends are a little ugly.

I have heard from a/c people tight bends could be a potential freeze point if the flow is not 100%.You can see this in the last 2 pics where the condenser fitting meets the hardline .Any opinions on this bend will be appreciated.:ito:

McMurphy 09-01-2013 02:36 PM

Man this is really looking good!
The two people that leap to mind when it comes to bending lines is Markb and whomever does them for Dino...
Maybe one of them will chime in on this for you.
Me personally I would whack it out of there, and redo it. Sometimes my second or third try comes out far better than expected, regardless of what a PITA it is do something over....

Not sure if this is helpful, but it is a comment :lol:

lenguini 09-01-2013 03:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My hood came off this morn.Welding in a panel to accept the new hood release mechanism. Figured I post a before shot of the original front brace setup less the old hand release assembly.

Its not the best pic I could have taken of my hood underside,so I found another on the internet that shows all the brace holes much better.

So all holes(there are many) in the front rear and center hood braces are being welded and smoothed as well.

lenguini 09-01-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6248503)
Man this is really looking good!
The two people that leap to mind when it comes to bending lines is Markb and whomever does them for Dino...
Maybe one of them will chime in on this for you.
Me personally I would whack it out of there, and redo it. Sometimes my second or third try comes out far better than expected, regardless of what a PITA it is do something over....

Not sure if this is helpful, but it is a comment :lol:

Thanks Michael,I'm feeling that It should be redone as well.I didn't post better pics of that particular line as it looks pretty bad.Even though its well hidden,its gonna bug me.:dohh:

Mack B 09-01-2013 07:16 PM

This may be difficult to explain with words, but if you take a crescent wrench and adjust it to the diameter of the hard line, then work it up and down around that bend, you may be able to open the flat spot back up. It still won't be pretty, but it shouldn't cause a restriction. Very nice project! Your doing some outstanding work!
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 09-01-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack B (Post 6248851)
This may be difficult to explain with words, but if you take a crescent wrench and adjust it to the diameter of the hard line, then work it up and down around that bend, you may be able to open the flat spot back up. It still won't be pretty, but it shouldn't cause a restriction. Very nice project! Your doing some outstanding work!
Posted via Mobile Device

I would love to see a video on how to do that !!

lenguini 09-02-2013 03:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Around 1:00 this afternoon my bud Kevin showed and we started on my invisible trailer hitch setup.

Alot of thought went into this as I'm building a fill panel between the box and bumper which will also support my new licence plate mount.I also wanted the hitch to be part of the bumper mount and not be seen from behind.Everything is tucked up neatly behind the bumper.

If all our calculations are correct,anyone who rearend's me over 5 mph will turn his/her car into an accordion ! See example pic ! :lol:

Everything is tacked into its final position less the tubing for the ball assembly,back up to Kevin's shop for finish welding.Some trimming on the side mounts...and then off for paint.

The unit will now safely pull 4000lbs.:ito:

Jeff La 09-02-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 6248560)
Thanks Michael,I'm feeling that It should be redone as well.I didn't post better pics of that particular line as it looks pretty bad.Even though its well hidden,its gonna bug me.:dohh:

I take a pair of vice grips and squeeze it on the side a little at a time and it will open back up and not affect the bend.

BOXER957 09-02-2013 01:56 PM

Fantastic job as you already know! Love the gas filler! As far as the wood goes I'm not sure how it will look on oak but I used to put Linseed oil on any and all woodwork on boats. The wood is always teak so has a reddish/brown look to it but they are in the ocean exposed to salt spray daily and the stuff is AWSOME. I'm contemplating using teak for my floor when the time comes....all depends on how the rest of the truck turns out.... my cab is about as bad as yours was so it does give me hope. Can I interest your bodyman/welder in an all expense paid working vacation to Cape Cod Ma. ohhh for a month or two? Seriously, Great Job! Rock on and I'll stay tuned :metal:

BOXER957 09-02-2013 02:15 PM

Also wanted to ask you how do you fit? I'm 6'4" and it's tight, I saw somewhere something about raising the seat height?

lenguini 09-04-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6250013)
Also wanted to ask you how do you fit? I'm 6'4" and it's tight, I saw somewhere something about raising the seat height?

Ill mention the offer to my bodyman...you never know !;)

Yes,raising the seat height 2 inches with the Silverado seats made all the difference for room.I still have a couple inches of head room and am able to stretch my legs out to the firewall.You may want to consider mounting after market pedals as I did.

The original plan was to re-engineer the firewall and move it out into the engine bay 3 inches which would have been a real p.i.t.a.,so I opted for this.

Cheers,
Ed.:ito:

BOXER957 09-04-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 6252589)
Ill mention the offer to my bodyman...you never know !;)

Yes,raising the seat height 2 inches with the Silverado seats made all the difference for room.I still have a couple inches of head room and am able to stretch my legs out to the firewall.You may want to consider mounting after market pedals as I did.

The original plan was to re-engineer the firewall and move it out into the engine bay 3 inches which would have been a real p.i.t.a.,so I opted for this.

Cheers,

I was considering the same thing (extending the firewall) Glad to know raising the seat worked, that is a little...easier. What did you use for pedals? I saw where you said you had relocated them but you didn't give a lot of detail or pics. Thanks BTW how do I link my build thread to my messages? Any clue?

lenguini 09-08-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6252775)
I was considering the same thing (extending the firewall) Glad to know raising the seat worked, that is a little...easier. What did you use for pedals? I saw where you said you had relocated them but you didn't give a lot of detail or pics. Thanks BTW how do I link my build thread to my messages? Any clue?

The pedals were Big Al's,.I mounted the Gas pedal in the v of the steering column hole you will have to build a block to space it out enough so it wont interfere with the bulge in the steel around the column.I also bent the brake arm to the right for a more comfortable location.

I'm not to sure on how to do the link to messages,you can contact the forum and they can help you with this.

Cheers,

lenguini 09-09-2013 12:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I ordered my serpentine system Friday morn from Nick at Prolific Designs.Nick worked with me on my one off design for the main engine plate along with my many other concerns and questions I had.

A special thanks Nick !

I looked at many systems and really wanted one that had a belt tensioner incorporated in with it,that was it's a simple belt change with no guess work adjusting it up.I chose this system as it mounts off the water pump so it's nice and simple.

I cant wait to get it !:cf:

Yesterday and today being Sunday and I routed my hood release cable through holes I drilled up and under the upper rad support flange. This was a real trial getting the holes made,but well worth it in the end.
So I temporarily hooked up the cable after making a post and slightly modifying the release,that will be welded tomorrow.

I tested it and it worked great.Now the idea of the post is to bring the cable up high enough into the rad support body so that its completely hidden.

After the rad support is painted,I will put rubber grommets in the holes as some electrical will be routed through here as well which will explain the oversize holes.;)

I just noticed in the top pic what appeared to be the coating on the cable shaved off(I just ran out to the shop to check )....,was only excess primer I spotted over the new holes.Thank God ! That would have peed me off !!:dohh:

lenguini 09-11-2013 12:55 AM

I ordered my valve covers/breathers and wire looms earlier today. Aluminum Polished 4 1/4 tall finned,matching looms for that old school look. I'm finally getting some closure on engine parts I have been trying to decide on for a year now...,its amazing how many hours I have spent.(wasted)on this stuff:crazy:

I'm currently trying to decide on a brand of an H.E.I. distributor with an integral coil.I was going to go with the Mini style but that means an external coil...,no thanks.It has been proven that an external does not perform as well and will hang off the firewall or cover up the new endurashine intake,so I guess that's a no brainer !

Mid day,I ordered my transmission crossmember.I found the one that will work best for my Truck on Alan's build.

Thanks Alan,I always appreciate your help !

Spent some time in the shop tonight bolting the hood mech back into place.I had the post welded yesterday morn and a hook tab welded today(this morning on the way to work)that I made last night for a return spring for the cable pull.I think that made sense ?

lenguini 09-17-2013 12:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Valve covers,wire looms and their vortec mounts showed up today ! I'm really happy with the product,there are a few on the market so you never know for sure until you receive them.

I'm thinking about powdercoating in between the fins on both covers and looms in a semi-gloss black.

Should have the hood finished by the weekend,so once more bolt it in place and fab up a safety latch in case the claw ever fails.

Ill post some pic's of it soon.

BOXER957 09-17-2013 09:01 AM

Always liked the old time finned valve covers. Looks nice, will look even better on the motor!

lenguini 09-18-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6273320)
Always liked the old time finned valve covers. Looks nice, will look even better on the motor!

I looked at many and these seemed to catch my eye.I was thinking of matching endurashine covers to my intake,but they were shorter at 3 1/2 and a concern with roller rocker clearance.

Guess its time to look at an air cleaner...,round or oval with a tall filter.

BOXER957 09-18-2013 07:03 AM

I'm thinking of changing mine out, I found tall finned covers and a caddy style cleaner that's finned down the center......just gotta remember where I saw them....The set together looked sweet.

lenguini 09-29-2013 12:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The hood is now complete.The center of the hood has been reworked and smoothed.I'm trying to retain some of the original look and just clean it up now that the original hood release is no longer present.

lenguini 09-29-2013 12:36 AM

5 Attachment(s)
All of the factory holes in the front and rear brace have been welded and smoothed.This is going to make a big difference when its sprayed ! Looks a'lot cleaner,well worth the time and effort.

The new hood release pin mount has been boxed and smoothed.There was the option of cutting out the entire area and reforming it,but once again to keep the brace semi original is a much cooler look in my opinion.:ito:

BOXER957 09-29-2013 04:07 AM

Very nice :metal:

lenguini 09-29-2013 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6291016)
Very nice :metal:

Thanks,I appreciate it.Tonight I'm working out a design for a secondary safety latch system in the event the new latch should ever fail.Its never any fun when the hood springs open doing 80mph !

There should be enough room at the front or side of the latch pin box to mount it.:ito:

lenguini 09-29-2013 10:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some pics of the rad support covers mounted back in place.The passenger side originally had a small cutaway for the rad overflow hose.

Because I wanted the covers to match both sides,the passenger side was reworked with a piece welded in along with the factory bead straitened.

The rad overflow now runs to the overflow tank.:ito:

BOXER957 09-30-2013 07:04 AM

Truck is looking sweet, why didn't you keep the original latch as the safety?

lenguini 09-30-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6292510)
Truck is looking sweet, why didn't you keep the original latch as the safety?

Making one out of aluminum and milling out the center.A much better look,fit and function.:ito:

lenguini 10-03-2013 01:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the door panels back from Elgin today....,wrapped in the same color and grain as the seats.I was thinking earlier of painting them,glad I went this route.

I'm really happy that all the contours in the panels show up so well under the wrap,thats what I was hoping for:ito:

McMurphy 10-03-2013 03:03 AM

Oh hell yeah..... this is coming along REAL nice!
I am totally on board with the clean look you have going on here; nicely done :metal:

lenguini 10-03-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6297459)
Oh hell yeah..... this is coming along REAL nice!
I am totally on board with the clean look you have going on here; nicely done :metal:

Thanks my friend,Its nice to finally have things rolling along at a fast pace now !:ito:

BOXER957 10-04-2013 06:09 AM

Love the wrap, was going to do the same on mine but couldn't find leather seats. I'm down with the stainless buttonheads too, I get them by the box from a wholesaler right up the street. Looking great!

lenguini 10-07-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6298849)
Love the wrap, was going to do the same on mine but couldn't find leather seats. I'm down with the stainless buttonheads too, I get them by the box from a wholesaler right up the street. Looking great!

Thanks for the good words. The fastners are actually the factory phillips head repainted.:ito:

lenguini 10-07-2013 01:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I spent a couple hours in the shop today and I think I have the template for the rad cover roughed out to where I'm happy with it.
Going to make it out of stainless rather than aluminum as it will take a little more abuse.:ito:

lenguini 10-20-2013 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here my heads are getting prepped for screw in studs.With more lift this is an absolute necessity ,not to keen on the idea of pinning.

The trans crossmember arrived today.I have reason to believe a trip to the machine shop may be in order as these are close but may require a 1" to 2" block to make all level.Ill know for sure once I move my motor mounts ahead to allow for the tall valve covers and HEI distributor with integral coil.

I have done my research and to date have decided with the Petronix flame thrower distrib.Performance wise,it looks to be the best choice and still made in the USA unlike most others.

TJ's Chevy 10-20-2013 04:21 PM

Truck is looking awesome! Love it! Can't wait to see the 283 finished! I'm watching this one!:chevy:

lenguini 10-20-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6324682)
Truck is looking awesome! Love it! Can't wait to see the 283 finished! I'm watching this one!:chevy:

Thanks,I appreciate it.The engine however is a 383 stroker,I tossed the idea of the 283 a year or so ago as it just wouldn't produce the torque and horsepower I wanted.

Should end up with just over 400hp and 420 to 430 torque.It will be complete and on the dyno at the end of this month.....,and yes there will be pics of that for certain !:ito:

Jeff La 10-20-2013 10:46 PM

Good clean build, waiting for it to all come together, it'll be awesome.