The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My suburban's Twisted Little Sister (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655167)

Nut Case 11-24-2015 01:15 PM

Re: My suburban's Twisted Little Sister

65 Sub, I'm using Flat out front cross member. See if this makes sense. Using the center of the axel, with suspension at settled ride height as a start, then calculate the frame location and attachment points from there? Then bottom of bumpers/roll pans to mother earth. Please put in your 2 cents, thanks Nut Case.
FYI in still in the planning stage, we are down sizing and moving to another house/garage. Therefore trying to get as many ideas now to avoid possible do overs.

65sub 11-25-2015 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nut Case (Post 7387313)
65 Sub, I'm using Flat out front cross member. See if this makes sense. Using the center of the axel, with suspension at settled ride height as a start, then calculate the frame location and attachment points from there? Then bottom of bumpers/roll pans to mother earth. Please put in your 2 cents, thanks Nut Case.
FYI in still in the planning stage, we are down sizing and moving to another house/garage. Therefore trying to get as many ideas now to avoid possible do overs.

It sounds like you have a good start on your plan. I assume Flatout will have instructions for setting the crossmember height . When you're setting the frame height check which is lower the frame or the rockers. I think on the 55-59 the rockers are lower but I'm not positive. Remember the tire diameter will affect the suspension ride height. If I was doing it I would figure out the frame height before I removed the body from the frame. Have you looked at Farmersid's build in the 47-59 section http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938 He built his own crossmember and also has some good info on rotating the hydraulic lines on the rack and pinion

We have been busy catching up on some of the welding but we did do some new work today. We finished the round corner on the front of the upper door opening

Advanced Design 11-26-2015 10:02 AM

Very beefy looking mounts / hinges. The corners look good too. Very nice.

pimpston65 11-26-2015 10:28 AM

Smoke and mirrors, he's really building a 1:24th scale model of a burban!!! ps whats going on with that V12????

LT1 Burb 11-26-2015 11:03 AM

Just went through all 15 pages and all I can say is WOW, nice work.

65sub 12-03-2015 08:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7389555)
Very beefy looking mounts / hinges. The corners look good too. Very nice.

Thanks A.D. Unfortunately that hinge needs some redesign work so stay tuned for version two coming soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7389578)
Smoke and mirrors, he's really building a 1:24th scale model of a burban!!! ps whats going on with that V12????

I'll stick to full size, making all these parts in 1/24 scale would be a pain. The V12 is just sitting and waiting for the rest of the truck to catch up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT1 Burb (Post 7389618)
Just went through all 15 pages and all I can say is WOW, nice work.

Thanks LT1

We finally got the drivers side upper door opening corners built.

deejaaa1 12-07-2015 01:36 AM

OMG! what is takin' so long with this build? just kidding! looks great so far.

pimpston65 12-07-2015 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa1 (Post 7401275)

its taking soo long cuz its gonna look factory, vs a hack job like mine!!!

65sub 12-07-2015 09:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa1 (Post 7401275)

Thanks deejaaa. Building the upper door frame really has taken a lot of time. About 10 weeks since we started.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7401296)
its taking soo long cuz its gonna look factory, vs a hack job like mine!!!

I don't know about factory Pimpston but we'll do our best. With all the NOS parts you are using I don't think " hack job " will describe yours.

Since the upper door frames are about done we thought we would tackle some other projects. We decided to start by finishing the rear frame and body mounting. The first step was to remove the rear door sill and add a brace across the opening

pimpston65 12-07-2015 11:37 PM

Since the upper door frames are about done we thought we would tackle some other projects. We decided to start by finishing the rear frame and body mounting. The first step was to remove the rear door sill and add a brace across the opening[/QUOTE]

please show a detailed repair of this part, cuz I converted my barn doors to clams. I have all the parts, i just would like to see it don't by someone with skills first before I get to chop,cuttin and rebuilding my own...

65sub 12-09-2015 11:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pimpston. I'm not doing a repair on the rear sill. We're going to make up our own panels and extend the upper gate into a single rear hatch. Do you have a barn door sill that you are adding lower gate hinge pockets to or are you changing the whole sill

Today we made a couple of corners and some reenforcing plates. Then we welded the corners to the frame. Next we welded on two strait pieces where the rear bumper will mount.

pimpston65 12-09-2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7404668)
Pimpston. I'm not doing a repair on the rear sill. We're going to make up our own panels and extend the upper gate into a single rear hatch. Do you have a barn door sill that you are adding lower gate hinge pockets to or are you changing the whole sill

Today we made a couple of corners and some reenforcing plates. Then we welded the corners to the frame. Next we welded on two strait pieces where the rear bumper will mount.

im switching to full clams, I have the lower valance and the gates. I mocked the upper gate already. I was just was thinking it would be cool to see you tackle any issue on the lower gate first. of course your going full custom so no issues on your part. ps I have a 3 truck garage now so I cant be your shop rat for awhile!!!

CURSED GEARS 12-10-2015 08:34 AM

Just read all 15 pages. I love over the top builds. Had to mark your thread so I don't lose it!

lower50's 12-10-2015 09:07 AM

Great work guys. I'm really hoping to come see this thing when the snow is gone this spring when I get my '52 on the road. Keep it up this thing is awesome!!

65sub 12-10-2015 10:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7404680)
im switching to full clams, I have the lower valance and the gates. I mocked the upper gate already. I was just was thinking it would be cool to see you tackle any issue on the lower gate first. of course your going full custom so no issues on your part. ps I have a 3 truck garage now so I cant be your shop rat for awhile!!!

I don't think the lower valance will be hard to replace. Just one bolt and some spot welds at each end. I'm sure you won't have any issues. When does reassembly start?
Quote:

Originally Posted by CURSED GEARS (Post 7404906)
Just read all 15 pages. I love over the top builds. Had to mark your thread so I don't lose it!

Well thanks for joining in on our fun. We do like to build things that are different

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7404924)
Great work guys. I'm really hoping to come see this thing when the snow is gone this spring when I get my '52 on the road. Keep it up this thing is awesome!!

Thanks Lower. It would be great if you and your diesel could come and visit. Just let me know when.

The next part of mounting the rear of the body is widening the wheel wells and welding them to the frame. So we started by cutting them in half. Then we cut the inside to fit the frame. Next we spot welded some backing strips to the edges and set the piece in place to measure for the patch.

pimpston65 12-11-2015 12:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
should be soon, but i got myself cornered with the house. now I'm buying NOS mortised lock sets!!! and i pulled all the plastic windows in order from my window guy to make new solid wood sashes for me, the house is from 1919 so I'm keeping it right. once the burb is back and the garage is cleaned and prepped its ON!!!

65sub 12-14-2015 08:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7406008)
should be soon, but i got myself cornered with the house. now I'm buying NOS mortised lock sets!!! and i pulled all the plastic windows in order from my window guy to make new solid wood sashes for me, the house is from 1919 so I'm keeping it right. once the burb is back and the garage is cleaned and prepped its ON!!!

Cool. Even your house gets NOS parts.

I made these brackets for the front shockwaves. They bolt to the LCA where the original leaf spring used to sit.

65sub 12-16-2015 09:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We got the passenger side wheel tub widened 4". Then added a small angle strip and spot welded the tub to the frame.

lower50's 12-17-2015 12:17 AM

Fender looks good. Is the body going to welded or hard mounted to the frame?

Grizz1963 12-17-2015 04:43 AM

Done my daily exercise.... It includes a lot of head shaking in amaze,net at your progress. Makes my crawling about under my truck for a few minutes look pretty shi7.

Looking good man.

Scott2 12-17-2015 02:12 PM

This build is amazing! I am merely struggling with repairing a few panels and typical rust on mine. Projects like this give me inspiration and some great ideas. Great work and I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Kainedogg 12-17-2015 04:31 PM

Very cool build. Twin turbos off the V12 would be awesome/r

65sub 12-17-2015 10:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7413251)
Fender looks good. Is the body going to welded or hard mounted to the frame?

Thanks Lowers. The body is being welded solid. With the narrow roof at the front I wanted the truck to be as stiff as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7413396)
Done my daily exercise.... It includes a lot of head shaking in amaze,net at your progress. Makes my crawling about under my truck for a few minutes look pretty shi7.

Looking good man.

Thanks Rian I'm amazed watching your truck progress too. You're building it on the other side of the ocean from all the suppliers. It has to be quite a challenge at times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 7413813)
This build is amazing! I am merely struggling with repairing a few panels and typical rust on mine. Projects like this give me inspiration and some great ideas. Great work and I can't wait to see how it all comes together.

Thanks for tuning in Scott. I spend a lot of time in the shop and have a lot of fun doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kainedogg (Post 7413946)
Very cool build. Twin turbos off the V12 would be awesome/r

Thanks Kainedog. Twin turbos could be fun.

Today we finished the last patch on the passenger side wheel tub and started on the other side

62stepside longbox 12-17-2015 11:00 PM

Nice work, what are your plans for interior?

65sub 12-23-2015 09:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7414359)
Nice work, what are your plans for interior?

Thanks 62. The interior is going to be aircraft inspired. Aluminum panels, bomber seats, modified '62 dash, lots of gauges, a little bit of black leather.

We decided to fill in the space from the front of the wheel tub to the frame. We made a panel for the passenger side and welded it in place.

65sub 12-23-2015 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We also started working on the rear hatch sill. we cut the last of the old sill off. This showed some rust behind it so we cut some more out which showed more rust. We will have to keep cutting until we find something solid to weld to. We also made the first piece of the new sill so we could test fit it.

Advanced Design 12-23-2015 10:03 PM

Coming along really well! The filler panel looks good.

62stepside longbox 12-23-2015 10:48 PM

Stunning work just as usual

lower50's 12-23-2015 11:03 PM

Sweet!! How much room will you have between the rear fender and the front seat?

65sub 12-25-2015 09:11 PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7421108)
Coming along really well! The filler panel looks good.

Thanks A.D. No one will ever see the panel when the truck is done but I'll know it's there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7421172)
Stunning work just as usual

Thanks 62.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7421199)
Sweet!! How much room will you have between the rear fender and the front seat?

Thanks Lowers. I took some measurements after Christmas dinner tonight and I figure about 23" behind the seat. Maybe just enough room for a small back seat

65sub 12-29-2015 10:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got some more welding done in the last couple of days, We finished welding the panels at the front of the rear wheel tubs. We also patched the rusty areas at the bottom of the drivers side back corner.

Bomp 12-30-2015 12:30 AM

Phenomenal work.
Is it me or is the drive line running over the frame?

Grizz1963 12-30-2015 04:43 AM

[QUOTE=65sub;7414342]
Thanks Rian I'm amazed watching your truck progress too. You're building it on the other side of the ocean from all the suppliers. It has to be quite a challenge at times.

Thank you as well.

If I were making excuses, that would be one of them, the others include being a white collar worker who has to try out scanners to figure which one fits where, and often having to redo stuff as I cannot "see" the sequences as some people can.

Still, it makes for some fun at times.

Your progress on the other hand..... Just wow !!

65sub 12-30-2015 10:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7427809)
Phenomenal work.
Is it me or is the drive line running over the frame?

Thanks Bomp. You're right the driveshaft will go over the frame but since it doesn't move up and down as long as there is room to install it I should be ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7427925)
Your progress on the other hand..... Just wow !!

Thanks Rian It sure is a lot of fun just making stuff up as we go.

Today we decided to work on the rear lower valance. So to start we drilled some bumper mounting holes. Then we finished making the two pieces ( since my bender is to short to make it in one piece) drilled the holes for spot welding. A bunch of clamps to hold everything in place and then a little welding and it's done.

Johnny_Lamebridge 12-30-2015 11:24 PM

Looking good Dale. I'm loving the sheetmetal work.

65sub 12-31-2015 08:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Lamebridge (Post 7428975)
Looking good Dale. I'm loving the sheetmetal work.

Thanks John

Today's progress we added a couple of sheetmetal corner braces on the back corners. Then we finally removed the last of the cross bracing from the back.

Advanced Design 12-31-2015 10:25 PM

Good progress with getting the cross bracing out. You guys sure stay at it consistently. I have this week and my knees are pretty sore.

Bomp 01-01-2016 05:30 PM

Always a good feeling when making progress in the right direction. Mad skillz you have.

lower50's 01-05-2016 01:46 AM

Nice the rear body is standing by itself :) When you get there if you want a small seat look for one from a Jeep. My CJ rear seat is small 2 adults= real cozy.

Jferrante 01-05-2016 08:48 PM

Great work! - Builds like these have motivated me to learn how to weld and fabricate, need to start somewhere. Keep up the great work.