The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

66ChevyMax 03-10-2012 01:04 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Dang, over 4,000 replies
Posted via Mobile Device

lenguini 03-10-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3853245)
Thanks David, and yes it will be flemsy until I get it all back together. I will do tack welds all the way around till it's welded solid. I've got a big sunk in place just forward of that area adjacent to the tape that I hope I can work out as I weld everything back together.

Thanks fellers!!

Just messin' with ya. ;)

:thumbs:

First off I'm thinking about doing a blog about this build. Hopeing in time I could generate some extra cash. There are people out there that make a living blogging. That's basically what I'm doing now just not getting any advertisement money coming in. What's your thoughts. I'd love to do some how too videos, but I could incorporate those into the blog using different products. I just don't know what to do. I love teaching and showing people different techniques just don't know the best way to go about it. Cash doesn't exist to do any thing wild. I don't know if I should use a blogging website or create my own site. I'm so confussed.

Anyway got another set of brake lines because of the one that had some lumps in it. Well the new ones are the same way. Why in the world are they that way. It should be a straight line.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC02231.jpg

I was missing some hardware for my rear brakes. I called O'Rileys and ordered PNH7018 it was only $4.07 with tax.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC02234.jpg

Shannon and I went to the powder coaters tonight. I picked up my radiator saddles that I had done in wet black. The pic doesn't do it justice. They look awesome.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/DSC02232.jpg

This may seem like a silly question Al....but what are the saddles from,are these original for your truck ?

Cheers,
Ed.:ito:

chad64chevy 03-10-2012 04:22 PM

lenguini, i believe those are from a 67-72 chevy truck!

alan, i haven't been checking in on you but have now! truck is looking great i had the same idea about the tag lights thats why i didnt fill in those holes!! now i know what it will look like, thanks!!

niterider65 03-10-2012 10:30 PM

Can't wait to see that hood all slicked out i know its got alot of time in it to
get it this far . looking good .:metal:
:chevy: Bill

shrunken66stroker 03-10-2012 11:52 PM

Checking in. Lookin good, Alan!

Alan's Classic 03-11-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5239959)
i like the license plate lights...saw where you picked up that idea from Jesse...been thinking about getting a year of make plate for mine as well

Thanks , and I forgot to mention where I got the idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 5240526)
Those are the brightest plate lights I have ever seen. I like those they really light up the plate.

:agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 5242751)
Alan here's my exhaust, think I'm just going to end mine with turn downs.

Thanks for posting this Ronnie. I was gonna try to find it. I think I will dump mine at the axle, unless the muffler man can make it work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5242862)
Can't wait to see that hood and trim in place. Awesome truck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, and I was able to get a lot of blocking done Friday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5242945)
Dang, over 4,000 replies
Posted via Mobile Device

Who would have thought that almost 5 years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 5243055)
This may seem like a silly question Al....but what are the saddles from,are these original for your truck ?

Cheers,

Chad is right, 67-72

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5243243)

alan, i haven't been checking in on you but have now! truck is looking great i had the same idea about the tag lights thats why i didnt fill in those holes!! now i know what it will look like, thanks!!

Glad you checked in. I can't keep up with all the new builds going on either. i remember 4-5 years ago it was easy to keep up with everyone's build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by niterider65 (Post 5243836)
Can't wait to see that hood all slicked out i know its got alot of time in it to
get it this far . looking good .:metal:
:chevy: Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 5244066)
Checking in. Lookin good, Alan!

Thanks guys!!

No progress this week end. I did start it and pulled it out because Jimmythompson1964 stopped by to check it out. It's always nice to meet others that have a love for these old trucks. It was nice to meet you and your daughter Jimmy.

Shooters_7 03-11-2012 10:30 PM

I missed it somewhere in here, but what did the seats come out of and how do they fit? I'm 6'2 and with the factory bench there is not much room for the legs!

Alan's Classic 03-11-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shooters_7 (Post 5246095)
I missed it somewhere in here, but what did the seats come out of and how do they fit? I'm 6'2 and with the factory bench there is not much room for the legs!

99 Silverado, I'm 5'10" and I'm comfortable. However, I think there is less leg room than factory seats. Had to make some mods to the console mounts.

jimmythompson1964 03-12-2012 09:18 AM

OK guys...I was able to stop by and see Alan's labor of love and the pictures do not do it justice. I hade a 7 hour ride to get back to KY last night and I kept going over the attention to detail he has done to his truck. It is a trophy truck for sure :metal: I love the tail gate, the bed wood the dash and interior and it sounds good open headers as well. Hey Alan next visit maybe a ride around the block to really get me drooling :frog: Really enjoyed spending a few minutes talking truck with ya, Hope to see ya this spring

Alan's Classic 03-12-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 (Post 5246778)
OK guys...I was able to stop by and see Alan's labor of love and the pictures do not do it justice. I hade a 7 hour ride to get back to KY last night and I kept going over the attention to detail he has done to his truck. It is a trophy truck for sure :metal: I love the tail gate, the bed wood the dash and interior and it sounds good open headers as well. Hey Alan next visit maybe a ride around the block to really get me drooling :frog: Really enjoyed spending a few minutes talking truck with ya, Hope to see ya this spring

Thanks Jimmy!! I didn't even think about giving you a ride. I would want it to be running better. Maybe by then I will have inside door handles so we can get out without rolling down the windows. :haha: BTW, they (handles) should be here this week.

daverod 03-13-2012 12:06 AM

Hard to be cool with no handles.:lol::lol: It worked for "The dukes of hazard".:uhmk:

Dinos63 03-13-2012 11:32 AM

Trucks looks awsum!!

likaroc13 03-13-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5248482)
Hard to be cool with no handles.:lol::lol: It worked for "The dukes of hazard".:uhmk:

can't you just see Alan trying to pull a "Dukes" with his truck, lol...unless he's got mad hops, i bet he'd kick a big dent in the middle of the door, totally missing the window opening :lol:

lenguini 03-13-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5243243)

Thanks,I appreciate the info.

Cheers,

Alan's Classic 03-13-2012 08:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5248482)

Movie magic. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5249076)
Trucks looks awsum!!

Thanks Dino!! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5249106)
can't you just see Alan trying to pull a "Dukes" with his truck, lol...unless he's got mad hops, i bet he'd kick a big dent in the middle of the door, totally missing the window opening :lol:

This white boy can't jump. It would be good for bloopers. :lol:

:bling:

I got stuff in the mail today and had to install first thing. I got inside door handles, B pillar trim, door sills, wiper switch (not installed yet).

BTW if you didn't know already (I didn't) the B pillar trim comes with the bracket on the rear that is rivited on. I seen several times people asking where to get them. The driver side fit great compared to the passenger.

flips72 03-13-2012 08:54 PM

nice:metal:one question though.... are you having trouble not grinning?:lol: i would be you couldnt knock the smile off my face if that was mine.

Strodder 03-13-2012 08:55 PM

Damn Alan your making me sick with envy. :metal::metal::metal:

likaroc13 03-13-2012 09:18 PM

looks awesome! where'd you get the B-pillar trim?

Alan's Classic 03-14-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5250068)
nice:metal:one question though.... are you having trouble not grinning?:lol: i would be you couldnt knock the smile off my face if that was mine.

You would think that. ;) I'm smiling, but it will be much bigger when the hood and chrome side mouldings are done. Don't get me wrong I do love making progress. Still a lot on my mind as far as the truck goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5250073)
Damn Alan your making me sick with envy. :metal::metal::metal:

Get busy old man............:lol: That's right your a lame duck still, due to the surgery. Getting any better?

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5250160)
looks awesome! where'd you get the B-pillar trim?

Thanks, and Classic Industries sends me a 20% off email about once a month, so I took advantage of one.

Strodder 03-14-2012 09:42 AM

Doin really good, but bored to death. All the work I have to do right now is heavy duty, and very dirty. I started to work on light stuff trying to use my left hand only. I'm even thinking of doing a little on my truck. Stuff that won't hurt my right hand. Can't even post pictures though. My build thread is still CLOSED. :uhmk::waah:
I might have to start a new thread to continue with the documentation. ;)

daverod 03-14-2012 10:24 AM

I always wondered what happened to old threads.:mm::waah: People must be getting sick of the guy in the orange truck driving around with a big silly grin on his face.:lol: Have you used up all your insured miles yet? Have you picked any dates for your first car show? You know, like a deadline that you have to have everything by.:mm:

McMurphy 03-14-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5250606)
Thanks, and Classic Industries sends me a 20% off email about once a month, so I took advantage of one.

I got one of those discount postcards from Year One.
Everything I wanted and need from them is discount immune. After a week of pouring thru their online catalog I just tossed the coupon.
I was pretty disgruntled with them by that time LOL.

I am seeking the parts now from other vendors or original manufacturers because of it.
I guess I should go uncheck the email options from my CI account now, 20% would almost cover the some of the shipping up to Alaska.

Congrats on the progress, those sail trims look good!!

Strodder 03-14-2012 02:42 PM

Try these guys. They have some good prices

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/

Strodder 03-14-2012 02:46 PM

Wow I just looked. That side trim is expensive $192.00?? :uhmk:

McMurphy 03-14-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5251510)
Try these guys. They have some good prices

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/

Thanks Dennis, I keep forgetting to look at them, need to add them to my faves list!
I got the Year One for the Camaro parts, looking at things like the headers, and the '69 hideaway head light set ups.
With a 20% discount coupon in hand I was looking at making a 500-1k $$ order, now they can just piss off....
Marketing ploys suck.
Marketing promotionals that are honest are cool!!

----the world according to me. :metal:

Alan's Classic 03-14-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5251007)
Doin really good, but bored to death. All the work I have to do right now is heavy duty, and very dirty. I started to work on light stuff trying to use my left hand only. I'm even thinking of doing a little on my truck. Stuff that won't hurt my right hand. Can't even post pictures though. My build thread is still CLOSED. :uhmk::waah:
I might have to start a new thread to continue with the documentation. ;)

Glad your healing well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5251073)
I always wondered what happened to old threads.:mm::waah: People must be getting sick of the guy in the orange truck driving around with a big silly grin on his face.:lol: Have you used up all your insured miles yet? Have you picked any dates for your first car show? You know, like a deadline that you have to have everything by.:mm:

I haven't got one mile on it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5251462)
I got one of those discount postcards from Year One.
Everything I wanted and need from them is discount immune. After a week of pouring thru their online catalog I just tossed the coupon.
I was pretty disgruntled with them by that time LOL.

I am seeking the parts now from other vendors or original manufacturers because of it.
I guess I should go uncheck the email options from my CI account now, 20% would almost cover the some of the shipping up to Alaska.

Congrats on the progress, those sail trims look good!!

I saved $40 just on the sail trim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5251519)
Wow I just looked. That side trim is expensive $192.00?? :uhmk:

Yes it is. The long trim down the side is @ $400.

Well the time has come after nearly 5 years of nuturing she will be leaving my care for some one else.

:haha: Got ya. I'm having a roll back come get it and take it to K & C Muffler in Dawsonville. Then if I'm brave enough I might drive it 10 miles back to my work to finish up a few things. I feel there is something amiss with the engine. I need to recheck the valve adjustment to see if it's right.

McMurphy 03-14-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5252222)
[COLOR="Blue"]
Well the time has come after nearly 5 years of nuturing she will be leaving my care for some one else.

:haha: Got ya.

Yep, you got me.
I been holding my breath on your build for over a month now, expecting each time I log in to see your last post on this truck.
Some video of you zipping down a country lane into the sunset, big smile on your face, and waving out the window shouting "good bye and good luck!" to the rest of us on our builds.

The idea of you selling it before you really drove it is enough to make Conan cry.

Strodder 03-14-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5252222)
:haha: Got ya. I'm having a roll back come get it and take it to K & C Muffler in Dawsonville. Then if I'm brave enough I might drive it 10 miles back to my work to finish up a few things. I feel there is something amiss with the engine. I need to recheck the valve adjustment to see if it's right.

You didn't fool me ..not one bit. :haha:

Alan's Classic 03-15-2012 10:08 AM

My cam is wiped out.
Posted via Mobile Device

greg65 03-15-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5253137)
My cam is wiped out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a good weekend project. Are you going with the same size?

Strodder 03-15-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5253137)
My cam is wiped out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you use a break in oil additive? :uhmk:

padresag 03-15-2012 11:50 AM

I hope that you didn't contaminate your motor. sorry to hear that Alan
ron

Alan's Classic 03-15-2012 12:09 PM

I did the break in process with break in oil.

I really don't k ow what's going on. I started it to load it on the rollback and it was popping out of the exhaust and would t pull itself on the roll back. When I got to the muffler shop it ran and didn't pop. It also pulled up on the lift at the muffler shop. I'm not sure what I is yet. Once I get it back to my shop I'll pull the valve covers off and check the rockers
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 03-15-2012 02:01 PM

That sucks. I thought that motor already had some miles on it?

flips72 03-15-2012 08:29 PM

are you sure its the cam? cam usally wont stop missing when they start, lets hope for condesation in the dist. cap.

Alan's Classic 03-15-2012 08:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5253157)
Sounds like a good weekend project. Are you going with the same size?

For now I think I jumped to conclusions. It quit popping, but now that the exhaust is quiter it has revealed a knock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5253478)
That sucks. I thought that motor already had some miles on it?

It's got about 500 miles on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5254151)
are you sure its the cam? cam usally wont stop missing when they start, lets hope for condesation in the dist. cap.

I don't know what it was. It quit popping. But have another problem.

When you install the 400 crank the oil pan has to be clearanced. I did that, but I don't remember spinning the crank once I boltedthe oil pan down. It's hard to tell in the video what it exactly sounds like. It's kind of a hollow sound.

Here are the pics of the exhaust. He does really nice work. He had a hard time getting over the long pan hard bar. That's why they aren't symetrical over the axle.

likaroc13 03-15-2012 09:07 PM

well, that sucks about the motor...i really hope it's only minor setback and relatively easy fix...on another note, the exhaust looks really nice! definitely looks like quality work

allaboutchevelles 03-15-2012 09:34 PM

Exhaust looks great alan. Sorry to hear about the motor. I know this wouldnt cause the poping or power loss but a cracked flywheel can make a knocking noise also. My buddy had one crack on his camaro when we were in high school and it sounded like a rod bearing knocking. Just a thought. Hope it turns out to be something simple. good luck.

66ChevyMax 03-15-2012 11:27 PM

Exhaust looks great. Good luck with that motor gremlin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 03-15-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5254243)
well, that sucks about the motor...i really hope it's only minor setback and relatively easy fix...on another note, the exhaust looks really nice! definitely looks like quality work

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5254321)
Exhaust looks great alan. Sorry to hear about the motor. I know this wouldnt cause the poping or power loss but a cracked flywheel can make a knocking noise also. My buddy had one crack on his camaro when we were in high school and it sounded like a rod bearing knocking. Just a thought. Hope it turns out to be something simple. good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5254656)
Exhaust looks great. Good luck with that motor gremlin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm still leaning towards a connecting rod bolt hitting the pan. I did a google for 383 hitting pan and came up with a lot of hits.

I stuck a screw driver to the block with it running and put my ear to it, nothing abnormal. As soon as I touch the pan I could feel it in the screwdriver. I had to stick my ear to it and it sounded like a machine gun.

I'll pull the valve covers first and check things out there to make sure my cam is ok.