The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

OregonNed 07-10-2023 11:42 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

5 Attachment(s)
Refurbished the stock front sway bar after the drop and also got the alignment done - lastly paid $107 to top off the tank for a show Saturday..

pjmoreland 07-10-2023 12:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started the process of installing a Gen 5 Vintage Air kit. Removed the original heater box and painted the blanking plate that takes its place. Just stuck it on there temporarily to see how it will look.

Since the inner fender had to come out to get the heater box out, I took the opportunity to weld up 5 holes that a PO drilled in it. Afterward, the paint I sprayed on it reactivated the paint underneath, making a big mess. I may have to strip it to bare metal and start over.

Also deburred and painted the compressor mounting brackets. I'm thinking about maybe painting the compressor black.

Mryan 07-10-2023 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Grind, grind, grind

'68OrangeSunshine 07-10-2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9218861)
Started the process of installing a Gen 5 Vintage Air kit. Removed the original heater box and painted the blanking plate that takes its place. Just stuck it on there temporarily to see how it will look.

Since the inner fender had to come out to get the heater box out, I took the opportunity to weld up 5 holes that a PO drilled in it. Afterward, the paint I sprayed on it reactivated the paint underneath, making a big mess. I may have to strip it to bare metal and start over.

Also deburred and painted the compressor mounting brackets. I'm thinking about maybe painting the compressor black.

Pat, Do you get a heater with your Gen 5 A/C unit?

pjmoreland 07-10-2023 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9218934)
Pat, Do you get a heater with your Gen 5 A/C unit?

Yes. It's got the evaporator and the heater core both inside the same box that goes under the dash. It cleans up the firewall, but the bummer is that you lose most of your glovebox.

'68OrangeSunshine 07-10-2023 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9218941)
Yes. It's got the evaporator and the heater core both inside the same box that goes under the dash. It cleans up the firewall, but the bummer is that you lose most of your glovebox.

Does Rocky Raccoon have a console between buckets?

pjmoreland 07-10-2023 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9219001)
Does Rocky Raccoon have a console between buckets?

Good point. Yes

'68OrangeSunshine 07-11-2023 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9219009)
Good point. Yes

So you don't need that much volume in the ''Dispatch Box.'' [As our Canadian neighbors call the Glove Box.]

19gmc72 07-11-2023 01:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the cab in epoxy. Realized I need a better “paint booth” and more time behind the spray gun. Next up is the floorboard.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 07-11-2023 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9218430)
installed a bowtie compass. I found this location to be best, minimizing the interference from metal and magnetized items in the dash.

That's very cool, and beautiful interior:chevy:

pjmoreland 07-15-2023 05:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm cutting up the dash I installed a couple years ago to replace a cut up dash. Doesn't feel right.

'68OrangeSunshine 07-15-2023 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9220230)
I'm cutting up the dash I installed a couple years ago to replace a cut up dash. Doesn't feel right.

I'd like to restore A/C on the '71 GMC Jimmy. It had Factory Air when new, but the PO let it go by the time I bought it [1995]. Furthermore --maybe 25 years ago -- I removed a lot of the A/C paraphrenalia and put the parts in a bucket. Then I lost the bucket. Never had the compressor or mounts. So I'd be starting from square one to install A/C. At least the dash vent holes are in the right places -- don't have to cut.
:gmc2:

Chevys4life 07-16-2023 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Put some of my old school decals on the old boy this weekend.

72c20customcamper 07-16-2023 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a great day weather wise but I took off the parking brake lever on the 68 why would they go to the trouble of taping off the lever ? Need to get a cable too

'68OrangeSunshine 07-16-2023 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9220471)
Not a great day weather wise but I took off the parking brake lever on the 68 why would they go to the trouble of taping off the lever ? Need to get a cable too

Get a better grip, maybe? Or to cover the fact that the black paint wore off and it was rusting around the periphery. On my '68 C/10 Stepside, the part of the handle that was in daily contact had rubbed itself to shiny metal -- rusting into black paint outside of the contact area. I re-shot it with Satin Black during a 2005 engine rebuild.
Maybe they taped the steering wheel too, and matched the brake handle to it.
Too many variables to know for certain.
Apologies if I answered a rhetorical question...
:chevy:

72c20customcamper 07-16-2023 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9220472)
Get a better grip, maybe? Or to cover the fact that the black paint wore off and it was rusting around the periphery. On my '68 C/10 Stepside, the part of the handle that was in daily contact had rubbed itself to shiny metal -- rusting into black paint outside of the contact area. I re-shot it with Satin Black during a 2005 engine rebuild.
Maybe they taped the steering wheel too, and matched the brake handle to it.
Too many variables to know for certain.
Apologies if I answered a rhetorical question...
:chevy:

Sure they used a template . The handle is nicely painted and held up well . Just an observation as a little overspray line would have been acceptable . Specially with all the runs my dash had .

72c20customcamper 07-16-2023 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Love the Rust 911 non acid rust remover . One hour soak

'68OrangeSunshine 07-16-2023 06:49 PM

Will you paint it?

72c20customcamper 07-16-2023 07:08 PM

Cleared the bare steel . Going to paint the black tomorrow.

tutone 07-16-2023 10:03 PM

I changed both rear brake cylinders on the 71.
No more seeping I hope.

tutone 07-16-2023 10:04 PM

Duplicate post. Sorry.

pjmoreland 07-17-2023 03:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed the A/C condenser. Routing the lines through the core support was a challenge without removing the grille. Also installed the compressor and figured out the right belt length (Gates 7570). Discovered my lower radiator hose interferes with the belt, so I purchased one that's the right shape and will install it tomorrow.

'68OrangeSunshine 07-17-2023 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9220558)
Installed the A/C condenser. Routing the lines through the core support was a challenge without removing the grille. Also installed the compressor and figured out the right belt length (Gates 7565 barely goes on). Discovered my lower radiator hose interferes with the belt, so I purchased one that's the right shape and will install it tomorrow.

Nice work, Pat.

I tightened the two 9/16 bolts holding my thermostat down on the '71 GMC. I found a pint of bottled water on the cab floor. It was at least 140*. I topped off my recently resoldered radiator with it. Waited for the last bubble and surprisingly the whole 16.9 oz went in up to the neck.

My puke tank project on the 350 has yet to fill the Nova-type reserve container. There are scales of green antifreeze solids forming on the fore manifold top, all around the Thermostat neck. I put a new 160* stat in, in April. I used the provided paper gasket, but used no RTV.
Maybe I need to.
:gmc2:

72c20customcamper 07-17-2023 09:30 AM

Come to the realization that the parking brake handle was dipped not sprayed .

LNP 07-17-2023 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9220600)
Come to the realization that the parking brake handle was dipped not sprayed .

Maybe it was powder coated

doug_p 07-17-2023 12:05 PM

Finished kilmat installation in the drivers side foot well and adjusted the clutch pedal to sit at the same height as the brake pedal, both of which are now approximately 2.5" above throttle pedal height. Unfortunately no pics here at work =(

72c20customcamper 07-17-2023 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LNP (Post 9220666)
Maybe it was powder coated

In 68 ? I highly doubt that . But it’s back together regardless.

Jiggers72-GMC 07-17-2023 04:27 PM

Well done Mark, it looks great ......... new old stock :)

LNP 07-17-2023 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9220675)
In 68 ? I highly doubt that . But it’s back together regardless.

I'm not sure when part manufacturers started using powder coating but I do know it was invented in the 40's. Either way that looks great.

72c20customcamper 07-17-2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LNP (Post 9220747)
I'm not sure when part manufacturers started using powder coating but I do know it was invented in the 40's. Either way that looks great.

Not doubting the timeframe . Lots of new cars have powder coated parts as the price is reasonable and longevity is needed . Around that time it was keep the line moving and sell those trucks . They didn’t care about 5 or 6 year old parts rusting :lol.

Now the heater box looks bad . That will be this falls project should have done it when I painted the interior .

72c20customcamper 07-17-2023 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 9220731)
Well done Mark, it looks great ......... new old stock :)

Helps when the part is nice to begin with . Thanks for the compliment

3757chevy 07-17-2023 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Penka (Post 9216995)
I bought and installed a paint protector that goes around the ignition bezel, i installed some '72 DG4 mirrors that are in super good condition i bought on CL for $30.00 and I drilled the holes to install my lower trim moldings in prep for paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 9218445)
Where you get that paint protector? I could use one of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9218508)
I was wondering the same thing.

Well after searching forever on my own for 2 weeks I found and ordered 2 from JLFabrication.com ...https://jlfabrication.com/collection...b6903769&_ss=r , hope this helps you Rich72C10.

72c20customcamper 07-19-2023 08:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the lighter working . I ended up buying a complete cigar lighter at Autozone it fit the bezel perfectly and had regular flat male connectors so it was easy enough to wire it up . And the chrome socket looks right at home in the truck

un4gvn! 07-19-2023 10:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Decided to put the inner front wheel wells back on. I drove this truck for years with out them. It was easier to work around the engine compartment with out them being in the way. Plus we raced this truck and it made the truck a little lighter plus the help of other parts we took off. Every thing missing is going back on. Racing is over for me.

Steeveedee 07-19-2023 10:26 PM

Looked at prices at a couple of vendors for a replacement grill and some components. Big differences, as in hundreds of dollars for what seem to be similar products. Crazy. I really wish my FiL hadn't butchered the original grill. :uhmk:

Chevys4life 07-20-2023 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by un4gvn! (Post 9221354)
Decided to put the inner front wheel wells back on. I drove this truck for years with out them. It was easier to work around the engine compartment with out them being in the way. Plus we raced this truck and it made the truck a little lighter plus the help of other parts we took off. Every thing missing is going back on. Racing is over for me.

I had to replace my heater core on mine and need to put it back in. It has some rust and don't feel like fixing it and considered just buying new ones. There is always something to do on these old trucks.

72c20customcamper 07-20-2023 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 9221457)
I had to replace my heater core on mine and need to put it back in. It has some rust and don't feel like fixing it and considered just buying new ones. There is always something to do on these old trucks.

The rust would most likely be easier to fix than getting aftermarket inner aprons to fit right .

un4gvn! 07-20-2023 01:29 PM

These are the original GM inners and they were not fun to install. Getting all the holes to line up wasn't easy. We used Chineese inners on our 68 and they went right on. I antisapated (if that's how to spell it) the GM inners were going to be a snap. It took one complete day to install but no drill was used. Lots of putting screw drivers in the holes and lots of prying.

72c20customcamper 07-20-2023 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by un4gvn! (Post 9221485)
These are the original GM inners and they were not fun to install. Getting all the holes to line up wasn't easy. We used Chineese inners on our 68 and they went right on. I antisapated (if that's how to spell it) the GM inners were going to be a snap. It took one complete day to install but no drill was used. Lots of putting screw drivers in the holes and lots of prying.

Never had a problem removing and reinstalling originals . I tried aftermarket’s on my 68 and abandoned that adventure . My originals were nice but I found a set of Arizona take offs . So I still have originals for my next project.

72c20customcamper 07-21-2023 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Something every day or week . I used striping tape to get the hood lip white . Just wanted to make sure I liked it prior to painting . I posted it in my hood thread too