The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

FleetsidePaul 03-30-2023 12:53 PM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 9191726)
500 Year old wood is pretty cool.

That's why the ladies call me that.

kwmech 03-30-2023 12:58 PM

So I think I'll take my mini Excavator and grab part of the arch so I can get more of the tree down. If you look where the cone is...that is where all the pressure is holding it up at the moment.

tutone 03-30-2023 01:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The baby got new shoes today. I am about ready to stop the bleeding on this camaro project. Paint and a very few items will get it. I hope to finish her up in May or June before hot weather.

Ol Blue K20 03-30-2023 03:54 PM

Nice 68 !

special-K 03-30-2023 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 9191761)
Yeah, sits in the shade quite a bit on the north side of the hill. Some of it is about 2'' thick. Gotta brush the chain saw blade back and forth a couple of times to find the trunk. What was kinda funny is that there were tire tracks in the snow under the tree. So it fell sometime in the early morning after somebody in the neighborhood went to work. Couple pics after about 5-6 hours of work

Is that a gap in the guard rail it fell through?

When that treacherous cold blew in hard on Dec 23rd I was driving a road along a reservoir where they had planted white pines for a buffer way back when the reservoir went in. Dense tall pine forest. I noticed motion to the left in the forest and it was a big one coming down. I was actually looking for that to happen, it was so windy and the trees were swaying so bad. I stopped as the tree fell right where I would have been had I not been wary. The tree broke and I was able to drag the top out of the road enough to get through. Had it moved before the guy behind me had a chance to get there. I wasn't spending any more time there than I had to. He said, "That was close!" I agreed and hi-tailed it out of there. We could talk some other time :lol:

FleetsidePaul 03-31-2023 01:53 AM

Called roofers today. I have a small leak at the back of my house. Not bad, no drips but it stained my freshly painted ceiling. They're totally booked. No one available until June. Never call a roofer right after a bunch of storms. Everybody's roof is leaking.

special-K 03-31-2023 05:21 AM

A good roofing company employees service guys to go fix leaks ASAP. I am not a big company, only me. I am not a roofer but I do fix work roofers fail to do correctly. A leak gets priority and the pretty it up job can wait. If the homeowner gripes about that, I tell them this is what you would want me to do if it was your roof that was leaking.

Was there no evidence of water leaking in prior to this work? This work was done after the snow and storms, wasn't it? Didn't the painter notice stains or dampness prior to painting? Or did you not see any watermarking before it was painted? Is it damp now? Maybe it's old watermarking that was painted over incorrectly. Do you have a hose to try to recreate the leak. It's best to analyze it yourself, of one of the guys working on the house, so you know what's up rather than rely on the word of a roofer who may only mess with a job worth more money than what he finds it needs. They would be in the position to tell you whatever they want in order to make the job suit their wants. If it doesn't leak it may be an old issue and the old watermarks are bleeding through. In that case, the painter owns it and a proper re-paint is due at his expense

FleetsidePaul 03-31-2023 07:40 AM

It was stained before. I didn't know if the stain was old or not since the ceiling had popcorn and had never been painted. But I had that scraped off and floated the ceiling. Then it rained and snowed and the stain was back. The roof is tile and doesn't look that old.

special-K 03-31-2023 08:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It could be your roof is fine, basically. I bet the pitch is low and I wonder if with the snow you had some reverse hydraulic flow going on, ice damming basically. It's not like the terra cotta tiles seal to each other. A water test is best way to find out what's going on.

Ugh, I've scraped down and skimmed some popcorn ceilings before. Never fun working overhead, that has to be the worst. I scrape, mostly, from the floor with a long pole. You have to be careful with having less control, but what the heck, it all gets skimmed anyway. Right now I have to paint a ceiling like the one I did last summer. Beaded paneling between 4 x 4s that I wrapped (with boards I put a bigger bead on, then 1/4 round all around. Filling holes, caulking, then painting. I hate it. So tedious and all overhead. I'm getting too old for that. I also have to fill then sand all the seams in the wood I wrapped the 4xs with. I'm dreading going back. Getting paid and hearing "Looks great" doesn't even make it worthwhile. I have to remodel my own bedroom, including raising the ceiling. That will be similar but I'll have exposed hand hewn beams (existing ceiling joists relocated and maybe just drywall between, if walls are paneled. So it ain't over yet!

I took some beginning pictures, then no more. It's the S.O.S. as the other room I already took pictures of. Another thing is all the furniture is in the room, so moving, working around, climbing over and onto the bed... Did I already say I'm getting to old for this shhhhh... (we ask that members refrain from the use of foul language :lol:)

First two are her son's room I'm doing now (son lives in Peru). Last one is her room completed. She stripped the wall paper and had me fix the plaster cracks, skim it all, sand of coarse, and paint. Like I said, "ugh", none of this is my favorite thing to do

kwmech 03-31-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9191859)
Is that a gap in the guard rail it fell through?

Yeah, it kind did. Part of the trunk center punched of the posts. Well I'm done on it. One of my neighbors was being a little bitc...about me taking the firewood and wanted half of it...HALF! Mind you, I was doing ALL THE work. Needless to say we had some words. So I said to take it all and you're responsible for the rest of the work and cleanup then I left everything arched out and under pressure. I'm guessing there is about 5-6 thousand pounds of tree there, so good luck with that without my tractors and my help. The way I see it he'll have to hire out some help. He's 68. Sometimes I just hate neighbors. Glad I'm on 5 acres

Gotenntitans 03-31-2023 03:06 PM

Yesterday, March 30, 2023. Arkansas crappie fish! Big fun & great eating.
https://i.ibb.co/jRzzh7V/76-C01313-3...474683-E80.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/7J1w2x9/3-C326588-4...E702-A4-C8.jpg

Rickysnickers 03-31-2023 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 9192072)

Nice!! I gave up fishing around where I live. I can't even catch a cold here. I used to love salt water fishing in San Diego. This fresh water stuff sucks, for me anyway.

special-K 03-31-2023 09:36 PM

I caught a cold. been fighting a bad one all week. That's some crappie eating right there!

Unbelievable how some neighbors can ass-out just to prevent a good thing from happening. It's first come first serve with wood along the road here. Coming home today I spotted some cut up locust the county boys left laying and I'll be grabbing that tomorrow. I'm wondering if the person who's property it is in front is aware of the laws of the land. I believe it's been there a week or two. I just noticed it's locust and I want!

Steeveedee 03-31-2023 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickysnickers (Post 9192113)
Nice!! I gave up fishing around where I live. I can't even catch a cold here. I used to love salt water fishing in San Diego. This fresh water stuff sucks, for me anyway.

I "fished" along the Snake River back in the mid-70s. Not a fisherman. I kept losing fish because they were too small to get past the worm to the hook, and slid off. :lol: There are pics of me holding up a couple of 6" long catfish (which I didn't catch) in the family archives.

On a happier note, it looks like the person that I've encountered at our rental house appears to be serious about buying it. Woo-Hoo!

Boog 04-01-2023 06:22 AM

Quote:

Nice mess of crappie John. I can smell them from here. ;) I guess you caught those right before the severe weather moved across the state yesterday? I've always heard fish bite good right before a weather front.

best view 04-01-2023 09:30 AM

Nice fish sucky hat :lol:

special-K 04-01-2023 10:12 AM

I was going to say, I tried a hat like that on but it wouldn't fit! :lol: But if anyone else wants to wear one, or has an older FlOoReD that's alright by me

Getter-Done 04-01-2023 10:20 AM

Maybe it's a Tractor hat:lol:

Rickysnickers 04-01-2023 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9192194)
On a happier note, it looks like the person that I've encountered at our rental house appears to be serious about buying it. Woo-Hoo!

:metal:

68bowtie 04-01-2023 02:38 PM

Quote:

Hard to find a better day than that!

Been a long time since I had a crappie slaying like that. We would fillet and batter fry them. Pretty good eating.

special-K 04-01-2023 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've had the worst cold I ever recall having. Lasting longer, worse effects. Really achy, fever, and not even sleeping well. I was about to finish that ceiling job, and a few other things I did at the same place, all just needing paint now. When I got a call 5 windows for this old place had come in. Those folks would be fine with waiting a few days. Then, I've been waiting for the word to start siding on this shed a friend of mine built for the general manager at this home center where I get a lot of work from. I've been waiting since late Jan.

First it was supposed to be roof and siding. Then his vehicle needed a fuel pump and he got sketchy about spending money all at once. Next I find out he had some guy who works at the store do the roof. Ok fine, but my price was for both combined. Now the job got smaller. Then his wife needed a crown and he held me off again. Now he's in a big hurry and I have this other work for people who know what they want and when and I'm sick, really sick.

But Thursday I took some Tylenol and figured I'd get set up and strike a lick until I was too miserable. Let me tell you, I was miserable that night and Friday morning. But I went down and worked again, waiting for the temps to climb out of the 20s, thank you! The guy is nice and he gives me a lot of work, but Jeezy peezy, all he cares about is getting this job done. He asks, "Do you work weekends?". Yeah, when I'm not so sick I should be laying in bed! Plus today we had rain in the morning and 60 mph winds predicted. I'm going back Monday, first thing and finishing that thing up!

BTW, I have never done a job with such crapass footing. That god forsaken rubble they call recycled concrete is the devil's own creation. Might be good for some things, but try walking, let alone while focusing on your work with that rubble rolling out from under you feet, trying to turn an ankle. And kneeling on it is pure torture. My feet were killing me when I got home. I just went for a drive today and not doing much tomorrow. I need to kick this cold out. It seems better today. no Tylenol since 3am. We'll see tonight

best view 04-01-2023 07:00 PM

I’d tell him same price i was doing the roof for free

special-K 04-01-2023 07:34 PM

I had a lot of thoughts, but this guy give my number out as a big source of work for me. often starts with a piddley repair, then turns into a lasting relationship, or at least calls for other work once they gain confidence in me. All about the bread & butter.

I got a call to do a vent stack boot on a house. I have a 1/2 day minimum charge. The homeowner asked me to check the others, I tell him I always do and will give a report on shingle condition as well. He had three other boot, all with the rubber seal bad. I had to get more and come back the next day. Since I already got a half day pay for the one, I cut $50 off to do the other three. He asked about replacing the cheap f49 cent yellowed plastic vents the builder used, that were hard to access due to location, height, aluminum siding/40' ladder, with frail framing beneath, AND one gable wall had a huge holly tree against the house. I said it would require renting a man-lift. I told him I noticed the painted wood trim on the gables up there were due for repaint and would require very little prep at this point. I'd take care of that and he could have a painted do all the lower stuff at his liberty. He agreed to that and asked to also price all the lower painting. I told him since the fascia behind the gutters is the most vulnerable that they should be removed to paint, then reinstall. But I suggested wrapping with color matched aluminum so gutter removal again would not be required. He liked that and asked to also figure new gutter. Then there were two lengths that were hard for him to clean leaves and asked to price my recommended leaf guard.

So, I came back with a total price, with each thing broken out and he took the whole ball of wax, over $7,000! That man-lift made the work a breeze and I did the job M-F. The man-lift was due back Monday morning, so that weekend I took down a big maple at home. The guy was happy and I made good money. Not many jobs go that well, but that's the kind of jobs I get out of this guy I'm doing work for now. So I'm cutting him some slack... this time!! :lol:

special-K 04-01-2023 07:34 PM

I had a lot of thoughts, but this guy gives my number out as a big source of work for me. Often starts with a piddley repair, then turns into a lasting relationship, or at least calls for other work once they gain confidence in me. All about the bread & butter.

I got a call to do a vent stack boot on a house. I have a 1/2 day minimum charge. The homeowner asked me to check the others, I tell him I always do and will give a report on shingle condition as well. He had three other boots, all with the rubber seal bad. I had to get more and come back the next day. Since I already got a half day pay for the one, I cut $50 off to do the other three. He asked about replacing the cheap 49 cent yellowed plastic vents the builder used, that were hard to access due to location, height, aluminum siding/40' ladder, with frail framing beneath, AND one gable wall had a huge holly tree against the house. I said it would require renting a man-lift. I told him I noticed the painted wood trim on the gables up there were due for repaint and would require very little prep at this point. I'd take care of that and he could have a painter do all the lower stuff at his liberty, and not have to pay a premium for the high work. He agreed to that and asked to also price all the lower painting. I told him since the fascia behind the gutters is the most vulnerable that they should be removed to paint, then reinstall. But I suggested wrapping with color matched aluminum so gutter removal again would not be required. He liked that and asked to also figure new gutter. Then there were two lengths that were hard for him to clean leaves and asked to price my recommended leaf guard.

So, I came back with a total price, with each thing broken out and he took the whole ball of wax, over $7,000! That man-lift made the work a breeze and I did the job M-F. The man-lift was due back Monday morning, so that weekend I took down a big maple at home. The guy was happy and I made good money. Not many jobs go that well, but that's the kind of jobs I get out of this guy I'm doing work for now. So I'm cutting him some slack... this time!! :lol:

Gotenntitans 04-01-2023 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9192228)
Nice mess of crappie John. I can smell them from here. ;) I guess you caught those right before the severe weather moved across the state yesterday? I've always heard fish bite good right before a weather front.

Thursday at Lake Greeson. Beat the bad weather by one day.

Gotenntitans 04-01-2023 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 9192252)
Nice fish sucky hat :lol:

https://i.ibb.co/KqRYpbV/image.jpg
Ha…..I have my grandpa’s 67 Ford F100 that I drive around, especially during Fall hunting season. I found that hat on eBay. It’s my orange hunting hat. Just happened to toss it on before I floated the boat that morning. Brought me some luck…..:)

special-K 04-02-2023 05:43 AM

Nothing wrong with that hat, as long as it doesn't give you headaches :lol:

Nothing wrong with a '70s or earlier Ford truck either. Just because "I" prefer one thing doesn't make the other thing suck.

Nothing wrong with a well full of crappie either!

FleetsidePaul 04-02-2023 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9192538)
Nothing wrong with that hat, as long as it doesn't give you headaches :lol:

Nothing wrong with a '70s or earlier Ford truck either. Just because "I" prefer one thing doesn't make the other thing suck.

Nothing wrong with a well full of crappie either!

I dig the 70's Ford's. There was an early 70's 4X4 shortbed for sale by the highway. I couldn't stop because I had an appointment. When I went back it was gone. :( Musta been a deal because it sure didn't last long.

I've never had Crappie. But I've taken them.

3757chevy 04-02-2023 02:35 PM

I thought crappie was an attitude. :)

68bowtie 04-02-2023 03:26 PM

Lol

FleetsidePaul 04-03-2023 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9192886)
I thought crappie was an attitude. :)

It is but it's also what I call my internet service.

It was date night tonight. I took my better half out to a little local steakhouse. The food is great but they are hardly ever open and when they are the place is packed. I don't really understand that business model but if it works for them then more power to em. I took my Corvette. I hadn't driven it in a while and forgot just how nice it is to drive. It was a nice evening. :)

dave6672 04-03-2023 10:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heading out camping for most of the week.

LockDoc 04-03-2023 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6672 (Post 9193325)

Neat camper. Looks like fun.

LockDoc

FleetsidePaul 04-04-2023 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9193336)
Neat camper. Looks like fun.

LockDoc

That does look cool. I'd love to have one but the price of those canned hams have gone crazy. Plus if I was confined in such a small space with my wife somebody would end up dead and it wouldn't be her. :hc:

I went to the small market by my house today. I dislike going there. The people that work there act like you are bothering them just by checking out. Nobody's ever there so I guess I am bugging them just by shopping there. And don't even try to ask where something is or you'll get snake eyes. What a pest I am by being the only customer. :rolleyes:
So. Today. I buy my groceries and a carton of cigarettes. They never bag the cigarettes for some reason. I have no idea why but all the markets do it. Probably some nanny California thing. When I get to my car it hit's me. Did I put the cig's in the bag? Nope. Not there. I left them inside. Dang it! :dohh: So I get my cane back out and limp back in.

Sure enough there are my smokes just sitting on the checkstand and the checkout guy standing there just staring at the wall. Not another customer in sight. He says "You forgot those' Really? Thanks for telling me as:censored:hole. He never offered a heads up or to help even though it was pretty obvious that I had a hard time walking back in and he didn't look too busy. I'm never going back there. Local business or not, close to home or not. I'm driving past it next time. I won't bother them again by buying things. They are just downright rude.

best view 04-04-2023 07:54 AM

To be honest he was trying to help you by not letting you smoke them

special-K 04-04-2023 08:17 AM

HE forgot those, as far as I'm concerned. It's up to the clerk to be sure you got all the goods you just shelled out for.

tutone 04-04-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6672 (Post 9193325)

Good looking rig. I pull mine once a year to Bowling Green (3 hours), with the 55 to the tri 5 nats. Stay 3 days and park it. This year, I want to build a hidden hitch for the 71, but the 700 r4 makes me leary. I pulled mine with my 72 and a t350 with no problems. They are lots of fun.

FleetsidePaul 04-04-2023 09:35 AM

I figured I'd catch some heat for mentioning cigarettes. But I am a smoker. I love my cigarettes. That's not popular today I know. Smokers are looked down as a pariah to society these days. I have some health problems that are not related to smoking whatsoever. I get good checkups at the doctor. My health issues are due to Covid and hitting my head really hard and knocking my balance all out if whack. Getting older doesn't help either. Hopefully it will get better but so far not so much.

I seem to dodge bullets. Every male in my family has diabetes. I don't. My lungs are good even with the cigs. I don't even cough. I could suck a golf ball through a garden hose. Not that I would. Not for less than 20 bucks. :lol:

My brother was a health fanatic. No drinking. No smoking. No fatty foods. No nothing. Except young blondes. But that could be considered exercise I suppose. He would lecture me on smoking.:rolleyes: He dropped dead and I'm still here. So much for healthy living. I'm going to do what I want. Bring on the 3 day old chili dogs! :metal:

dave6672 04-04-2023 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9193388)
Good looking rig. I pull mine once a year to Bowling Green (3 hours), with the 55 to the tri 5 nats. Stay 3 days and park it. This year, I want to build a hidden hitch for the 71, but the 700 r4 makes me leary. I pulled mine with my 72 and a t350 with no problems. They are lots of fun.

Yeah, for years I pulled it with a 91 C1500 and had to rebuild the 700R4 in it. Especially after if lost all of its fluid, due to an after market cooler ruptured, going down I75. Coasted over to the side and the camper was covered in red fluid!

Steeveedee 04-04-2023 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6672 (Post 9193611)
Yeah, for years I pulled it with a 91 C1500 and had to rebuild the 700R4 in it. Especially after if lost all of its fluid, due to an after market cooler ruptured, going down I75. Coasted over to the side and the camper was covered in red fluid!

:lol: Sorry about that transmission, but that camper will never rust! Same thing happened to me one time with an '82 Caprice wagon. We were headed to a piano recital :rolleyes: that featured a friend of my eldest son's. Thankfully the trans blew up on the way there, rather than on the way home. ;) As I was moving over off the freeway, the billowing smoke got people to move out of my way right quick! I wonder how many cars had to go to the carwash and get all that oil washed off. :D