The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

hemifalcon 03-16-2012 12:50 AM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

...I'm by far an expert in the matter or methods of diagnosing engine issues.. But, that definitely has that "hollow" sound that you mention which sould not be indicative of anything in the valvetrain.. I think you should just pop the oil pan off and see what's going on..

chad64chevy 03-16-2012 01:59 AM

alan, i was thinking that it might be something in the oil pan, but i dont know what kind of oil pan you are using! if its a stock oil pan then its going to rub, the stroke on a 400 is different then a 350

padresag 03-16-2012 10:38 AM

I would chk the flex plate for cracks first as that is a lot simpler than pulling the pan and finding nothing wrong there and then find it was the flex plate
ron

cjracing15 03-16-2012 11:30 AM

Eaxust looks awesome! It's hard to tell from the video bu, that does not sound like a loose rod or main. That does sound like something is hitting something low. Sorry u haveing this trouble. But I think it's going to be easy to fix once u find the noise. Good luck man.

McMurphy 03-16-2012 01:25 PM

Alan if you shoot me a PM with a good mailing address I will send you an old sthescope. People rotate thru Military hospitals every 6 months, new in-old out and providers tend to leave things like these behind so I have quite a few of them.
I use it every once in a while with a long metal rod just to "listen in" on my engines.

If you would like I will shoot one off to ya.

Strodder 03-16-2012 02:50 PM

Don't ignore that noise. This could happen. :haha:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...91517760_n.jpg

awbrown 03-16-2012 03:52 PM

Alan , I diagnose that stuff all the time and a 3 ft piece of hose heald to the ear and touching the areas that you think the sound is coming from will tell you real quick where it is coming from .. also a handy way to find loose rockers ... but if it is hitting the pan or the baffle you should be able feel it with your hand on the pan... good luck my friend ,I have been through that before...

McMurphy 03-16-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5255583)
Don't ignore that noise. This could happen. :haha:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...91517760_n.jpg

Just out of curiosity Dennis, what exactly happend there. Obviously it blew out the bottom of the block (like WOW) but what caused that much damage ...... ???

C@rnut001 03-16-2012 04:58 PM

Probably revved over 10,000 rpms....these big, expensive drag engines take a lot, but most don't like the over rev....and they tend to scatter pretty big when they blow under power....

Strodder 03-16-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5255686)
Just out of curiosity Dennis, what exactly happend there. Obviously it blew out the bottom of the block (like WOW) but what caused that much damage ...... ???

I have no idea. I stoled the picture from FACE BOOK. :lol:
I'm sure it has to a race cars engine with gobs of HP. :uhmk:

theastronaut 03-16-2012 06:17 PM

That pic reminds me of this vid. This has got to be the biggest engine blow ever.

Strodder 03-16-2012 06:23 PM

The rods were still good. It had too much boost. :haha:

padresag 03-16-2012 06:27 PM

sometimes there is perhaps a little to much fuel and it doesn't just all jive at the same time, boom
ron

Strodder 03-16-2012 08:04 PM

Those engines are like a Controlled BOMB!! :nx:

shrunken66stroker 03-17-2012 12:19 AM

Most of the time something breaks in the valvetrain and an intake valve gets stuck open, fills the cylinder full of fuel and bang. Could also have been too much pressure. Alan is about 7600 short of the horsepower the top fuelers are making but should still check it out.

Alan's Classic 03-20-2012 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hemifalcon (Post 5254832)
...I'm by far an expert in the matter or methods of diagnosing engine issues.. But, that definitely has that "hollow" sound that you mention which sould not be indicative of anything in the valvetrain.. I think you should just pop the oil pan off and see what's going on..

I wish it was that easy to pop the oil pan off. ;) I have to raise the engine up at least 2 inches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5254920)
alan, i was thinking that it might be something in the oil pan, but i dont know what kind of oil pan you are using! if its a stock oil pan then its going to rub, the stroke on a 400 is different then a 350

Yeah I clearanced the oil pan for that. At least I thought I had it good enough, but don't remeber rechecking it after I bolted it down. :dohh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 5255287)
I would chk the flex plate for cracks first as that is a lot simpler than pulling the pan and finding nothing wrong there and then find it was the flex plate
ron

I looked at it and didn't see anything that looked like a crack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjracing15 (Post 5255365)
Eaxust looks awesome! It's hard to tell from the video bu, that does not sound like a loose rod or main. That does sound like something is hitting something low. Sorry u haveing this trouble. But I think it's going to be easy to fix once u find the noise. Good luck man.

Thanks for the comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5255502)
Alan if you shoot me a PM with a good mailing address I will send you an old sthescope. People rotate thru Military hospitals every 6 months, new in-old out and providers tend to leave things like these behind so I have quite a few of them.
I use it every once in a while with a long metal rod just to "listen in" on my engines.

If you would like I will shoot one off to ya.

thanks!! I might take you up on that. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by awbrown (Post 5255642)
Alan , I diagnose that stuff all the time and a 3 ft piece of hose heald to the ear and touching the areas that you think the sound is coming from will tell you real quick where it is coming from .. also a handy way to find loose rockers ... but if it is hitting the pan or the baffle you should be able feel it with your hand on the pan... good luck my friend ,I have been through that before...

I'll give that a shot, never tried a hose before. Thanks

Haven't been able to fool with it. Most of the reason is no time, but some of it is I don't want to. Kind of disheartening. I'll power thru it.

has anyone use this type of oil pan gasket? My block falls into the year range for this gasket, but I read tonight it is for a thin front gasket, and I believe I have a thick one I'm not really sure. I thought it might be easier to deal with under the trruck.

jimmythompson1964 03-21-2012 07:59 AM

I had a stock pan on my 383 and did the same thing, my friend just finished the motor in his 84 put a stock pan on it and the same noise. I am sure you will leave no stone unturned to find both issues power and noise and then burn up some asphalt

Alan's Classic 03-22-2012 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 (Post 5265456)
I had a stock pan on my 383 and did the same thing, my friend just finished the motor in his 84 put a stock pan on it and the same noise. I am sure you will leave no stone unturned to find both issues power and noise and then burn up some asphalt

:thumbs:

OK, the pan gasket above had the thin front gasket and I didn't use it. i went with the standard cork.

Dropped the pan last night and found where it was rubbing. Massaged it a little and with Shannon's help we got the pan installed tonight.

The rubbed place is the shinny spot between the 2 reliefs.

66BowTieBoy 03-23-2012 10:35 AM

Hey Alan,

Glad to see your C.S.I. skills solved the mystery, but I never doubted you for a second.

Looking forward to the next tire smoke'n video.

You are an inspiration....!

Danny

jimmythompson1964 03-23-2012 10:42 AM

I put a small block 400 pan on my friends motor and fixed the problem just ordered one from Summit. Glad you found the problem you have to be breathing a little easier and sleeping better

Alan's Classic 03-24-2012 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 5269798)
Hey Alan,

Glad to see your C.S.I. skills solved the mystery, but I never doubted you for a second.

Looking forward to the next tire smoke'n video.

You are an inspiration....!

Danny

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 (Post 5269804)
I put a small block 400 pan on my friends motor and fixed the problem just ordered one from Summit. Glad you found the problem you have to be breathing a little easier and sleeping better

Jimmy, I'm a little slow sometimes. ;) I actually thought of that when I took the pan off and checked Jegs for a 400 pan and couldn't find one. I should have thought about it when I ordered this pan 2 years ago. Anyway problem is fixed. Thanks for the input.

Got everything buttoned up this morning and was jonesin' to drive around town. I made a 7 miles round trip. Stopped at the gas station to try the pump to see if I got any splash back. Tried full blast and the pump justed stopped. It filled pretty good when I throttled it just below full blast. Then to church for work day.

It was funny watching people as I went by. Alot of pointing and lookin'.

scotts62 03-24-2012 03:04 PM

Very good looking truck Alan!! I bet the feeling is great driving it finally!! :metal: :metal: :metal:

likaroc13 03-24-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5272238)
It was funny watching people as I went by. Alot of pointing and lookin'.

gotta love that feeling! :metal:

pdxhall 03-24-2012 03:34 PM

It's great to see your truck on the street. I've been following since I found this site and your build has given me inspiration more than once to keep going. I knew when I started mine that it would be a long process and seeing your accomplishments helps my motivation.

FetchMeAPepsi 03-24-2012 04:15 PM

Same here PDXHall. I've been reading this thread since I joined and it's kind of a "you can do it!" to see him behind the wheel and toodling around town after all the hard work.

Congrats Alan!

When do you want me to drop off mine? Don't want you getting out of practice now :D

flips72 03-24-2012 06:00 PM

congradulations alan, extremely happy for you, cant wait to see it in person.

Strodder 03-24-2012 08:32 PM

Lookin great Alan. Glad your using good gas. :metal:
Now everywhere you go you'll be answering questions about your truck. You won't be able to even go to the grocery store without someone stopping you to talk. :blah:

66ChevyMax 03-24-2012 09:18 PM

Labor of love that you will be telling people about for many years to come. Congrats
Posted via Mobile Device

LEEVON 03-24-2012 09:26 PM

Alan, the truck looks great (my favorite color). I've enjoyed your build thread over the last couple of years. Hope you get lots of windshield time!

Alan's Classic 03-24-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 5272289)
Very good looking truck Alan!! I bet the feeling is great driving it finally!! :metal: :metal: :metal:

Yes, it is Scott. The smile gets bigger every time. BTW, thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5272297)
gotta love that feeling! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 5272332)
It's great to see your truck on the street. I've been following since I found this site and your build has given me inspiration more than once to keep going. I knew when I started mine that it would be a long process and seeing your accomplishments helps my motivation.

Thanks for bearing with me during this process. This build will be around for a long time. I say that because, I still have a lot to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FetchMeAPepsi (Post 5272377)
Same here PDXHall. I've been reading this thread since I joined and it's kind of a "you can do it!" to see him behind the wheel and toodling around town after all the hard work.

Congrats Alan!

When do you want me to drop off mine? Don't want you getting out of practice now :D

:lol: Thanks for the comments

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5272492)
congradulations alan, extremely happy for you, cant wait to see it in person.

Thanks, man. i can't wait to see yours as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5272711)
Lookin great Alan. Glad your using good gas. :metal:
Now everywhere you go you'll be answering questions about your truck. You won't be able to even go to the grocery store without someone stopping you to talk. :blah:

I answer a bunch of questions today. ;) It won't be going to a grocery store unless there is a show in the parking lot. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5272795)
Labor of love that you will be telling people about for many years to come. Congrats
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, and I hope so. Just wish I went with an LS. Your ride will be and already is a conversational piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5272816)
Alan, the truck looks great (my favorite color). I've enjoyed your build thread over the last couple of years. Hope you get lots of windshield time!

Me TOO!! ;)

I forgot to mention this.

At the muffler shop I had an old geezer tell me I had my bumpers on upside down. I said no and he disagreed saying he just sold a 66 that was all original and his bumpers were right. I just said ok and went on.

Still insearch of a steering wheel. The 15" 59 Impala whell i wanted is $360. i can't do that right now. I found others styles cheaper, but undecided on what would look good for $150, suggestions..........

XtechX 03-24-2012 10:19 PM

Really cool Alan, Glad to see you have it on the road!!! I'm about to get mine on the road too, bolt the seats down, final timing, and alignment and "Hear.. We.. Go!"

allaboutchevelles 03-24-2012 11:10 PM

Hey Alan, Your truck looks so good sitting at the pump, You have done an excellant job on it. Will you be coming or possibly driving your truck to the Charlotte auto fair april 24th weekend??? Me and flips are going to meet up there on saturday. I would LOVE to see your truck in person!!

Woogeroo 03-25-2012 12:46 AM

Woo hoo back on the road and at the gas station, congrats AC !

-W

duallyjams 03-25-2012 08:05 AM

That's a really good stance , looks good with the tinted glass, can't wait see it with the hood on it.Bet that was a fun 7 mile ride.

Palf70Step 03-25-2012 08:12 AM

:metal:Running Trucks:metal:

chevy_man5 03-25-2012 09:19 AM

Way to go Alan!! Congrats on getting the knock problem fixed, and getting her on the road!

We are all going to be expecting a burnout video here soon!! Come on...you know you want to! LOL

shortbed70 03-25-2012 10:03 AM

Wow I had to go back and catch up on this and that knock sounded nasty! Glad it was a simple fix or sum what simple. Trucks looking good Alan..
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 03-25-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 5272939)
Really cool Alan, Glad to see you have it on the road!!! I'm about to get mine on the road too, bolt the seats down, final timing, and alignment and "Hear.. We.. Go!"

IThanks, I looked for your build thread, I thought you had one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5273029)
Hey Alan, Your truck looks so good sitting at the pump, You have done an excellant job on it. Will you be coming or possibly driving your truck to the Charlotte auto fair april 24th weekend??? Me and flips are going to meet up there on saturday. I would LOVE to see your truck in person!!

I won't make it this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogeroo (Post 5273189)
Woo hoo back on the road and at the gas station, congrats AC !

-W

Thanks Scott!

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 5273398)
That's a really good stance , looks good with the tinted glass, can't wait see it with the hood on it.Bet that was a fun 7 mile ride.

Thanks, and it was pretty enjoyable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 5273401)
:metal:Running Trucks:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5273447)
Way to go Alan!! Congrats on getting the knock problem fixed, and getting her on the road!

We are all going to be expecting a burnout video here soon!! Come on...you know you want to! LOL

Soon, my son. ;) Patience grasshoppa. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5273520)
Wow I had to go back and catch up on this and that knock sounded nasty! Glad it was a simple fix or sum what simple. Trucks looking good Alan..
Posted via Mobile Device

Really discouraging at first, but I got over it and it was a pretty simple fix.

My pastor informed me that he will be using me in his sermon today. I didn't know what to expect. I went to the early service to hear it and filmed a portion of it at the 11:00 service. It was tied into the last thing Jesus said on the cross. "It is finished". I wish I could say that for my truck right now and some day I will. Sorry for the low audio, but hope you get the jest of it. It was a longer video. i had to cut it short because I covered the mic on my phone and couldn't hear anything. The last thing he says in the video is one day he can step back and say "It is finished".

gimmy 64 03-25-2012 08:21 PM

that is crazy funny but true. the only problem we all have is----- IT'S NEVER FINISHED

4dranch 03-25-2012 08:55 PM

Very cool Alan...