The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

markeb01 10-15-2011 08:05 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Still debating whether or not to remove the factory door mirrors and go back to the peep mirror I started using around 1970. It's a lot of work filling the holes and repairing the paint for something that doesn't need to be done at all. The peep mirror sure looks better though and I like that it's much less vulnerable since it tucks in tight against the body.

jonzcustomshop 10-15-2011 08:13 PM

just about finished up the engine/suspension swap in my wifes 63, it now has a pontiac 455,a th 350, and an 87 suburban 5 lug disc cross member...

markeb01 10-15-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 4955281)
just about finished up the engine/suspension swap in my wifes 63, it now has a pontiac 455,a th 350, and an 87 suburban 5 lug disc cross member...

Looking forward to photos of that engine swap. Sounds like a great choice.

crazyj chevy 10-15-2011 09:25 PM

pulled the heater out of the truck and see wy it dose not work. it is completly full of a mouse nest and now im looking for a heater because i sandblasted all the parts and painted them but they still smell like there was a mouse in them if you know what i mean!

LSXTravis 10-15-2011 09:40 PM

I met a guy and bought a 12 bolt 5x5 lug rear end for the 1965 C10 I am going to start restoring soon. Getting the right parts takes time and effort in order to get your truck built to your specifications.

A.T. RockDriller 10-15-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 4955059)
Went for a ride... up in the hills for a little picnic. Nice!

Wonderful "time capsule" type of shot....Just beautiful.

jonathan-m 10-15-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oem4me (Post 4955059)
Went for a ride... up in the hills for a little picnic. Nice!

What a beautiful picture. Hope you all had a great time.

jonathan-m 10-15-2011 11:56 PM

Today I took the truck out to do some hiking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/IMG_1095.jpg

Tomorrow evening I've got a little date, so I washed the old girl inside and out. Paints a little wacky, sure, but at least she'll be clean and presentable haha.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k/IMG_1062.jpg

niterider65 10-16-2011 01:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
did a a little cleanin parts to get ready for rebuilding :uhmk::chevy:Attachment 814936

Attachment 814937

niterider65 10-16-2011 01:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
:chevy::devil:

pdxhall 10-16-2011 07:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Separation! My son and his friends came over today and lifted the body off the frame for me. All I had to do was supervise.:metal:

Now I can finish up the frame and then attack the body work.

A.T. RockDriller 10-16-2011 10:50 PM

Happy times....hall.

If there's anything you need, I'd be pleased to show up an' lend you a hand.

(that aint yer cue to say..Bring your DA an some 220 grit stickies an take care of sanding the inside top of my cab)

I'm glad yer boys took care of your light work.....

pdxhall 10-17-2011 12:18 AM

Thanks for the offer Less. It looks like you've got your hands full with your projects. Same offer back at you. If you need some help with anything, give me a hollar. You tellin me you don't like that upside down sanding? LOL I'm hoping I can get the cab on it's back or somethiing before I get to that point. I'm getting to old for all that bending and twisting. It just kicks my ass.
:josh:

thebatii 10-17-2011 01:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Im begining to think this truck is cursed.....

I fix one thing and something else goes north, However today I think I may have won the battle. After fixing the leaking speedo cable and checking all the trans lines. I think I got it to stop bleeding all over my driveway.

I then moved on to the running off the battery issue and put a new regulator on at which point it still wouldn't charge the system.
So after taking a little break 2-3 hours......... I rewired the alternator and bingo we now have 14.2 v to the battery .....I hate wiring issues.

So all in all it was a good day even thought it looked like the truck was eatting me alive most of the day. lol

Rich 5150 69 10-17-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebatii (Post 4957467)
Im begining to think this truck is cursed.....

I fix one thing and something else goes north

So all in all it was a good day even thought it looked like the truck was eatting me alive most of the day. lol

These trucks are fun huh, hey once you get all the po junk fixed they are reliable...how`d you make out on the starter issue..?

losthope 10-17-2011 02:05 AM

not today but saturday! went to the local car show "Mala Noche" 1st annual, I rode in with "glendale" and another car club member in their mopars.Got to see the local guys and their c10's and met "GGinferno" for the first time which was cool!Was a great show hope it happens next year. Didnt take alot of pic's but here's some:

The local boys:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...ennz/006-9.jpg

"Glendales" 51 plymouth:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...ennz/008-7.jpg

Another club members 50 dodge:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...nnz/012-10.jpg

Good friend Jhonnys 38 bomb and my dad's green 51 dodge:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...ennz/010-8.jpg

A.T. RockDriller 10-17-2011 02:10 AM

Nice....Timmy

Looks like a great day.

Rich 5150 69 10-17-2011 02:12 AM

Tim your dad`s 51 looks good, I learned to drive in a `49 dodge...that was in `61...memories...:lol:

thebatii 10-17-2011 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 (Post 4957539)
These trucks are fun huh, hey once you get all the po junk fixed they are reliable...how`d you make out on the starter issue..?

Rich I just threw the old starter in with the all thread and didnt even jb welt the back of the broken off threads and shim the broke side with a large washer and bolted it up!!! I did make a 1/4 L bracket for the front of it (from the starter to the block just off the dip stick bolt) so that it would't twist on me and works like a charm....even when it get a little warm from the headers.
Just need to get the timing lowered ...but another day

have a blessed one
thanks for asking

Chvyman1975 10-18-2011 12:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to lowering the torsion bars on the Mistress and rolled her outside to get a glimpse of the new ride height. Over the weekend got the 327 fired up and got to hear the gear drive whining. Sounds sweet I will post a video of it running as soon as I figure out how to get it off my phone....lol

smilts60 10-19-2011 04:30 AM

Finaly got back to work on the ole girl.. got as far as I could by myself with removing the cab. Hopefully by the weekend ill have it off on stands and start working on removing the bed, so I can finaly get to work on the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

Handfull 54 10-19-2011 05:07 AM

I sent my truck out to get the interior done. When it gets back I'll install the bumpers, rear glass, and the tail gate.

65Gregg 10-19-2011 06:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started the install of my No Limit shock relocation kit. I am taking the CPP 5" springs, shock relocation kit and drop shocks off. The new stuff will be 3" CPP springs with a 2" block and the shock kit. One side is done, one to go. I am anxious to see if the ride softens up. I am also wanting to see if the handleing improves. The other way was ok very firm but my wife didn't like it.

Hipper 10-19-2011 06:49 PM

Started work on the camper part of my 65 on last monday and tuesday. had the week off, was going to work on it this weekend but on our trip last week had the head gasket go out on the wifes van on the way home. So I will be putting head gaskets on the mini van instead!!! YIPPI:waah:

waspp 10-19-2011 10:11 PM

My son and I managed to tip up the cab so I can replace some cab braces and weld in a few other pieces on the cab floor. It's not the typical method i'm sure but I am under time pressure to get the cab repaired and on the frame so I can roll it into the garage for winter. I plan to paint the firewall and frame section under the cab so that part is done.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...1016111149.jpg

J.Cagle 10-19-2011 10:39 PM

I got some work done on my inner fenders tonight. The front edges were rusted out really bad like most are. No access to a welder, so I went against any and all auto body schooling/experience I have and fiberglassed it. lol. Used fiber glass mat, air filed flat, coated with short strand, and filed flat. I then skim coated with body filler and block sanded it by hand and got it in primer tonight. Gave me something to do while I wait for my new tranny crossmember to come in ha.

smilts60 10-19-2011 11:00 PM

Didnt do much but I did manage to get the windshield removed all by my lonesome notto bad a job.

fryer1979 10-20-2011 06:45 AM

Put the driver's side window back on the track and frame, replaced the gauge light bulds, then drove her 40 miles to work. I'm really starting to get the itch to get some work done on her, trying to resist (lack of time to follow through), but I don't know how much longer I can hold off.

niterider65 10-20-2011 07:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more sanding finishing up on the inside of the cab and around the window and roof lip . :lol::uhmk::metal:

niterider65 10-20-2011 07:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
just a couple of more of the sanding of inside hope to put it in primmer this weekend stilll need to finish stripping the doors :metal::chevy:

MisterC 10-20-2011 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
First thing I did today was to install my new horn ring that the Mrs. surprised me with. She snuck into my excel file, found it on Ebay and bought it for me. Yes, Yes...she's a keeper!

The next thing I did was to replace my fuel tank sending unit, yet again. The PO gave me one with the truck, but the float preferred to sink instead of float.

Lastly I got under the bed and removed the rats nest posing as trailer wiring.

Not a whole lot of time, but one of those days that leaves you feeling very satisfied.

towersddg9 10-21-2011 10:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple shots before I mount it back on the frame

cb1965 10-21-2011 11:04 PM

installed the door felt kit, still need to finish driver door. also installed new tail

lights, tail light housing and back up lights glass. not much but what a

difference it makes.

narx66gmc 10-21-2011 11:28 PM

I drove it!!!! Got insurance on it!! Made everyone at work jealous!! Got thumbs up from 2 old guys!!
Posted via Mobile Device

williamsboys 10-22-2011 07:39 PM

me and my girl friend took off the front brake and suspension assembly and repainted the a arms and installed new ball joints,tierods,shocks,springs and spindles. also cleaned up a little down there. tomorrow we will put on the rest of the brake assembly. [IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/...y/truck004.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/...y/truck013.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/...y/truck015.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/...truck003-1.jpg[/IMG]

pdxhall 10-22-2011 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I removed the trans crossmember and cleaned up the frame rails where the cab sits to get ready for paint. I haven't decided which trans I'll end up with (manual 4 or 5 speed, or a 6 speed if I win the lottery:lol:) but I figured whatever it is I might as well take it out and make it easier to clean things up. I am also working on the restoration of my 65 biscayne steering wheel. I dremeled open the cracks and filled with PC-7 yesterday. Today I am sanding it down. I already did one small crack to see how things worked and I am very pleased. I'll post some pics when I'm done sanding it down.

towersddg9 10-23-2011 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cab on

neslie 10-23-2011 03:52 PM

I finally got to drive it after disc swap and lowering it. Kids even got a ride also!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

thebatii 10-23-2011 04:26 PM

dang that looks great...
anymore leaves on that money tree? looks like you've used quite a few lol

suzq044 10-23-2011 06:37 PM

We replaced our adustable air shocks with standard gas-shock, and OMG is the handling ever better. It's overheating now tho, and we need a radiator for it. boiling water in the reserve is never a good thing.. O.O

Oil leak got worse, so we're gonna have to replace the timing chain cover seal; which means removing the air & fuel pumps we just put in .. again. We put in a new alternator too.