The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MARTINSR 01-14-2020 09:48 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8659520)
The truck's looking great. Glad no parts blew off on the highway during the move. Looking forward to you resuming your regular reports.

I came VERY close to a serious issue though! I had it on the trailer behind my Uhaul van. At about half way we stopped for a bite to eat and I went around it on the trailer checking tie downs and stuff. I noticed that one of the front wheels was turned quite a bit! I looked under to find that I hadn't tightened up the ball joints and one nut was about to fall off! YEOW, that was something else! This was about half way, with the next few hundred miles through VERY desolate area with a hour between gas stations. It would NOT have been good that's for sure! We didn't get here till about midnight, out there at that time, that would NOT have been good!

To add to that my son was following me in his Miata. A few days after we got here he was out driving the car and the motor overheated apparently the head gasket blew! If this would have happened out there, holy crap!

Then to top it off, I had left my '65 Gran Sport at my old house in California to go back and get later. I decided to sell it, for a couple reasons, one, I had a full garage here and second, I it wasn't a "snow car" and third that drive, that drive, I was freaked about taking the Gran Sport with 15 year old tires (one of the tires had blown on the trailer bringing my motor to my brother just weeks before so that was in my head) so I went back to my house in California and sold the car out of the garage driving back here without it.

Well the guy who bought it drove it home 150 miles or so and around town a bit and WHAM, the friggin thing had a knock! To make a long story short the heads had to be pulled off to fix it! I would have been out on the highway in the Sierras when that happened if I had drove it here! HOLY CRAP did I dodge a few bullets!

Brian

nvrdone 01-14-2020 10:00 AM

some times its better to be lucky than good. glad you made the trip safely. just by chance were you on hwy 95 north of Winnemucca when all this happened? ive driven that route a few times and its really along way between towns.

MARTINSR 01-14-2020 09:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8659596)
some times its better to be lucky than good. glad you made the trip safely. just by chance were you on hwy 95 north of Winnemucca when all this happened? ive driven that route a few times and its really along way between towns.

Yes, I was in Winnemucca when I found the tie rod ends loose. And I have to tell you, hwy 80 is pretty open (the first photo is on 80), 95 to Boise (about four hours!), holy crap (the second photo)! The real bad part is you loose cell connection over and over for a half hour or so. The last photo was at one of the very few gas stations along the way. When my wife and our daughter drove there a few weeks before my son and I went my wife called to tell me that they had gotten separated and we lost connection by phone with our daughter! An hour or so went by before we got a hold of her. During that time her brother and my hearts were ripped out! We were DESTROYED for an hour! When we got to Idaho to my wife and her I didn't know if I wanted to hug her guts out or spank her butt black and blue! OMG that was a hard night in my life!

Brian

mick53 01-16-2020 12:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I started cleaning up the casting on my high flow water pump for the 292. Step one is just getting down to clean metal and remove casting marks then I'll start smoothin. Should I use high temp, self etching or 2k primer?

Marty68 01-16-2020 01:36 PM

"Should I use high temp, self etching or 2k primer?"
I would use epoxy for best adhesion. then if it will get painted single stage color

Marty68 01-16-2020 01:37 PM

"Should I use high temp, self etching or 2k primer?"
I would use epoxy for best adhesion. then if it will get painted single stage color

Clarance J 01-18-2020 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First post this year.

Its wet and nasty outside so not to much I can do on my truck until it warms up a little. I want welting on the rear fenders so this is the perfect job for indoors.

Earl

Dachshund 01-18-2020 11:06 PM

I worked on building a seat riser for my 47. I couldn't find a new riser, so I built one.

MiraclePieCo 01-19-2020 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarance J (Post 8661959)
First post this year.

Its wet and nasty outside so not to much I can do on my truck until it warms up a little. I want welting on the rear fenders so this is the perfect job for indoors.

Earl

I live near you. Ditto on the wet and nasty. Six inches of snow at my house, power out for two days.

Clarance J 01-19-2020 09:53 PM

Hey MPC. Yeah it does kinda take the incentive away. Lower elevation snow is pretty much gone but its only January. Used to enjoy winter weather but not any more. We just gotta wait for warmer weather.

Earl

evilokc 01-19-2020 10:08 PM

been driving the wheels off. ive finished with my poor broken firebird so im back to the deathrattle now. I have a couple of things to do and an electrical issue to fix but overall the rattle trucking on

DransportGarage 01-22-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarance J (Post 8661959)
First post this year.

Earl

Yup. It takes a full 10 feet of welting to do a rear fender. Ask me how I now own two 9 foot strips of welting. Nice job on the sewing. It's one of the four skills I haven't mastered, including:

Chrome plating (no equipment)
Front end alignment (no rack, but I can do basic stuff)
Machining (can do, but no machines)

I do everything else I need to do - not always perfectly - based on Ogre's motto: "Poverty is the Mother of Necessity"!

MiraclePieCo 01-22-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8663898)
Nice job on the sewing. It's one of the four skills I haven't mastered, including:
Chrome plating (no equipment)
Front end alignment (no rack, but I can do basic stuff)
I do everything else I need to do - not always perfectly - based on Ogre's motto: "Poverty is the Mother of Necessity"!

When I get carried away with the "do it yourself" mentality, my wife brings me back in line by asking, "Are you going to smelt your own steel too?" That's when I realize that taking a job to an expert is easier, quicker and often actually cheaper.

idbeast 01-23-2020 12:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally some progress on the beast, the interior is being worked on!!!!!:alky::ennyd:

idbeast 01-23-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8663898)
Yup. It takes a full 10 feet of welting to do a rear fender. Ask me how I now own two 9 foot strips of welting. Nice job on the sewing. It's one of the four skills I haven't mastered, including:

I have an extra lathe I'm willing to let go really cheap, if you're interested.

DransportGarage 01-23-2020 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8664527)
I have an extra lathe I'm willing to let go really cheap, if you're interested.

Thanks, idbeast, but I'd have to have a place to put it (and I'd have to get it to Ohio). Maybe you can make somebody out on the west coast happy? Thanks for thinking of me though.

idbeast 01-24-2020 12:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more interior pictures from today.

idbeast 01-24-2020 12:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I also had them change the color back of the seats from orange to black. I think it's looking good!

mick53 01-24-2020 02:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got my axle back from Pete and Jakes. I took me over 2 years and some legal action to get the spindles made. Not Pete and Jakes fault, they have been awesome. The problem was that the brake kit I wanted, 12/88" 6 piston nickle plated only fits a Heidts spindle pin profile. Many said it can't be done some said it would cost thousands. In the end my head engineer on my dry ice plants that I build did it for free. I still have to alter the caliper brackets but I'm getting close.

MiraclePieCo 01-24-2020 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8665169)
I got my axle back from Pete and Jakes. I took me over 2 years and some legal action to get the spindles made. Not Pete and Jakes fault, they have been awesome. The problem was that the brake kit I wanted, 12/88" 6 piston nickle plated only fits a Heidts spindle pin profile. Many said it can't be done some said it would cost thousands. In the end my head engineer on my dry ice plants that I build did it for free. I still have to alter the caliper brackets but I'm getting close.

That is some amazing looking parts.

DransportGarage 01-24-2020 04:07 AM

You guys are movin' forward in style!

idbeast 01-24-2020 06:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I just brought the beast home from the upholstery place to work on putting the wiring down the center console and hook up my power window switch and power door lock wiring.

oldman3 01-24-2020 09:05 PM

very nice...Jim

oldman3 01-24-2020 09:19 PM

OK fellows, I'm out asking for votes again. idbeast and myself are in this months running for Truck of the month. idbeast is #1 with his beautiful 56. I'm #3 with my roadster pickup. We are up against some nice rides. Let's get out and vote for the 47 to 59 forum. Thanks...Jim

joedoh 01-25-2020 02:13 AM

if everyone who read this voted for jim, or idbeast, they wouuld win by a 1000 vote margin,

idbeast 01-25-2020 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8665664)
OK fellows, I'm out asking for votes again. idbeast and myself are in this months running for Truck of the month. idbeast is #1 with his beautiful 56. I'm #3 with my roadster pickup. We are up against some nice rides. Let's get out and vote for the 47 to 59 forum. Thanks...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8665654)
very nice...Jim

Thanks Jim, I hope one of us get it!

Jim W

idbeast 01-25-2020 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8665801)
if everyone who read this voted for jim, or idbeast, they wouuld win by a 1000 vote margin,

Thanks joedoh!

oldman3 01-25-2020 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8665801)

Thanks Russ

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8665809)
Thanks Jim, I hope one of us get it!

Jim W

So do I. Best of luck...Jim

DransportGarage 01-25-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 8665889)
Thanks Russ

So do I. Best of luck...Jim

Two great, worthy trucks, but unfortunately you guys have split the vote!

MiraclePieCo 01-25-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8665966)
Two great, worthy trucks, but unfortunately you guys have split the vote!

This is perhaps the nicest group of TOM candidates I've seen since I've been on this forum. A couple of those Fleetsides are ridiculous! Agreed that splitting the vote is going to put our guys at a disadvantage.

Johns327 01-25-2020 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I went to the LA roadster show at Pomona. If you live in So. Cal. This has got to be something you should do. Last year there wasn’t that many AD or TF trucks there, but this year they had quite a few. I realize that most of these never see real driving, but wow there were some beauties. Oh yeah, there were other nice cars there as well, but if it’s not a truck, why own it.

Here are a couple of them.

evilokc 01-25-2020 11:39 PM

I started the metal work to install the nos inner fenders on ifs. its going well. im glad to be putting everything back together again

62 Barnfind 01-26-2020 10:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welded up the front seams.

mick53 01-26-2020 11:26 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm 2 1/2 years into my project and seldom do I get to put something together for the last time. Mostly I mock up. I kept everything super clean. I put a small amount of blue Loctite on the studs but it didn't call for it. The Loctite people at PRI told my that blue Loctite also works as an anti-seize. The lugs were torqued at 77 ft lbs. The hat bolts called for red Loctite and 155 in lbs. I like to put a piece of tape on the part and mark it when I have to torque bolts in a cross pattern so I don't lose track on my sequence. I still have to put safety wire on the hat bolts. I checked all mating surfaces and put a thin coat of assembly lube on the bearings but didn't pack them because they will still have to come off many times. Now I have to figure out how to make it steer and how to mount the calipers. Easy right?

vintovka 01-26-2020 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to garage. Started truck up, backed out, drove to town and watched the ocean waves the whole way and a few boats too, got honks and thumbs up on 101. More complements at the Post Office and grocery store. More honks, thumbs up and headlight flashes on way home. Pulled into garage. closed door. Mission accomplished.

MiraclePieCo 01-26-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8666560)
Went to garage. Started truck up, backed out, drove to town and watched the ocean waves the whole way and a few boats too, got honks and thumbs up on 101. More complements at the Post Office and grocery store. More honks, thumbs up and headlight flashes on way home. Pulled into garage. closed door. Mission accomplished.

Let me know when the rhododendrons start blooming. We'll come over your way, probably Shore Acres.

vintovka 01-26-2020 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8666765)
Let me know when the rhododendrons start blooming. We'll come over your way, probably Shore Acres.

Shore acres is flat amazing. About 70 miles north of us near Coos Bay. Was last there in December for the Xmas light garden display, Went early to see the massive waves crash into the rocks. If coming to Ophir give us a weeks heads up to get beer ready. We are close to Honey Bear Campground

Some folks get shore acres confused with shore pines. The latter is a nursing home.

evilokc 01-26-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintovka (Post 8666560)

of course you got honks and thumbs up. that thing is awesome.

evilokc 01-26-2020 11:39 PM

finished the cutting to fit the fender. looks good. going to dress the metal a little more and start mounting it for good.

mick53 01-27-2020 12:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I put stainless pipe plugs in the oil pump supply passage and the bypass passage. I doesn't look like much but took 6 hours. It would have been easier to plug the oil pump passage in the crankcase but I didn't want a chance it could come out and land inside the crankcase. I had already plugged the dipstick hole. Now I need and AN fitting in the center and plug the distributor hole. Then I worked on installing the winch in the race car trailer for a change of pace.