The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Alan's Classic 04-03-2012 12:18 PM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5291708)
I don't see what your talking about in the second picture. What's died back? Your popping can be an exhaust leak when cold, combined with a lean carb. Isn't a 750 carb too big for a 400ci though? Is it popping on decel, or acceleration? Other possibilities could be a sticking exhaust valve, or ignition problem. Not sayin that I know it all, but just giving you some ideas. ;)

Died back= lost shine with a slight peel look.

Most recommend a 750 cfm, but want to do the carb calculator on holley's web site. I'm sure I've already did this 12 years ago. I will double check.

Thanks for the other inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 5291855)
Quick paint question: When you say, "sanded and cleared" do you mean you sanded the base coat before spraying clear to flatten it or you were out of the recoat window for your base since you cleared it the next day, so you had to sand for the clear to stick?

No base involved. Sprayed single stage sunday and came back the next day sanded and cleared. I'm thinking the single stage was too green, but I'm not a professional painter. ;)

4dranch 04-03-2012 07:13 PM

I'm not a professional painter.

Whatever,,,,,

Alan nice job. My only question to you on your whole build is why did you take your hood to that other fellow in the first place? not trying to be a smart butt. just wondering. ;)

awbrown 04-03-2012 10:08 PM

Alan , a vacuum gage mounted where you can see it would help diagnose the popping , maybe a few wires need to be seperated or maybe it is loosing electrical power for a split second ...anyways the hood looks like it was done by a professional , now next time just do it yourself , you have proved it many times over ... you are the man!!!

Alan's Classic 04-03-2012 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 5292507)
I'm not a professional painter.

Whatever,,,,,

Alan nice job. My only question to you on your whole build is why did you take your hood to that other fellow in the first place? not trying to be a smart butt. just wondering. ;)

At the time I wasn't confident of my metal shrinking abilities. Especially when both sides are visible. I did learn some things from the old guy. He taught me a few things about shrinking metal and it paid off in my abilities to do the job my self. Yes I feel he created more work for me, but I not only learned some tips from him I also realized I don't need help in that area anymore. Don't get me wrong I can always learn something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awbrown (Post 5292896)
Alan , a vacuum gage mounted where you can see it would help diagnose the popping , maybe a few wires need to be seperated or maybe it is loosing electrical power for a split second ...anyways the hood looks like it was done by a professional , now next time just do it yourself , you have proved it many times over ... you are the man!!!

Thanks for the comments and input. I'll keep the vac guage handy. I was thinking the dizzy is going crazy, along with a few other things.

I'm not the man, ;) Just another squirrel trying to find a nut. :lol:

I noticed yesterday during my short drive that the speedo reads 60 and feels like 40-50. I'll get my dashboard app on my iphone and see what it really is. I'll have to do some research to see what gear I need.

I sanded and buffed the hood tonight. It buffed out pretty nice.

likaroc13 04-03-2012 11:49 PM

looks great, Alan....can't wait to see it installed!

Alan's Classic 04-04-2012 12:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5293139)
looks great, Alan....can't wait to see it installed!

Thanks Phillip!!

With the help of rbar he pointed me in the direction of these pics.

Alan's Classic 04-04-2012 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Drove it to work today for a 16 mile trip. It did pretty good. The temp gauge was between 3/4 and 7/8 of running hot. I got to work and the used a lazer temp gun and the hottest spot I found was 220 most spots were around 200. The upper rad hose was 190 i think. I'm thinking of cutting some reliefs in the fan shroud so when it's moving down the road more air is able to move thru the rad. I've heard that when an electric fan is on going down the road it actualy inhibits cooling.

It was blowing a little antifreeze out, but not much. It never boiled over.

I got the hood on and tried a little too lined it up. The hinges were really stiff from sand blasting, but with some PB Blaster they freed up a bunch. It's still sticking up in the back and trying to get it down. I don't have a latch in it right now. The latch might help. I'm wondering if the cowl seal is keeping it up. It's spongy in the back. If I push the hood down in the back and let go it comes back up.

I used my GPS and it is reading 10 MPH faster.

shortbed70 04-04-2012 11:00 PM

Looks and sounds good Alan...
Posted via Mobile Device

66ChevyMax 04-04-2012 11:12 PM

Coming together nice. Love the sound
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 04-05-2012 09:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5294918)
Looks and sounds good Alan...
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5294948)
Coming together nice. Love the sound
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys!!

I spent 2 hours measuring 2 times and drilling once in the right door and fender. Then touched upthe holes and installed the fender trim. Can't install the door trim until I paint the silver.

Installed the hood latch and got it opening and closing. The back of the hood is still up some. I taped down the cowl seal and it helped some.

jonzcustomshop 04-05-2012 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
alan, are you going to have to pull the bed off to paint the silver? gm painted the stripe pretty far in on the back of the cab..

jonzcustomshop 04-05-2012 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hood looks good, are you going to paint the inside of the vent and the vertical bar satin black like the factory did? IMO that is the best look on a gmc hood..

theastronaut 04-05-2012 09:55 PM

Looks killer Alan!

Alan's Classic 04-05-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 5296638)
alan, are you going to have to pull the bed off to paint the silver? gm painted the stripe pretty far in on the back of the cab..

I'll wrap it as far as I can without removing the bed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 5296657)
hood looks good, are you going to paint the inside of the vent and the vertical bar satin black like the factory did? IMO that is the best look on a gmc hood..

I have never thought of that, but might be an option later on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5296660)
Looks killer Alan!

Thanks man! :metal:

SFTorange 04-06-2012 12:36 PM

Congratulations Alan,

The truck looks amazing!

Sorry if you've already addressed this somewhere in your build thread, but I've found out that you need either a nos or properly calibrated temperature sending unit that matches your older gauges to get them to read correctly. I incorrectly thought that my truck was overheating last summer with the a/c on, but it turns out that the sending unit from Napa doesn't have the correct calibration for older vehicles. As soon as the vehicle gets to operating temperature, the gauge would spike to hot. I'm not sure how this all works with your Impala gauges, but I figured I'd let you know what i learned. I purchased a new sending unit from Lectric Limited and it seems to work great now.

McMurphy 04-06-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 5297631)
Congratulations Alan,

The truck looks amazing!

Sorry if you've already addressed this somewhere in your build thread, but I've found out that you need either a nos or properly calibrated temperature sending unit that matches your older gauges to get them to read correctly. I incorrectly thought that my truck was overheating last summer with the a/c on, but it turns out that the sending unit from Napa doesn't have the correct calibration for older vehicles. As soon as the vehicle gets to operating temperature, the gauge would spike to hot. I'm not sure how this all works with your Impala gauges, but I figured I'd let you know what i learned. I purchased a new sending unit from Lectric Limited and it seems to work great now.

If I am not mistaken, the old guages are 9v and all new systems on 12v?
Getting a voltage regulator to accomodate this is more than I can wrap my head around, which is why I am just going to to with all new guages and set the truck up for 12v all around.

gimmy 64 04-06-2012 07:35 PM

also on a new motor it is going to run hot because everything is tight. my truck ran about 200 for a good while untill things got broke in. now stays about 190

scotts62 04-06-2012 07:49 PM

Dude that thing is sweet, you did a very good job on it! :metal:

Alan's Classic 04-06-2012 09:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 5297631)
Congratulations Alan,

The truck looks amazing!

I bought a temp sensor for a 59 Impala. Maybe it was packaged wrong. Thanks for the link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5297825)
If I am not mistaken, the old guages are 9v and all new systems on 12v?
Getting a voltage regulator to accomodate this is more than I can wrap my head around, which is why I am just going to to with all new guages and set the truck up for 12v all around.

I might upgrade my guages when i run out of other things to do. I've never heard of the gauges running on 9V. I'm not doubting you just never heard of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmy 64 (Post 5298210)
also on a new motor it is going to run hot because everything is tight. my truck ran about 200 for a good while untill things got broke in. now stays about 190

I agree with that. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 5298231)
Dude that thing is sweet, you did a very good job on it! :metal:

Thanks Scott, I appreciate that.

Today I was able to drill the other side and it only took an hour since I had the lay out figured out. So now I'm ready to paint the silver.

Had a little issue with the finish on the mouldings. Discussion link

i snapped the turn signals in, but not wired. Took it outside for a few more shots.

daverod 04-06-2012 10:46 PM

The trim is really going to tie everything together. Great job.:metal:

Strodder 04-07-2012 10:49 AM

Sweeeeet. :metal::metal::metal:

C10LIFE 04-07-2012 11:53 AM

Wow, that really looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Palf70Step 04-07-2012 01:47 PM

:agree:

flips72 04-07-2012 07:57 PM

man am i ever jealous, that is nice, when you get the silver and the trim on it i would take a vacation, maybe the rod run in pigeon forge this weekend and drive it with a great big grin on my face. oh yeah if you cant get anyone to go with you stop by and get me i am on the way:lol:

joesscamaro 04-09-2012 12:13 PM

Your truck looks awesome! The trim is definitely going to tie it all together and look great!

Alan's Classic 04-09-2012 09:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5298504)
The trim is really going to tie everything together. Great job.:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5299104)
Sweeeeet. :metal::metal::metal:

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by C10LIFE (Post 5299209)
Wow, that really looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 5299350)

Thanks guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5299808)
man am i ever jealous, that is nice, when you get the silver and the trim on it i would take a vacation, maybe the rod run in pigeon forge this weekend and drive it with a great big grin on my face. oh yeah if you cant get anyone to go with you stop by and get me i am on the way:lol:

Thanks, but there's no need of being jealous, you have a truck just as nice. ;) I wish I could make it to Pigeon Forge, but not this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesscamaro (Post 5302804)
Your truck looks awesome! The trim is definitely going to tie it all together and look great!

Thanks, I think your right.

Got the silver done today. Mar-K also called me and said they hand picked some mouldings and sent them out today.

likaroc13 04-09-2012 10:12 PM

looks awesome, Alan...i knew that would break up the orange nicely...now when you get those side trim pieces installed, you'll be set!

allaboutchevelles 04-09-2012 10:18 PM

Alan, Your truck looks GREAT!! I love the stance of it. I know you probably covered it in your thread somewhere already but what did you do to the suspension to get that stance? I put 4 inch drop springs in the back of mine and ordered 3 inch drop springs for the front.

66ChevyMax 04-09-2012 10:34 PM

Totally cool & sweet ride
Posted via Mobile Device

jpbjpbjpbjpb 04-10-2012 01:49 AM

I just bought a 60 swb stepside and got on this site for some ideas. I just spent the past 4 nites reading every post on your thread. You made an absolutely breathtaking truck. I can't wait to get cutting and building my truck. Thanks for the inspiration.

Vernski 04-10-2012 02:19 AM

Allan things are back to normal with regards to my subs, thank you if you were the person responsible if it went higher up thank them as well. I'm a happy camper once again and that trim is the icing on the cake on one beautiful truck...Vernski:metal:

ctandc 04-10-2012 03:37 PM

Great build thread. I know how it is to get side tracked with life, the wife, the kids, the wife, the house, the wife...well you know what I mean.

The '65 I'm building is for my son, and she was "All for it".

the other night I had to remind her of that when she started griping about the black stains on the white switches (that I just installed all over the house...some people are so ungrateful :devil:)..

So basically I'm 'blaming' this whole build on her.

Plus the kid is 15. So I figure by the time he heads off to college, he'll need something "more economical" to drive. So the '65 will probably get a LSx drivetrain.

Yee haw.

flips72 04-10-2012 03:44 PM

silver looks great alan, cant wait to seethe trim on it.

c.brown 04-10-2012 04:39 PM

looks great like the silver with the orange you got me thinking

198plus 04-10-2012 05:04 PM

Looks awesome Alan.......Again you are killing me :fry:

XtechX 04-10-2012 06:35 PM

Thanks Alan, for posting the trim and paint process pics they should help me along when I do that part. I have to drill the cab/door and fender holes on mine as well as painting the stripe. Did you make any hole templates by any chance????...lol

Alan's Classic 04-11-2012 09:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5303914)
looks awesome, Alan...i knew that would break up the orange nicely...now when you get those side trim pieces installed, you'll be set!

Thanks, and I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles (Post 5303931)
Alan, Your truck looks GREAT!! I love the stance of it. I know you probably covered it in your thread somewhere already but what did you do to the suspension to get that stance? I put 4 inch drop springs in the back of mine and ordered 3 inch drop springs for the front.

Thanks and I have 2.5 spindle drop in the front and 4" spring in the rear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax (Post 5303972)
Totally cool & sweet ride
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks man, I've still drooling over yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpbjpbjpbjpb (Post 5304415)
I just bought a 60 swb stepside and got on this site for some ideas. I just spent the past 4 nites reading every post on your thread. You made an absolutely breathtaking truck. I can't wait to get cutting and building my truck. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story or novel would be a better word. ;) Maybe I will see your build if you have one going or catch it in the future. I haven't spent much time on the forum lately. I've got less than 2 weeks before our annual get together and cruise in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 5304441)
Allan things are back to normal with regards to my subs, thank you if you were the person responsible if it went higher up thank them as well. I'm a happy camper once again and that trim is the icing on the cake on one beautiful truck...Vernski:metal:

Some times these things just fix them selves. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctandc (Post 5305388)
Great build thread. I know how it is to get side tracked with life, the wife, the kids, the wife, the house, the wife...well you know what I mean.

The '65 I'm building is for my son, and she was "All for it".

the other night I had to remind her of that when she started griping about the black stains on the white switches (that I just installed all over the house...some people are so ungrateful :devil:)..

So basically I'm 'blaming' this whole build on her.

Plus the kid is 15. So I figure by the time he heads off to college, he'll need something "more economical" to drive. So the '65 will probably get a LSx drivetrain.

Yee haw.

Been there with dirty light switches. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5305403)
silver looks great alan, cant wait to seethe trim on it.

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by c.brown (Post 5305503)
looks great like the silver with the orange you got me thinking

Thinking will get you in trouble. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 5305536)
Looks awesome Alan.......Again you are killing me :fry:

Remember it's 4 against one here. :haha:

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 5305669)
Thanks Alan, for posting the trim and paint process pics they should help me along when I do that part. I have to drill the cab/door and fender holes on mine as well as painting the stripe. Did you make any hole templates by any chance????...lol

I did make a template of the door and made one today of the cab corner for future use. I couldn't mail the door one cause it is a big piece of contact paper.

Got the over flow bottle intalled. Thanks Mark for the suggestion.

Removed the cowl seal and no change in hood. The left hinge seams to be worn out. I'm guessing. The right side of the hood will come all the way down
Also installed the thin trim and the replacement wide trim came today. Thanks Mar-K

Also got a Fiamm horn installed and working.

scotts62 04-11-2012 10:11 PM

Dude i love looking at pics of this thing :thumbs:

Alan's Classic 04-11-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 5308202)
Dude i love looking at pics of this thing :thumbs:

Thanks Scott!! :metal: Now if I can get it to run as good as it looks. I tried to break the tires loose and it wouldn't do it. I wasn't really agressive with it since all my trim is laying in the bed. ;)

Strodder 04-12-2012 10:15 AM

I have nothing else to say that I didn't say before. I'll say it once more.

:metal:AWESOME!!!! :metal: