The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

awbrown 11-12-2011 09:11 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

As far as what I did today , well I found my bench again ..I put a lot of shelves up and a cabinet that I got out of my friends garage when he moved , sure makes a difference as far as keeping things neat.. I also am working on emtying my 63's bed out because that is where the rest of the stuff from my friends garage ended up..........

samuellg1977 11-12-2011 09:25 PM

I have no idea why that dimmer is there. It isn't hooked up to anything. I guess just lazy on my part. I have a switch in the floor that works as intended, so i never thought about removing the other one till today. (Still haven't done it) Faster - HAHA. Nah, I just liked that it cleaned up the floor a bit. It will definitely be a conversation piece!!

E911manager 11-12-2011 10:11 PM

Set the Cab on the Caprice frame to mock up the mounts. Tacked in the rear cab mounts and started making the front cab mounts. Channeled the front cab supports..:chevy::four::four::four:

towersddg9 11-12-2011 10:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Put my CPP column in, used a flaming river joint, lokar linkage, two thumbs up, easy install, still working on the wiring getting close

SchnorrCS 11-13-2011 12:08 AM

I bought it!!
Posted via Mobile Device

66ChevyMax 11-13-2011 01:21 AM

Patched the frame, broke down the rearend.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...11Nov11010.jpghttp://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...12Oct11003.jpghttp://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...Nov11-2042.jpg

66ChevyMax 11-13-2011 01:23 AM

That linkage is sharp looking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by towersddg9 (Post 5006195)
Put my CPP column in, used a flaming river joint, lokar linkage, two thumbs up, easy install, still working on the wiring getting close

66farmer 11-13-2011 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent all day yesterday on the gauge surround. Bead blasted first than started sanding 500 1200 1500 grit than buffed and buffed than the gauge plate it had scratches 1200 and 1500 than buff buff and a little more buffing . I'm going to have the painter clear coat it

thebatii 11-13-2011 09:30 PM

very nice.....it looks better than new!

firefighter736 11-13-2011 10:39 PM

Got sooo much done this weekend.

Fan Relay Installed
Headlight harness + Relay upgrade
Taillights installed
Radio Installed
SP wires installed
Split Brake Lines + new Impala Master Cylinder
Seatbelts installed
Front coils cut for a nice little rake
Wheels cleaned, prepped, and painted black

and most importantly....

Fired her up for the first time in a year!!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...91378031_n.jpg

A lil video...

65Gregg 11-13-2011 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I drove mine to my daughters wedding, she wanted some pictures that included the truck.

X24 11-14-2011 02:44 AM

Awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device

blackedoutharley 11-14-2011 03:36 AM

Pulled the engine and discovered that the block is toast!

markeb01 11-14-2011 12:27 PM

Certainly sounds like a marathon weekend. That’s a lot to get done all at once. It’s a great feeling turning a pile of parts into something that actually runs. Good for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefighter736 (Post 5007966)
Got sooo much done this weekend.

Fan Relay Installed
Headlight harness + Relay upgrade
Taillights installed
Radio Installed
SP wires installed
Split Brake Lines + new Impala Master Cylinder
Seatbelts installed
Front coils cut for a nice little rake
Wheels cleaned, prepped, and painted black

and most importantly....

Fired her up for the first time in a year!!

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...91378031_n.jpg

A lil video...
Firing 'er up for the first time since reassembly... - YouTube

What a cool shot. Nice that your daughter wanted the truck in some photos. We have similar photos of our old 46 in front of the church at our daughters wedding. The car is long gone but the photos keep the memories fresh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Gregg (Post 5007998)
I drove mine to my daughters wedding, she wanted some pictures that included the truck.

Dan in Pasadena 11-14-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Beautiful young lady you've raised there. Congratulations!

samuellg1977 11-14-2011 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought a heart transplant today. Don't laught at me too hard, Fellas... I paid the guy $300 and drove it home. Should make for a nice little donor car for old pickemup, huh?

Sam

firefighter736 11-14-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuellg1977 (Post 5008923)
I bought a heart transplant today. Don't laught at me too hard, Fellas... I paid the guy $300 and drove it home. Should make for a nice little donor car for old pickemup, huh?

Sam

I'd say! How'd you steal that thing for $300?!

samuellg1977 11-14-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefighter736 (Post 5008941)
I'd say! How'd you steal that thing for $300?!

The guy didn't have the title, (said he lost it) - so I called the DMV to verify the guy actually DID own the car - and it WAS registered in his name at the DMV. Then, I drove downtown and got a notarized bill of sale and non-moveable insurance until I can pillage and scrap the carcass.

I have three of these cars now and I might need to thin the herd!! I buy em cheap, part out what I can, and scrap the shells. So far I have collected three TH400 trannies, a (74 Corvette Muncie 4-speed), a TBI 350/T-5 (80-ish Silverado) combo, a TPI 350/700R4 combo (88 Camaro), and a TPI 305/700R4 combo (87 Camaro) (all running and complete with wiring harness) sold and sitting in a buddy's shop floor awaiting pickup. I want to build and old 50's Chevy P/U someday, so I collect junk and call it good sh*t when my wife complains about the mess!! LOL. And the money from flippin the parts ain't too bad either!!

Sam

doobiebro 11-14-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towersddg9 (Post 5006195)

Man I feel you on the wiring. I spend about a month - on and off finishing the wiring harness kit (american auto wire) on my 60. Where did you buy yours? I am doing the exact thing on my truck like yours - dynamat inside the cab, dolphin guages and wiring completed. I am looking around for a steering column for mine but they are really high for my wallet. I already setting up the P/S convertion on mine but can't finish until I install a steering column. Got any ideas where I can get a cheap steering column (floor shift) for mine?
I have pics of mine on this same thread (page 167):(

64shortbox 11-14-2011 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I SCORED today. I picked up a 1 1/4" Sway bar for my 64 pickup. It came from a 1 ton Dually - a 77 I think. It cost me a meager $20.30. What can I say I'm CHEAP! Now tonight I'll bead blast it and paint it. Working graveyard does have its advantages. I'm the only mechanic on graveyard so as long as there's no major break downs I have plenty of time ot work on my own stuff. As long as I don't get caught I'm good.

Hoser's Girl 11-14-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Awesome pic!!! congrats!

towersddg9 11-14-2011 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobiebro (Post 5009203)
Man I feel you on the wiring. I spend about a month - on and off finishing the wiring harness kit (american auto wire) on my 60. Where did you buy yours? I am doing the exact thing on my truck like yours - dynamat inside the cab, dolphin guages and wiring completed. I am looking around for a steering column for mine but they are really high for my wallet. I already setting up the P/S convertion on mine but can't finish until I install a steering column. Got any ideas where I can get a cheap steering column (floor shift) for mine?
I have pics of mine on this same thread (page 167):(

Went with American autowire as well good kit, I added AC, dual fan, ignition box, put coil inside under dash, the ac has electronic heater control valve and Ive tried to run all the wires down under the frame. I bought the column about 10 months ago, on sale at CPP here is a pic of the box, around $300, they also had the install kit, rag joint with the female end that the DD shaft slides in, I only cut about an inch off the shaft, great thing about the column is it also has a female end the DD shaft will slide into, your choice, I went with the ujoint, nice build you have going, your truck looks great

MisterC 11-15-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortbox (Post 5009220)
I SCORED today. I picked up a 1 1/4" Sway bar for my 64 pickup. It came from a 1 ton Dually - a 77 I think. It cost me a meager $20.30. What can I say I'm CHEAP! Now tonight I'll bead blast it and paint it. Working graveyard does have its advantages. I'm the only mechanic on graveyard so as long as there's no major break downs I have plenty of time ot work on my own stuff. As long as I don't get caught I'm good.

**shakes fist at you**

I had scouted that one out last week and dropped by there today at lunch to grab it and a steering link for my stepson. Imagine my surprise when it was gone.

Grats! There will be more, before I'm actually ready to install it.

64shortbox 11-15-2011 03:29 AM

MisterC,
I got my sway bar at the West Side Auto in Fresno on Belmont. I pulled the one I have from a red truck. There was a white 1 ton dually there on the end that still had a 1 1/4" sway bar on it but it was greasy at the steering box end so I got the clean one off the red truck. But as of about 10:40 am on Monday it was still there. I wasn't sure if you knew there was a West Side Auto in Fresno too.
Terry

Revoh 11-15-2011 02:58 PM

I did something truck-related to my '96 Impala SS. I normally run chrome-plated stock Impala wheels on it, but thought I'd do something else for the winter.

My '63 Chevy truck had '63 Chevy car hubcaps on it when I bought it, but I replaced them with the correct truck hubcaps. So I found some ol' deep steel Chevy truck wheels and used those with the hubcaps to go for sort of a '63 Biscayne look on my Impala.

Something different, anyway.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-j...0/DSC00120.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-A...0/DSC00119.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s...0/DSC00121.JPG

losthope 11-15-2011 09:06 PM

Installed blue dots in my lens did a step by step how i did it in my build thread:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...jennz/0172.jpg

Oldgearz 11-15-2011 09:42 PM

Bolted trans body cover back on, had to cut it up for the muncie hurst shifter to fit, cleaned out metal flooring, started removing weatherstripping on inside of cab, door sills removed, revealing rust underneath. (Prepping cab for paint w/new carpeting and sills.)

Touchdown67 11-17-2011 02:36 AM

Drove my truck today for the first time in 19 months. Frame off rebuild, new paint, new SB 400 What a feeling.

fryer1979 11-17-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touchdown67 (Post 5014440)
Drove my truck today for the first time in 19 months. Frame off rebuild, new paint, new SB 400 What a feeling.

Congrats!

markeb01 11-17-2011 10:54 AM

Glad you found a new home for them. The combination makes for a nice presentation. Those and the 1960 passenger car caps are my two all time favorites.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revoh (Post 5011167)
I did something truck-related to my '96 Impala SS. I normally run chrome-plated stock Impala wheels on it, but thought I'd do something else for the winter.

My '63 Chevy truck had '63 Chevy car hubcaps on it when I bought it, but I replaced them with the correct truck hubcaps. So I found some ol' deep steel Chevy truck wheels and used those with the hubcaps to go for sort of a '63 Biscayne look on my Impala.

Something different, anyway.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s...0/DSC00121.JPG

Revoh 11-17-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5014773)
Glad you found a new home for them. The combination makes for a nice presentation. Those and the 1960 passenger car caps are my two all time favorites.

Thanks! :)

PORKY 11-17-2011 09:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We finally got the hood and the bed primed. We applied the primer heavy to get the wet look. It really makes the imperfections easy to find. It’s close but we have some more blocking to do and at least one more primer application, and blocking before paint.

samuellg1977 11-17-2011 09:28 PM

That looks good, PORKY!! Man, I wish i had a fleetside bed!!

Sam

E911manager 11-17-2011 09:35 PM

Finally got clearance from the eye doctor to go back to welding and grinding. Got 2 pieces of steel in my eye on Sunday. Doc drilled it out on Tuesday. That was a hundred bucks I could have spent on Eli... Anyway, more cab mount creations, cutting, welding and grinding...

Bardahl 11-17-2011 09:41 PM

Belts,wiper blades, and a thermostat !, and picked up some missing trip parts from a buddy (had to spring for Pizza for 7 pieces of 68 Long bd trim !) was well worth the 19.10, thanks Lawerence and Steve !!

tincan1966 11-18-2011 08:04 AM

well, unfortunately a broken harmonic balancer on my "69 C-30 has derailed progress on the 'Burb for a few days. Got engine out, figured good time to seal all the leaks and clean things up a bit. Putting engine back in on sat, got to have for work on Monday.

Rich 5150 69 11-18-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthope (Post 5011744)
Installed blue dots in my lens did a step by step how i did it in my build thread:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...jennz/0172.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...y/DSCF0178.jpg

Did mine about two years ago..have`nt been stopped yet....:lol:

MisterC 11-18-2011 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I needed to have my tires balanced, so while I was at it, I had the installers turn the tires around so that the raised white letters were out. The PO liked the blackwalls and I prefer the RWL. Some 0000 steel wool to the smoothies and the setup now looks good enough for me to move the "new wheels" item way down on my list of needs.:metal:

chevytrucknut61 11-19-2011 08:46 AM

Pulling my engine and tranny out to put back the cleaned up and resealed 350 and the rebuilt tranny.Nothing like chirping the tires when shifting into second. Will post pics later.

kenmel 11-19-2011 03:25 PM

changed the radiator cap and new thermostat to take care of the coolant leak coming out the overflow... Oh and turned it around...:bann::haha::bann::bann::dohh: