The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Sheepdip 10-21-2023 10:03 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9252443)
Made a video of my big block idling. Still needs some adjustment.

https://rumble.com/v3pj0m2-1968-factory-396-swb.html

Attachment 2310352

Sounds Healthy Tim...just like it's supposed to!

67C10Step 10-21-2023 10:25 AM

Started last night and will continue for a few days to come. Pulled the intake last night to fix a nagging and worsening oil leak on the front.
Decided to check the timing chain play before I pulled the distributor. Found that to be more than I like but not a total surprise. So, today I will drop the oil pan slightly to get the timing set out. New water pump and timing set should be here Monday.
Meantime I will clean up the heads and intake for re-install.
The little mouse motor (283) runs fine and I hope to get another year or so out of it while I save my penny’s for something else.

Nh4clo4 10-21-2023 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the soundproofing, carpet and seat in!

'68OrangeSunshine 10-21-2023 09:07 PM

Took the '68 C/10 Stepside [292 L6/SM465/3.73 REAR] into AZ ADEQ [emissions]
today.
It passed.
Readings:
HC ] Hydrocarbons/PPM.....093 OF 450 allowed
CO] Carbon Monoxide %......1.82 of 5.00 maximun

Steeveedee 10-21-2023 10:45 PM

Pretty much any vehicle engine in decent shape will pass the emissions test. I worked as a state-licensed SMOG tech for years. People used to come in all concerned that they wouldn't pass. If they didn't, it was generally timing or carb adjustments, and I'd make those adjustments as required for the $25 test fee. I generally didn't even tell them I did it, just handed them the cert. Didn't take that long, and I didn't feel like charging an extra $50 (or whatever it was) for the amount of time those adjustments took. Missing equipment was a bigger deal, but those I bucked up the food chain to the BAR as required. Very seldom did a vehicle fail, really.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-22-2023 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9252664)
Pretty much any vehicle engine in decent shape will pass the emissions test. I worked as a state-licensed SMOG tech for years. People used to come in all concerned that they wouldn't pass. If they didn't, it was generally timing or carb adjustments, and I'd make those adjustments as required for the $25 test fee. I generally didn't even tell them I did it, just handed them the cert. Didn't take that long, and I didn't feel like charging an extra $50 (or whatever it was) for the amount of time those adjustments took. Missing equipment was a bigger deal, but those I bucked up the food chain to the BAR as required. Very seldom did a vehicle fail, really.

Then you're an angel on the ground, Pal. I've never had an ADEQ guy work on my timing or carb. On a couple of occasions, they might've let me slide or turned a blind eye to help me pass. The Compliance Certificate used to have a checklist on the back of the form listing Ignition, Carb, Timing, PCV, Gas Cap, Etc., so you could check all the boxes if you did the tune up yourself. Now the back of the form just says NOTES:
For $12.25 you get a second retest free.
My Buddy/Mechanic, Dennis would open up the Edelbrock 1404, and we'd trade out the normal running jets and metering rods, for a special set in a ziplock bag marked ''Economy'' and I 'd run thru the retest. After passing, we'd reinstall the Normal set.
I would usually do as much of a tune up as needed -- Dist Cap, Plugs, Wires, Air Cleaner, whatever else...
V8s were the worst to get thru.
The '67 K/10 Suburban w/454 has been sitting for years. The '71 Jimmy's 350 was often a Bad Boy too, but since I got YOM plates and collector car insurance, it's exempt.
L6s generally are ''Nice Kids'' to the ADEQ guys, but my 292 is bored .030-over, has a 4-bbl Edelbrock [500 CFM] Offy intake, and Clifford headers.
Anyway, year before last, I left the Economy jets and metering rods in the carb, and didn't change them out.
Last year, I passed on the first try. Just like this year.
But while I was at the emission station, I noticed my water temp get really hot. It was up past 225*F -- didn't boil over due to a 50/50 coolant mix.
[Boil-over is an immediate 'Flunk'] but I had to gradually raise my RPMs after the probes were pulled but before I got my paperwork cert. Pulling out of the facility, I cut on the Heater Air fan and Defroster to bring the engine temps down. It was in the high 90s today in Tucson. As soon as the temp gauge came back to 195* I saved the Heater etc. Engine cooled down on the way home.
I asked Dennis about this, and he said I'm set too lean, and to back off the A/F mixture screws til I get a nominal 17.5''Hg on the Manifold Vacuum gauge.
:chevy:

Steeveedee 10-22-2023 09:19 AM

There's plenty of money to be made in the mechanic business without stealing it. When I worked as a mechanic, the BAR's newsletters claimed that half of all repairs in California were not necessary- not just emission controls. That's probably still true. I didn't tell the boss what I did, though. He'd have gotten all soggy and hard to light. But by the time all the equipment is hooked up for the test, 3 more minutes tops for needed adjustments didn't justify the extra charge, to me.

Jiggers72-GMC 10-22-2023 09:24 AM

The world needs more people like you Steven ^^^^

72c20customcamper 10-26-2023 04:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lots of crap on the 72 . First redid all the rubber lines they were real bad ended up buying them from Brake Hoses unlimited . Fit was perfect as apposed to the two other sets I bought and returned to other venders . New power vac and master only thing I had to modify the combo valve bracket to fit the original lines didn’t line up at all I had to straighten and then re-bend it I wasn’t going to change perfectly good originals . Brakes all done and bled next was the Flexplate the old one had a a few missing teeth . I took out the driveshaft and removed the crossmember bolts to the frame and replaced 4 bolts with 10 inchers and slide the trans back . Tomorrow I hope to have it buttoned up and drivable again .

LNP 10-26-2023 05:47 PM

72c20customcamper longer bolts is how I use to do it in the garage thru the years I wrenched for a livin. I used the long bolts to make installs easier as well.

Jiggers72-GMC 10-26-2023 06:46 PM

Right on Mark, glad to see you got lots done, the brake lines and all look great.

mr.mud1 10-26-2023 07:25 PM

looking good.i got the front flex hoses for my truck from Brake Hoses Unlimited in Michigan as well.as you say,fit perfect.i've been singing his praises everytime someone on here asks about brake hoses and all the aftermarket ones available at the reguular places are chinese and too short.

72c20customcamper 10-26-2023 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9253879)
looking good.i got the front flex hoses for my truck from Brake Hoses Unlimited in Michigan as well.as you say,fit perfect.i've been singing his praises everytime someone on here asks about brake hoses and all the aftermarket ones available at the reguular places are chinese and too short.

Great guy to work with too . The rear line in the kit was to long he made up another to the length I wanted and sent it out . Only request was that I send back the one that didn’t fit . The rear line on the truck was 14.75 inches long the “book” calls for 18 inch .

Rust_never_sleeps 10-26-2023 07:36 PM

Finally got the steering gear back together. Shiny new idler arm, Pitman arm, and some 90* Zerks on the inner tie rods(cuz that's a really crappy spot for straight Zerks).
I got close Tuesday, but was fighting nausea(vertigo?) and had to give up early.
Far more pleasant all around today

mr.mud1 10-26-2023 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9253881)
Great guy to work with too . The rear line in the kit was to long he made up another to the length I wanted and sent it out . Only request was that I send back the one that didn’t fit . The rear line on the truck was 14.75 inches long the “book” calls for 18 inch .

i ran into that with my truck,the coil spring trucks,it seems to me had the shorter hose and the leaf spring trucks got the long one or maybe i have it backwards?i do remember that differance with the length and the reason why.the hose from my Napa store for the rear was right,once we knew why the 2 different hoses but they were no help on the front hoses.

Danyo492 10-27-2023 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nh4clo4 (Post 9252613)
Got the soundproofing, carpet and seat in!

TMI seat?

72c20customcamper 10-27-2023 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9253902)
i ran into that with my truck,the coil spring trucks,it seems to me had the shorter hose and the leaf spring trucks got the long one or maybe i have it backwards?i do remember that differance with the length and the reason why.the hose from my Napa store for the rear was right,once we knew why the 2 different hoses but they were no help on the front hoses.

Mine is a leaf spring truck . There is a bracket off the passenger side frame rail that goes over the differential the hard line runs it. The truck also has the HD leafs so that may be why . The hose they sent would have fit my coil spring truck but I had just replaced it .

maverickmk 10-27-2023 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9253833)
Lots of crap on the 72 . First redid all the rubber lines they were real bad ended up buying them from Brake Hoses unlimited . Fit was perfect as apposed to the two other sets I bought and returned to other venders . New power vac and master only thing I had to modify the combo valve bracket to fit the original lines didn’t line up at all I had to straighten and then re-bend it I wasn’t going to change perfectly good originals . Brakes all done and bled next was the Flexplate the old one had a a few missing teeth . I took out the driveshaft and removed the crossmember bolts to the frame and replaced 4 bolts with 10 inchers and slide the trans back . Tomorrow I hope to have it buttoned up and drivable again .

Question on the brake line routing from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve - I see that you have the rear line (closer to the firewall) routed to the front of the valve. Is the line directly below it connected to the front brakes? I am under the impression that the front port on the master cylinder is for the front brakes and the rear port for rear brakes - ? I am putting my brakes together (swapped to disks on the front) and if yours is correct then I need to reroute some lines.

72c20customcamper 10-27-2023 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverickmk (Post 9254042)
Question on the brake line routing from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve - I see that you have the rear line (closer to the firewall) routed to the front of the valve. Is the line directly below it connected to the front brakes? I am under the impression that the front port on the master cylinder is for the front brakes and the rear port for rear brakes - ? I am putting my brakes together (swapped to disks on the front) and if yours is correct then I need to reroute some lines.

This is the complete set up from Franks Pickmup . My original master was routed the same way. The larger reservoir(rear) is for the disc so as they wear the fluid will go down so you need a larger reservoir and yes the front line from the valve bottom is for the front brake . Rears are self adjusting so no drop in fluid
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=581862

maverickmk 10-27-2023 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9254214)
This is the complete set up from Franks Pickmup . My original master was routed the same way. The larger reservoir(rear) is for the disc so as they wear the fluid will go down so you need a larger reservoir and yes the front line from the valve bottom is for the front brake . Rears are self adjusting so no drop in fluid
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=581862

Gotcha', thanks!

CAMAROBOY68SS 10-27-2023 08:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Started pulling the motor out of the truck today. Got the 4 speed out and got prepped to yank the motor tomorrow. Then onto detailing the engine bay again and getting the new 327 and 5 speed prepped.

pjmoreland 10-27-2023 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9254247)
Started pulling the motor out of the truck today. Got the 4 speed out and got prepped to yank the motor tomorrow. Then onto detailing the engine bay again and getting the new 327 and 5 speed prepped.

Alright!!

samkost 10-27-2023 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9254247)

I just spent the last several minutes staring ………………….at your truck. :lol:

“Staring”
Staring is a prolonged gaze or fixed look.
In staring, one object or person is the continual focus of visual interest, for an amount of time“

That’s one sharp object. :metal:

CAMAROBOY68SS 10-28-2023 10:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the 350 out today and cleaned a few things up and now moving onto swapping stuff over to the 327 and doing some measurements for the new TKX 5 speed.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-29-2023 12:21 AM

I love them Orange color engines

Jiggers72-GMC 10-29-2023 08:50 AM

Great work Cboy, that's the first time I see a ballast resister on these trucks ...........

tim_mc 10-29-2023 09:02 AM

Nice to see the progress on your '68 - beautiful truck. Small project for me yesterday. I swapped out my OEM-style starter to a Powermaster 9112 hoping to solve a heat soak issue. Wow - wish I would have gone with a high torque starter sooner. Keep the pics coming!

CAMAROBOY68SS 10-29-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 9254582)
Great work Cboy, that's the first time I see a ballast resister on these trucks ...........

Its there because I un converted the truck from HEI back to points. The previous owner put HEI in and cut the original resistance wire out of the harness. So the resistor is there to be the replacement. Ive been looking locally for a old harness that someone ripped out to just get that wire to swap back in and remove the ballast but no luck so far.

LNP 10-29-2023 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9254610)
Its there because I un converted the truck from HEI back to points. The previous owner put HEI in and cut the original resistance wire out of the harness. So the resistor is there to be the replacement. Ive been looking locally for a old harness that someone ripped out to just get that wire to swap back in and remove the ballast but no luck so far.

You can buy resistor wire and just put it back in the harness. Just look for automotive ignition resistor wire.

67C10Step 10-30-2023 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9254610)

I removed the resistor wire from my 67 all the way back and removed the connector from the bulkhead. One would only have to snap it back in and, knowing me, it is probably coiled up and stashed on one of my boxes of truck stuff. I'd be happy to dig it out if you want it.
I am finishing up an intake reseal, new radiator, new timing gear/chain set, and new alternator install. This photo was before I pulled the carb apart, gave it a run through the ultrasonic cleaner, and reinstalled. Now I have a fuel leak at the fuel pump that I guess monkeying around with the fuel line caused. This is the fun stuff right?
Still need to repaint the oil filler cap as now it stands out with everything else cleaned up.

Rust_never_sleeps 10-31-2023 06:18 PM

New rear shocks. OEM Spectrum, nothing fancy. For once, things went pretty much as expected ;-)
Spec is for 75#, but there is no way the existing ones were nearly that tight. :shrug:

CAMAROBOY68SS 11-04-2023 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9254934)
I removed the resistor wire from my 67 all the way back and removed the connector from the bulkhead. One would only have to snap it back in and, knowing me, it is probably coiled up and stashed on one of my boxes of truck stuff. I'd be happy to dig it out if you want it.
I am finishing up an intake reseal, new radiator, new timing gear/chain set, and new alternator install. This photo was before I pulled the carb apart, gave it a run through the ultrasonic cleaner, and reinstalled. Now I have a fuel leak at the fuel pump that I guess monkeying around with the fuel line caused. This is the fun stuff right?
Still need to repaint the oil filler cap as now it stands out with everything else cleaned up.

Yeah I would be interested in that wire if you still got it. Just shoot me a message if you still got it.

CAMAROBOY68SS 11-04-2023 10:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Making some more progress. Got the offset dowel pins in and the got the final runout ran and all set for the tremec. Then got the new clutch installed.
Also this past week got all the stuff being moved over from the 350 to the 327. Just a little more cleanup in the engine bay and this motor will be ready to drop back in to the truck.

TxGary 11-04-2023 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the TC boot ring retainer that I bought from board member A1971Blazer. Very nice piece.

'68OrangeSunshine 11-04-2023 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxGary (Post 9256320)
Installed the TC boot ring retainer that I bought from board member A1971Blazer. Very nice piece.

Nice. But does he do one with GMC instead of the Bowtie?
Asking for a friend with a Jimmy.

3757chevy 11-04-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxGary (Post 9256320)

Very nice .

TxGary 11-04-2023 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9256332)
Nice. But does he do one with GMC instead of the Bowtie?
Asking for a friend with a Jimmy.

Yes, he has them posted under blazer & suburban stuff.

'68OrangeSunshine 11-04-2023 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxGary (Post 9256354)
Yes, he has them posted under blazer & suburban stuff.

Cool. Thanks.
:gmc2:

CAMAROBOY68SS 11-05-2023 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the 327 back into the truck today. Now to start getting the tremec fitted and everything back onto the motor. Another week or two and it should be running again.

Extended Power 11-05-2023 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making headway on more wiring.
Electric fans, Lokar kick down, MSD-6AL2, Vintage Air, and MSD HVC II coil all wired up.
Sorry, no idea how to flip picture.