The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

likaroc13 08-26-2012 11:23 AM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

congrats! some nice trucks there...i dig the wheels/stance on the white '66

Solo2002 08-26-2012 01:44 PM

love the truck looks sweet:clap:

Palf70Step 08-26-2012 03:40 PM

Congratulations Alan

juanhonglo 08-26-2012 08:39 PM

This has been one of my inspirations for my truck. During the build I would check daily to see what new pics and info was available. If my truck is even quarter as nice I will be happy. I'm not surprised to see you get awards, the amount of time and care you put in makes me want to do my truck even more.
Congratulations Allan on the beautiful job for such a beautiful truck, just wish I could see it in person one day.:metal:

Alan's Classic 08-26-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 5558097)
congrats Alan, and thanks for sharing the pictures

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5558106)
Congrats!!!

Thanks guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5558129)
congrats! some nice trucks there...i dig the wheels/stance on the white '66

Thanks, and yes it did have a good stance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo2002 (Post 5558382)
love the truck looks sweet:clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 5558526)
Congratulations Alan

Thanks guys!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by juanhonglo (Post 5558940)
This has been one of my inspirations for my truck. During the build I would check daily to see what new pics and info was available. If my truck is even quarter as nice I will be happy. I'm not surprised to see you get awards, the amount of time and care you put in makes me want to do my truck even more.
Congratulations Allan on the beautiful job for such a beautiful truck, just wish I could see it in person one day.:metal:

I appreciate the kind words. This was my first full frame off. It can be daunting at times, but really glad that I hung in there. You can do it as well. Remember, no short cuts. They will haunt you.

BTW, my steering wheel should be in tomorrow.

Alan's Classic 08-27-2012 08:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Steering wheel test fitted. I just need to figure out how to streamline the gap to the column.

I big thanks to Shannon for finding this one $50 cheaper than ebay. Thanks neighbor. :metal:

sdailey 08-27-2012 09:10 PM

Very classy.

Now it's time to get to work on the trophy case. ;)

greg65 08-27-2012 09:52 PM

Very nice Alan. Looks perfect next to the dash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 08-31-2012 09:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 5561028)
Very classy.

Now it's time to get to work on the trophy case. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5561136)
Very nice Alan. Looks perfect next to the dash.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Guys!!

Tinkering with the radio setup. I've got a nice amp and sub and would like to use it. I was hoping it would fit behind the console, but it doesn't. It needs to move forward about an inch. Then I was going to put 6X9's behind the seat with some kick panel speakers in time. The old gas tank mounting tabs that I left in place will make a good place to mount speakers.

With the sub hehind the drivers seat it moves the seat forward more than I want. Maybe I can just put it behind the passenger seat.

Then I thought about a bazooka tube shoved in the cab corner. A friend of mine did that. It sounds ok but doesn't have the bump that I want.

I'm use to radios from the 80's, I'm a little behid the times with all the options. :lol:

Solo2002 08-31-2012 09:57 PM

if i remember this rite kicker makes a very thin sub and single boxes to match this mite help you out in the leg room department

Alan's Classic 09-01-2012 08:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo2002 (Post 5568433)
if i remember this rite kicker makes a very thin sub and single boxes to match this mite help you out in the leg room department

Thanks for the headsup. I did some searching and found their truck box that measures 20X14 3/4X 5 1/4X7 1/4. The one that I have is a little smaller than that. Maybe I missed it somewhere. ;)

Trying to get my horn working with the new wheel. The pin that comes thru the wheel should ground the wheel when I want the horn to sound. I feel like a dummy because I can't figure it out.

There is no way for the pin to ground the wheel when there is a teflon washer in the way. I thought about drilling a hole in the teflon washer too allow the pin access to touch the wheel.

The 4th pic shows an adapter that was in a bag by itself. I don't think I need this piece.

The last pic shows a horn repair kit and it looks like I'm missing the thin contact washer.

Please help the challenged. ;)

Alan's Classic 09-02-2012 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya'll are probably laughing too hard to reply. ;)

I'm over my senior moment. I took the metal spring washer out of my old wheel and installed it. I have sound now.

Palf70Step 09-02-2012 06:47 PM

Don't worry Alan. You thought of something I didn't, so I must be beyond senior :lol:

1enick72 09-02-2012 10:27 PM

good to hear you are getting your power issues figured out. Congrats on the award.

Solo2002 09-03-2012 07:59 AM

Hey I have a question for ya you use slick sand rite how do you mix it and what do you spray it with? I just got a quart guy at the supply shop said put the whole tube in it he's usually pretty good with the mixs but must have had a bad day:waah: I got half the quart on the truck and then went to splattering every where I felt the cup on my 2.0 gun and it was warm like filler so I pulled the cup off and it was like jello :smoke:but till that point I really like the way that stuff was working went on good layed down great any help would be great thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

flips72 09-05-2012 04:15 PM

congrats on the award alan, well deserved, and the steering wheel is sharp:metal:

Alan's Classic 09-07-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 5571083)
Don't worry Alan. You thought of something I didn't, so I must be beyond senior :lol:

:haha: :exit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1enick72 (Post 5571509)
good to hear you are getting your power issues figured out. Congrats on the award.

Thanks, it's a little funner to drive. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo2002 (Post 5571892)
Hey I have a question for ya you use slick sand rite how do you mix it and what do you spray it with? I just got a quart guy at the supply shop said put the whole tube in it he's usually pretty good with the mixs but must have had a bad day:waah: I got half the quart on the truck and then went to splattering every where I felt the cup on my 2.0 gun and it was warm like filler so I pulled the cup off and it was like jello :smoke:but till that point I really like the way that stuff was working went on good layed down great any help would be great thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

I get it by the gallon and it comes with 4 tubes of activator. With it being warmer or even hot outside it will kick too fast if you use all the activator. I adjust the activator to the temp outside. Is it right to do that? i don't know, but it has worked for me. I don't know what size cup your running on your gun, but I mix just enough for a cup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5576370)
congrats on the award alan, well deserved, and the steering wheel is sharp:metal:

Thanks, it won't be long and you'll be getting some of your own. ;)

Was planning on another show tomorrow, but the weather will keep the truck parked. ;(

Solo2002 09-07-2012 11:36 PM

It's an old siphon quart gun with a 2.0 tip but I'm gonna try to back off the activator and try it again I just buy quarts when I try something new so if I don't like it or doesn't work the way I like I'm not out much but I like this stuff just gotta get the mix rite what I got to spray is good I like the build and sands descent. Thanks for the help with this:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 09-07-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo2002 (Post 5580805)
It's an old siphon quart gun with a 2.0 tip but I'm gonna try to back off the activator and try it again I just buy quarts when I try something new so if I don't like it or doesn't work the way I like I'm not out much but I like this stuff just gotta get the mix rite what I got to spray is good I like the build and sands descent. Thanks for the help with this:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry for the delay with the help. Hope it works for ya. Mix 1/2 quart and adjust the activator according to the air temp and amount of slick sand. It your spraying outside and the gun is in sunlight, that will also affect it. UV light might accelerate the hardening process.

Solo2002 09-07-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5580820)
Sorry for the delay with the help. Hope it works for ya. Mix 1/2 quart and adjust the activator according to the air temp and amount of slick sand. It your spraying outside and the gun is in sunlight, that will also affect it. UV light might accelerate the hardening process.

Ok cool no prob on the delay mines out of my shop rite now in favor of a paying job and parts on the way so no biggie but thank you for the help
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 09-11-2012 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to go ahead and mount the amp. It's under the passenger seat. It's not done yet. This is where it's at now. Once it's welded and painted black it should flow together.

McMurphy 09-12-2012 12:46 AM

If I were going to mount an amp up under a seat like that, I would wire in a small fan, like the ones in computers. When an amp over heats, it starts to cut out on you, and it is very frustrating if you really love your tunes. In a small space like that it doesnt take much air circulation, granted, but every little bit helps IMO.
I would also not rule out Bose speakers.
They have awesome sound and I cannot think of a product that handles bass acoustics better especially.
Just because Bose are engineered and sold for home use does not mean they would not simply rock your truck's world !!
(I mention Bose because of their compact design. The size to sound quality simply cannot be beaten)

Strodder 09-12-2012 11:25 AM

Or just turn on the A/C. :lol:

CRGRS 66 09-13-2012 09:06 AM

Or move to Alaska:haha:

Alan's Classic 09-26-2012 11:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5588351)
If I were going to mount an amp up under a seat like that, I would wire in a small fan, like the ones in computers. When an amp over heats, it starts to cut out on you, and it is very frustrating if you really love your tunes. In a small space like that it doesnt take much air circulation, granted, but every little bit helps IMO.
I would also not rule out Bose speakers.
They have awesome sound and I cannot think of a product that handles bass acoustics better especially.
Just because Bose are engineered and sold for home use does not mean they would not simply rock your truck's world !!
(I mention Bose because of their compact design. The size to sound quality simply cannot be beaten)

For now I'll leave it like it is. Thanks for the idea. With it raised off the carpet it has air flow all the way around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5588794)
Or just turn on the A/C. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5590325)
Or move to Alaska:haha:

:haha:

Slow progress, but it's progress.

Amp is mounted and I started work on the kick panel pods. It's my first time making these. I want to incorporate a water bottle holder somehow. I've got an idea. We'll see how it looks and works.

Strodder 09-27-2012 10:11 AM

I like these for the kick panel speakers

http://htmlimg4.scribdassets.com/3e2...b8c596124d.png

J_Newton 10-04-2012 09:59 PM

I literally just spent 2 weeks reading all 174 pages of this build! Alan all I can say is wow! You have one awesome truck and do some great work. Motivated me to pull my old 65 out of the shop and start tinkering on it again.

It goes without saying but, keep up the great work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 10-05-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_Newton (Post 5629608)
I literally just spent 2 weeks reading all 174 pages of this build! Alan all I can say is wow! You have one awesome truck and do some great work. Motivated me to pull my old 65 out of the shop and start tinkering on it again.

It goes without saying but, keep up the great work!
Posted via Mobile Device

I really appreciate you taking the time to read the story of my journey. Progress is slow right now. There will be a few more pages before I can say its done.

I'm glad that your motivated on yours. Keep at it. "one thing at a time is progress"
Posted via Mobile Device

MacAttack 10-09-2012 06:53 PM

:metal: Alan - the rig couldn't look better.

I still have that picture of your long-eared dog sweeping up your floor.:lol:

Mac.:chevy:

greg65 10-09-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5631393)
I really appreciate you taking the time to read the story of my journey. Progress is slow right now. There will be a few more pages before I can say its done.

I'm glad that your motivated on yours. Keep at it. "one thing at a time is progress"
Posted via Mobile Device

So what is left to do to your truck? By the way it looks the list has to be pretty small. Great work as usual Alan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 10-11-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacAttack (Post 5638158)
:metal: Alan - the rig couldn't look better.

I still have that picture of your long-eared dog sweeping up your floor.:lol:

Mac.:chevy:

Thanks Mac, glad your stil tuned in. ;

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5638510)
So what is left to do to your truck? By the way it looks the list has to be pretty small. Great work as usual Alan.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Greg!! The list is very small, kind of. Still working the stereo, plumb the AC, Rear bumper fillers, Finish bolting the trim on, install some analog gauges in the glove box, paint the steering wheel. Several other little things to do before I can call it done. Oh yeah, I would like for it to be in a magazine. I'm not pursuing that until I get the AC and stereo done. ;)

CRGRS 66 10-11-2012 10:56 PM

Alan, I frequently look back to your first post. What an amazing journey, and story yours is. I am just getting started on mine. I am looking forward to the journey itself as well as the finished project, I am glad your thread keeps getting hits, keeps me inspired!!!

flips72 10-12-2012 07:18 AM

alan, are you driving your truck quite a bit?just wondering if its seeing much road time. amp mount turned out real nice.

chad64chevy 10-12-2012 08:45 AM

alan glad to see that your still posting, when you get the ac done you can post about it! i want ac in mine but the 2-65 is cheaper, lol!! that and it wont work with the gilmer belt drive!! but i need to look in to it more and i might be able to figure something out

fryer1979 10-12-2012 08:52 AM

Man I love reading through all the updates here. The truck came out killer Alan, always an inspiration.

Alan's Classic 10-12-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5642605)
Alan, I frequently look back to your first post. What an amazing journey, and story yours is. I am just getting started on mine. I am looking forward to the journey itself as well as the finished project, I am glad your thread keeps getting hits, keeps me inspired!!!

Thanks, and I'm glad to see your journey starting.

I got keep this thread going for the new guys/gals signing up. Maybe they will find a tidbit of info. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5642997)
alan, are you driving your truck quite a bit?just wondering if its seeing much road time. amp mount turned out real nice.

To be honest I haven't driven it since the last show. The weather is perfect right now to drive in. I might have to true up the tires tomorrow. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5643055)
alan glad to see that your still posting, when you get the ac done you can post about it! i want ac in mine but the 2-65 is cheaper, lol!! that and it wont work with the gilmer belt drive!! but i need to look in to it more and i might be able to figure something out

I'm still around, not like I use to be. Chasing a dollar lately.

All the components of the AC are in place, just need to tie them together. I added up $400-500 in fittings and hoses to finish it. OUCH

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryer1979 (Post 5643067)
Man I love reading through all the updates here. The truck came out killer Alan, always an inspiration.

I really appreciate the kind comments. :sexy:

Alan's Classic 10-13-2012 10:55 PM

I decided at the last minute to drive up to the Ellijay GA apple festival car show. I was #177 and I got there right at noon. That was the cut off time to register.

I had a great time. I had more people than any of the other 3 shows I've been too come and talk to me. Drooling does exist. One guy was at the festival and saw me pulling in and had to make the journey to the car show to see it. He was like a kid at Christmas. It was non stop from 12-4. Right before I was leaving a guy came up and asked how many times I buffed it. "none" I told him. I said I buffed the hood and that was it. It's not perfect by no means, but is pretty slick right out of the gun.

With that being said, I left without any bling. That's alright, there were a lot more deserving that didn't get anything as well. We can't win them all.

Btw this was my longest one way trip to date. 30 miles with 25 of it on the interstate. Pleased so far. It rolled over 330 miles

daverod 10-15-2012 08:47 AM

Great to see you so happy.:metal:

Alan's Classic 10-15-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5647842)
Great to see you so happy.:metal:

Thanks Dave, it was very nice to hear all that was said. It made the 5 years of hard work worth it. I'm glad I stuck it out. There were times that I wanted to quit for what ever reason.

I had to humble myself after the show, I'm just a wore out old Bodyman with a little experience. There are plenty of others that have tons more talent and experience than myself. I just hope I have helped someone in their journey. That's what I find the most beneficial to this forum as its a great support group to those that want to do it themselves.
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 10-15-2012 03:08 PM

Your build was one of the reasons I got into building old trucks. Thanks a million for your time. :uhmk: What's with the "worn out" stuff. You haven't even hit your prime.