The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

SCOTI 06-03-2010 03:52 PM

Re: Project: Recycle

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mpg (Post 4012007)
Im a fan of vintage style aftermarket gauges. I really like the Autometer Street rod gauge sets. I think I will be using the Antique beige gauges in my truck.

Stewart Warner 'Deluxe' series for my 64.

SCOTI 06-03-2010 08:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Loaded the big window swap pics.

Slice & dice (No, that's not me in the pic).
Small skin out.
Large skin in to test fit & trim.
Stripped & initial sealer on the large window skin....

SCOTI 06-03-2010 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Clean-up the inside surface of the OE outer skin in preparation for the install.
One final test fit to make sure every place that needs to be bare steel is for excellent adhesion.
Start the expert application of the panel bond adhesive (no, I didn't do it).
Continue the expert application of the panel bond adhesive ;) .
Bunch of clamps to keep the new big window skin where we want it....

SCOTI 06-03-2010 08:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Once the panel adhesive cures, the clamps are removed & the over-lapping OE small window skin is trimmed flush w/the new inner big window skin....

Painter D 06-03-2010 10:25 PM

I don't know how you've had this thread goin on for 6 mos., and I just now found it. Guess I'm not very observant. Your work looks killer so far ,keep it up. The BBW window conversion will definately be worth it after it's all said and done, that was an excellent decision to do that. I'll try to come check it out in person sometime soon.

SCOTI 06-03-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69chevyshort (Post 4012838)
I don't know how you've had this thread goin on for 6 mos., and I just now found it. Guess I'm not very observant. Your work looks killer so far ,keep it up. The BBW window conversion will definately be worth it after it's all said and done, that was an excellent decision to do that. I'll try to come check it out in person sometime soon.

Thank you sir! I'm ready to get this thing rollin' so we can do the Kellers deal again. Although, next to yours..... it will really look patina.

Frizzle Fry 06-04-2010 12:42 AM

All adhesive and no welds? I thought I would at least weld at the door edges. Not knockin it. I bet it'll be fine.

SCOTI 06-04-2010 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 4013169)
All adhesive and no welds? I thought I would at least weld at the door edges. Not knockin it. I bet it'll be fine.

Tacks for the corners & edges; adhesive everywhere else.

Jonboy 06-04-2010 10:00 AM

That looks tons better, Scoti.

Maybe an engine turned insert around the gauges would look kinda period, too?

N2TRUX 06-04-2010 10:11 AM

I love the BBW conversion. It's going to really bring this project forward. Aftermarket gauges....mmmm, not so much. This thing deserves more than that.

SCOTI 06-04-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4013641)
I love the BBW conversion. It's going to really bring this project forward. Aftermarket gauges....mmmm, not so much. This thing deserves more than that.

Look @ it this way..... Would you trust the project w/$400 45yr old gauges or $400 new '60's style gauges? Would it be better to know your actual voltage or guess what that handy (?) ampmeter is telling you? What about when the temp needle 1/2 way between H & C (or would you prefer to know you're @ 190°F)? Pick your poison.

I know our good firend N2billet faced a similar decision & opted for new gauges. I'm open to alternative suggestions....

darkhorse970 06-04-2010 06:27 PM

BBW looks great! I am convinced, and I have a donor cab waiting for me to haul it home. As for the gauges, I agree with you that the aftermarket "old style" gauges with engine turned panel will give you more accurate readings, with an old rod look...and if you're happy with them, thats what matters.

lakeroadster 06-04-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4013656)
Look @ it this way..... Would you trust the project w/$400 45yr old gauges or $400 new '60's style gauges? Would it be better to know your actual voltage or guess what that handy (?) ampmeter is telling you? What about when the temp needle 1/2 way between H & C (or would you prefer to know you're @ 190°F)? Pick your poison.

I went with new aftermarket gauges. The stock cluster on our trucks is ok visually but just as you have said I want to know actual readings for Oil Pressure, Temperature, Volts, Vacuum, Etc.

Oh, and the BBW instal was quite educational and the results are awesome. (I still like small back windows though :frog:)

Your truck mod's are an inspiration to us all!

Painter D 06-04-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4013185)
Tacks for the corners & edges; adhesive everywhere else.

If you're using the adhesive I think your using you'll have nothing to worry about, on that particular application.

SCOTI 06-05-2010 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69chevyshort (Post 4014551)
If you're using the adhesive I think your using you'll have nothing to worry about, on that particular application.

I'm not sure if they were trying to tell each other something in this pic or if they were trying to tell me something :lol: .... Either way, 3M panel bond adhesive was used.

protrash64 06-05-2010 11:06 AM

Nice job on the conversion; looks very nice.

N2TRUX 06-05-2010 11:42 AM

You have very valid points, I just don't like the look of aftermarket gauges in these trucks dash. Doesn't anyone restore the OEM cluster?

SCOTI 06-05-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4015480)
You have very valid points, I just don't like the look of aftermarket gauges in these trucks dash. Doesn't anyone restore the OEM cluster?

I considered having a gauge cluster restored. But, that $400 cost is just a clean 'gauge' cluster w/a 'new' re-pop tach (that works w/HEI). Now add the cost of restoring the gauges on top & we're way past the $400 aftermarket option.

I'm w/you on these trucks w/aftermarket gauges. I don't care for the generic billet/ABS plastic (like Covans) set-ups but there's only so much you can do when arranging the gauges within the given space. I'm trying to find some sort of compromise.... nostalgic appearing gauges that tell me what drivetrain vitals I need to know (actual temp, actual oil psi, actual voltage).

72BlckButy 06-05-2010 03:13 PM

Beautiful BBW conversion, much better!

ChiefRocka 06-06-2010 01:51 PM

Just read all this....great job man, all the advice you give is being put to work now....

Looking good bro...

:metal:

LILRED66 06-06-2010 02:05 PM

Nice write-up and photo-documentation on the BBW conversion. I am going to try the 3M, #8115, Panel Bonding Adhesive. It would make the conversion a lot less labor intensive, with regards to welding, grinding & top-dressing all puddle welds around the perimeter.

A completely restored factory dash cluster with gauges is less than $400.00...including night-glow green on inside of case, zinc-coat on outside of case, non-glare black on face of gauge backing plate, alumi-blast & clear on bezel surround, vinyl gauge faces, polished lens, refinished needles, bench-tested gauges, speedo lub & reset and new lamps. We have done several of them and they look amazing when they are done properly.

You can also purchase them refurbished at:

www.bowtiebits.com

joe231 06-06-2010 02:21 PM

$610 plus a $60 core charge at bowtiebits :eek:

SCOTI 06-06-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LILRED66 (Post 4017166)
Nice write-up and photo-documentation on the BBW conversion. I am going to try the 3M, #8115, Panel Bonding Adhesive. It would make the conversion a lot less labor intensive, with regards to welding, grinding & top-dressing all puddle welds around the perimeter.

A completely restored factory dash cluster with gauges is less than $400.00...including night-glow green on inside of case, zinc-coat on outside of case, non-glare black on face of gauge backing plate, alumi-blast & clear on bezel surround, vinyl gauge faces, polished lens, refinished needles, bench-tested gauges, speedo lub & reset and new lamps. We have done several of them and they look amazing when they are done properly.

www.bowtiebits.com

The cheapest I've found the aftermarket re-pop tach kits for is $190. The average prices for clean gauge clusters is $60-100. Add in the labor for clean-up, detailing or polishing, shipping, plus the 'new' tach kit w/shipping & that's where my $400 estimate for a restored 'gauge' cluster & bezel originated. I could be slightly high (or low) on the estimate & I'm not sure on the actual condition of the gauges or what if any warranty there would be.

Let me know if you've got a smokin' deal on something.....

SCOTI 06-06-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 4017192)
$610 plus a $60 core charge at bowtiebits :eek:

Exactly.

Jonboy 06-07-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LILRED66 (Post 4017166)

www.bowtiebits.com

8115 works really well for things like this. being lazy, I also used it to fill trim holes on a '94 Buick Roadmaster I had once upon a time. It worked great. I bring this up because the trim holes in these trucks are pretty similar. It would save a ton of panel warpage if one was going to fill all of the trim holes.