The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   4D'S "63" GMC Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=306951)

4dranch 02-13-2009 01:03 AM

Re: 4D'S "63" GMC Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiggamonsta (Post 3141291)
x2 on the air cast for the ankle. I got crutches when I sprained mine last year. About a week into it a friend lent me his air cast and it was a night and day difference.

The truck is looking good.

Thanks, tiggamonsta
I will get my wife to look into getting the air cast.

Alan's Classic 02-13-2009 01:09 AM

Looking good David. Hope you have a quick recovery.

4dranch 02-13-2009 01:15 AM

Thanks Alan

ChiefRocka 02-13-2009 08:09 AM

Your GMC is looking nice man...I actually like the look of the GMC tailgate....even though yours is made of bondo !!;)

The air-cast is a good thing....

Years ago I built a motorcycle-engine powered go-kart....on on a test ride...haulin a$$ down the city streets, lost major control....and plowed into (under) a parked car !

Broke my right foot, and was laid up for six months. I was on crutches, then an air-cast....it was very helpfull !!

Again, truck is look'n tough man !!

4dranch 02-14-2009 10:30 AM

Thanks John.

4dranch 02-26-2009 11:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Little update.

Been chasing a gremlin in the wiring and found the little ba^#@*d.
and it was all my fault. I had no power to the back of the truck.

Little history, while working on the massive freaking hole in the floor board, I thought why not start dropping stuff through the hole and I will sweep up later, one thing led to another and I was going to need most of my tools on the under side so dumb me started dropping them through also. well I snagged a brittle wire, didn't break all the way just enough to drive me crazy.:banghead:oh well :

also got the Radiator support braces back in

and started working on the drivers side body.

kizer 02-26-2009 12:21 PM

Man stop shooting photos. Your making me angry everytime I see my truck sitting in the garage.

Nice work man. Thats going to be one sweet looking rig when your all done. Still not to late for you to swap out the grill and tail gate for a Chevrolet, but none the less. ;)

Yes Air cast is awesome. I carry one in my Jeep when I go offroad. Dont even bother with an ace bandage on your ankle because the air cast is the only way to go.

jason65 02-26-2009 01:39 PM

Cool man. I like seeing my homies make progress.:metal: Have you scored a new tailgate yet?
Stop takeing pics are you :crazy:. We need more pics.:metal:

4dranch 02-26-2009 02:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3167847)
Cool man. I like seeing my homies make progress.:metal: Have you scored a new tailgate yet?
Stop takeing pics are you :crazy:. We need more pics.:metal:

Not yet Jason on the tailgate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3167737)
Man stop shooting photos. Your making me angry everytime I see my truck sitting in the garage.

Nice work man. Thats going to be one sweet looking rig when your all done. Still not to late for you to swap out the grill and tail gate for a Chevrolet, but none the less. ;)

Yes Air cast is awesome. I carry one in my Jeep when I go offroad. Dont even bother with an ace bandage on your ankle because the air cast is the only way to go.

Thanks Kizer,

Ooh, and while i was chasing the elctro gremlin, I cleaned up the wiring up under the dash and moved the After market radio that was mounted under the dash to the glovebox.

Alan's Classic 02-26-2009 04:06 PM

David,
I went back to your first pix of this truck and you have made some great progress. It's really taking shape.:metal: Nice work

kizer 02-26-2009 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3168062)
David,
I went back to your first pix of this truck and you have made some great progress. It's really taking shape.:metal: Nice work

Yeah no kidding. Hes done a great job IMHO. Im a true beliver of hiding the fancy decks as well. If you had a remote you'd be good to go. ;)

What are you plans for the interior of the cab? Same color as the outside or are you going to go with a different color?

4dranch 02-26-2009 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3168171)
Yeah no kidding. Hes done a great job IMHO. Im a true beliver of hiding the fancy decks as well. If you had a remote you'd be good to go. ;)

What are you plans for the interior of the cab? Same color as the outside or are you going to go with a different color?

No color picked out yet. My 11 year old is picking out the colors.
Here is her drawing after she looked at suzyq's artwork.
Keep in mind her mind changes every other day.:lol:

LUV2XCLR8 02-26-2009 05:55 PM

Just read every page, you gonna drive it in April to Memphis SCS ?

4dranch 02-26-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 3168247)
Just read every page, you gonna drive it in April to Memphis SCS ?

I will be there with my neighbor. I no my rig ain't a show truck,, but I want to share the hidden beauty that is hidden with in my truck:lol::lol: yeah I'll be there and hope to make it to the Tn. members get together.

4dranch 02-26-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3168062)
David,

Thanks Alan, and Get some rest, And hope you get to feeling better.

Eagletucky 03-04-2009 04:50 PM

A few question for a fellow GMC owner.

I noticed you lowered your truck a few inches back in late 2008. Could you elaborate on how you performed this? I'm thinking the back would take flipping the axel over the leaf dprings, but I wanted to confirn with someone who has already done it. BTW, if you have any pics of this, it would be really apprieciated!

Thanks in advance.

4dranch 03-04-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagletucky (Post 3179775)
A few question for a fellow GMC owner.

I noticed you lowered your truck a few inches back in late 2008. Could you elaborate on how you performed this? I'm thinking the back would take flipping the axel over the leaf dprings, but I wanted to confirn with someone who has already done it. BTW, if you have any pics of this, it would be really apprieciated!

Thanks in advance.

with funds low on my end I used the old school method of heating the front coils.
We just placed a set of jack stands up to the height we were shooting for and made sure it was level. then real slow heat the coils so that they would lay down with no gaps between the coils. we let the truck stay on the stands over night to make sure the springs were cool.

The back we removed 4 of the 8 leaf springs, I don't plan on carring any loads around. flipping the axle is also an option. I just didn't want to go that low at this time. If you still need some pictures I will get them for you.
Hope this helps out.

kizer 03-04-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3168192)
No color picked out yet. My 11 year old is picking out the colors.
Here is her drawing after she looked at suzyq's artwork.
Keep in mind her mind changes every other day.:lol:

Cool drawing. I should commision your girl for mine. ;)

Eagletucky 03-05-2009 11:44 AM

Thanks 4D,:metal:

No pics necessary.

4dranch 03-05-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagletucky (Post 3181277)

No pics necessary.

I know it's probable not what you were looking for. but any how.
keep everyone posted on your progress with lots of pictures.

Whatever you end up doing, I or someone else may end up doing the same thing.:metal:

kizer 03-05-2009 02:47 PM

Exactly. Just like my build. I'm sure I'm not the first nor the last to take photos of his truck being torn down and repaired. However gives others a little eye full and for myself I've never done it and its a HUGE confidence builder watching others do it.

Ranch, Is your front end flat with glossy paint on the bumper, grill and upper supports under the hood? If so I'm seriously digging that and I'm sure I've probably asked you once before and don't really know. Its giving me ideas, but also contridicting other ideas I've been kicking around in my head.

Corts60 03-05-2009 03:10 PM

Nice progress man! It would be cool to have your daughters drawing made into a sticker and put that on your back window or something....;)

4dranch 03-05-2009 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3179847)
Cool drawing. I should commision your girl for mine. ;)

She got a kick out of your reply:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagletucky (Post 3181277)

No pics necessary.

Sorry I didn't think of this earlier but you might want to get with corts60 on this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3181580)
Ranch, Is your front end flat with glossy paint on the bumper, grill and upper supports under the hood? If so I'm seriously digging that and I'm sure I've probably asked you once before and don't really know. Its giving me ideas, but also contridicting other ideas I've been kicking around in my head.

yes,
It's flat right now with the gloss bumper, grill and upper supports.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corts60 (Post 3181625)
Nice progress man! It would be cool to have your daughters drawing made into a sticker and put that on your back window or something....;)

That's a good idea, have the one suzyq drew on one side and hers on the other side.:metal:

jason65 03-06-2009 09:05 AM

What are you gonna do for taillights? Blue dot?

4dranch 03-06-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason65 (Post 3182998)
What are you gonna do for taillights? Blue dot?

I ordered just some regular lens from classic parts. but the kicker is I want to see how many folks notice the bowtie on them.