The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Just an Old Truck" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=517235)

jmedero 12-01-2012 11:33 PM

Re: Project "Just an Old Truck"

Was nice meeting you today. Truck looks good man.... Between you and rob I'm screwed trying not to do LS !! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 12-01-2012 11:36 PM

It was good to meet you too, I like putting faces to the names we see here on the board! lol I think you have a good plan, get it running and ride it around. While you are wringing out your suspension you can collect up LSx parts! :metal:

jmedero 12-01-2012 11:55 PM

Haha. Now your talking.
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 12-05-2012 09:59 PM

Got some work done over the last few days, adjusted the back brakes, they weren't doing much. Rerouted and adjusted the parking brake as it didn't work either! lol I trimmed the rear bump stops down to give me some more travel, I think I need a c-notch. Still chewing on the driveline alignment, I think I am going to make a 1' block to go under the transmission mount and see if it improves the angles. And I am still waiting on wheels...

C10_ustacould 12-06-2012 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So... I called about the wheels I ordered on the November 19th. I was told they will be here next Tuesday, 4 days from now. According to UPS the transit time from Utah is 4 days! I was told the wheels and tires were in stock and would be delivered in 7 to 10 days. If they show up on Tuesday it will have been 23 days. Anyway, if anyone is interested I ordered Polished Coy C-57s in 20X8.5 front and 22X9 rear. Here is a pic...

Bennett68C10 12-06-2012 09:21 PM

Nice choice on the wheels, I just hope Coys doesnt screw with you like they seem to do with everybody else. Can't wait to see them on.

Rusbuilt 12-06-2012 09:22 PM

Awesome wheels!!

jmedero 12-06-2012 09:35 PM

Sweet man. It's amazing what they tell you when your buying stuff. I paid and ordered stuff before and was told 2 weeks. 7 weeks later stuff gets shipped. Oh well right.
They will look clean man.
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 12-06-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5744214)
Nice choice on the wheels, I just hope Coys doesnt screw with you like they seem to do with everybody else. Can't wait to see them on.

Crossing my fingers, I was stalking my UPS guy all week. Glad I called, at least I can relax for a few days. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5744221)
Awesome wheels!!

Thanks, I wanted to do something different and I haven't seen many trucks with this wheel so I figured I'd give it a go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmedero (Post 5744245)
Sweet man. It's amazing what they tell you when your buying stuff. I paid and ordered stuff before and was told 2 weeks. 7 weeks later stuff gets shipped. Oh well right.
They will look clean man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks J!

Portmod7 12-07-2012 01:08 AM

Very nice! Hope they show up soon...

sourkraut 12-08-2012 08:50 PM

Very nice build

Justin36 12-09-2012 04:58 PM

Hey Buck, wheels are going to look great!

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 09:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin36 (Post 5748936)
Hey Buck, wheels are going to look great!

Thanks Justin, I think I like the gunmetal grey Coy's C-5s so much that going with a different wheel has me a little nervous. Hopefully we will see this week!

I did some work on drive line angles today. I removed the transmission crossmember, cut the perch off, flipped it, and re-welded it. It raised the tail shaft right at an inch, that is all I could raise it without getting into the floor. Of course raising it has moved my exhaust up into to top of the pass through holes in the trailing arm crossmember, so it needs to go back to the exhaust shop. I also notice the shifter was off because of the move so I will adjust it this week. I hope that this drive line correction, along with the new wheels and tires, and sending my drive shaft to be balanced will eliminate the vibration I get on the highway. I don't know how smooth one of these trucks can be, but I hope I can improve upon what I have.

Anyway here are a few pics of my work today...

gdavis 12-09-2012 09:38 PM

The cross member look so sweet I am using a stock one myself.

hfd410 12-09-2012 09:56 PM

i may have missed it but what are your tire sizes on the rally's?

lolife99 12-09-2012 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your truck should resemble this one.
These are 18/20's,...

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5749425)
Your truck should resemble this one.
These are 18/20's,...

Thanks for the pic! I think I saw that truck in a for sale ad. Do know any specs on that truck? Looks to be bagged.

I think I am going to have to get some narrow control arms (even with 5.25 bs) to keep from rubbing on the front inner fenders.

lolife99 12-09-2012 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is bagged.
I saw it at the Indy Goodguys with it's new wheels,...

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfd410 (Post 5749405)
i may have missed it but what are your tire sizes on the rally's?

The wheels are 15x7 front and 15x8 rear, and the tires are 255/70-15 all the way around. I think a 225/70-15 on the front would fit better, the front rubs in turns and when the front end dips.

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5749468)
It is bagged.
I saw it at the Indy Goodguys with it's new wheels,...

18 on the front is too small in my opinion. I went with this wheel in the polished because there are so many trucks in this color with grey five spokes on the board. When I saw Hot Trux had a grey 5 spoke I figured I needed to do something different. We'll see how it turns out when they get here. :eek:

lolife99 12-09-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5749488)
18 on the front is too small in my opinion. I went with this wheel in the polished because there are too many trucks in this color with grey five spokes on the board. When I saw Hot Trux had a grey 5 spoke I figured I needed to do something different. We'll see how it turns out when they get here. :eek:

I agree on 18's being too small up front.
I never worry about the wheels other people have.
I buy what I like,...;)

Hart_Rod 12-09-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5749359)
Thanks Justin, I think I like the gunmetal grey Coy's C-5s so much that going with a different wheel has me a little nervous. Hopefully we will see this week!

I did some work on drive line angles today. I removed the transmission crossmember, cut the perch off, flipped it, and re-welded it. It raised the tail shaft right at an inch, that is all I could raise it without getting into the floor. Of course raiding it has moved my exhaust up into to top of the pass through holes in the trailing arm crossmember, so it needs to go back to the exhaust shop. I also notice the shifter was off because of the move so I will adjust it this week. I hope that this drive line correction, along with the new wheels and tires, and sending my drive shaft to be balanced will eliminate the vibration I get on the highway. I don't know how smooth one of these trucks can be, but I hope I can improve upon what I have.

Anyway here are a few pics of my work today...

Nice welding! Did you do that yourself? ;) Did you ever try the rearend shims?

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5749495)
I agree on 18's being too small up front.
I never worry about the wheels other people have.
I buy what I like,...;)

That is why you are a guru!

In all seriousness, I appreciate your willingness to offer assistance and answer questions all the research you do. Rob (Hart_Rod) and I were talking last night about the quality of board members and the importance of guys like you, Scoti, STP67-72, hot trux, N2Trux, n2billet, havinsomefun, 67cheby, portmod7, and grigoloco (to name a few that have helped me) maintaining its integrity. I hope I can repay the deeds to those, like you, who pay it forward.

On another note, I graduated High School across the river from St. Louis and will be up that way next August, if it's not too far maybe we can meet up and do a little bench racing. :metal:

lolife99 12-09-2012 10:49 PM

A meet would be cool.
I'm about 90 miles from St. Louis.

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 5749503)
Nice welding! Did you do that yourself? ;) Did you ever try the rearend shims?

Yep, I surprise myself sometimes!

I haven't tried the shims yet, going one step at a time so I don't confuse the outcome. If had done them first it would have increased the angle at the front u-joint which was already 5°. Making progress though. If I bring my drive shaft up this week I'll give you a call to see if you are working on ur projects.