The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   my '64 c-10 swb project with steel floor from a '70 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=456163)

oldgoldchevy 09-26-2012 06:01 PM

Re: my '64 c-10 swb project with steel floor from a '70

Chad, I am a new member (usually on the 67 - 72 boards) and love the direction you are going with your truck. You sound alot like me, more dreams than $$$, so you have to build it yourself to have that cool ride. Good luck.

CRGRS 66 09-26-2012 07:26 PM

hey there chad, you mind if I ask where you got your AAW kit, and for how much, that is an item on my radar to buy soon

chad64chevy 09-26-2012 10:56 PM

thanks guys for the comments, and welcome oldgoldchevy!! flips i'll get a update in a few weeks! its going to rain this weekend and i still got to put an ac compressor in my daily driver before working on my truck!! i know i know more excuses right, lol!!

chad64chevy 10-01-2012 09:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well i guess i have another excuse, i have a 9yr. old girl in cali from an old girlfriend! long story short i have temp. custody as of today and she will be leaving cali to come stay with me by no later then this weekend and as early as tomorrow via my cousin is coming out there to see her dad and will be leavin tomorrow but not later then this weekend!! i hope!! my daughter is at my sisters house in cali as of now and will stay there until my cousin heads this way!!

i do have a small update i got my driver side rocker on almost all the way!! an my driver side floor patches done! my cousin left a battery on my truck floor and it ate my floor up pretty bad in the last yr. or so, so i bought some patches for it and made the two blue pieces and tacked them in, they i did a BIG NO-NO!! my uncle knows how to weld but built up the welds to much now i have to grind a bunch off the kick panel the rest i did and was ok!! i learned a lesson this weekend!! i left to go get some parts for my daily driver and told him ya, you can do a lil welding he said he was bored and wanted to do some welding since i was having to leave an get parts, never again, i repeat never again!! he only welded the kick panel in, the rockers are preowned but never installed and had the lip bend on them so i got them for 40 for the pair!!

this is what i have been doing the last two weekends but had to wait til they were almost done, all thats left is to spot weld the bottom lip and i will be done, the passenger side is good, i just got to replace the rocker!!

chad64chevy 10-01-2012 09:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
this is what it looked like when i cut them all out

Dinos63 10-01-2012 09:35 PM

nice work ! duude i am glad we dont have to deal with rust out here

McMurphy 10-01-2012 11:26 PM

I think your patch for that area turned out better than mine did !!

pdxhall 10-02-2012 01:44 AM

The patch job looks great. I'll be doing the same thing as soon as I get my outer rocker back on the passenger side. I started with the easy side first, it was less intimidating. My driver side will be very similar to what you've done but not quite as much off of the back of the floor.

clemdaddy 10-02-2012 07:35 AM

way-to-go chad... thats some fine work there.

congrats on the new addition to the family. maybe she'll be into old trucks.

CRGRS 66 10-02-2012 01:16 PM

nice work Chad, hope the reunion with your daughter is a good one

flips72 10-02-2012 06:19 PM

floor looks great, showing off some of them skills:metal: i also hope the reunion goes great with your daughter.

chad64chevy 10-03-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5623935)
nice work ! duude i am glad we dont have to deal with rust out here

thanks for the comment dino63, that dually of yours is looking bad a$$!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5624213)
I think your patch for that area turned out better than mine did !!

thanks mcmurphy, i liked the before and after pics you did on your truck, made me go look at some pics of mine!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 5624388)
The patch job looks great. I'll be doing the same thing as soon as I get my outer rocker back on the passenger side. I started with the easy side first, it was less intimidating. My driver side will be very similar to what you've done but not quite as much off of the back of the floor.

thanks pdxhall, i was looking at my rocker for the passenger side and realized it was the paint bubbling, so i'm hoping i dont have to take it off now!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5624511)
way-to-go chad... thats some fine work there.
congrats on the new addition to the family. maybe she'll be into old trucks.

thanks clem for the comment, really hope i can get my truck running by march 18th. and driving it this summer!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5624973)
nice work Chad, hope the reunion with your daughter is a good one

thanks crgrs 66, cant wait til you start your thread, and i'm hoping my daugther will be her this weekend!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5625493)
floor looks great, showing off some of them skills:metal: i also hope the reunion goes great with your daughter.

thanks flips, i really hope to get it to look the way i imagine it in my head!! my skills are limited to what i have the nerves to do without messing up, lol!!

chad64chevy 10-03-2012 07:21 PM

i guess i know how to multi-quote now , lol!!!

CRGRS 66 10-04-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5627493)
i guess i know how to multi-quote now , lol!!!

you go girl!!!

chad64chevy 10-12-2012 01:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
got some more parts in this week, (second order i placed with tax money) took long enough to ship!! but i got my edelbrock 2601 air gap intake, gilmer belt drive for a lwp, my lunati 260 bare bones camshaft and lifters, 6 3/4" harmonic balancer, double roller timing chain ( my not goting with the quiet gear drive i bought)! still waiting on the parts for the steering column so i can put it back together, and the fuel tank hoses, fuel pump and header wrap heres some pics!!! still need to buy my starter, radiator, exhaust tubing, plug wires, a few fittings and bolts, transmission filter and my air breather! and a few other small things to get it running!

CRGRS 66 10-12-2012 04:14 PM

NICE

hey Chad, could you tell me where you got your AAW harness, and roughly what you paid for it?

chad64chevy 10-12-2012 07:10 PM

thanks craig, i hope before it starts to get to cold i can get all this started and that way i'll have the interior to do around jan. or feb. maybe just have to get it registered, and the rear disc brakes and get new axles after march before summer, that way i can be driving it this summer safely!! left you a message in your thread about the wiring harness!! flips72 also bought the same harness and his is all installed and would be some help for both of us!! if i can help just let me know!!

i'm really thinking of just buying the gasket set and trans filter and start pulling the engine and installing parts, and detailing the outside of this engine so i'll really feel like i'm doing something! i just hate having to work on my truck outside and its been raining the last few weekends!!

on a side note my daugther from cali has been hear since monday and we are all adjusting, went today to enroll her for school had to wait on so paper work!! she really isnt in to cars and trucks like my lil ones, she seen my truck and said 'oh cool that will be nice, lol!!! my lil ones let me know every time i get parts in and tell me were they are at in the house and wait to see what i got in!! but maybe things will change, she had to raise herself pretty much and i just want her to be a kid and have fun!! but at the sametime i had to have the 'rules' talk with her!!

coulter 10-12-2012 07:25 PM

nice work on the patches!! also diggin the new pile of parts :metal::metal:

i see you talking bout getting axles. im guessing you going five lug? i still have my old 6 lug axles. you can have them if you wanna go get them redrilled

chad64chevy 10-12-2012 07:30 PM

coulter, i'm staying with the 6 lug like i did with the front i'm just going to get the alloy axles and a posi i hope to go witht e 3.73 gears i have now

McMurphy 10-12-2012 10:36 PM

I want to stay with my 6 lugs too.
But now I have to get the new front rotors since I did the disc brake upgrade using the 1985 front end....

You got some scary new parts there Chad !!!

flips72 10-16-2012 07:06 PM

man i need one of them surprize checks, nice parts:metal:

chad64chevy 10-21-2012 07:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
thanks flips, now just cause your trucks done dont be a stranger, lol!!

anyways i got a small update to what i've been doing this weekend, i got my driver side rear wheel tub tubbed, got my gas filler welded in, tested fitted the steering column, and tested fitted my valve covers and intake!! the tub could have been better, but looks ok!! next week i hope to have the motor pulled and put the parts i have in and on the motor, and put the motor back in!! hopefully, lol!!!

gauge cluster will come out, my other one will go back in! i got all the wiring pulled out, the firewall on the driver side needs to be messaged a lil more, but will be when motors pulled!

anyways heres the pics!!!

Alan's Classic 10-21-2012 08:09 PM

Very nice progress, keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

CRGRS 66 10-22-2012 11:03 AM

all looks good Chad, good to see the progress:metal:

flips72 10-22-2012 05:04 PM

looking great, how much did you end up widening your tubs?

chad64chevy 10-23-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5660204)
Very nice progress, keep it up!
Posted via Mobile Device

thanks alan good to hear from you, i know its not close to your truck, but its good enough for me, lol!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5661268)
all looks good Chad, good to see the progress:metal:

thanks craig, cant wait to see what you do to your truck, i know it will be nice! you have a great truck to start with!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5661807)
looking great, how much did you end up widening your tubs?

thanks flips, i ended up widening it 4.5-4.75" thats from the outside edge of the lip to the weld line! i wanted it to look factory just wider, so i just went to the next rib in the steel floor and the bolt holes look evenly spaced now! i can put a 15.5" tire under there and have a lil space! the inside of the edge of the tub is almost straight up from the outside edge of the frame, hope that helps explain, lol!!!!

CRGRS 66 10-23-2012 09:47 PM

Hey Chad, what ignition switch is that you have in there? Does it have an Accessory position?

chad64chevy 10-24-2012 07:14 PM

craig, i'm not to sure! i bought the ignition from oreilly's auto parts about 5 yrs. ago for a 64 c-10 and only used it for like 3-4 times! i'll let you know this weekend for sure if it has a accessory position or not! i got to take it out so i can get the gauge cluster out!!

coulter 10-26-2012 11:20 PM

diggin the new updates man!!! nice work on them tubs

chad64chevy 10-28-2012 09:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks coulter for the comment, you need to go to clems meet and greet and i can bring those other tubs to you! or when i go to tulsa for thanksgiving we can get together then!!

well since i have my lil 9yr. girl from cali, then truck progress has slowed down some, i wanted to get the passenger side done but the wife wants me to stay home and spend time with her!! cause shes a lil 'wild' and thats putting it mild, she is about sit in her ways about what she will eat and dont eat, a lil disrepectful!! my wife says its cause she got to do what she want out there and we have rules, but anyways enough about that!!

i did get my driver door to line up better and it opens and closes! since i did the floor patches the door wouldnt open, so i used some other hinges from another set of doors i have and fixed my driver door! its really stiff to open and close but is getting a lil easier since i sprayed it with wd-40!! i'll get some other pics today hopefully

McMurphy 10-28-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 5672340)
cause shes a lil 'wild' and thats putting it mild, she is about sit in her ways about what she will eat and dont eat, a lil disrepectful!!

You know I never had a problem with kids being picky eaters, and here is why.
If you dont even start cooking until they are HUNGRY, then by the time you set the table, they will eat anything in front of them !!
Works like a charm.
The disrespect I cannot tolerate tho...good luck with that one.

chad64chevy 11-09-2012 09:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
i played around with my ammeter and switched to a volts meter!! i had a triple set of sunpro gauges for the volts, oil, water! i took the volts gauge housing apart and oblonged the two holes, also cut about 1/4" off the original housing! so it would slide down a lil and look more centered in the gauge cluster! anyways sorry for the crappy pics but i think you get the idea, last picture the gauge is just sitting in there and slide to the left a lil!! i think i'm going to add the oil and water gauge tomorrow

McMurphy 11-10-2012 01:32 AM

Very slick dude, great idea to adapt it like that.

chad64chevy 11-10-2012 05:09 PM

thanks mcmurphy, i looked more at my oil and temp gauge and it wont work they have 250-300 degree sweep!! but i desided to try this when i saw that flips was asking about switching since the aaw wiring harness runs off a 12 volt system! i saw some other gauges i like and if i can safe for them, i'm going to buy them and use these for a spare

McMurphy 11-11-2012 02:45 AM

I have two sets of all original guage cluster set ups if you need any of them!
I even rebrubished and rolled back the odo on one of them before I decided on some modern guages.
If you want them just say the word brother !!

flips72 11-11-2012 10:05 AM

looks good chad, any pics of the backside?

chad64chevy 11-11-2012 03:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5696354)
I have two sets of all original guage cluster set ups if you need any of them!
I even rebrubished and rolled back the odo on one of them before I decided on some modern guages.
If you want them just say the word brother !!

thanks mcmurphy for the offer, but i'm going to get this to work or go with a gauge set like dino63 has in the prostreet and the dually!! have you but the jeep door checks in yet???

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5696569)
looks good chad, any pics of the backside?

flips, i got you some pictures!! the holes could just be redrilled lower but i wasnt to sure as to how low they needed to be, so i just got the rasp bit an oblonged the holes til they we're low enough! if i had to do it again i would redrill the holes about 3/8" lower, a lil bit out some an use a 1/4" bit or so and go from there hope this helps!!

last picture is a lil brighter an i still have to adjust the gauge so the 8 an 18 are level in the housing! i have looked at the sunpro gauges that have a 60-90 degree sweep for the temp, fuel, and oil there about $20 apiece!! at the least i'm going to buy the fuel gauge, seeing that the oil gauge go's from 0-100 not 0-60 like it says on the gauge face but i can erase that!! anyways we'll see how it go's and i'll keep you up to date on it, when i get around to messing with it!!

chad64chevy 11-11-2012 03:11 PM

and an update about my oldest girl she went back to cali cause she didnt like are rules, and everything was different!! i just think it was that they let her do what she wanted

clemdaddy 11-12-2012 09:14 AM

hey chad... i just caught up with your build. like the progress on the gauges. and your metal work is real fine, easy to tell you've held a welder before.:lol:

was that the cali daughter at the cruise-in? if so, i didn't put that together.
hope the family settles back to normal, nothing like peace and quiet on the homefront.

now, get busy my friend...

chad64chevy 11-12-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5698231)
hey chad... i just caught up with your build. like the progress on the gauges. and your metal work is real fine, easy to tell you've held a welder before.:lol:

was that the cali daughter at the cruise-in? if so, i didn't put that together.
hope the family settles back to normal, nothing like peace and quiet on the homefront.

now, get busy my friend...

thanks clems for the comments, i rush myself alot when i'm welding and i really need to slow down! i didnt take any girls with me to the criuse-in, it was just the guys that went! me, my dad, my son, and my brother from another mother, lol!!!