The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My suburban's Twisted Little Sister (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655167)

65sub 01-06-2016 10:50 PM

Re: My suburban's Twisted Little Sister

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7430104)
Good progress with getting the cross bracing out. You guys sure stay at it consistently. I have this week and my knees are pretty sore.

Thanks A.D. We were getting kinda tired of climbing over the bracing so its nice to get them out. I think a little pain is the price we all pay for our trucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7431000)
Always a good feeling when making progress in the right direction. Mad skillz you have.

Thanks Bomp

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7435532)
Nice the rear body is standing by itself :) When you get there if you want a small seat look for one from a Jeep. My CJ rear seat is small 2 adults= real cozy.

Thanks for the idea Lowers I'll check a Jeep next chance I get. Seats are a ways off but it won't hurt to look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jferrante (Post 7436507)
Great work! - Builds like these have motivated me to learn how to weld and fabricate, need to start somewhere. Keep up the great work.

Thanks J Remember good welding takes practice and patience .

In the last couple of days we got the sheetmetal for the corners behind the rear wheel tubs fabricated and mostly welded in

65sub 01-07-2016 09:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the prototype door hinge version 2.0 assembled today. This one is smaller and tipped slightly to align the pivot points. I also made a matching nut plate that will be welded into the center roof

65sub 01-13-2016 10:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Monday and Tuesday we built some mounts and links for the rear sway bar. For the mounts we modified the originals. To mount the links we used the original transverse leaf spring mount and made brackets to hold the bushings. Then we made the links with threaded rod and some 1/8 by 1 steel.

65sub 01-13-2016 10:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have been looking for a gas tank to fit in the back of the truck but didn't find any that filled the available space. So today we started to make one to fit. The space for the tank is 38" X 15 X 10. We started with a sheet of stainless and bent a large box 37" X 14.5" X 9". Put a few beads in it to stiffen it a bit. Then we made two baffles and two end panels. Tomorrow we will hopefully start welding.

lower50's 01-13-2016 10:59 PM

That will be a nice tank. What gauge stainless did you use?

AJCK87 01-14-2016 11:41 AM

Nice work! Coming along great

Johnny_Lamebridge 01-14-2016 02:22 PM

Looks like you're having lots of fun! I'm curious to see how you close up the end panels.

65sub 01-14-2016 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7446849)
That will be a nice tank. What gauge stainless did you use?

Thanks Lowers. We're using 18 gauge stainless. Working with it is tough enough I wouldn't want any thing thicker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCK87 (Post 7447274)
Nice work! Coming along great

Thanks AJ We getting there a bit at a time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Lamebridge (Post 7447473)
Looks like you're having lots of fun! I'm curious to see how you close up the end panels.

Hi John Any day in the shop is a good day. The end panels will just be butt welded all around the edge.

Today we got the baffles tacked in and part of the seam welded

IWanna49 01-14-2016 10:59 PM

Love it! Don't have it, can't find it, MAKE it!!!

62stepside longbox 01-14-2016 11:38 PM

Very nice work. Love to see awesome fabrication like this. What some see as just metal others see as an art.

lower50's 01-18-2016 11:25 AM

Nice detail on the tank. I used 16ga for my stainless tank but had it bent up for me. How many liter will the tank be?

winslowgoodwin 01-19-2016 06:32 PM

very nice work!

Bomp 01-20-2016 12:10 AM

Dropped in, got caught up to date.

Yup, Blown away

Always get excited when I see your thread at the top.

65sub 01-23-2016 08:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IWanna49 (Post 7448061)
Love it! Don't have it, can't find it, MAKE it!!!

Thanks Greg. Nothing on this truck just fits so everything we do takes so cutting and welding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7448128)
Very nice work. Love to see awesome fabrication like this. What some see as just metal others see as an art.

Thanks Nik. I don't know if it's art but it sure is fun to build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7451974)
Nice detail on the tank. I used 16ga for my stainless tank but had it bent up for me. How many liter will the tank be?

Thanks Lowers. My tank is 76.5 litres or for our US friends about 20 gallons

Quote:

Originally Posted by winslowgoodwin (Post 7453727)
very nice work!

Thanks Winslow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7454218)
Dropped in, got caught up to date.

Yup, Blown away

Always get excited when I see your thread at the top.

Glad you got caught up I'm just trying to inspire you to go out and do some welding on Steiner so we can all get a update

We got a bit more done on the tank. We welded in the end panels. Then we used a hole saw to cut three holes in the top. 1 for the filler neck, 1 for the sending unit and one for the in tank fuel pump. Then we drilled the mounting holes and tacked the split rings inside the tank.

Advanced Design 01-23-2016 09:25 PM

Nice work on the tank!

Bomp 01-23-2016 10:39 PM

Diggin' that custom tank and all the other things you take on.

65sub 01-25-2016 10:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7458635)
Nice work on the tank!

Thanks Doug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7458811)
Diggin' that custom tank and all the other things you take on.

Thanks Greg

Today we got all the pieces ready to go in the tank. Fuel pump, filler with cap and the sending unit. Then we made the first panel of the floor above the fuel tank.

62stepside longbox 01-25-2016 11:40 PM

lookin good:metal:

65sub 01-28-2016 09:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7461682)
lookin good:metal:

Thanks Nik

We did a test fit of the gas tank today. After some trimming of the sway bar bracket it's tight but it fits. We pulled the tank back out and spot welded the panel above the front of the tank. The straps that will hold the tank in will mount to this panel. We also spot welded one of the side panels on.

piratexpress1369a 01-29-2016 09:21 PM

just read your build .. rhis is AWESOME ...i would love to see this up close and trhe speed you are building this blows my mine ....

Advanced Design 01-29-2016 10:16 PM

That tank fits like it was made for that space...oh wait, it was. Great work 65!

Did you make the panel that goes to the front (toward vehicle front) of the tank?

65sub 02-01-2016 10:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 7466450)
just read your build .. rhis is AWESOME ...i would love to see this up close and trhe speed you are building this blows my mine ....

Thanks Pirate. If you're ever in the area let me know and maybe we can get together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7466513)
That tank fits like it was made for that space...oh wait, it was. Great work 65!

Did you make the panel that goes to the front (toward vehicle front) of the tank?

Space is definitely at a premium at the back so making a tank was the best option.
We did make that panel. We just ran a bead around it to stiffen it a bit

We started today making the panels that are beside the back of the tank. Then we spot welded them in. Next made the panel that goes above the gas tank. This panel will go in after the back panel. The last picture is one of the back panels

62stepside longbox 02-01-2016 10:45 PM

Lookin good Dale:metal:

lower50's 02-02-2016 06:40 PM

I love the panels you made. Looks like you bought them :) Will the filler be outside above the bumper?

65sub 02-03-2016 10:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7470223)
Lookin good Dale:metal:

Thanks Nik

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7471267)
I love the panels you made. Looks like you bought them :) Will the filler be outside above the bumper?

Thanks Lower. These panels will never be seen but it's good practice making them. Yes the filler will be above the bumper behind the licence plate.

We worked on the rear sheetmetal some more today. We clamped the rear panels in place. Then we trimmed the floor panel and made some spacer blocks out of plastic. We screwed the spacers to the bottom of the floor panel and then clamped the floor in place.

Bomp 02-03-2016 11:01 PM

Interesting configuration on the back floor section.
Can't wait to see it all together, like the direction, Im just having a hard time fully understanding the whole enchilada.
Dig those beaded panels. Totally envious.

65sub 02-04-2016 09:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7473196)
Interesting configuration on the back floor section.
Can't wait to see it all together, like the direction, Im just having a hard time fully understanding the whole enchilada.
Dig those beaded panels. Totally envious.

Thanks Bomp. I didn't mean to keep my plan a secret, and trust me I do have a plan. The area above the gas tank is for the air tank and compressors. Then the floor with a hinged access panel will go above that. The rear doors will be changed from an upper and lower tailgates to just the upper gate lengthened about 8 inches.

We had short day today but we did make some gas tank straps and mounting brackets. Then since we will be moving on to the firewall soon we dug out the bare block and transmission case to use for mock up

pimpston65 02-04-2016 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7474327)
Thanks Bomp. I didn't mean to keep my plan a secret, and trust me I do have a plan. The area above the gas tank is for the air tank and compressors. Then the floor with a hinged access panel will go above that. The rear doors will be changed from an upper and lower tailgates to just the upper gate lengthened about 8 inches.

We had short day today but we did make some gas tank straps and mounting brackets. Then since we will be moving on to the firewall soon we dug out the bare block and transmission case to use for mock up

finally the V12 is back!!!!

62stepside longbox 02-05-2016 12:39 AM

This is where it really starts to get interesting
V12 power:metal:

lower50's 02-05-2016 04:27 PM

So cool I forgot your using a jag V12 :metal:

65sub 02-08-2016 08:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7474330)
finally the V12 is back!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7474503)
This is where it really starts to get interesting
V12 power:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7475143)
So cool I forgot your using a jag V12 :metal:

Yes guys the V12 makes an appearance but just for mock up at the moment.

Our first attempt at installing the motor ran into a few obstacles. The oil pan hit the motor mounts, the cam cover hit the firewall and the transmission hit the tunnel. So out comes the cut off wheels.

Trixxterr 02-08-2016 08:39 PM

Mmm, nice. Looks like some massaging is goin to be in order. I don't think it's going to run right in that position. Lol.

65sub 02-08-2016 08:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We started cutting just a little from the firewall above the transmission. We soon realized we needed more more space. Then we cut a larger opening up to the wire gutter.

Bomp 02-08-2016 10:01 PM

Thats more like it.

Motor/trans in, level. Build truck around it.

I like it.

lower50's 02-09-2016 09:22 AM

Sounds familiar: motor, trans, cut body to fit. That looks so cool sitting there. :metal:

Advanced Design 02-09-2016 08:09 PM

I always love the newbie question of...Can I fit xxxxx engine in such and such vehicle....and from now on I can answer....sure you can if you can do this....and send them here.

Such cool and skillfully determined fab work 65!

piratexpress1369a 02-10-2016 10:25 PM

thats cool ..is the motor sitting on the rack and pinon

65sub 02-11-2016 10:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trixxterr (Post 7478913)
Mmm, nice. Looks like some massaging is goin to be in order. I don't think it's going to run right in that position. Lol.

Thanks Trixxter. We did have to cut a bit to get the motor level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7479036)
Thats more like it.

Motor/trans in, level. Build truck around it.

I like it.

Thanks Bomp. Sounds simple doesn't it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7479460)
Sounds familiar: motor, trans, cut body to fit. That looks so cool sitting there. :metal:

Thanks lower. Kinda like doing a diesel build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7480232)
I always love the newbie question of...Can I fit xxxxx engine in such and such vehicle....and from now on I can answer....sure you can if you can do this....and send them here.

Such cool and skillfully determined fab work 65!

Thanks Doug. Can I .... is a question that never gets asked. Should I ... but never can I ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 7481698)
thats cool ..is the motor sitting on the rack and pinon

Thanks Pirate. The motor is sitting just behind the rack high enough for the harmonic dampener to clear.

To make the motor mounts we started by making bracket to bolt to the block. Next we bolted stock chevy motor mounts to the bracket. Then we bolted them to the block

62stepside longbox 02-11-2016 10:45 PM

Nice work dale:metal:

Johnny_Lamebridge 02-13-2016 02:02 AM

Lots of progress... I've been really busy (and stressed :m6:) at work, and busy with family stuff, but I check in whenever i have a chance to see whats happening. I love checking in on your build!