The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

pdxhall 03-25-2014 09:40 PM

Re: pdx-sanity66

Well, I just got back from vacation. A week and a half in Akumal, Mexico getting some much needed sunshine.:ito: Drank a lot of Tequila, ate good food, and did a bunch of snorkeling. Now it's back to harsh reality of real life. :metal: Not much to update but tomorrow I start 3 days off and hope to get some stuff done. The water pump I bought was wrong so I sent it back and got another. I fitted up my driveshaft and I need to take it back and have the rear section shortened a little more, and I picked up a couple of fittings I needed to complete the brake plumbing so I hope to get that done, also. The weather is starting to warm up so I will be back on the body work again. Next is to get the cab flipped back upright and get the firewall patching done so I can get the cab back on the chassis and start fitting up the fenders, etc. So that's the plan for the next while. :metal:

NEWFISHER 03-25-2014 10:47 PM

Welcome back to the liquid sunshine of Oregon

siggyfreud 03-26-2014 01:13 AM

Indeed! I'm actually in Phoenix right now on business and am reluctant to return to the rain.

TJ's Chevy 03-26-2014 11:33 AM

Welcome back to the Oregon rain! LOL! I'm jealous!!!! :lol::chevy:

pdxhall 03-30-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 6595078)
Welcome back to the liquid sunshine of Oregon

Thanks, man. The rain I didn't miss and we had a great time but it's nice to be back and working on the truck

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6595297)
Indeed! I'm actually in Phoenix right now on business and am reluctant to return to the rain.

I hope you had a great trip and got some of that sun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6595823)
Welcome back to the Oregon rain! LOL! I'm jealous!!!! :lol::chevy:

Thanks, T.J.

Well, I did get some stuff done this last weekend but not as much as I had wanted. We have been looking for a new camper and we drove up to Kelso, WA to check one out on Friday and then came back and looked at the other one we had picked out. We had it narrowed down to just 2. We are planning of retiring in about 10 months and we want to travel around the US and other places and we want something that we can get in to places that you can't drag a trailer. I mentioned earlier that I had traded my Tundra in on a 2014 Silverado 3500HD 4x4 dually and the next step was the camper. Saturday we bought Lance 1170 2 slide out camper. We are now one step closer to our goal! :metal:
This also puts more pressure on me to get stuff done on Sanity during this next year.

I did manage to work on the serpentine system some more and it's starting to come together. I've got everything fit up except the power steering pump. I am rebuilding it first and I ordered a new reservoir for it. I am also going to replace the idler pulleys. I cleaned up the alternator and had it tested to make sure it was good before installation and I got a AC compressor dummy pulley and bracket to use. I cleaned up some casting marks and and got it painted. I got my replacement water pump and got it and the pulley mounted also. The front of the motor is almost complete.
Since the weather is starting to warm up some I also decided to get back to body work so I can get the cab flipped back up right and the set back on the frame soon after. There was one spot just above the dimmer switch and one spot under and around the Steering shaft hole that needed to be cut out and patched. I got them cut out and the patches fit up but ran out of time to drag out the welder so that will be next weekend.
I didn't have time to take some pics before going to work so I'll try to post a few tomorrow.

pdxhall 04-04-2014 03:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got the patches welded in today. You can see where there was a little bit of burn through on the top of the left patch and the right side of the right patch where I have also marked to cut out. The metal was still a little thin so I'll cut a couple more small patches to get to good metal. I also rust encapsulated the inner piece on the steering shaft opening after wire wheeling it and before welding in the patch. I also took a shot of the serpentine set up as it stands now. I'm heading to the swap meet in the morning with rain gear in tow. :metal:

TJ's Chevy 04-04-2014 11:21 AM

Nice work! :metal:

Larry64 04-06-2014 07:43 PM

pdxhall
Great right-up. Getting ready to do my floor pans, inner & outer rockers, etc. Looking at the job you did I will need more patch panels.
Larry

pdxhall 04-07-2014 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry64 (Post 6615554)
pdxhall
Great right-up. Getting ready to do my floor pans, inner & outer rockers, etc. Looking at the job you did I will need more patch panels.
Larry

Thanks for looking in Larry. Good luck on the patching. It is a "learn as you go" for me. I've gotten a lot of good help and information from other guys builds.

I just got another shipment from Summit and thought I'd share. New idler and tensioner pulleys for the serpentine setup, power steering reservoir, and a Moog pitman arm. Now I can do my power steering setup and finish the serpentine system.

siggyfreud 04-07-2014 07:36 PM

Looking good! I've been receiving Summit boxes like mad for a few months now. Looks like the Portland area is giving Summit some healthy support.

Wish I could patch weld like you.

TJ's Chevy 04-07-2014 11:07 PM

X2. :chevy:

McMurphy 04-08-2014 11:09 PM

I am real interested in seeing how you tear down the PS pump you are rebuilding....

1963c-10 04-09-2014 10:11 AM

Nice work on the patches. The frame and engine look great...glad you got the mounts figured out.

pdxhall 04-22-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6617543)
Looking good! I've been receiving Summit boxes like mad for a few months now. Looks like the Portland area is giving Summit some healthy support.

Wish I could patch weld like you.

Thanks, siggy. I'm on a first name basis with the delivery guys right now. :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6617975)
X2. :chevy:

Thanks, T.J.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6619841)
I am real interested in seeing how you tear down the PS pump you are rebuilding....

I started the tear down last weekend and took a bunch of pics. There are some really good videos on Youtube that go through the steps. It's real easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6620367)
Nice work on the patches. The frame and engine look great...glad you got the mounts figured out.

Thanks, man.

pdxhall 04-22-2014 12:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the patch work I finished last weekend.Besides the area I shown in the last pics, I finished the edge patch and closed up the clutch hole. I'm pretty much ready to set the cab back upright and finish the firewall.

TJ's Chevy 04-22-2014 03:58 PM

Good work! Looks good! :chevy:

pdxhall 05-10-2014 09:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's been awhile since I updated the thread but I've been getting some stuff done. First off I finished rebuilding my power steering pump. Here are a few pics of the tear down. There are some good videos on youtube of the process.

pdxhall 05-10-2014 09:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the assembly ready to put back together with new o-rings and seal. There is also a bushing available where the shaft goes through the housing but mine was in great shape so I chose not to replace it If you have any wobble in the shaft the bushing needs to be pressed out and the new one pressed back in. The rest is just putting it back together the way it came apart. The last pic is painted up all pretty along with the alternator pulley.

pdxhall 05-10-2014 10:07 PM

I also got my driveshaft back from having it shortened and it's ready to go in, and I got my cab flipped back off of it's back and ready to start finishing up the firewall.
I also picked up a 67-72 rear Blazer/Custom bumper. My plan is for a painted rear bumper and this one is chrome so I will either see if I can trade it to someone for a painted one or scuff up and paint this one.
And finally, I also got my Lokar 23" Nostalgia shifter for the 700r4 and the "TV made easy" kit from Bowtie Overdrives.
More pics to follow.:metal:

bj383ss 05-11-2014 07:54 AM

Im very interested in how your shifter works out I am planning to go the same route. I also like the Bowtie overdrive stuff for the 700r4. I plan on buying the cable setup and maybe the valve they sale as well.

Bret

pdxhall 05-11-2014 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6668408)
Im very interested in how your shifter works out I am planning to go the same route. I also like the Bowtie overdrive stuff for the 700r4. I plan on buying the cable setup and maybe the valve they sale as well.

Bret

I think the shifter is going to work out perfectly. I did some preliminary measuring and I think it will sit just in the right position I am looking for, very close to stock. And it has almost a foot of adjustment options front to rear. I have been very impressed with Bowtie Overdrives write ups and instructions on setting these transmissions up. The cable kit comes with the cable, the carb mount and gaskets, the TV brackets for the carb, and the replacement spring for the valve so it requires pulling the pan to install the spring. Which valve are you referring to?

CRGRS 66 05-11-2014 11:24 PM

Great progress!!!!!

pdxhall 05-22-2014 07:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, it's picture day. I haven't been keeping up too good lately but here are a few new additions.
First, This is the last picture I'll bother you with of the serpentine belt system. It's all finished now except putting on the belt A brand new one came with the system but it seems to be a little short. Maybe a little different with the AC delete pulley rather than the AC compressor. I haven't checked yet. Nest is a pic of the cab flipped back, doors hung just to get them out of the way. I've been shuffling them around the garage all winter. And finally, I picked up another tailgate and a 67-72 rear bumper. I've already got 2 tailgates, this makes 3, but I couldn't pass up the deal and it's as perfect as a used tailgate that you'll find outside of NOS or and early take off. I have been planning on using one of these bumpers since the beginning of the build but I've been looking for a painted original. For the price, I'll strip this one and powdercoat it. The last pic is my new Lokar shifter and trans dipstick.
I'm going to patch a few holes in the firewall and then get some epoxy on it in the next couple of days.

aggie91 05-23-2014 09:56 AM

Nice!

Bomp 05-23-2014 08:30 PM

Your motor and frame look so crisp and clean. Always like looking in on the progress.

rusty76 05-23-2014 08:45 PM

Great job!

pdxhall 05-23-2014 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 6690144)
Nice!

Hey man, thanks for looking in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6690764)
Your motor and frame look so crisp and clean. Always like looking in on the progress.

I wish I had the skills to do the things you do to Steiner but I don't so I go a much simpler route. Things are clean because it takes me so long to figure out where I'm going next that I have plenty of time to wipe things off. :lol::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6690779)
Great job!

Thanks rusty. Like a lot of guys, the encouragement and comments really help with the motivation.:metal:

Here's what I did today. Filling unneeded holes in the firewall. I still have 3 or 4 more but good progress for the afternoon.

truckswede 05-25-2014 05:10 AM

Hi, hope you don't mind a newbie sticking his head in here. You claim not to be a welder, but the pictures of your patchwork tell a different story. You do very nice work! And to think you originally got the truck for 675 bucks!
You've come a long way since then though, and when finished, you will have a great piece of american history to enjoy for many years to come!
And your new Silverado hauler is an absolute beast, it will serve you well on your upcoming road trips. Just wanted to say i'm following your great work and enjoying every step of it.

McMurphy 05-25-2014 02:53 PM

Your progress looks great !

I will be swinging thru Portland this August, would sure like to grab a cup of coffee with you, if you are up to talking shop... :metal:

pdxhall 05-26-2014 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckswede (Post 6692130)
Hi, hope you don't mind a newbie sticking his head in here. You claim not to be a welder, but the pictures of your patchwork tell a different story. You do very nice work! And to think you originally got the truck for 675 bucks!
You've come a long way since then though, and when finished, you will have a great piece of american history to enjoy for many years to come!
And your new Silverado hauler is an absolute beast, it will serve you well on your upcoming road trips. Just wanted to say i'm following your great work and enjoying every step of it.

Thanks for looking in, man. I'm trying to get this truck close enough to done that I will be able to put it away for awhile while we do some traveling next year. It's nice to be putting stuff back together rather than just cleaning and prepping. I still have plenty of that, too, but the drivetrain is almost done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6692538)
Your progress looks great !

I will be swinging thru Portland this August, would sure like to grab a cup of coffee with you, if you are up to talking shop... :metal:

You are certainly welcome to stop by anytime. I hope we can get together and share some stories.

Average Joe 05-27-2014 07:39 PM

I just stumbled across your build. Great job! You definitely do quality work.

pdxhall 05-31-2014 05:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
After having to stop and make a trip to Jone's Welding for another bottle of gas, I got the rest of the unneeded holes welded up, ground down, and a couple of coats of epoxy primer laid down. A little bit a body work and primer and it should be good to go.

Bomp 05-31-2014 10:48 AM

Looking really good

pdxhall 06-02-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6700530)
Looking really good

Thanks, Greg. I'm getting close to putting the cab back on the chassis to start fitting up body parts.

pdxhall 06-07-2014 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I worked on the firewall some more these last days off. Still some more to do but it's getting close.

bj383ss 06-07-2014 08:22 AM

Looks great man. What holes did you fill? I plan on filling the clutch rod hole and think there are two more that are unused.

Bret

pdxhall 06-07-2014 10:42 PM

I closed up the clutch hole, the 1" hole on the right side of the upper tunnel, and I welded up the manual choke hole and all the holes for the inner firewall pad. I also smoothed out all of the spot weld indentations. I'm not going for a "hide all your wiring and hoses" look. I just wanted to clean things up a little.

mjh1965 06-08-2014 02:04 AM

Hi nice build and good detailed pictures going to keep an eye on this one . You are making good progress

Martin
My long bed 65 build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614

pdxhall 06-22-2014 01:31 AM

Just a quick update. I took a weekend off and went camping out to the coast so that took a bite out of my progress but it was a much needed break and the weather was fantastic. The last few days I pretty much finished all the priming and patching on the firewall. I also picked up a tilt steering column from a floor shift '70 Camaro. The length and shaft diameter are exactly the same as my stock column. I will need to cut off the Camaro firewall mount that is permanantly attached to the column but that's no big deal and then the stock mount will work with no other modification. The dash mount will need a little tweaking but should work out great. I am going to do a little overhaul and clean up but it's a tight column. I would have preferred a column without the key but I've got a plan for the setup. I also ordered a new Champion 3 row aluminum radiator and a new aluminum trans pan. I wanted a drain plug in the pan that the stock pan doesn't have. I thought about just adding a drain plug but I liked the idea of an aluminum, finned pan for additional cooling. And it adds some bling :metal: Once I get the pan and radiator I can start doing cooling lines,
trans cooler, electric fan, TV cable, and speedometer cable.
I'm interested in what others have used for an electric fan. I posted the question in the general forum but if anybody wants to chime in with their opinions or advice I'm open to hearing from you. I'm in my work week now so I'll post up some pics in a few days.

mark 66 06-22-2014 06:17 AM

Truck is coming along nice. as far as a fan. look at a mark 8 Lincoln next time you go to the junk yard. I was kicking it around last time I needed a fan. ended up buying complete rad with fan kit.mark 8 fan at the time was supposed to be a good used alternative.