The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project '66 Dirtrod: K-30 Extended Cab (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=340792)

clemdaddy 01-15-2013 03:13 PM

Re: Project '66 Dirtrod: K-30 Extended Cab

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 5798908)
Bring it!

My son and I have been talking that it would be cool to have a meet and greet here...maybe after we get settled in a bit.

now thats what i'm talking about...keep us posted, love to see that shop in person.

Dieselwrencher 01-15-2013 05:50 PM

Holly cow, congrats on your guys's new place! That is totally awesome! I'd love to have those 2 shops! The truck is looking killer, love the burb too!

3/4ton Randy 01-18-2013 01:01 PM

Guys, that truck is awesome! You have been giving me a ton of ideas... I have a 66 GMC 3/4 ton 2wd. I would like to change from coil springs to leaf springs in the front with a solid axle, (I don't need 4wd). I like the lifted look, but can't find anything aftermarket that fits my vehicle. But if I copy your leaf spring shackles... What do you guys think, or do you know of something aftermarket I have missed?

Strodder 01-20-2013 12:20 PM

Meet & Greet would be great. You sure have the place for it. Love the man cave. :metal:

66-PMD-GMC 01-20-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5830246)
Meet & Greet would be great. You sure have the place for it. Love the man cave. :metal:

OK, Dennis...
You me and anyone we can find should do our own "cruise" to RockTonka's place... :metal:
Get about 15-20 60-66 trucks on the 40 to their place....
That would be cool ;)
Kinda like a Hot Rod Power Tour..
We could call it the 60-66 Growler Tour...
:5150:

oklahomaduner 02-25-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 5830300)
OK, Dennis...
You me and anyone we can find should do our own "cruise" to RockTonka's place... :metal:
Get about 15-20 60-66 trucks on the 40 to their place....
That would be cool ;)
Kinda like a Hot Rod Power Tour..
We could call it the 60-66 Growler Tour...

^^^ I LKE IT!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

oklahomaduner 02-25-2013 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not much has been done lately, we've been working on dad's trucks more than mine...

In the quest for parts for my dads '58 I spent 3 hours walking through a local yard in the rain/sleet through the mud, as I was about to give up I get the urge to walk to the far end of the yard. (3/4 mile of mud) And I see this truck, almost completely rust free, good doors, solid cab, solid inner and outer fenders, I was in shock... Haha but I pulled the hood, grill, and emblems.

Now I have a problem, I can't decide which hood to use!! What do you guys think??

oklahomaduner 02-25-2013 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Old hood
Posted via Mobile Device

oklahomaduner 02-25-2013 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New hood
Posted via Mobile Device

Dub_X 02-25-2013 10:26 PM

I would go with the blue GMC hood, but I'm partial to 64/65/66. :lol: It just depends on which hood you think makes the truck look better. They both look good, but like I said, I'm partial to 64, 65 and 66 so I'd run the blue one. Lol

Mr Pops 02-25-2013 11:21 PM

I like both, but since your truck is huge and mean looking, I think the 60 hood would suit it better, even though it's not correct to the cab..
For your truck I would use the 1960 hood with the 1960 C60 grill to go with it.

Dieselwrencher 02-25-2013 11:41 PM

I'd go with the green hood, and I'd also go back and try to get the rest of the body from that thing. That's crazy it's crusher bait!

88Lt1wagon 02-25-2013 11:43 PM

I like the eyebrow hoods, myself
Posted via Mobile Device

Tazfink 02-26-2013 12:27 AM

I have always been curious how the fenders of the big trucks would look like on a big 4x4 like yours. I think the big tires would look sweet fillimg up the flares . Maybe one of the photoshop gurus could take the cab and fenders you found and graft it onto your chassis.
Posted via Mobile Device

jonzcustomshop 02-26-2013 04:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I would go with the 60 chev hood, I painted the 61 parklight housings in mine to kind of get the center to "float".

are you goiong to cut down the big 60 grille and use it?

shame that big 60 went down, looks like og paint, and if the pass side is half as nice looking as the drivers.....it would have been a perfect candidate for a conversion like the yellow one.
also a couple 4x4's with the big truck front clip...both in dire need of having the big flares grafted to thier rear wheelwells too though...I think the measurement for the original 9.00 20's on the big trucks is a 44 inch diameter..

Desert.Chevy 02-26-2013 06:39 AM

The 60 looks good on your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dino Driver 02-26-2013 11:26 AM

I love the double hump hood. I'd love to get ahold of the doors on that truck too...mine are in bad shape.

RANDY COX 02-26-2013 08:56 PM

Me actually I think the 60 hood goes better with the GMC grill,But what do I know,You've
changed everything else so why not.It's your build so BUILD it LIKE YOU want it.All of Yalls
Projects Rock..

Jmorales3181 02-26-2013 10:29 PM

I like the green hood myself...they are kind of growing on me. With all the work you are doing I think you should go back and grab those fenders too!
Posted via Mobile Device

62 short step 02-26-2013 10:43 PM

60 hood for sure!! A little biased though, lol.

Walts_restoration 02-26-2013 10:45 PM

60 hood, and do some pressed inserts like your bumper.

66-PMD-GMC 02-26-2013 11:16 PM

The fenders, running boards hood and grill off that donor flat bed will give the truck a more "powerful" stance. The hood alone makes the front end look to busy..
The GMC hood looks better with the GMC grill...... IMHO

argonaut 02-28-2013 11:24 AM

The 60 hood definitely looks better with your early style double hump dash and the double lights grill.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 GMC Truckin 02-28-2013 10:38 PM

Lookin fantastic! Definitely inspirational stuff here! I'll chime in and say that I like the 60 hood with GMC grille, but think you should go back and get the flared fenders for the front to make it a true HD GMC!;)
Posted via Mobile Device

vk_chevy 03-05-2013 01:52 AM

perhaps I am late to the party but I say use the old hood. don't get me wrong I like the green hood as well but the old one seems to "fit" your truck better

1enick72 03-06-2013 12:27 AM

I normally like the newer style hoods but that old double hump looks pretty mean with your set up.

clemdaddy 03-06-2013 08:52 AM

soooo... which hood is it going to be?

personally i like the 64-66 hood.
the double hump hood is cool but too curvy to punch louvers.

just sayin', louvers on the hood of that truck would seem natural. 2 cents...

RockTonka 03-06-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5930482)
soooo... which hood is it going to be?

personally i like the 64-66 hood.
the double hump hood is cool but too curvy to punch louvers.

just sayin', louvers on the hood of that truck would seem natural. 2 cents...

He's been saying it's going to be the 60 hood...we've had it sitting on there and it would probably look funny to us now if it wasn't there :lol:

But, I like louvers ;)...do you know somebody that'll punch louvers (nicely)?

There's no reason we can't have two hoods :metal::lol:

1963c-10 03-06-2013 08:39 PM

i like the 60 hood on it
Posted via Mobile Device

clemdaddy 03-07-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 5931650)
He's been saying it's going to be the 60 hood...we've had it sitting on there and it would probably look funny to us now if it wasn't there :lol:

But, I like louvers ;)...do you know somebody that'll punch louvers (nicely)?

There's no reason we can't have two hoods :metal::lol:

yeah i know a guy in ozark missouri. hes very good at it and charges a buck a punch, or at least that was the price when he did work for me 6-8 years ago.

oklahomaduner 04-29-2013 03:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well guys its been awhile with no updates so ill throw one up!

After having the '60 hood on for so long, it's gonna be the one that stays. It just gives the truck that massive look that I've been going for.

Still inching slowly forward to working on the cab mounts but just haven't done it yet.

But I did get a HUGE surprise for my birthday. After selling my 38" tires I had on her, I've just had some blown out trailer spares to roll around on. But after dreaming of finding some new wheels, my parents had these wheels made for me. They are 20" fuel wheels that were sent to OMF who did an awesome job at putting beadlock rings on them!!
Posted via Mobile Device

C@rnut001 04-29-2013 11:54 AM

Wow, those wheels are going to look amazing on your truck. Keep it up and thanks for the update. Good luck on getting more finished on her!

Dinos63 04-29-2013 12:27 PM

very cool !! and your parents are too

Luther Grimace 05-08-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5913193)
I'd go with the green hood, and I'd also go back and try to get the rest of the body from that thing. That's crazy it's crusher bait!

I agree! You and your Dad need to get a wrecker after that truck now that it is dry. That truck looks too nice to be in the wrecking yard. Find some school bus axles to put under it and slam it on some air bags! :)

BOXER957 09-23-2013 06:49 AM

Holey....truck!? I have to say the truck is PHENOMINAL!!! So are your parents! I know I'm a little old, but are they adopting?.....Can I just come live there? I'll put a bed in a corner somewhere and you'll never know I'm there! Seriously, Incredible craftsmanship! I wish I had the know how to stretch my cabs. I'm 6'4" and I have a 46 project that I feel like a frog in, my knees are rubbing my ears. The 66 isn't quite so bad. Let's have an update on yours, I was halfway through reading your build and was out in my shop with a tape measure and sharpie....and now that my 2 wheel drive frame is done you have me thinking of going to 4......update,update

blazer-k5 10-20-2013 07:36 PM

Dang man you were being a little humble I wasnt expecting all of that whew. Awesome build man.

A.T. RockDriller 10-29-2013 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 5915470)
The fenders, running boards hood and grill off that donor flat bed will give the truck a more "powerful" stance. The hood alone makes the front end look to busy..
The GMC hood looks better with the GMC grill...... IMHO

What Chris says is right,...
However....I've got the wider flares on my '66 C4000 and have eyeballed the whole thing along side my '63....and I can say....IMO.....It would look better to use the Chev C-50 fenders.....a little narrower flare, and then loose the running boards and extension off the back of the fender and then play with the hood and grill..
But I also have a feelin that if ya had it set up as a dually and had done some fender work in the rear....then the wider fenders, like the ones on your doner truck and my sixty-six 4000 would more'n likely look jest slicker'n $hit, running boards and all.
Maybe.

This one isn't too hard to look at, I'm thinkin..
A fella might just wish he had those running boards come Prom Night.

A.T. RockDriller 10-29-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oklahomaduner (Post 6040676)
Well guys its been awhile with no updates so ill throw one up!

After having the '60 hood on for so long, it's gonna be the one that stays. It just gives the truck that massive look that I've been going for.

Still inching slowly forward to working on the cab mounts but just haven't done it yet.

But I did get a HUGE surprise for my birthday. After selling my 38" tires I had on her, I've just had some blown out trailer spares to roll around on. But after dreaming of finding some new wheels, my parents had these wheels made for me. They are 20" fuel wheels that were sent to OMF who did an awesome job at putting beadlock rings on them!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I gotta agree with Dino:
R-Tonka Rocks...I know you guys are proud of each other, ..it shows in yer work.
Your whole family is obviously outstanding
Your rig is coming right along. Looks great.
What are you thinkin as far as tires are concerned...?

We wouldn't mind if you posted a few more progress reports.

oklahomaduner 11-12-2013 02:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Things have still been slow guys. I dig all the comments and ideas and it's really making me rethink a few of my plans. When I get home on the weekends I've been sitting out in the shop just staring and thinking about different looks I could go with, what colors, how we are going to do steps, and all sorts of stuff like that. Now that the work getting the shop into shape is pretty much done, and the Burb is running solid my dad and I are trying to jump back into our main projects. As far as my truck goes I'm still stuck in the stage of figuring out the exact angle and placement of the cab. I did get a pretty nice score thanks to a fellow Oklahoma Member on here!! I think we are changing her over to a fleet... What are y'all's thoughts??

oklahomaduner 11-12-2013 02:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 6041214)
very cool !! and your parents are too

Thanks Dino! They are the best parents I've ever had...:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOXER957 (Post 6281655)
Holey....truck!? I have to say the truck is PHENOMINAL!!! So are your parents! I know I'm a little old, but are they adopting?.....Can I just come live there? I'll put a bed in a corner somewhere and you'll never know I'm there! Seriously, Incredible craftsmanship! I wish I had the know how to stretch my cabs. I'm 6'4" and I have a 46 project that I feel like a frog in, my knees are rubbing my ears. The 66 isn't quite so bad. Let's have an update on yours, I was halfway through reading your build and was out in my shop with a tape measure and sharpie....and now that my 2 wheel drive frame is done you have me thinking of going to 4......update,update

I think I can find an air mattress laying around here somewhere! But yea, the ext. cab will give us enough room to push the seats back and stretch out a bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.T. RockDriller (Post 6337783)
I gotta agree with Dino:
R-Tonka Rocks...I know you guys are proud of each other, ..it shows in yer work.
Your whole family is obviously outstanding
Your rig is coming right along. Looks great.
What are you thinkin as far as tires are concerned...?

We wouldn't mind if you posted a few more progress reports.

Thanks, and yea it's a blast being able to work with my dad and slowly learn the stuff that he learned over the years. It's nice to have someone to butt heads with and argue about how something should be done. That way when we finally figure it out, it turns out to be a much better/cooler part/idea.

As far as tires and wheels go, things never stay the same. I had the 20" beadlocks but I ended up needing those on my daily driver so I have my old DD tires/wheels on as rollers now. But I am leaning towards 22.5 8-lug beadlocks with a set of semi truck "Super Single" on/off road tires of some sort similar to the ones found on the front of concrete trucks. They will probably be about a 44x17.5 R22.5