The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project '64 Cheapskate (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=446527)

rusty76 09-01-2013 11:19 AM

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

Kool beans about the car. I've always loved that model of Camaro. Second gens have a soft spot for me.

chevyrestoguy 09-02-2013 10:27 AM

The engine and trans are now installed, so I've got a lot of things I can do. When I decided to go with a 700r4, that presented a few issues, namely the driveshafts. The cost of having a driveshaft made or modifying an existing one can be spendy, and because I was trying to use parts that I already had, I had to break out the tape measure and find ones that would work. Between me and all of my friends, we have about 50 spare driveshafts and 90% of them are 1-piece. Unfortunately, all of the 1-piece shafts we had were either too long or too short. After a bit of careful measuring, I determined that the front driveshaft from the '79 Suburban would work. The Suburban was a 454/th400, and the 700r4 is slightly shorter by about 1.5", so I ordered a transmission yoke with an 1.5" longer total length just to be sure that I had good spline engagement. My '64 was a C-20, which has the superior "bell-style" heavy-duty carrier bearing, so I ordered a new one and it pressed right on to the Suburban shaft. Once I tried to put it all in, I realized that there was no way to install it due to the length of the shaft, the size of the carrier bearing, and the distance I had between the tailshaft of the transmission and the trailing arm crossmember. I tried every combination, and nothing worked.
So, I fired up the cutoff wheel and took out a 2" section of the crossmember, just enough to where I could get the slip spline section of the driveshaft through. I already have the shaft in place and resting on the carrier bearing mount in this picture.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps573c188c.jpg

I didn't want to leave a 2" gap in the crossmember because it's a part that carries a lot of load and I didn't want to create issues later with it cracking, so I built a reinforcement plate. Notice that I saved the cut-out piece...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps7e7ed3e7.jpg

I popped the cut section back in place and drilled a hole in the center
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps6d6aeb19.jpg

I bolted everything back in place with Grade 8 fine-thread bolts and NyLocks. The fasteners on the ends are actually 2.75" sections of Grade 8 All-Thread. I had to do this for a few reasons. First, all bolts over 1.75" long have a thick section of the shank that's unthreaded, and I needed threads all the way through. Second, the long attach bolts of the carrier bearing bracket were also used as a method to hang the exhaust, but i didn't like that the carrrier bearing would have rubber somewhere in the mounting assembly. The stud eliminated that by having a double nut up on top, secured by a nut underneath, with the remaining stud exposed. Now, the exhaust could hang from the stud and not be a main part of the carrier bearing attach fasteners. You can see that the carrier bearing attach bolts to the bracket are loose. I am waiting until I get the rear shaft in and aligned before I snug those down.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psc2e71223.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps31309947.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1ca13d7d.jpg

I also bolted up the headers and attached the collectors, so the exhaust is essentially finished.

Next step, final fit of the inner fenders. core support, and radiator. I have a bad feeling that I am going to have to do a bunch of surgery on the shroud to make it work. With the frame "Z", and the serpentine belt set-up, it's going to require some creative thinking. It HAS to look factory when it's all done! I have a buddy who thinks that he's Mr Chevy, and I want to disguise all of the frame mods. When I told him I was lowering the front 5", the first thing he said was "It's too low, the lower control arms will hit on everything". That's true, but after the 2" Z, I have a ton of ground clearance. I want him to look underneath mine and scratch his head and try to figure out how I got mine so low and still have ground clearance. So, this is why I have spent so much time on the inner fenders and everything else that bolts to them. That's one of the reasons why all of the frame and everything that bolts to it is painted chassis black, so it'll disguise all of the surgery. I want to fool a lot of people. There's a bunch of work on this truck that I have taken great pains to hide or disguise. I like doing that kind of stuff.

Low Elco 09-02-2013 11:47 AM

Install looks clean! Comin' up on the test-fire!

TommyDuncan 09-02-2013 02:30 PM

Nice work! It looks like you are getting close...

...unless there is wiring, plumbing or anything else like that to be done. Then it might look "almost done" for a while!

I finally got my 62 GMC home. Other than a mediocre paint job it is so nice I might not do anything to it but clean it up and drive it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Slammed66 09-02-2013 02:35 PM

Attention to detail is fantastic. Awsome build .
Posted via Mobile Device

rusty76 09-03-2013 08:10 PM

Looks kool to me.

Jmorales3181 09-03-2013 08:47 PM

Great work man! Can't wait to see it finished:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

duallyjams 09-04-2013 08:13 PM

I'm sure you'll think of something.

wraprail 09-06-2013 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5609135)
Now, once you're satisfied with the cuts, it's time to start stitching it all back together. The frame is going to be plated with 3/16ths steel plate on both sides of the frame rails, but the frame needed to be joined first. The cut gaps were measured, and small intersection plates were welded in place.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps87ed96c7.jpg

After that, the boxing plates were cut and welded in place. Here is the passenger side outside plate. There is another place just like this welded to the inside of the frame rail as well. So, if you're keeping score, there's THREE pieces of 3/16's plate (two plates and the original frame) at every area where the frame was cut.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1d9f5095.jpg

I'm a little behind sorry bout that. Great build. Love the early trucks. Just curious why you didn't just cut the frame at an angle, say like 15 or so degrees? You wouldn't need to add material to the frame like you did.

chevyrestoguy 09-06-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wraprail (Post 6256104)
I'm a little behind sorry bout that. Great build. Love the early trucks. Just curious why you didn't just cut the frame at an angle, say like 15 or so degrees? You wouldn't need to add material to the frame like you did.

Actually, that's the way I wanted to do it, because I felt that it would have served two purposes. I could get the 2" up and move the frame 1" forward at the same time. In the end, we went with cutting straight and triple-walling the frame because it was absolutely imperative that the core support mounts and motor mount locations reamain in the stock locations, and at the time, it seemed to be the easier way. It gets a little weird around the steering box, and you have to be careful how you address that area, especially if you have one of the power steering adapter plates. In the end, everything lined up perfectly, and we even lowered the engine mount stands 2" so we wouldn't have to rework the cab floor and not have any valve cover clearance issues at the brake booster and the heater box. And it'll still look stock when you open the hood, especially after I sectioned the bottoms of the inner fenders and reattached the stock rolled lips.

theastronaut 09-22-2013 04:59 PM

Man I love this build! All the little details are perfect! I love the inner fender bottoms that are reshaped! I'd seen the vac gauge mod before when searching and somehow didn't catch that it was in a build thread. I like how you redid the brake pedal and seat placement, I don't like where any of that stuff was from the factory. The little details inside the A/C box are awesome, and making all the cables and controls work like you did takes a good bit of time and thought to get right.

I'd take this truck over the typical shiny custom any day just because of all the little details that are "right". So many of the "bling builds" are only surface deep and the little stuff is forgotten... I think part of the reason those type builds aren't driven is that they're not enjoyable when they are driven, because they were just thrown together from "cool" parts! You will have a true driver that is a blast to drive because everything has been designed to work in harmony.

Awesome work, and I can't wait to see more!

chevyrestoguy 09-22-2013 07:30 PM

John-
I am so glad that you finally visited my thread. I've posted on your threads in the past that I absolutely dig the work you do, so your compliment means a lot to me. I hold you in high regard because you always think outside the box and your attention to detail is impeccable.

Quote:

I'd take this truck over the typical shiny custom any day just because of all the little details that are "right". So many of the "bling builds" are only surface deep and the little stuff is forgotten... I think part of the reason those type builds aren't driven is that they're not enjoyable when they are driven, because they were just thrown together from "cool" parts! You will have a true driver that is a blast to drive because everything has been designed to work in harmony.
I agree with this statement 100%. I want to DRIVE my stuff, not keep it in a padded cell and never bring it out. What's the fun in that? I want a vehicle that looks right, sits right, sounds right, feels right, and when I get caught out in the rain, I won't freak out about it. I'll just kick on the wipers, turn on the defrost, and crank up the tunes.

I had big plans to make my '55 a super-sanitary, detailed to the hilt show stopper. After a bunch of thought, I've had a change of heart because I know that I could never fully enjoy the truck if I did that. I have a feeling that the '55 will probably get sold before I ever finish it.

chevyrestoguy 09-22-2013 07:58 PM

Well, tomorrow is a big milestone birthday for me, so the wife threw a surprise party for me last night, with a big help from Kustombrad. We had a great dinner, had a bunch of friends show up from all over, and I got some great gifts.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psc6bab61c.jpg
With the help from Brad, Lynn's gift to me was the complete set of parts I needed to rebuilt the steering on the '64. All new Moog stuff, which I was eyeing anyway. I wondered if the other people around us thought I was weird when I started hooting and hollering as I was pulling out steering parts in a nice Italian restaurant. Brad's gift was a set of MSD wires, which I really needed. I had almost bought that same set a few weeks ago, but I decided to hold off. Good thing, huh!

A very good friend, Tom Clark, showed up and I was surprised to see him. He lives a good distance away, and I would have never expected him. He's one of Brad's pinstriper buddies, and he made me a special sign to signify my birthday
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps77c2627a.jpg

Check out the wrapping paper he put it in. He said that he spent a couple of minutes with a Sharpie to make it look cool.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psc60c966a.jpg

I decided to take a break on the truck this weekend and hang out with the wife, but very soon you will start seeing a lot of pictures on this thread. I have been doing a lot of work, but I'm holding off until I can finish each little project before I post up anything.

A big thanks to Lynn and Brad for making my birthday a memorable one, and for all of my friends for sharing it with us!!

duallyjams 09-22-2013 09:41 PM

Happy B-day and welcome to 50 plus club.

likaroc13 09-22-2013 10:08 PM

Happy Birthday! Looks like you got some good stuff for the truck. We put new Moog steering/suspension parts on mine too. Love the pinstriping as well, & look forward to seeing your progress pics! :bowtie:

TommyDuncan 09-23-2013 12:11 AM

Happy birthday! Those are the gifts you will remember years from now when you are driving that truck down the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 09-23-2013 12:22 AM

Happy Birthday! Great Presents, hope they get put to good use soon! Glad it was a good day for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

kustombrad 09-23-2013 09:34 AM

Happy BDay dude!
Posted via Mobile Device

theastronaut 09-23-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6281002)
John-
I am so glad that you finally visited my thread. I've posted on your threads in the past that I absolutely dig the work you do, so your compliment means a lot to me. I hold you in high regard because you always think outside the box and your attention to detail is impeccable.

I agree with this statement 100%. I want to DRIVE my stuff, not keep it in a padded cell and never bring it out. What's the fun in that? I want a vehicle that looks right, sits right, sounds right, feels right, and when I get caught out in the rain, I won't freak out about it. I'll just kick on the wipers, turn on the defrost, and crank up the tunes.

I had big plans to make my '55 a super-sanitary, detailed to the hilt show stopper. After a bunch of thought, I've had a change of heart because I know that I could never fully enjoy the truck if I did that. I have a feeling that the '55 will probably get sold before I ever finish it.

Yeah I thought about painting 'Locks, doing all the panel gaps/alignment like I did the blue '65 but that would take the fun out of driving it. I can't thrash it hard on an autocross course if I'm worried about scuffing against a cone! Not sure about me thinking "out of the box", more like I don't know what I'm doing so I just make something up that works. Going from old VW's to Chevy trucks was a big jump so I don't have any experience with V8/ladder frame chassis design/mods to rely on.

Sounds like you had an awesome birthday, with I got truck parts like that!

pdxhall 09-24-2013 12:35 AM

Happy Birthday, man! The truck's coming along nicely. I'll bet you're itchin' to get that stuff installed. :wave::two:

McMurphy 09-24-2013 10:20 PM

Happy 50th !!
I just rolled the half century mark this month as well (on the 9th) !!

Nice score on the front end parts !

65Gregg 09-24-2013 10:34 PM

Happy birthday to you bunch of kids.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dinos63 09-25-2013 11:54 PM

nice work and happy-b-day kat!

gofastnut 09-28-2013 03:23 PM

Happy Birthday!! I honked and waved as I drove through (yeah, sure) with my wife on our way to So Lake Tahoe to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

Bomp 09-28-2013 03:37 PM

Happy B-Day!!!

rusty76 09-28-2013 06:47 PM

Happy Birthday Dude.

chevyrestoguy 09-28-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6281244)
Happy B-day and welcome to 50 plus club.

Thanks! I'm proud to join this elite fraternity!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6281307)
Happy Birthday! Looks like you got some good stuff for the truck. We put new Moog steering/suspension parts on mine too. Love the pinstriping as well, & look forward to seeing your progress pics! :bowtie:

Thanks! I SCORED on the gifts, huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyDuncan (Post 6281495)
Happy birthday! Those are the gifts you will remember years from now when you are driving that truck down the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Tommy!. You know, I thought that exact same thing today when I laid everything out on the bench.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6281511)
Happy Birthday! Great Presents, hope they get put to good use soon! Glad it was a good day for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Chip! It was a good day, especially when I got to share it with my awesome wife and my close friends. The parts are being taped up for primer as we speak so I can get them painted and installed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustombrad (Post 6281757)
Happy BDay dude!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Old Man!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 6282415)
Sounds like you had an awesome birthday, with I got truck parts like that!

Thanks, John!! I just put them in the mail heading your way so you can put one of your killer paint jobs on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6283077)
Happy Birthday, man! The truck's coming along nicely. I'll bet you're itchin' to get that stuff installed. :wave::two:

Thanks! Man, "itchin" doesn't even close to describing how bad I want to get this thing done. For lack of a better word, I'm "dying" to get it finished!

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6284612)
Happy 50th !!
I just rolled the half century mark this month as well (on the 9th) !!
Nice score on the front end parts !

Well, Happy Birthday to you too, sir!! I never realized how many people I know who have birthdays in September.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Gregg (Post 6284637)
Happy birthday to you bunch of kids.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Greg!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 6286216)
nice work and happy-b-day kat!

Thanks, Dino! I'm hoping to make it out to Phx in November for the party and the Goodguys show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gofastnut (Post 6290282)
Happy Birthday!! I honked and waved as I drove through (yeah, sure) with my wife on our way to So Lake Tahoe to celebrate our 15th anniversary.

You honked and waved? You should have dropped by. I would have put you to work and the wives would have headed to the mall and wreaked havoc on our checking accounts.
Happy 15th Anniversary!! 15 years, huh? You're way ahead of the average, my friend. Good Job! The wife and I are going to celebrate the Big 2-5 coming up soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6290293)
Happy B-Day!!!

Thanks, Bomp!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6290476)
Happy Birthday Dude.

Thanks, Rusty!!

rusty76 10-19-2013 03:31 PM

Must've been a long birthday.......where you at? Lol.

chevyrestoguy 10-20-2013 10:44 AM

I went on vacation and took a trip back to Louisville for 5 days to visit my family, and I've been at the California Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield for the last few days. It was a great vacation, and with my stressful work schedule, I really needed it. I'll be a little bummed out to go back to work tomorrow and get thrown back into the fire, but I'll get over it.

In the meantime, there has been progress on the '64. I've been doing body work on the inner fenders, so all I have to show for it is a lot of body filler dust. The A/C condenser has been fitted and drilled up, all of the A/C lines on the forward side of the core support are cut and crimped. and now it's ready to blow back apart and get painted chassis black so I can hide all of the hard work I did.

Low Elco 10-21-2013 08:44 AM

Bangshift said the Cacklefest was epic! Was Brad there pushin'? Glad you got some time off.

chevyrestoguy 10-21-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6325591)
Bangshift said the Cacklefest was epic! Was Brad there pushin'? Glad you got some time off.

Chip-
The Cacklefest was awesome! Brad was using the '49 to push the Tocco, Harper, and Garten Fuel Altered again this year. We went to the tent to go get our wristbands for the Cacklefest, and the lady running the booth asked Brad if he could possibly push TWO cars! Of course, he said yes. So, that meant that we were the first car to light off, kicking off the event. As soon as Roger lit off the Altered, we hauled butt down to the end of the track to get the second car, the Schrank Brother's 1961 record holding B/Fuel dragster. It set the E.T and Mph records in 1961 with an 8.65 @ 183 mph, with a blown 276 cubic inch DeSoto(!) Hemi on nitro. That record stood for two years. That was one bad hot rod in it's day, and when that little sucker lit off, I was blown away at how nasty it sounded. The event was great. The weather was perfect, and it was a great time seeing old friends and making new ones at the same time.

Dude, you have got to come here one day and go with us. It's a blast!

Low Elco 10-21-2013 03:34 PM

Sounds like a great time. It's on the bucket list. Batting lead off and pushing 2 cars, that's awesome!

rusty76 10-27-2013 07:59 PM

Any updates on the truck dude?

chevyrestoguy 10-28-2013 10:51 AM

I was working on my son's truck for a good part of the weekend, but I was able to etch-prime the core support and battery tray and did some body filler work on the inner fenders, which are now nearly complete. I would like to get those parts in primer this weekend, and if that goes well, get them wet-sanded and ready for chassis black.

This week, every night after work, I plan on doing some prep work on the condenser, receiver/dryer brackets, and the A/C lines and get them ready for primer. The fan shroud still needs to be wet-sanded with 400 grit and prepped for primer. As soon as the inner fenders and core support are back on, it'll open up a bunch of work that can be done.

Low Elco 10-28-2013 11:09 AM

Glad you're still on it. You and Brad have to Convoy to the Reunion next year!

rusty76 10-28-2013 05:05 PM

Kool just checking on ya.

chevyrestoguy 10-29-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6336525)
Glad you're still on it. You and Brad have to Convoy to the Reunion next year!

That's the plan! We'll be rolling in tandem, with our push bars in the bed. Now, all you have to do is catch a cheapie Southwest flight to Ontario and go with us!

Dinos63 10-29-2013 09:31 AM

lil happy b-day kat!

Low Elco 10-29-2013 10:10 AM

Man, that sounds fun. I'll have to get to work!

chevyrestoguy 11-21-2013 07:47 AM

It's been awhile, but that does not mean that I haven't been bustin' on the '64. As a matter of fact, I have been doing a lot of work, but it just wasn't exciting enough to post up pictures. Most of what I was doing was bodywork on the inner fenders and prepping the under-hood parts for paint. Man, I have a real respect for the guys who do bodywork for a living.

If you remember, I took out a 2" lower section of the inner fenders to compensate for the 2" Z we did on the chassis. It was important to me to have it all look factory, so that meant that I had to do some welding and bodywork. Here's a shot of the driver's inner fender right before we primed it.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps3bfc6862.jpg
And the passenger side:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psde1a33ca.jpg
So after a bunch of sanding and prep work, the parts were ready for paint. Brad offered to do the spraying, and another buddy, Ryan, offered up the use of his shop. A big thanks to Brad and Ryan for doing this!
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps3bb82e5c.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps88034b13.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps38854ec1.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psa9c16b91.jpg

The funny part of this is that the paint we used was a Frankenstein mix of a couple of black enamels and it turned out perfect. I'm a stickler for chassis black, and it has to be the right sheen to look "right", and this batch has the perfect eggshell sheen I was looking for. And to top it all off, instead of using the high-dollar Iwata spray gun, we used a $15.99 Harbor Freight special and it worked incredibly well.

The next step is to assemble all of the stuff on the core support and start installing parts! More pics to come...