The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Brave or crazy? crewcab build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=557019)

Southern Shaker 06-02-2013 08:37 PM

Re: Brave or crazy? crewcab build

Ey oily thats a Sexy truck i mean DAM! haha i love it man cant wait to see the final :)

mjensen 06-04-2013 11:25 PM

Well AAALRIGHTYTHEN! That looks awesome!:metal:

pickup67man 06-05-2013 11:30 PM

Just found this tonight. Was hoping from the beginning the peer pressure for a fourth door was going to be too much to resist. I like how you did it.
Posted via Mobile Device

oilyrag80 06-06-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Shaker (Post 6104161)
Ey oily thats a Sexy truck i mean DAM! haha i love it man cant wait to see the final :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 6107978)
Well AAALRIGHTYTHEN! That looks awesome!:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickup67man (Post 6109877)
Just found this tonight. Was hoping from the beginning the peer pressure for a fourth door was going to be too much to resist. I like how you did it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow thanks guys!

Bomp 06-07-2013 11:03 AM

I saw this build when I first joined.
Didn't know how to keep tabs on it to follow along.
Your build (along with many other great builds here) inspired me to get started on my build and now I know how to keep track of your build now.
Sub'd

BB72CHEVKT 06-07-2013 12:32 PM

I don't know how I missed this one. The cab looks great. Any chance you kept the rear wheel wells? If so and you want to sell them let me know a price on shipping to 75701.

vegadesign 06-07-2013 04:06 PM

now thats what im talkin about!!! very nice!!

Dinos63 06-08-2013 10:53 AM

I haven't checked the thread in a while nice progress very cool truck

buckwild27 06-08-2013 12:47 PM

awesome job on the cab. if you want to do another cab like it i'll take one please.

oilyrag80 06-15-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 6112166)
I don't know how I missed this one. The cab looks great. Any chance you kept the rear wheel wells? If so and you want to sell them let me know a price on shipping to 75701.

sorry all the extra parts were sold already

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6112052)
I saw this build when I first joined.
Didn't know how to keep tabs on it to follow along.
Your build (along with many other great builds here) inspired me to get started on my build and now I know how to keep track of your build now.
Sub'd

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegadesign (Post 6112404)
now thats what im talkin about!!! very nice!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 6113521)
I haven't checked the thread in a while nice progress very cool truck

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckwild27 (Post 6113642)
awesome job on the cab. if you want to do another cab like it i'll take one please.

Thanks guys, not much progress to show been stuck working on other stuff and its 106 outside but thanks for looking!

oilyrag80 06-19-2013 10:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Feels like forever since i worked on my own truck but I managed to sneek in some time and I finished up the forth door rocker. It took me about 4.5 hours
to get the rocker done I used 2 new rockers to make this one. Still not welded in because I have to do cab corner first.

oilyrag80 06-19-2013 10:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few more

Rusbuilt 06-19-2013 10:41 PM

Looking good! And I feel ya on working on your own stuff. Its been a while for me too!

mcbassin 06-19-2013 11:08 PM

Very nice work! Keep the updates coming
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 06-20-2013 01:59 AM

Do the front and rear rocker line up enough to weld them together?
If not could you possibly add some metal to the front of the rear one and roll the front edge and gap them really close together?
I'm trying to figure out a way to make the transition between the two rockers clean.
Sitting here thinking about it perhaps you were thinking of trying to match the end of the rockers to the edge of each door, but since the gap is 1/2"(?) maybe it wouldn't look so good that way, I'm just thinking outloud here, sometimes having another set of eyes is helpfull and I know you have got to be thinking about this one a lot because I know I would be.
I'm just trying to offer a fresh perspective on it, but if I'm just being annoying you can tell me to shut up too :lol:

Xeen 06-20-2013 06:29 AM

I started thinking more about the rocker so I looked back at previous pictures and noticed that on the other side you made it one continuous rocker from front to back which is obviously ideal, so ignore my previous post.
Apparently a little more reading would have prevented the previous post, sometimes my in my eagerness to help I ignore important things, character flaw I suppose.

67cheby 06-20-2013 10:53 AM

I missed a few updates but man you are doing a great job !

vegadesign 06-20-2013 11:04 AM

looks like its almost time to buy stock in bondo lol

everything is looking awesome, alot of attention to detail

oilyrag80 06-20-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6132728)
Do the front and rear rocker line up enough to weld them together?
If not could you possibly add some metal to the front of the rear one and roll the front edge and gap them really close together?
I'm trying to figure out a way to make the transition between the two rockers clean.
Sitting here thinking about it perhaps you were thinking of trying to match the end of the rockers to the edge of each door, but since the gap is 1/2"(?) maybe it wouldn't look so good that way, I'm just thinking outloud here, sometimes having another set of eyes is helpfull and I know you have got to be thinking about this one a lot because I know I would be.
I'm just trying to offer a fresh perspective on it, but if I'm just being annoying you can tell me to shut up too :lol:

Yea the plan is to make one continuous rocker front to back the space in the middle will be delt with after I weld it in. I still have some mods to do to the
rear of the front door rocker so when I do that they will tie in together just like the factory did on the passenger side.

oilyrag80 06-20-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegadesign (Post 6133084)
looks like its almost time to buy stock in bondo lol

everything is looking awesome, alot of attention to detail

Yes sir, this truck is big and its going to be alot of bodywork. But bodywork is everybodys favorite part of building a truck right?

oilyrag80 06-23-2013 10:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had a little time today so I started with the cab corner and didn't get very far
because it fit so bad I decided to try another brand, any suggestions?
So I moved on to the rocker I finished modifing the rear of the front rocker to match the pass side. Then I went ahead and fit and welded in the 4th door rocker.
Only thing left is fill the gap between the front and rear rocker.
So hopefully I can come up with a cab corner that fits half way decent by next weekend

oilyrag80 06-23-2013 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

Xeen 06-24-2013 03:36 AM

Tabco makes cab corners that actually fit like they are supposed to because they are direct fit replacements, there are two types of patch panels out there, slipon and direct fit, the majority of them are slipon which is why you almost always have to section them to make them fit if you are butt welding them in but they don't tell you that's what they are in the description, I think mostly because the reseller doesn't know.
Tabco for the win!

vegadesign 06-24-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilyrag80 (Post 6133879)
Yes sir, this truck is big and its going to be alot of bodywork. But bodywork is everybodys favorite part of building a truck right?

in the case of doing what your doing, then yes

doing body work on a classic car than a modern day car is two different things.
back then a car was a car not a piece of plastic and so called "sheetmetal" bodies

the sheet metal on our truck bodies is about the same thickness as todays trucks bumpers
so when you strike the body on your truck with a body hammer it will actually stay and not warp in another direction lol

oilyrag80 06-27-2013 10:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
this is the last pic of the rocker I promise! Got home early today and it was only 104 outside so i worked on the truck a little finished welding in the gap between
the front and rear rocker. Now im just waiting for my new cab corner to get here hopefuly it gets here before saturday.

Rusbuilt 06-27-2013 10:50 PM

Looking good sir!

Dieselwrencher 06-27-2013 10:59 PM

Very nice work on your rocker! It looks really nice. I used a pair of Tri-Plus cab corners on my last cab and it took a lot to get them to fit decent. I've always used the Tabco ones before and they fit really well.

oilyrag80 06-27-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6146146)
Very nice work on your rocker! It looks really nice. I used a pair of Tri-Plus cab corners on my last cab and it took a lot to get them to fit decent. I've always used the Tabco ones before and they fit really well.

The cab corners I have are some that my buddy has had floating around his shop for years they are dii brand and they are worthless.

oilyrag80 06-27-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6146132)
Looking good sir!

Thanks man!

Xeen 06-27-2013 11:32 PM

The rocker patch looks good, did you go ahead and buy the Tabco brand cab corner?

oilyrag80 06-27-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6146186)
The rocker patch looks good, did you go ahead and buy the Tabco brand cab corner?

I ordered one from a fellow boardmember that is in phoenix I bought all my other patch panels from him and they were top notch so Im hoping the same for the cab corner. I didn't ask the brand I just trust him and I like to help out the
little guy. I hope its a Tabco because your not the only one that recommended that brand. Thanks for the help and Ill let u know what I end up with.

oilyrag80 06-30-2013 08:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well my cab corner came in and it was a tri-plus. so I started to fit it up and ended up fitting pretty good it was much heavier then the other and the shape was good, matched up to rocker very well. When I get one for the other side
I'm going to get a tabco like everyone recommended.
I also shot some epoxy primer on b pillar and rockers I wasent sure if shooting
primer today was a good idea because it hit 110 degrees
but it came out good.

jbclassix 06-30-2013 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ONLY 110!!!
Cab is looking good man!!
Posted via Mobile Device

oilyrag80 06-30-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 6150536)
ONLY 110!!!
Cab is looking good man!!
Posted via Mobile Device

wow thats hot! Tucson is kind of crazy because its 6pm, 108 and about to rain?

waybad 06-30-2013 09:14 PM

hot hot hot hot

71cheynne402 06-30-2013 10:19 PM

Thats looking amazing!!!! I wish I had your skills
Posted via Mobile Device

vegadesign 06-30-2013 10:49 PM

Very nice work, looks like it came out of the factory like that

You are make me much more motivated to do bodywork now
Posted via Mobile Device

oilyrag80 07-02-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71cheynne402 (Post 6150706)
Thats looking amazing!!!! I wish I had your skills
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegadesign (Post 6150757)
Very nice work, looks like it came out of the factory like that

You are make me much more motivated to do bodywork now
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, This door opening seems like it is taking forever and never going to be done but its almost there now.

FRENCHBLUE72 07-03-2013 12:01 AM

Looks great congrats..

T_Raven 07-03-2013 12:33 AM

Just saw this thread for the first time, I just scrolled through this thread to check out the picks. I've always wanted to do this. Awesome thread