The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

davischevy 12-01-2020 12:35 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

1 Attachment(s)
I used to polish aluminum, but I sold it when I retired.

special-K 12-01-2020 06:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now there's some aluminum that never needed to be "brought back" very far

Bead blasting is the easiest way to go. There is always hand work and in this case that would be sandpaper. I'd start with a solution, such as the Eagle 1 product. I had a nasty nasty set of aluminum slots I bought stupid cheap. They were stained brownish black and rough from brake dust. I first used oven cleaner. That did a great job toward breaking through that crud and showing some silver. But it discolored the metal some and left the white crusty deposits. I then tried wheel cleaner and Scotchbrite but that wasn't getting it very well. Seemed a bit light duty for what was needed, so I went to wet sanding with fine paper. I think I used the wheel cleaner with it. Brought them to a point I was happy with. I didn't ever want then brand new polished looking, just aged aluminum to go with the rest of the unrestored truck

Burnished finish is "as cast", such as the engine case on a Harley. It is what you have after bead blasting... unmachined/unpolished

EDIT: I saw other Larry's post above and though I was on CG's "bring these wheels back" thread. All that typing in the wrong thread... dayum. Hey CG, come take a look at this thread! :lol:

davischevy 12-01-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8843078)
Now there's some aluminum that never needed to be "brought back" very far

Bead blasting is the easiest way to go. There is always hand work and in this case that would be sandpaper. I'd start with a solution, such as the Eagle 1 product. I had a nasty nasty set of aluminum slots I bought stupid cheap. They were stained brownish black and rough from brake dust. I first used oven cleaner. That did a great job toward breaking through that crud and showing some silver. But it discolored the metal some and left the white crusty deposits. I then tried wheel cleaner and Scotchbrite but that wasn't getting it very well. Seemed a bit light duty for what was needed, so I went to wet sanding with fine paper. I think I used the wheel cleaner with it. Brought them to a point I was happy with. I didn't ever want then brand new polished looking, just aged aluminum to go with the rest of the unrestored truck

Burnished finish is "as cast", such as the engine case on a Harley. It is what you have after bead blasting... unmachined/unpolished

EDIT: I saw other Larry's post above and though I was on CG's "bring these wheels back" thread. All that typing in the wrong thread... dayum. Hey CG, come take a look at this thread! :lol:

I was following both threads, so you never lost me at all. :lol::lol:

57taskforce 12-01-2020 01:34 PM

Don’t worry Tim, I do that same thing more than I care to admit:lol:

67ChevyRedneck 12-01-2020 03:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8842118)
Been a while since I’ve been in the er. Cut it with a filet knife doing backstraps for dinner ,deer got me back . So know I’ll have matching hands after my surgery next week

OWWWWWWWWWWWWCH!

I used some of the holiday weekend to get a chunk of siding up. I wasn't go to put up the scaffold... but it's sooooo much easier and faster. I've gotten really good at putting it up. I had all those sections up in under an hour. *The short pieces were just scraps I threw up to make it look more done on the corner :lol:

We also took the little guy to get our first real tree. We go a couple hours north in NC and cut our own. We don't have to do it that way, there's closer places, but it's a nice drive and a good trip. We were going to skip this year, because he's only 3 months, but my mom is having a huge family Christmas in NY next year (all told with grand kids we're talking 26 people - 2 parents, 7 kids, 17 grand kids) and we'll be gone for that entire week, we'll probably throw up our old fake one with a few lights. It was also last minute, so we took big blue instead of old blue... old blue's brakes have gotten a little too sketchy for mountain driving.

And the wife decorated and we had to fire up the fire place for the first night this year... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Palf70Step 12-01-2020 04:22 PM

:metal: Very nice Jesse

Ol Blue K20 12-01-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8843214)
I was following both threads, so you never lost me at all. :lol::lol:

I was following both too. But, I got lost......:lol:

Ol Blue K20 12-01-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8843263)
OWWWWWWWWWWWWCH!

I used some of the holiday weekend to get a chunk of siding up. I wasn't go to put up the scaffold... but it's sooooo much easier and faster. I've gotten really good at putting it up. I had all those sections up in under an hour. *The short pieces were just scraps I threw up to make it look more done on the corner :lol:

We also took the little guy to get our first real tree. We go a couple hours north in NC and cut our own. We don't have to do it that way, there's closer places, but it's a nice drive and a good trip. We were going to skip this year, because he's only 3 months, but my mom is having a huge family Christmas in NY next year (all told with grand kids we're talking 26 people - 2 parents, 7 kids, 17 grand kids) and we'll be gone for that entire week, we'll probably throw up our old fake one with a few lights. It was also last minute, so we took big blue instead of old blue... old blue's brakes have gotten a little too sketchy for mountain driving.

And the wife decorated and we had to fire up the fire place for the first night this year... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Shop is looking good as is the tree. Very nice!

72c20customcamper 12-01-2020 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8843263)
OWWWWWWWWWWWWCH!

We cut our tree too little closer like 10 minutes down the road. I need a shop like that my 2 car garage is stuffed full 2 cars with enough parts to build another

67ChevyRedneck 12-01-2020 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks :D It's already too small and it's not even done. 28x52 with 500 SF of storage in the rafters with a 6' ceiling.

So, my wife informed me the tree wasn't done. It's done now :rolleyes:

LockDoc 12-01-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8843512)
Thanks :D It's already too small and it's not even done. 28x52 with 500 SF of storage in the rafters with a 6' ceiling.

So, my wife informed me the tree wasn't done. It's done now :rolleyes:

If your shop was 4 ft wider it would be the same size as my house....:).. Lookin' good!

LockDoc

67ChevyRedneck 12-01-2020 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8843527)
If your shop was 4 ft wider it would be the same size as my house....:).. Lookin' good!

LockDoc

Same. I think my House is 32x36 with two floors and the attached garage is 22x24 with a bonus room above it. The foot print is only +/-250 SF smaller than the foot print of my house/attached garage combined.

FleetsidePaul 12-02-2020 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8843539)
Same. I think my House is 32x36 with two floors and the attached garage is 22x24 with a bonus room above it. The foot print is only +/-250 SF smaller than the foot print of my house/attached garage combined.

Nothing beats a big garage... Except maybe two big garages.

I've been thinking of buying the lot next to my house and putting a shop on it.
But I live in the hills so I'd have to have it graded which would be $$$$. I have a half acre now but I can't build on it because it's all hillside. I can't even put in a pool. Thank god because my wife wanted one and I don't want to clean the d@mn thing. I'll never use it. I was delighted when they said it wouldn't work. :metal:

Your garage is looking great Jesse. I may do the same. That lot has been sitting vacant and for sale as long as I've lived here. They might want to strike a deal. Who knows?

dave6672 12-02-2020 07:50 AM

I live on a hillside as well and bought the one acre lot next to me and built a 24 x 40 garage on it. Due to the angle on which it is built, the concrete cost was twice the cost of the garage.

GOPAPA 12-02-2020 08:21 AM

Very nice looking building ,,and with all the insulation we have now and wrapping the walls before siding ..air tight . curious what you are heating the building with . I see no stove pipe .. again great job you have done and a shop size like that so usable .

67ChevyRedneck 12-02-2020 09:28 AM

I live in the hilly part of SC, so our seasons are "mild." It's usable "as is" from mid Feb-June and Sept to almost Dec. without heat or air, with July/August hot as all get out and Dec/Jan really the only months too cold to be comfortable.

I'm looking into a traditional heat pump system with an air handler in the attic or a mini split system is looking more and more appealing. Based on the size, I think I need two units. That will be a few years down the road, I'm leaving 3" PVC in the walls for future wiring, heat/coolant lines, and drip line. The attic will be "open" with built in shelving.

We need to replace the upstairs HVAC in our house this spring. I'm trying to build the entire thing with cash and a small HELOC loan. I'm doing pretty well so far, as it sits, everything is paid for (electrical is done) and I've only used about 5K of the loan. I do need about another 15K to finish. Doors, insulation, and all the finishes are $$$.

I've lost track, but I think I have 38-40K in it so far (Concrete was $$, it has a real foundation and the floor is 5.5" thick). I've done everything but the grading/concrete, shingles (I did the sheeting and underlayment though) and the electrical. I rented a crane for a few hours and my friends help me set the trusses. That was a fun day. The crane operator was awesome.

I could have done a metal building for much cheaper (and been done already!), but I live in an awesome older neighborhood with some really nice homes with 0.75 to 1.5 acres each and our home value has climbed 100K in the 10 years we've owned it and I want it to keep climbing.

Paul do it! I'm trying to buy the two lots next to me (0.7 acres total). It's all wooded and I want it to stay that way. We've made an offer. The seller seemed willing, but dragging their feet now. It's an old subdivision plat from the 60's that never got built. The problem today is that the lots are too small for new septic requirements with the size houses they need to build to make a subdivision profitable, so it all sits and I'm good with that. I think there's something like 12 different owners of 20 lots. My neighbors tell me most of it is owned by people trying to use the address for our school district.

You're not kidding Dave! All my grading/concrete work came out to around 17K :eek: I had 3 quotes and they were all pretty similar. It will end up being about 1/3 of my total cost.

1976gmc20 12-02-2020 12:22 PM

We bought the 20 acre lot next to us mostly just to keep anyone else from building a house on it.

We don't need any more neighbors :devil:

72c20customcamper 12-03-2020 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had my surgery yesterday. Still numb from the long lasting local believe doc said 32 stitches from my mid pinky to my palm and ring finger was still a little loopy when I saw him after surgery . Go back in two weeks to have the stitches removed then the pain starts with pt

57taskforce 12-03-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8844228)
Had my surgery yesterday. Still numb from the long lasting local believe doc said 32 stitches from my mid pinky to my palm and ring finger was still a little loopy when I saw him after surgery . Go back in two weeks to have the stitches removed the pt .

Hope you have a speedy recovery! That don’t look like fun at all.

67ChevyRedneck 12-03-2020 12:41 PM

Just remember, that's not TP :lol:

Seriously... ouch....

special-K 12-03-2020 06:40 PM

Hoping for a smooth recovery

Palf70Step 12-03-2020 06:42 PM

:agree:

Ol Blue K20 12-03-2020 09:49 PM

I hope you heal quickly with as little pain as possible.

1976gmc20 12-03-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8844252)
Hope you have a speedy recovery! That don’t look like fun at all.

Yes, on both accounts (ouch!).

Well, it was 50 degrees today so like a dang fool I thought I could run the surface water line to the barn. Turned it on but it's not getting through to the drain valve in the bottom of the coulee, so I started hauling hot water down the hill to thaw it out. First the teakettle and then five gallon jugs! After three hours and digging up a short stretch that I had previously buried because I thought I wanted to mow there, it still wasn't running. Ran out of energy and daylight and after she got home from shopping in town, we pulled apart a splice so at least part of it could drain and I could shut it off for the night.

So almost four hours of fighting with it just to save hauling water to the barn which I had to do anyway :(

FleetsidePaul 12-04-2020 06:09 PM

I made enchiladas' (again) They were good. But they were HOT! I may have gone a little crazy with the chilies. I'm trying to dial in my enchilada sauce to be like a place in LA that I used to eat at all the time. Those were the best. These were close but way too much heat.

My problem is that I have a tendency to go a little overboard with the spices. I know that. And I'm trying to tone it down a notch.

But they were tasty. As long as you don't mind having your mouth catch on fire.

I got complements. But everyone was sweating and fanning their mouths.

What can I say? I don't like bland food.

57taskforce 12-04-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8844899)
I made enchiladas' (again) They were good. But they were HOT! I may have gone a little crazy with the chilies. I'm trying to dial in my enchilada sauce to be like a place in LA that I used to eat at all the time. Those were the best. These were close but way too much heat.

My problem is that I have a tendency to go a little overboard with the spices. I know that. And I'm trying to tone it down a notch.

I’m sure they were awesome. Green Chile enchiladas are a staple at my house. I think I’m gonna have some for dinner now. I love the heat. The bad thing about the heat is hot on the way in = hot on the way out:lol:

LockDoc 12-05-2020 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8844899)

My wife makes tomato juice for me every summer. She gets it made up and I add the spices. I did pretty good this year but last year I got a little carried away with the Crushed Red Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, White Pepper and hot sauce. I had to add a half a can of store bought juice to every quart of homemade stuff to make it drinkable..... The daughter took some of the uncut juice home for Bloody Mary's. She said it was "Awsome"...:) .. I don't know, I don't drink them.

LockDoc

FleetsidePaul 12-05-2020 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8844976)
I’m sure they were awesome. Green Chile enchiladas are a staple at my house. I think I’m gonna have some for dinner now. I love the heat. The bad thing about the heat is hot on the way in = hot on the way out:lol:

Green chilies in New Mexico? Who would have thought? :lol:

davischevy 12-05-2020 08:43 AM

My wife makes some great soup. She puts peppers in both chicken and beef soup. we use a lot of peppers in our cooking.

A while back, she used our last fresh tomatoes to make tomato soup. I don't know what she put in it, but I may request more for supper.

Boog 12-05-2020 09:05 AM

Dr's orders. Repeat as needed. ;)

special-K 12-05-2020 03:17 PM

I'd be lost in a world with no peppers

57taskforce 12-05-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8845113)
Green chilies in New Mexico? Who would have thought? :lol:

Right! We put it I everything including ice cream, apple pies, pizza, cheeseburgers, hell you can get your steak smothered in it at most of the normal chain steak houses too. Id surely die with out having it daily!

DeadheadNM 12-05-2020 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Green Chile - can’t get enough. Craving a Lotaburger green chile cheese burger with fried onions and no pickles right now. https://www.lotaburger.com/

Y’all should try this. Blend chipotle sauce/salsa ranchera with sour cream and use on enchiladas, fish tacos, or as a dip. Tangy, smoky, and spicy. You can use whole chipotle’s in adobo but blend these up before mixing with sour cream.

Getter-Done 12-05-2020 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8845354)
I'd be lost in a world with no peppers

I just bought some straight from Mexico.

A place several miles from me Sell Fruits and vegetables and etc. on the Week-ends.

I never thought they would still have this set-up in December.

Attachment 2065099

57taskforce 12-05-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8845375)
Green Chile - can’t get enough. Craving a Lotaburger green chile cheese burger with fried onions and no pickles right now. https://www.lotaburger.com/

Y’all should try this. Blend chipotle sauce/salsa ranchera with sour cream and use on enchiladas, fish tacos, or as a dip. Tangy, smoky, and spicy. You can use whole chipotle’s in adobo but blend these up before mixing with sour cream.

Yep indeed. Now you got me craving lottaburger. Double meat and cheese heavy on the green Chile is my favorite. It’s a big pain to order from Blake’s with Adolf Grisham’s orders right now though. The pumpkin pie shake is in season too:waah:

1976gmc20 12-05-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8845363)
Right! We put it I everything including ice cream, apple pies, pizza, cheeseburgers, hell you can get your steak smothered in it at most of the normal chain steak houses too. Id surely die with out having it daily!

One time I went into a real Mexican cafe in Taos, and ordered a bowl of chili.

They asked me "red or green" and I said "green" then when they brought it I saw everybody peering out of the kitchen door to watch the Gringo melt down :lol:

I was young back then and could eat a Jalapena pepper straight :devil:

57taskforce 12-05-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8845456)
One time I went into a real Mexican cafe in Taos, and ordered a bowl of chili.

They asked me "red or green" and I said "green" then when they brought it I saw everybody peering out of the kitchen door to watch the Gringo melt down :lol:

I was young back then and could eat a Jalapena pepper straight :devil:

I can picture that whole scene in my head. When my family comes to visit from VA, those light weights won’t touch any of the green/red Chile or any of the other peppers. I don’t get it. I ate jalapeños all the time when I was growing up there, Tabasco went with everything when I was a teenager/young adult. Now I still love me some Tabasco but not as much as green Chile. The hotter the better. Damn New Mexicans kidnapped me and made me one there own:lol:

Steeveedee 12-05-2020 08:18 PM

I used to eat stuff hot enough that my wife wouldn't eat at the same table, that stuff would burn her eyes. I used to cauterize my hemorrhoids that way. Now I'm old and my stomach is crawling up my esophagus; no more spicy food for me. :(

1976gmc20 12-05-2020 09:30 PM

Quote:

Damn New Mexicans kidnapped me and made me one there own
Good for you! The part of NM where I worked, you had to live there about a hundred years before you were a local. Folks would tell me how their great great great great grand daddy came over from Spain and got a land grant from the King! I gave a young guy a ride one time and he told me that he had never been out of the valley.

I can't eat stuff as hot as I used to - just out of practice I guess.

DeadheadNM 12-05-2020 10:33 PM

Land of Entrapment