The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

E911manager 12-11-2011 06:49 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I got rained on while hustling to get the welder and grinders put up!! But did get a lot done yesterday and today. Boxed the front of the Caprice frame reinforced and finished the core support migration!! Set the bed in place to start mocking it onto the caprice frame. Pulled the column out and set it in place along with the brake booster. Also pulled the caprice inner fenders off the fenders and took a look at how I can mend them to the top part of the 64 top inner fender. Pics are on "my build" page.
Posted via Mobile Device

markeb01 12-11-2011 07:38 PM

With temps in the low 20’s and clear roads, I took the truck for a ride and filled the tank. While standing at the pump I was alerted by what I thought was a train horn. Some train engineers in the area seem to delight in terrorizing unsuspecting motorists with a sharp blast they didn’t see coming. In reality, it was a big rig driver alerting an unbelievably stupid motorist that was about to be killed. The big rig had no chance to avoid a guy in a pickup truck that pulled directly across his path to enter the gas station, in a rather leisurely maneuver. I turned in time to see the big truck rocket by at about 55 mph - less than a foot from the rear of the pickup. A woman at another pump yelled out “Wow I thought that guy was going to kill himself”. I responded with agreement. The guy in the pickup got out of his truck and headed into the store looking like he needed to change his shorts.

I was very thankful the wreck didn’t happen as the pickup would have likely been thrown into the gas pumps. Every day can certainly be filled with adventure.

Came home, poured in an appropriate amount of Sta-Bil and went for another ride to mix it up. Also put the new registration sticker on. Not much in the way of accomplishments, but it sure was fun being out behind the wheel. This time of year where we live you just never know what the roads will be like.

66ChevyMax 12-11-2011 10:49 PM

Brought these two together - LS3/T56 Magnum

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...11Dec11002.jpg

samuellg1977 12-11-2011 10:51 PM

Popped the cap off the radiator to find all my oil inside. Hmm, How'd that happen? Checked the oil - no oil - DOH!! OF COURSE THERE'S NO OIL IN THE ENGINE, STUPID!! IT'S ALL IN THE RADIATOR!! (thinking) Well, I got that TPI 305 - so I tried to fire it ip and (OF COURSE) it's smoking and stuttering. Scrapped both of those and just ordered a new engine. Ever have one of those days?

markeb01 12-11-2011 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuellg1977 (Post 5060166)
Ever have one of those days?

Yep. Many years ago I was in the middle of relocating the household 50 miles south, when my transmission generated excessive pressure and ballooned the torque converter. This of course pushed the crankshaft forward and wiped out the block. So as we’re trying to unpack boxes and set up the house, I had to buy and install a new engine and transmission so I could get back to work! This required borrowing another truck since I had no way to pick up the new engine and transmission. Yikes!

E911manager 12-12-2011 10:32 AM

Happened yesterday. I was working on the truck and my wife came out in the back yard an started humming the song to "Sandford and Son"!!! Is that a bad sign???

198plus 12-12-2011 01:52 PM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by E911manager (Post 5060793)
Happened yesterday. I was working on the truck and my wife came out in the back yard an started humming the song to "Sandford and Son"!!! Is that a bad sign???

glos55 12-12-2011 02:50 PM

Yep.......Wife got hit in our Blazer while turning into our driveway while I was watching! The guy then bounced off from her and took out my NEW mailbox. It goes into the body-shop today. Happy Holidays!

E911manager 12-12-2011 03:02 PM

Sorry glos55 Fa la la la la.... la la... la freakin' la!!!

ChrisDollins 12-12-2011 09:59 PM

Didn't get the chance to post yesterday. But took the old truck on the farthest trip we've ever been on. Cruised it about 50 miles one way and the way back was in the dark. Ol truck never missed a beat. God I love this old truck!

Chris

markeb01 12-12-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glos55 (Post 5061116)
Yep.......Wife got hit in our Blazer while turning into our driveway while I was watching! The guy then bounced off from her and took out my NEW mailbox. It goes into the body-shop today. Happy Holidays!

Bummer. Hopefully she wasn't hurt.

samuellg1977 12-13-2011 12:01 AM

Ok, Guys. I am officially a dumba**. The 305 IS NOT LOCKED UP. Apparently, I left a socket and ratchet on the engine somewhere, i hit the key, and when i heard the CLACK of the ratchet clattering under the hood, I threw my hands up and went back to the couch. Now that the IROC runs and drives like it should, time to snatch the motor/trans out. My question for you fellas is this: Can i pull the heads and intake off the 350 and put them on the 305? My 305 is a TPI motor and the 350 is carb'd. I just need to get the truck running again. Thanks.

Sam

510hpLs 12-13-2011 01:11 AM

got radiator in an air intake an mass air mocked up finally !!!

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/..._airintake.jpg

MisterC 12-13-2011 02:46 AM

I installed the new Neutral Safety/Backup Light switch only to find that my backup light housings are all corroded.

glos55 12-13-2011 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5061839)
Bummer. Hopefully she wasn't hurt.

Thanks for the concern! No she's fine but the guys Saturn is ruined. p.s. his insurance paid for another new mail box

hopped up 12-13-2011 10:19 AM

I drove my truckto work in the rain! Been driving it since fri, first time I've been able to do that since I got it. Feels really good ,just gotta get my brake lights working and I'll drive it everyday
Posted via Mobile Device

Woogeroo 12-13-2011 03:05 PM

I ordered some parts... and checked the tracking number on some others.

yeah, hard morning for sure.

:D

-W

Money Pit C-10's 12-13-2011 05:53 PM

I sat in mine and made big-block noises.
Posted via Mobile Device

markeb01 12-13-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money Pit C-10's (Post 5063178)
Posted via Mobile Device

A popular past time for sure. Welcome to the forum!

wutnxt 12-13-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money Pit C-10's (Post 5063178)
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay thats just funny......

E911manager 12-13-2011 07:47 PM

Uhm with your mouth or something else??
Posted via Mobile Device

"El Jalapeno 66" 12-13-2011 10:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
today i finish with all the engine work, engine start and runs great

jbgroby 12-14-2011 09:48 AM

Martha Stewart would NOT be happy, the Green does not co-ordinate with the udder color.

"El Jalapeno 66" 12-15-2011 01:44 AM

Jajajaja i know, something different, thats why i named "el jalapeno"

jbgroby 12-15-2011 09:27 AM

Spicy

Money Pit C-10's 12-15-2011 07:11 PM

Thanks Mark! And E911, you've taken something pure and made it...nasty! Anyway, for the last two days I've been clearing out the garage so I can work. I've got the 66 up on jackstands and the wheels are off. Guess I'll start by finishing the brakes. I converted it to 5-lug by swapping in a 12-bolt and front spindles and brakes from an 85 Suburban (for the thicker rotors). I have a brand new CPP brake booster/master cylinder/proportioning valve setup all installed. the factory Suburban drums are all rebulit and the brake lines are run from the rear up to the firewall. Also, the front calipers/pads/rotors are new and installed. I just need to drill the frame to run the rubber lines through (like the later C-10's) and finish up the hard lines. Then fill with fluid and bleed and we should have brakes, cause you know brakes are soooo important when your truck doesn't even run. So to recap, I've done absolutely nothing to my truck today.

E911manager 12-16-2011 12:22 AM

Snuck out and put the front end back on. Cut down the salvaged front frame clip to manageable pieces so I can mock up the front bumper mounts. Heading to get more metal tomorrow for a weekend of welding. Sorry if I offended anyone on my reply to Money Pit's post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Money Pit C-10's 12-16-2011 12:46 AM

It's all good E911. I was just messin' with ya. But to be clear, I made the noises with my mouth. lol

E911manager 12-18-2011 12:39 AM

Tacked the front bumper mounts in place. My shop floor is a little uneven so I hope it is straight!!! LOL!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bardahl 12-18-2011 02:31 AM

Put a starter in my 68 Anni. edition

Rayo 12-18-2011 10:47 AM

looked at it and got the hell out of the garage!

70inline6 12-18-2011 06:04 PM

Finally got the emergency brake cable (that had to be made) installed and my rear brakes back together. The rear end had been up on jack stands for over two months! lol. Now I can at least push it around the yard. I may even get it running next weekend.

T2vigil 12-18-2011 06:38 PM

I finally got started on the motor assembly. Ported the head, gasket match and reassembled. Crank in and torqued and got the pistons in and the rods torqued. Head on and torqued. Thats where it stopped. The crankshaft thrust plate was broke and I had to order another one but at least I got the majority done. This will be the last work for a while, I get my shoulder operated on wednesday. Nothing serious but it will put me out for about a month.

markeb01 12-18-2011 08:06 PM

Good luck with the surgery.

C4 Metal Werks 12-18-2011 08:13 PM

I had an amplifier, dual dash speakers and kick panel speakers installed with a jack to plug my smart phone into so I can stream music while driving. Sounds great and the cables hide in the ashtray.

T2vigil 12-18-2011 09:47 PM

Thanks Mark. Just a few bone spurs a labrum tear and grinding out some arthritus. It has been hurting for a while and I have met my deductable and since all of my Santa apointments are done now is the time. Terry

Martin64 12-18-2011 10:10 PM

After moving the mounts and changing the radiator from the stock original(almost 50 year old) 6 cyl radiator to the V-8 radiator last week, I changed radiators again because the one I bought last week leaked!

E911manager 12-18-2011 11:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Front bumper mounts were completed along with the bed mounts and getting the Caprice tank placed..

66ChevyMax 12-19-2011 02:32 AM

Got the front of the engine installed.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...18Dec11001.jpg

glos55 12-19-2011 06:16 AM

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c3...rucknvette.jpg

It's put away for the winter.