The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

66-PMD-GMC 12-19-2011 10:53 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Stood in the kitchen staring out it my frame rusting in the rain... the freaking rain that doesn't seem to want to stop.... wishing I could finish my freaking carport/shop.. waiting for this stinking rain to stop...:waah:

1963c-10 12-19-2011 11:09 AM

Just went cruising in the 60degree weather to wake up to high 20's weather.

KroAutomotiveInc 12-19-2011 09:03 PM

made new sun visor
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...1219111524.jpg

pdxhall 12-19-2011 10:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cold and rainy outside and I don't have heat in the garage (yet) so I worked a little on my steering wheel idea. I think I'm going to strip the cap and redo it but this is what I'm shooting for. The first pic is what I started with. I've repaired the cracks in the wheel and it's ready for paint. Tried some paint on the horn cap.

ChrisDollins 12-19-2011 11:26 PM

Turned out pretty nice looking I think! I like it!

Chris

Vernski 12-20-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisDollins (Post 5073762)
Turned out pretty nice looking I think! I like it!

Chris

X2 nice retro look the brown sets it off...Vernski:metal:

pdxhall 12-20-2011 04:57 PM

Thanks you guys. It is actually satin black, though. I'm going to paint the wheel to match. I think I'm going with the silver fawn interior with black seats and accents.

Vernski 12-20-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 5074771)
Thanks you guys. It is actually satin black, though. I'm going to paint the wheel to match. I think I'm going with the silver fawn interior with black seats and accents.

I must be color challenged I looked at it again and by golly it is black.....:metal:Vernski
:dum:

MisterC 12-20-2011 09:17 PM

Replaced the worn out radiator cap with a new one. That pressurized the system enough that my radiator started leaking from both the top and bottom. I then removed the radiator and took it to the local shop for repair. Now I'm knee deep in all the old threads to determine what is the best molded upper radiator hose and transmission cooler lines to use.

I swear, lately, every time I repair one thing, two more problems arise as a result.:banghead:

Rich 5150 69 12-20-2011 10:25 PM

Misterc, they did make a 64 to 72 one piece molded hose for our truck ...but its getting hard to find, seems that everybody is going to the steel tube ( alumacoated ) with short jumper hoses for attachment, you may get lucky and find one in a small parts house, but napa and autozone don`t have them anymore, at least not that I`ve found.

A.T. RockDriller 12-20-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 5075072)
I must be color challenged I looked at it again and by golly it is black.....:metal:Vernski
:dum:

Vernski....
I sure am everything challenged....color.....hearing.....balance.....smell....but not taste...

Folks really don't take to a guy who tastes or licks their stuff.....even if you have one of them blue tags to hang from yer mirror so you don't have to walk to far.
Ya start lickin' a fellers steering wheel cause ya thought it was brown......
Well,......ya know where this is headin'...
Even a nice guy like Portland Hall might take exception to you tongue samplin' his truck jes to determine the shade of his turning wheel.

Merry Christmas to all of you.
I hope the best for you all...
God....Family...an' Friends......I hope you're 3 fer 3.
If you think you came up short on that list, PM me.
I can guarantee two fer three.

James71c10 12-20-2011 10:51 PM

I drove mine out of my shop without my bed on it and went down the street. And of course made my rear tires have a little less tread.

MisterC 12-20-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 (Post 5075315)
Misterc, they did make a 64 to 72 one piece molded hose for our truck ...but its getting hard to find, seems that everybody is going to the steel tube ( alumacoated ) with short jumper hoses for attachment, you may get lucky and find one in a small parts house, but napa and autozone don`t have them anymore, at least not that I`ve found.

Thanks Rich. A saw your post in another thread and wondered about that. I'll check this old small auto parts store that's in the next town over. They're the kind of store that has dusty parts on all the shelves. Perhaps I get lucky.

pdxhall 12-20-2011 10:58 PM

Back at ya A.T. x2 Have a great Christmas and you're right, no licken' the truck. :haha:

E911manager 12-21-2011 08:02 PM

I got home in time to make the front gas tank crossmember along with the two front gas tank hanger mounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

niterider65 12-21-2011 09:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
picked up some small things from the powed coater today for under the hood and rear sway bar :metal: thing that was powder was hood latch rad inspection plates rear sway bar dash bezel and visors mounts and a few other bits and pices ...:lol::chevy:

KroAutomotiveInc 12-21-2011 10:04 PM

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...1220112336.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...1221110751.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...1221110915.jpg

66ChevyMax 12-22-2011 12:37 AM

Got it back on the ground for the first time.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...21Dec11004.jpghttp://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...21Dec11008.jpg
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...21Dec11015.jpghttp://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...21Dec11003.jpg

Dads Worktruck Jr. 12-23-2011 12:13 AM

Blasted bedmounts and painted them satin black.

*edit* I just realized I'm in the wrong year set :(

CSoliz 12-23-2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 5057311)
Thanks.......I can't wait either, it want be long. We filled all the seams but the hood.

how did you or what did you use to fill the seams?

Vernski 12-23-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.T. RockDriller (Post 5075379)
Vernski....
I sure am everything challenged....color.....hearing.....balance.....smell....but not taste...

Folks really don't take to a guy who tastes or licks their stuff.....even if you have one of them blue tags to hang from yer mirror so you don't have to walk to far.
Ya start lickin' a fellers steering wheel cause ya thought it was brown......
Well,......ya know where this is headin'...
Even a nice guy like Portland Hall might take exception to you tongue samplin' his truck jes to determine the shade of his turning wheel.

Merry Christmas to all of you.
I hope the best for you all...
God....Family...an' Friends......I hope you're 3 fer 3.
If you think you came up short on that list, PM me.
I can guarantee two fer three.

There is only a few things I like to lick:m3:and one of them is a ice cream cone, by the way Merry Xmas to one and all...Vernski:lol:

markeb01 12-23-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dads Worktruck Jr. (Post 5079140)
Blasted bedmounts and painted them satin black.

*edit* I just realized I'm in the wrong year set :(

Well... Welcome to the site no matter what year you have.

glos55 12-23-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5079328)
well... Welcome to the site no matter what year you have.

x2

Woogeroo 12-23-2011 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished cleaning up, running the wires and re-assemebling everything I had to take loose to replace my dome light assembly in my '65 c10.

The new replacement assembly and the clear lens are from LMC Truck and I am very happy with it. I can't always write that about LMC parts.

Here is a photo of the new setup.

-W

markeb01 12-23-2011 07:55 PM

Finally came up with an excuse to take the truck out for a ride. This can be somewhat challenging because my truck likes being started and driven every day. After sitting for an extended period it takes considerable effort getting her started, especially with the ambient being 18 degrees. Once warmed up and ready to head out, I went on the thrilling adventure of dropping letters off at the post office.

Woogeroo 12-23-2011 07:57 PM

markeb01 - I took my truck around for a little shakedown run after all of this wiring and what not going on. It's a good thing too, as I noticed my blinkers weren't working. I had knocked the flasher loose in all of my rooting around.

-W

Bardahl 12-23-2011 08:02 PM

Bought a 700r4 and dual exhaust for the 68 Chev

markeb01 12-23-2011 08:02 PM

It's nice discovering those little bugs before being stuck in traffic or heading out on that 1,000 mile road trip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogeroo (Post 5080354)
markeb01 - I took my truck around for a little shakedown run after all of this wiring and what not going on. It's a good thing too, as I noticed my blinkers weren't working. I had knocked the flasher loose in all of my rooting around.

-W

E911manager 12-28-2011 11:10 AM

Finished up the gas tank mounts, grinding down some welds on the bed mounts, made new under the dash mounts for the caprice steering column, made a wire template for the steering and am now checking on options with Flaming River, Borgeson, and IDIDIT. Looks like Borgeson has the best solution for my set up.. Oh and tried a little dent removal on the bed and found out that body work is one thing that doesnt get better with age... I still suck..

Stefan. 12-28-2011 02:58 PM

Today I overhaul the brakes

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/al...6530353530.jpg

towersddg9 12-28-2011 11:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Had to pull the motor and tranny as I had an oil leak, it just got worse the more the motor ran, I was thinking rear main. Well the oil gallery plugs were all loose one fell out and the others just hand tight, I should have checked it, but thing is I supplied the macine shop with a complete new set, and had the works done on the block, its all done, and I will re stab tomorrow, I went ahead and changed out the center bolt covers for an early version

69burban 12-29-2011 02:05 AM

I was pretty exited about getting the heater working (there was no thermostat in it:mad:) but the blower motor for the fan was making the craziest noise. Replaced the fan motor today (22.00 from NAPA:metal:) that thing moves so much air now! it's awesome!

purzell 12-30-2011 06:07 PM

Made my 66 long stepper run and drive! New/used Holley 4412 is on, new/used Holley air cleaner, set timing and drove it up the street for the first time. Needs brake job and some asshat stole the car cover off of it last night. But it runs and drives! Happy new year!

65Gregg 12-30-2011 06:30 PM

Towesddg9 what did you use to change your centerbolt covers to perimeter style? Adaptors that bolt to the center bolt holes?

chainsaw 12-30-2011 08:56 PM

Still block sanding. This should be my last time, now have to wait for warmer weather to see if I can get some color on it.

MisterC 12-30-2011 09:38 PM

I installed my repaired radiator with all of the accessories. Additionally, I installed my new parklamp/turn signal wiring harness under the hood.

XtechX 12-30-2011 10:35 PM

I went to a local saw mill and picked up 10 3/4" white oak boards for my bed floor for $120 bucks. They were all planed and trued up and ready to cut to size. I cut them to spec according gmcpauls write up, or as close as I could. Now I have to cut the grooves etc in them. I made some practice cuts on some scrap, using just a regular combination blade, anyone else just use a regular blade to cut the grooves? Did you go the full 1/4" wide?

C4 Metal Werks 12-31-2011 04:41 AM

I little bling today.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7154/6...a0eee142_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/6...7d5e112a_z.jpg

Vernski 12-31-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtechX (Post 5092416)
I went to a local saw mill and picked up 10 3/4" white oak boards for my bed floor for $120 bucks. They were all planed and trued up and ready to cut to size. I cut them to spec according gmcpauls write up, or as close as I could. Now I have to cut the grooves etc in them. I made some practice cuts on some scrap, using just a regular combination blade, anyone else just use a regular blade to cut the grooves? Did you go the full 1/4" wide?

The 1/4" allows for expansion an contraction...Vernski:mm:

Bardahl 12-31-2011 08:41 PM

Bought another 68 GMC long fleet , I`m sick or have another hole in my head, I don`t feel sick??, I must just have another hole in my head !!