The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Solo2002 11-18-2012 01:26 AM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

This truck gets better every time I see it great work man
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 11-19-2012 08:54 AM

Nice way to keep everything tidy! Bet you saved some money by crimping your own lines... Looking good man.
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 11-19-2012 09:49 AM

Great work Alan always nice and clean.

Alan's Classic 11-22-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo2002 (Post 5708481)
This truck gets better every time I see it great work man
Posted via Mobile Device

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5710456)
Nice way to keep everything tidy! Bet you saved some money by crimping your own lines... Looking good man.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, i'm sure came close to paying for the tool. I really don't know the cost of crimping fittings. I have heard it gets pricey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5710534)
Great work Alan always nice and clean.

Thanks Dave, looks like your making some good progress on yours the last time I checked. ;)

Took a 4 port plate and made it a three. It's not machinist quality, but not bad for a hand grinder. ;) This fitting will go on the bottom of the inner fender to get the heater hoses thru and the low side hose from the compressor.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...8F0CA7BB8A.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...AC/ACplate.jpg

Strodder 11-22-2012 10:49 AM

Good idea Alan. :metal:

Alan's Classic 11-23-2012 12:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5716394)
Good idea Alan. :metal:

A few things done tonight.

Ta2Don 11-23-2012 08:53 AM

Awesome idea and workmanship!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Strodder 11-23-2012 11:21 AM

Looks great:metal: Did you check tire clearance turning lock to lock when on the ground? Just a thought. Lookin out for you. ;)

Solo2002 11-23-2012 09:33 PM

Looks great hey I got a ? When you did your vent windows how did you get your glass to stay in mine slides in and out very easy I can't find the rubber that goes in the frame before the glass anywhere and I don't know what type of glue or sealant will hold it in seeing that you have done this and your work is great figured you were the one to ask ya know lol thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 11-23-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5717963)
Awesome idea and workmanship!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I appreciate the comments Don. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5718112)
Looks great:metal: Did you check tire clearance turning lock to lock when on the ground? Just a thought. Lookin out for you. ;)

Thanks for the extra eye. I have not checked full lock to the left since I installed the 3 port fitting. I hope it's good. "praying". I did check full lock to the right. That's when i had some interferrence problems. Not sure if you saw that little uh oh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo2002 (Post 5719029)
Looks great hey I got a ? When you did your vent windows how did you get your glass to stay in mine slides in and out very easy I can't find the rubber that goes in the frame before the glass anywhere and I don't know what type of glue or sealant will hold it in seeing that you have done this and your work is great figured you were the one to ask ya know lol thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

I was advised by several not to use sealant. Because if the glass ever gets broken you will play hell getting all the remnants out. I got some glass setting tape from my glass guy. It wasn't the easiest thing I have ever done. I don't cuss any more, but a few words almost slipped out getting mine to work. The tape I got from him was not thick enough. i took a piece and ripped it in half. It's hard to explain how I did this, but I will try. The tape wraps around the edge of the glass that is inserted in the channel. I used a soapy water solution in a spray bottle to ease installation. Using one piece is hard enough, but I installed the piece i ripped in half on one side of the glass. One side had one layer of tape and the other had two. Is it the right way to do it??? I don't know. So far it hasn't fallen out. Once I got it in place i finally got it too close with a little effort. I let it set for a week (a lttile overkill). I opened it and it seemed to be secure. I have yet to have them open going down the road. ;) After I got the glass it place I used a razor to trim the excess tape.

I think LMC sells the tape or contact your local glass company. Take the parts with you.

Solo2002 11-23-2012 10:15 PM

Ok thanks man this clears up a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 11-23-2012 10:47 PM

Thanks for the info on the tape!

Dinos63 11-24-2012 11:25 AM

always such nice work!

Alan's Classic 11-25-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solo2002 (Post 5719131)
Ok thanks man this clears up a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5719231)
Thanks for the info on the tape!

Y'all are welcome!! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5719915)
always such nice work!

Thanks Dino!! Much appreciated!!

I picked these moulded hoses up to install on the inside of the cab. Since I had to flip the 4 port bulkhead around I had to adjust my plans little.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25001.jpg

It allowed me to install the heater hoses without kinking the hoses. I still need to install some hose clamps once I get them.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25003.jpg

All hoses in place underneath.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25007.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25008.jpg

Home made hose seperators.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25009.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25011.jpg

Side view with tire in place.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25012.jpg

Wheels full lock to the left. There is plenty of clearance. ;) Still need 3 more fittings to finish top side.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...2-11-25013.jpg

Ta2Don 11-25-2012 08:33 PM

The hose routing is awesome and I especially like the zip-ties...

Strodder 11-25-2012 10:05 PM

Nice job Alan :metal:

sdailey 11-25-2012 10:10 PM

Nice work as usual buddy.:metal:

theastronaut 11-25-2012 10:35 PM

Very nice work Alan! On the glass setting tape, you did the right thing since it was a little loose with one layer and didn't have thicker tape. Its supposed to be tight, we usually have to use a special glass puller to get vents out of the frames and regulator tracks off. It is okay to use adhesive, but only at the ends-less than an inch on each end so the glass will come out later.

Also, I saw your want ad for bumper filler plates. Have you thought about just making a pair? The outer bent edges don't show once bolted up and it's easy to make the dimples with a ball bearing and socket. If you want to make your own I can send one of mine to uses as a pattern.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s..._2926261_n.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 11-25-2012 10:42 PM

Nice!

Alan's Classic 11-25-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5722473)
The hose routing is awesome and I especially like the zip-ties...

Thanks Don!! The zipties might be my temp solution for a while til I get everything operating. I've been looking for some nice hose seperators that will mount the hoses as well as seperate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5722734)
Nice job Alan :metal:

Thanks Dennis!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 5722755)
Nice work as usual buddy.:metal:

Thanks Shannon!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 5722839)
Very nice work Alan! On the glass setting tape, you did the right thing since it was a little loose with one layer and didn't have thicker tape. Its supposed to be tight, we usually have to use a special glass puller to get vents out of the frames and regulator tracks off. It is okay to use adhesive, but only at the ends-less than an inch on each end so the glass will come out later.

Also, I saw your want ad for bumper filler plates. Have you thought about just making a pair? The outer bent edges don't show once bolted up and it's easy to make the dimples with a ball bearing and socket. If you want to make your own I can send one of mine to uses as a pattern.

Great tip on the adhesive. BTW thanks for the comments.

Yes I have thought about making some. I had two old sets somewhere. I can't seem to located them. Thanks for the offer. I might make a template from cardboard. If that doesn't work I'll let you know. There is a guy about 30 miles from me that has a set for sale. I might make the journey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5722862)
Nice!

bossmanivy 11-26-2012 08:07 AM

Wow Alan, what a journey! I really enjoyed this build. I sure hope my truck turns out anything in the neighborhood of that nice. I just bought a 63 LWB that I plan to drive for awhile till I have my 69 done. I am 5 weeks sober, and I think your truck is stunning
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device

Strodder 11-26-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossmanivy (Post 5723391)
I am 5 weeks sober, and I think your truck is stunning
Chris

ATTA BOY Chris. :metal:

Alan's Classic 11-26-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Wow Alan, what a journey! I really enjoyed this build. I sure hope my truck turns out anything in the neighborhood of that nice. I just bought a 63 LWB that I plan to drive for awhile till I have my 69 done. I am 5 weeks sober, and I think your truck is stunning
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Chris for the kind comments. Congrats on the sobreity. Keep the faith and life will be awesome. It can beat you up every now and then, just don't drink. My truck was my drink, yes I wanted to give up one time. I didn't give up and I haven't taken that drink for 6.5 years.

I'm tuned into your build as well.

Don't take any short cuts or rush your build. Do it right the first time and it will elliminate headaches later on.

God Bless

chevy_man5 11-26-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

I am 5 weeks sober
Chris
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep up the good work Chris!

You too Alan!!

flips72 11-26-2012 06:09 PM

very nice, such clean work:metal:

bossmanivy 11-26-2012 08:25 PM

Thank you guys so much for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. Thanks Alan for being a part of my build. I will resist the shortcuts.

CRGRS 66 11-27-2012 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Alan
Hydro-Craft is a product that comes to mind, if I think of others, I will let you know. You should be able to get this product through a local hydraulic shop. If you go to their site, they may hook you up with a local distributor. The rail pieces come in 6 foot lengths, you cut it down to size and use the appropriate inserts. Just some food for thought. If anything else comes to mind I will post.

aggie91 11-27-2012 11:35 AM

Alan - your hose routing looks great. I am curious about what the floor is going to look like on the passenger side when your done. Is it going to be covered with carpet and some type of sheild under the carpet?

I held off as long as I could on making the next statement...As nice as your truck is, you really need to do something about that rusty hub on the brake rotor...:lol:

As always your truck is top notch.

Alan's Classic 11-27-2012 11:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5723602)
Keep up the good work Chris!

You too Alan!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5724229)
very nice, such clean work:metal:

Thanks man, much appreciated!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossmanivy (Post 5724519)
Thank you guys so much for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. Thanks Alan for being a part of my build. I will resist the shortcuts.

I think we are all part of each others builds. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5725753)
Hey Alan
Hydro-Craft is a product that comes to mind, if I think of others, I will let you know. You should be able to get this product through a local hydraulic shop. If you go to their site, they may hook you up with a local distributor. The rail pieces come in 6 foot lengths, you cut it down to size and use the appropriate inserts. Just some food for thought. If anything else comes to mind I will post.

I might have to take a peak at these. Thanks for the help!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5725783)
Alan - your hose routing looks great. I am curious about what the floor is going to look like on the passenger side when your done. Is it going to be covered with carpet and some type of sheild under the carpet?

I held off as long as I could on making the next statement...As nice as your truck is, you really need to do something about that rusty hub on the brake rotor...:lol:

As always your truck is top notch.

I wondering the same as far as the lines inside the cab. I think if I build a speaker pod I will build it to cover them up.

I was waiting on someone to comment on the rusty rotor. I did do something about it, I put the wheel back on and installed the center cap. SSSHHHH, don't tell anyone. haha

No hands on today, but Shannon and I went to a local guy that had some bumper fillers. I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I was in awe everytime I turned a corner. The pics below is a taste. The short fleet setting outside is a very solid truck that is for sale. The price of $6500 is too steep for me. But he has a good price for the panel. We are going back in the daylight too look. I want to inspect the panel some more. It seems to be solid, but i want to see how much filler is in it. It's a 6 cylinder.

greg65 11-28-2012 04:06 PM

He wouldn't happen to have a spare passenger swb bedside would he? Nice collection.

sdailey 11-28-2012 05:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5728292)
He wouldn't happen to have a spare passenger swb bedside would he? Nice collection.

Greg,

Alan asked him about one, but he didn't have any. I'm assuming he was asking for you.;)

Couple more pics from last night.

greg65 11-28-2012 05:27 PM

That's cool, i will keep looking. If all else fails a road trip out west may be in order. Thanks for the pictures.

flips72 11-28-2012 06:40 PM

great pics,looks like heaven to me:lol:

Alan's Classic 11-28-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5728292)

I know Shannon answered your question. I'm keeping an eye out. If I can remember who needed inner fenders. Someone asked me and I can't remeber who.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 5728392)
Greg,

Alan asked him about one, but he didn't have any. I'm assuming he was asking for you.;)

Couple more pics from last night.

Thanks for answering the question and pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5728433)
That's cool, i will keep looking. If all else fails a road trip out west may be in order. Thanks for the pictures.

Did someone say road trip. :exit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5728532)
great pics,looks like heaven to me:lol:

That is exactly what I texted my wife when i was there.

Alan's Classic 12-02-2012 06:32 PM

Heater system pressurized so far so good. I've got heat. ;)

Palf70Step 12-02-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5735924)
Heater system pressurized so far so good. I've got heat. ;)

Heat?!?....we live in da south...we don't need no stinkin' heat....we need AC. :lol:

Strodder 12-02-2012 06:53 PM

Kewl, I mean Hot.:lol: Just when you need it. :metal:

Alan's Classic 12-02-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 5735964)
Heat?!?....we live in da south...we don't need no stinkin' heat....we need AC. :lol:

This way I can run down the road with the windows down and 40* outside. AC isn't too far off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5735965)
Kewl, I mean Hot.:lol: Just when you need it. :metal:

Yes Sir, I do need to run it down the road and double check every thing. It didn't build full summertime pressure idling in the driveway. Anytime the Vintage Air controller is turned on the engine fan kicks on.

Now I need to do some googling to see how much PAG oil goes in a 89 S10 AC compressor. It might be on the side of it.

Found it 8 oz

Also found this AC hose and fitting supplier. Their prices look good, but I have ordered all that I need. ACparts.com

flips72 12-04-2012 09:38 PM

yeah, i am curios as well as to how you like the air system?

Alan's Classic 12-05-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogeroo (Post 5736002)
woo hoo...

ya like the quality of that Vintage Air system Alan?

-W

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5740232)
yeah, i am curios as well as to how you like the air system?

I can't give it an honest review just yet. I will say this, so far I am very pleased. I have yet to get the AC done. Waiting on one fitting. It should be here tomorrow.

I've got to do a few other things on the punch list this week. I need to move it to the basement to make room in the shop for another truck coming in. It's not mine, but it is a board members truck. I won't say who yet.