The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

Strodder 02-28-2013 10:30 AM

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

I could really use a Tig Welder at times. Will you be buying one soon?

aggie91 02-28-2013 11:45 AM

I would love to get a TIG welder. I had looked at one of these and almost bought one. I held off for now to finish other items that are more important than getting a new welder now.

https://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal%2...3in1/index.php

These machines can do DC TIG, MIG and Stick. If you are not going to do any Aluminum TIG welding, this is a great machine. I think you can add a spool gun for the MIG to do Aluminum. You would need an AC TIG to do Aluminum correctly.

Alan's Classic 02-28-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inverter (Post 5918135)
Alan,
You are an inspiration to all. This truck is an incredible example of clean & precise skill and experience. Im glad I got to see it come together.

Its beautiful. :)

Thanks Troy, I'm really glad to see you back. i was worried about you!! BTW thanks for the kind words. I saw your updates......very nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 5918404)
I could really use a Tig Welder at times. Will you be buying one soon?

I've been eyeing one a buddy has that has a lot of the bells and whistles. Shannon brought this one home for me to try. I really don't need one right now, but if it's a deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5918537)
I would love to get a TIG welder. I had looked at one of these and almost bought one. I held off for now to finish other items that are more important than getting a new welder now.

https://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal%2...3in1/index.php

These machines can do DC TIG, MIG and Stick. If you are not going to do any Aluminum TIG welding, this is a great machine. I think you can add a spool gun for the MIG to do Aluminum. You would need an AC TIG to do Aluminum correctly.

Thanks for the link and info. I'll check it out. You are correct as far as aluminum goes.

aspiringthomas 03-04-2013 03:58 PM

Re: My 1965 build thread

I like that tailgate. You have a lot of good ideas that I may try on my 65 C10.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3203813)
Thanks Strodder for the link. That looks like it would fit quite well

I couldn't remember for sure if I've seen it before. Since you posted your pix I remember now going thru your thread. Thanks for the pix. Nice work.

;)

There seems to be alot of room for the linkage. There is a big cavity all the way across the top.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/DSC09158.jpg

Alan's Classic 03-31-2013 11:16 PM

Re: My 1965 build thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspiringthomas (Post 5926848)
I like that tailgate. You have a lot of good ideas that I may try on my 65 C10.

Thanks man!! I ended up scraping this TG idea and went with the Mar-K one touch TG. It's a very nice piece.

likaroc13 03-31-2013 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
speaking of tailgates, if you ever decide to do any striping on your truck Alan, something like this would be a classy fit IMO:

Alan's Classic 04-01-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5983943)
speaking of tailgates, if you ever decide to do any striping on your truck Alan, something like this would be a classy fit IMO:

I generally don't care for stripes much, but that is simple and clean. Thanks for the pic and idea.
Posted via Mobile Device

Strodder 04-01-2013 03:58 PM

I boxed mine in to hide all the ugly gaps with the piece I took out of the bed side supports. It made it look a lot cleaner. :metal:

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/1965...1050219-XL.jpg

Alan's Classic 04-08-2013 09:51 PM

I'll keep this short and sweet.

Of all the guys I trained to be a bodyman, one made it. Now he has his own shop and has been open for over a year and growing. I'm very proud of Michael and his accomplishments. We had a long talk today and in a nutshell he wants to offer his shop to me for things I can't do at home to help me like I did him when he started in the industry. It will be helping each other in our quest to provide quality body and paint work and to grow our businesses individually while working together. Who knows what the future holds. His shop is Georgia Mountain Customs located about 8 miles from me in South Jasper So if your needing/wanting me to do some work for you please LMK. We can handle almost anything. Here's his FB page
https://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaMountainCustoms

Now I have access to a paint booth and more room.

daverod 04-09-2013 02:15 PM

Movin on up. nice:five:

aggie91 04-09-2013 02:25 PM

Nice for him to "payback" to someone who helped him get started. I checked out his FB page, looks like he can do some nice work too. Should be a great combination of the two of you...

4dranch 04-09-2013 06:45 PM

Thats great Alan. I wish you both the best.

Strodder 04-09-2013 08:34 PM

I'll say it again. "AWESOME" Wish you guys all the luck. :metal:

flips72 04-10-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 6001787)

x2

Jeff La 04-10-2013 07:40 AM

Good luck Alan, Wish I could afford to get mine done now, bit I gotta wait

McMurphy 04-10-2013 04:48 PM

Hmmmm that sounds like a seriously interesting business idea, a co-op shop.
In the Military we have Auto Craft Centers, and they differ from post to post, but in the good ones, you can:
Rent a bay with or without a lift that comes with an assigned basic tool box (wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, ect) you can check bigger tools out of the tool room, and you get the help of staffed certified mechanics. In the nicer ones you get everything from engine washers, and paint booths, to body prep rooms and total tire mounting/balancing equipment.

I always wanted to get out of the Army and set one of those up (about 25 bays, with 5 or so lifts) just across the street from the largest junk yard in my home town.

Sadly though I suspect the liability insurance would be prohibitive, and that is too bad. These facilities are awesome when you dont have a place or friends to work on your car....

Sounds great for you Alan, I wish you the best of luck with this set up !! Seems like it would be amazing !!! :metal:

Alan's Classic 04-10-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 6001083)
Movin on up. nice:five:

One step at a time. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 6001102)
Nice for him to "payback" to someone who helped him get started. I checked out his FB page, looks like he can do some nice work too. Should be a great combination of the two of you...

I hope so, now I don't have to turn down work as much now. I only want two restorations and some collision work, that's all I can personaly handle by myself right now. He said if he's slow I can work his guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 6001560)
Thats great Alan. I wish you both the best.

Thanks David

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 6001787)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6002602)
x2

:thumbs: X2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6002614)
Good luck Alan, Wish I could afford to get mine done now, bit I gotta wait

I mentioned to him about this forum and the possible work here. I told him most will be out of town. He said he has the equipment to go get it. It's a possiblity, just need the paper work to protect both parties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6003498)
Hmmmm that sounds like a seriously interesting business idea, a co-op shop.
In the Military we have Auto Craft Centers, and they differ from post to post, but in the good ones, you can:
Rent a bay with or without a lift that comes with an assigned basic tool box (wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, ect) you can check bigger tools out of the tool room, and you get the help of staffed certified mechanics. In the nicer ones you get everything from engine washers, and paint booths, to body prep rooms and total tire mounting/balancing equipment.

I always wanted to get out of the Army and set one of those up (about 25 bays, with 5 or so lifts) just across the street from the largest junk yard in my home town.

Sadly though I suspect the liability insurance would be prohibitive, and that is too bad. These facilities are awesome when you dont have a place or friends to work on your car....

Sounds great for you Alan, I wish you the best of luck with this set up !! Seems like it would be amazing !!! :metal:

I lived at the base Hobby Shop when I was in the service. Most needed help when working on their cars.

I saw a commercial down here where someone was doing that in the civilian world. I haven't seen the commercial lately.

JamieGallien 04-16-2013 11:39 AM

I can't believe I read the WHOLE THING! Thanks for all the pics, tips and inspiration! Awesome truck!

Jamie

1965 Chevy C10 SWB Step

McMurphy 04-16-2013 01:14 PM

Man, all these tailgate pics are making me want to get down and start in on mine !!
I gots some plans you see.... LoL

Quote:

I saw a commercial down here where someone was doing that in the civilian world.
Alan do you know the name of this place?
I would like to look them up.

Alan's Classic 04-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieGallien (Post 6015230)
I can't believe I read the WHOLE THING! Thanks for all the pics, tips and inspiration! Awesome truck!

Jamie

1965 Chevy C10 SWB Step

Thanks Jamie for taking the time to read my novel. ;) Also thanks for the kind words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6015406)
Man, all these tailgate pics are making me want to get down and start in on mine !!
I gots some plans you see.... LoL

Alan do you know the name of this place?
I would like to look them up.

Sorry, I don't recall the name of the company. I never looked into them, but thought it was neat. It reminded me of the base hobby shops the way the commercial was. If I ever hear it again I will let you know.

Time to get the truck out and ready for some shows. I also need to finish up a few things.

McMurphy 04-17-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6016372)
If I ever hear it again I will let you know..

Thank you Alan.

Quote:

Time to get the truck out and ready for some shows. I also need to finish up a few things.
Wow I was just thinking this morning about this thread.
It is kind of amazing how, after the all the hard work, and all the "glamor" work is completed, you would assume the thread was done; yet some threads seem to take on a life of their own, like this one.

I swear that as I was thinking of this, I told myself I was going to ask what was next for your truck on my next reply here.
I was also going to ask for a photo of the odometer... been kind of curious to see how many miles you have piled on it and wondering if you still grin when you fire it up !!!

Alan's Classic 04-17-2013 08:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6018169)
Thank you Alan.

Wow I was just thinking this morning about this thread.
It is kind of amazing how, after the all the hard work, and all the "glamor" work is completed, you would assume the thread was done; yet some threads seem to take on a life of their own, like this one.

I swear that as I was thinking of this, I told myself I was going to ask what was next for your truck on my next reply here.
I was also going to ask for a photo of the odometer... been kind of curious to see how many miles you have piled on it and wondering if you still grin when you fire it up !!!

I want to wait till pollen season is over before I get it out. I don't know if all the country deals with pine pollen like here in the southeast. It's a mess. When it rains the run off turns yellow.

I also included a pic of the odometer that I took tonight.

As long as I own this truck the thread will continue. ;)

Ta2Don 04-17-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6018407)

As long as I own this truck the thread will continue. ;)

Glad to read this, one of my first and favorite builds to check out since finding this little slice of paradise... Great Job!
:mm:

shortbed70 04-17-2013 11:17 PM

Hey Alan hope it all works out.. I wish you guys all the best and congrats on getting some new blood up and running Wish I could find a plaec like that and someone that liked to do body work! I think I hae more miles on mine than you do...LOL

Alan's Classic 04-20-2013 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6018548)
Glad to read this, one of my first and favorite builds to check out since finding this little slice of paradise... Great Job!
:mm:

Thanks Don!! I've still got things to finish and hopefully I can chip away at them this year when I'm not working on other projects. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 6018762)
Hey Alan hope it all works out.. I wish you guys all the best and congrats on getting some new blood up and running Wish I could find a plaec like that and someone that liked to do body work! I think I hae more miles on mine than you do...LOL

You probably do have more on yours than I do. Maybe that will change this year. Network with people, you never know what might pop up.

I knocked the dust off of it and went to my first cruise this year. It was a beautiful day to do it. It ran great. Shannon rode home with me. Maybe that will light his fire some more. ;) The compression heater hoses that I made held so far. granted it was a 65* day. Lets see when the days are in the 90's.

I was pretty busy answering peoples questions and listening to their comments. It was a great day, that's all I really need to say. ;)

shortbed70 04-21-2013 11:18 PM

Man Alan I may have more miles on mine but your shows better than mine!! That thing looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

likaroc13 04-22-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6024587)
[COLOR="Blue"]
I knocked the dust off of it and went to my first cruise this year. It was a beautiful day to do it. It ran great. Shannon rode home with me. Maybe that will light his fire some more. ;) The compression heater hoses that I made held so far. granted it was a 65* day. Lets see when the days are in the 90's.

I was pretty busy answering peoples questions and listening to their comments. It was a great day, that's all I really need to say. ;)

Great to see it out & about, with you getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor! And I can't imagine anybody wanting to talk about Vitamin C-10. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 05-18-2013 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We drove in the Ball Ground parade today. Pic is complements of Shannon. Thanks buddy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 05-18-2013 02:15 PM

Looking Good! :uhmk:

likaroc13 05-18-2013 02:27 PM

Good to see you out having fun with it!

Palf70Step 05-18-2013 02:54 PM

Very Nice Alan!

Alan's Classic 05-18-2013 10:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 6026559)
Man Alan I may have more miles on mine but your shows better than mine!! That thing looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Troy!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6026736)
Great to see it out & about, with you getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor! And I can't imagine anybody wanting to talk about Vitamin C-10. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6077829)
Looking Good! :uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6077840)
Good to see you out having fun with it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 6077874)
Very Nice Alan!

Thank Guys!!

The funny thing during the parade was a lady (I knew) ask where was the candy? I told her I brought the eye candy. :haha:

A few more

Bomp 05-18-2013 10:54 PM

Nice lookin' truck. Gives me wanting to get out to the shop and get working on Bompenstein some more.

Thanks for the motivation.

Ta2Don 05-18-2013 11:06 PM

The funny thing during the parade was a lady (I knew) ask where was the candy? I told her I brought the eye candy. :haha:

Candy? Really!!! Personally the quality of this Eye Candy probably sent me into a diabetic fit!!! ;););)
Just Kidding! One of my Favorites here! :metal:

Strodder 05-18-2013 11:50 PM

Awesome :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Dinos63 05-20-2013 01:47 AM

very cool!!

Jmorales3181 05-20-2013 06:34 AM

Very nice! One CLEAN truck you have there!:chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

CRGRS 66 05-20-2013 10:06 PM

Stunningly beautiful!

shortbed70 05-27-2013 08:48 AM

Yea buddy... Looking good.
Posted via Mobile Device

flips72 05-29-2013 04:47 PM

very nice, glad to see ya enjoying all your hard work. building some great memories with girls too I see.