The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

'68OrangeSunshine 01-14-2024 02:49 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 twins (Post 9276446)
I went with 1.84 and 1.6 valves. After reading Leo Santucci's book(2nd edition) quite a bit I came to the conclusion that for a street driven truck this is going to be the best solution. Just a couple quotes from the book. Pg 107 "the head-bolt boss in the middle of the intake ports should be shaped like a wing, but left in place." And Pg 117 "for pure street use and mileage, a 1.80 diameter intake valve is best. The exhaust is 1.60 diameter in either case."
I think you already have the book. If not buy it, read it several times over the next year, then make your decisions. Lol

Sweet. That's what I did on my 2005 292 build. I rebuilt the original L25 that came in the '68 Fremont Stepside when I bought it in 1973.
In 1977 I rebuilt a MY '67 block to .030-over,but all stock, or GM parts HD, if available. That engine fran 250,000 miles in 25 years.
OBTW, 1.84'' valves are stock for the SBC 307 iirc.

That's an interesting quote from Leo. I only have the first edition.
Lump Ports were the snazzy dog trick of the period.
About 20-something years ago, I was in Daytona talking with Twisted 6, who was promoting Lump Ports. But I must admit taking away those support columns, replacing them with countersunk flush bolts, epoxying airflow Lumps down, and getting machined set screws to fit the holes left on the top of the head, is a machinist's pipe dream [and your high bill.]

I will have to get the Second Edition.
:chevy:

'68OrangeSunshine 01-14-2024 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaX522 (Post 9276419)
Cool, so each intake port is shared by 2 cylinders? I’ll have to check out an inline 6 head next time I see one. Interesting!

But only one at a time. 1 - 2/ 3 - 4/ 5 - 6.
Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4.

67 twins 01-14-2024 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9276551)
Sweet. That's what I did on my 2005 292 build. I rebuilt the original L25 that came in the '68 Fremont Stepside when I bought it in 1973.
In 1977 I rebuilt a MY '67 block to .030-over,but all stock, or GM parts HD, if available. That engine fran 250,000 miles in 25 years.
OBTW, 1.84'' valves are stock for the SBC 307 iirc.

That's an interesting quote from Leo. I only have the first edition.
Lump Ports were the snazzy dog trick of the period.
About 20-something years ago, I was in Daytona talking with Twisted 6, who was promoting Lump Ports. But I must admit taking away those support columns, replacing them with countersunk flush bolts, epoxying airflow Lumps down, and getting machined set screws to fit the holes left on the top of the head, is a machinist's pipe dream [and your high bill.]

I will have to get the Second Edition.
:chevy:

Both of those quotes are in regards to a street driven truck. For street/strip or racing the lump ports are still the way to go. Unless of course you can afford to cut & weld two SBC heads together. But that takes deep pockets because everything has to change.

'68OrangeSunshine 01-14-2024 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 twins (Post 9276595)
Both of those quotes are in regards to a street driven truck. For street/strip or racing the lump ports are still the way to go. Unless of course you can afford to cut & weld two SBC heads together. But that takes deep pockets because everything has to change.

Larry Page, [Twisted 6] is a racer. So is Leo Santucci. Page said the Lump Ports improve performance thru all speed regimes. [Including cruise, I guess.] But the reliability and the complicated machining procedures make it a gamble for me.
I'm not a racer.
Glad to know of the new Airfoil/Column trick.

novaX522 01-14-2024 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9276553)

Yeah, I didn’t think they would have the cylinders fighting each other for air. It seems like an effective way to utilize the space available.

novaX522 01-14-2024 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 twins (Post 9276595)

These guys are racing with inline 6s? How fast are they?

novaX522 01-14-2024 10:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by novaX522 (Post 9276044)
No kidding on the paint! I got several cans of self etching primer, a can of clear, and a couple cans of dupli color silver. It was $75, yikes. It will all get used eventually, but that’s ridiculous. Hell, I remember when it was 99 cents a can.

Got the tires dismounted and started bead blasting a wheel. It’s coming out great, but gonna take a while. I’m bringing my ear buds tomorrow so I can listen to some podcasts to kill the time.

Got the wheels primered and painted. They came out really nice. Now I have to clean the lug nuts and center caps.

novaX522 01-14-2024 11:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Before and after

67 twins 01-15-2024 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9276553)

Except the pairing is 1&2-3&4-5&6

'68OrangeSunshine 01-15-2024 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 twins (Post 9276769)
Except the pairing is 1&2-3&4-5&6

Well yeah. I used spaced dashes to indicate pairings, and / slashes to indicate seperation.

novaX522 01-15-2024 06:55 PM

I had painted the back of the wheels black, I was being cheap with the paint. I kept seeing dark shadows on the front side. May not be visible when on the truck, but I didn’t take chances. I sprayed the backside silver.

novaX522 01-15-2024 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Photos

Extended Power 01-15-2024 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New Ringbrothers glove box lid picked up, and installed today.

67 twins 01-16-2024 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9276848)
Well yeah. I used spaced dashes to indicate pairings, and / slashes to indicate seperation.

Oh OK

hdrolling 01-17-2024 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Put it on some rollers and pushed baby in the corner, too cold to drive without heat so I needed to make room so the kids don't drag their school bags across it while walking by. The HF wheel dollies work great for something like this.

novaX522 01-18-2024 12:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tonight I measured and got my new hitch placed and marked where I want it. Started drilling the holes in the frame and found the final drill bit I needed was tweaked. So, I will get some new bits tomorrow and finish mounting the hitch.

Extended Power 01-20-2024 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Replaced the 60lb oil pressure gauge with an Autometer 0 to 100 electric.
Had yo modify the back of the instrument panel, but I think it turned out as good as it could trying to still look stock.

3757chevy 01-20-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extended Power (Post 9278444)
Had yo modify the back of the instrument panel, but I think it turned out as good as it could trying to still look stock.

Nice . What did you have to modify , any pictures?

Extended Power 01-20-2024 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9278457)
Nice . What did you have to modify , any pictures?

I used a 2" holesaw to cut the hole, after careful measuring, as the Autometer is in fact only a 2" gauge.
Taking the back cover off the vacuum and oil pressure gauge, I removed the oil pressure gauge by just removing the nut on the back of the sender oil line.
The gauge I removed was brand new, and the oil pressure of the new engine destroyed it. (Yhe bourdon tube tried to straighten out with the pressure...the result is in the first picture...shows almost 40 psi with no pressure applied.
Anyways....
Once the hole was drilled, I filed it just enough to allow the gauge to be tight all the way around, so I didn't need anything to hold it in place.
The gauge sits right up against the instrument panel lens...no other modifications needed.
I cut down the brass studs, as they will not be used in this application.

Extended Power 01-20-2024 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed, and lights tried out inside the shop.

Gear indicator light is ridiculously bright.

3757chevy 01-20-2024 08:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Extended Power (Post 9278462)
I used a 2" holesaw to cut the hole, after careful measuring, as the Autometer is in fact only a 2" gauge.
Taking the back cover off the vacuum and oil pressure gauge, I removed the oil pressure gauge by just removing the nut on the back of the sender oil line.
The gauge I removed was brand new, and the oil pressure of the new engine destroyed it. (Yhe bourdon tube tried to straighten out with the pressure...the result is in the first picture...shows almost 40 psi with no pressure applied.
Anyways....
Once the hole was drilled, I filed it just enough to allow the gauge to be tight all the way around, so I didn't need anything to hold it in place.
The gauge sits right up against the instrument panel lens...no other modifications needed.
I cut down the brass studs, as they will not be used in this application.

Cool, very nice . I did something similar in the '67 I used to have with all the gauges and tach. Vacuum gauge didn't have the same style face.

novaX522 01-20-2024 11:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the brakes bled.
I had to remove the 2” ball in the bumper to clear the new hitch I installed. So I cut the shank to fit and reinstalled the ball.
Then found a good place to mount the brake controller.

Steeveedee 01-20-2024 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extended Power (Post 9278444)

Looks nice. How much oil pressure does that monster engine have? My truck's engine was rebuilt about 40 years and 100k miles back, and it pegs the stock gauge when cold, with 10/30 oil. I'm not sure I want to crawl into the beast and pull the instrument cluster out anytime soon, though. I'd have to do it all outside in the weather.

Extended Power 01-21-2024 01:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9278575)
Looks nice. How much oil pressure does that monster engine have? My truck's engine was rebuilt about 40 years and 100k miles back, and it pegs the stock gauge when cold, with 10/30 oil. I'm not sure I want to crawl into the beast and pull the instrument cluster out anytime soon, though. I'd have to do it all outside in the weather.

At an idle, just over 70 psi. Higher with rpm. (Of course)
Since I had no idea what the pressure was, I really didn’t want the gauge to fail, and have oil all over the new carpet.
Just much cleaner...no oil in the cab.

Steeveedee 01-21-2024 06:39 PM

Thanks! I think about that oil line occasionally, but it hasn't leaked in all these years. The General has a good design, there.

'68OrangeSunshine 01-21-2024 07:13 PM

I was told by a friend my '71 Jimmy's RH Brake light was burned out.
It sure was. The dual filament 1157 bulb was totally black inside. No Tail light, or Turn Signals either. Also it fought me tooth-and-nail coming out. I had to unbolt the Taillight fixture, after twisting the burnt glass bulb out, take off the clipped-on pigtail, and punch out the brass collar. I put new 1157 long life bulbs in both taillights, and washed the inside dust off the red lenses. Works good now.
Also the Headlight Brights Dimmer Switch was burned out. Only Dim lights worked. Stomp again, and it went dark.
It was an O'Reilly part, and had a ''Lifetime Warranty.'' I had just replaced it in March '23. I cannibalised the old one out of my fallow-lying '67 K/10 Suburban. Dormant for ~25 years it works great. Meanwhile, I got a fresh replacement Dimmer Switch from ORAP under warranty. Not sure if I will put that switch on the Jimmy and keep the good Vintage part in the glovebox.
O'Reilly's Chinese repops don't last long.

pjmoreland 01-23-2024 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9278811)
I was told by a friend my '71 Jimmy's RH Brake light was burned out.
It sure was. The dual filament 1157 bulb was totally black inside. No Tail light, or Turn Signals either. Also it fought me tooth-and-nail coming out. I had to unbolt the Taillight fixture, after twisting the burnt glass bulb out, take off the clipped-on pigtail, and punch out the brass collar. I put new 1157 long life bulbs in both taillights, and washed the inside dust off the red lenses. Works good now.
Also the Headlight Brights Dimmer Switch was burned out. Only Dim lights worked. Stomp again, and it went dark.
It was an O'Reilly part, and had a ''Lifetime Warranty.'' I had just replaced it in March '23. I cannibalised the old one out of my fallow-lying '67 K/10 Suburban. Dormant for ~25 years it works great. Meanwhile, I got a fresh replacement Dimmer Switch from ORAP under warranty. Not sure if I will put that switch on the Jimmy and keep the good Vintage part in the glovebox.
O'Reilly's Chinese repops don't last long.

I wonder if they think the "Lifetime Warranty" is an adequate substitute for good quality. I'm glad you got your lights sorted out.

I followed this thread and installed an electric fan in my truck. Pulled it out of a 2002 Jeep Liberty. I didn't realize how noisy that clutch fan actually was. My main motivation was to fix an RPM-based fan vibration. Here's a video of the electric fan running. I have it set to turn on at 205° and turn back off at 195°. It's being controlled by the Sniper.

MS66 01-23-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaX522 (Post 9276694)
Got the wheels primered and painted. They came out really nice. Now I have to clean the lug nuts and center caps.

What paint did you use? Several years ago Dupli Color had a paint called Steel Wheels (WP316) that looked great on rally wheels, it was discontinued long ago. Before I found that paint, I used a silver metallic paint off the touch up paint rack. It was GM van and truck paint, can't remember the number on it, but it looked good on ralleys too. Haven't painted ralley wheels in a long time, need to redo the ones on a couple square bodies, just haven't been motivated with the cost of paint these days. That can of touch up paint was less than $5 back then, it's $17 now. :waah:

MS66 01-23-2024 08:24 PM

What I did today was ride in my truck. Showed it off to a few old guys that enjoyed talking about it. Then I rode some more. I love this truck. :ito:

'68OrangeSunshine 01-23-2024 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9279465)
I wonder if they think the "Lifetime Warranty" is an adequate substitute for good quality. I'm glad you got your lights sorted out.

I followed this thread and installed an electric fan in my truck. Pulled it out of a 2002 Jeep Liberty. I didn't realize how noisy that clutch fan actually was. My main motivation was to fix an RPM-based fan vibration. Here's a video of the electric fan running. I have it set to turn on at 205° and turn back off at 195°. It's being controlled by the Sniper.

Either that, or some ''Marketing Genius'' decided repeat failures would get people into the store more often to buy other stuff.
Probably the same guy who figured if supermarkets change the layout of their store more often, the shopper will be presented with other purchasing options they wouldn't see if they just kept coming to the same aisle to get their regular stuff every time. Usually by the time you found what items you're looking for, you find the prices went up to cover the move. Collossal waste of time, IMO.

They are quite unpopular now, but I have Flex Fans on both my 292 L6 and 350 V8. No fan clutch at all. Keeping them. [Lifetime Warranty, too.] Very popular in the Late '70s.
Don't care for Internet Experts' opinions.

Cheers, Pat. Raining cats 'n' dogs here.

novaX522 01-23-2024 11:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MS66 (Post 9279469)
What paint did you use? Several years ago Dupli Color had a paint called Steel Wheels (WP316) that looked great on rally wheels, it was discontinued long ago. Before I found that paint, I used a silver metallic paint off the touch up paint rack. It was GM van and truck paint, can't remember the number on it, but it looked good on ralleys too. Haven't painted ralley wheels in a long time, need to redo the ones on a couple square bodies, just haven't been motivated with the cost of paint these days. That can of touch up paint was less than $5 back then, it's $17 now. :waah:

Here’s the paint I used.

novaX522 01-23-2024 11:33 PM

It’s $12.50 a can. Like everything else, outrageous.
In spite of the cost, I do like the paint.

novaX522 01-23-2024 11:34 PM

It’s $12.50 a can. Like everything else, outrageous.
In spite of the cost, I do like the paint.

MS66 01-24-2024 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novax522 (Post 9279525)
it’s $12.50 a can. Like everything else, outrageous.
In spite of the cost, i do like the paint.

10-4.

Danyo492 01-26-2024 12:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Painted the frame for my 67 C10 tonight. Uses Sweet Patina’s “Black Out” frame paint. Brushed it on and pretty impressed with the finish and how well it laid down.

Not sure why my photos are uploading turned like that. Apologize in advance to your necks lol

LNP 01-26-2024 11:12 AM

Looks nice!

Extended Power 01-27-2024 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cut, and modified the shift lever that came with the CPP tilt column, so I could use the new billet shift lever.
Polished it up nice.

Extended Power 01-27-2024 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to installing the billet door handles.
Went with the brushed look, as it’s easy to “fix” any scratches or other rub marks...just use a piece of scotch brite.

Extended Power 01-27-2024 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Used Velcro to stick up the headliner I bought a few weeks ago.
After watching the video of the install from Brothers Truck, I didn’t wanna cut slots in the cab for all clips...plus, seeing the results on here from others who installed theirs without the trim, I thought it looked cleaner too.

Steeveedee 01-27-2024 10:49 PM

Looks nice from here! I bought the trim because mine came factory with the headliner. I had to plug the holes with something! :)