The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

chewychevy67 05-03-2022 09:41 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by CS1972 (Post 9073567)
Dealer emblem + Neodymium (.5"L x .25"W x .06" thick, 1 magnet: 2lb pull) = my truck show emblem which I can remove whenever.

Can we see a picture of the magnet? I like this idea

Ol Blue K20 05-03-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 9074578)
can we see a picture of the magnet? I like this idea

x2

Nima 05-04-2022 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting closer to finish line:

72c20customcamper 05-04-2022 05:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed the new axle bearing and seals . All the bearings are American made the grease seals were made in Mexico still better than China . I Also did the carrier bearings so much easier when you put the carrier in the -25 chest freezer for two days and heat the bearings up to 250 . Just slides together that’s frost on the ring gear .

67C10Step 05-06-2022 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got primer on my inner fenders last weekend and yesterday took the time to put some paint on the under hood sides.

72c20customcamper 05-06-2022 05:09 PM

Went to put the carrier in and after inspecting the right side shims they look like they were beat in with a punch and sledge hammer left was a thick solid spacer and it was cracked . I had noticed that the backlash was very excessive when I took it apart . I'm thinking it had slop the carrier bearings and someone beat a few shims to the right side tightning the bearings but causing the excessive backlash and put strain on the left bearing which finally failed.

So I bought a shim pack today and going to assemble tomorrow. Did the pinion bearings today ,the old ones looked good but better safe than sorry .

72c20customcamper 05-07-2022 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Calling it good 12 thousands for used gears is in the ballpark . When I took it apart it must have been 40 to 50 thousands lots of backlash

Phillip Owings 05-08-2022 12:26 AM

1972 C20 took apart the drivers side rear Brake Wheel Cylinder to clean up and a new Master cylinder came in today so will be installing it Soon.

FleetsidePaul 05-08-2022 01:35 AM

I sprayed WD40 on my crusty rear bumper brackets. ( All I had) Let that soak in. They've been there 50 years. Hopefully I can crack them and not have to break out the torch.

Shiny new bumper is on it's way. :) Thanks GMC Paul.

Paul. That's a nice name. I knew a guy named Paul. Oh wait a minute. That was me. Nevermind :crazy:

Jiggers72-GMC 05-08-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9076465)
Calling it good 12 thousands for used gears is in the ballpark . When I took it apart it must have been 40 to 50 thousands lots of backlash

Well done on the backlash, maybe go one more step and check the tooth contact pattern ........

Rich72C10 05-08-2022 01:41 PM

Thanks to global warming and early HOT weather getting at or new the 100s already (which I am sure none of us are helping with out old trucks) I adjusted my idle for AC and shut off the heater water via my heater valve.

I think it was a smart move to put in that valve...

Ekliptix 05-08-2022 02:54 PM

Got it on a lift in my new garage. Still working to get all my crap up on shelves to free up the floor space.

https://i.imgur.com/WYvKS3Wh.jpg

72c20customcamper 05-08-2022 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 9076849)
Thanks to global warming and early HOT weather getting at or new the 100s already (which I am sure none of us are helping with out old trucks) I adjusted my idle for AC and shut off the heater water via my heater valve.

I think it was a smart move to put in that valve...

Mid 40s yesterday and 55 today . Early April weather here

69Penka 05-08-2022 10:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Painted my front and rear bumpers white..

allchevy58 05-08-2022 11:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed lift kit a couple weeks ago, my friend that painted the truck painted my new wheels and I installed new tires.

CastIron 05-09-2022 12:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I washed, then buffed out the original paint on the front of my truck today. Then I took it for a short drive.

Sheepdip 05-09-2022 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A while back I put new cab mounts on Otis, never understood why someone would go to all the trouble to pull the cab, paint it then re-install it on the old broken-down cab mounts? Maybe it's just me, anyway after the install I took it over to a fellow to completely re-align the doors, fenders and hood which he did a slam dunk job. Very thorough.

He also installed the missing rear inner fender bolts (one each side) that connects to the forward cab area.
After I picked up the truck, I had this definite pronounced clunk right underneath my clutch foot heel whenever the frame would flex from turning, pothole, approach etc. that was not there before.

It was about to drive me crazy trying to pinpoint it, I finally noticed that the sheet metal formed for the horn that the inner fender bolts to was just folded/mated together with no apparent welding spot or otherwise, so I drove a shim in it, and the clunk was no longer there. Bingo! Now I could slightly hear one on the passenger side but not as pronounced.

Got underneath and wire brushed down to bare metal, c-clamped it back together and welded the outer lip of what appeared to be about two 12 ga lips together both sides of the truck...whisper quiet now popping is all gone.

I borrowed this pic from another thread to show you the area I'm referring to.

NoStopN 05-10-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Penka (Post 9077009)
Painted my front and rear bumpers white..

That's the kind of rear bumper I'd like to have for my truck. These "universal" bumpers from restoration sites look like they came from a Ford. Does anybody know of a company that sells something that looks like this?

72c20customcamper 05-10-2022 09:09 PM

Took the 68 out put 50 miles on it . Ran great handles well only problem I ran into was the starter. Starts great cold won’t turn over hot nothing nada zip . Not even a click . Turned on the headlights had my friend hit the start and the lights go way dim battery tests good . Let it cool and starts right up. Ordered a new one be here Friday

BASE 05-10-2022 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep moving backwards. I really want to restore my truck to it's original 'medium blue poly' someday, and I decided it would be easier to get the firewall before I put the new engine back in... so now she's got a medium blue poly firewall.

Already Gone 05-14-2022 08:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After procrastinating for the last 3 years and having no carpet in my truck as figured the minute the carpet was installed the 50 year core would start leaking and considering the fact of a new engine going in and redone rad the heater core would be the weak link in the cooling chain. So today started the Heater Core removal process. You have to take out the inner fender to get access to 2 of the 4 bolts that hold the core housing in place. The inner fender removal would be much easier if the truck was on a hoist. Tomorrow the core is coming out.

KQQL IT 05-14-2022 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
5 yrs since I bought the truck.
Mystery battery died
No date code I could see on it.

cab4word67 05-15-2022 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 9079110)
After procrastinating for the last 3 years and having no carpet in my truck as figured the minute the carpet was installed the 50 year core would start leaking and considering the fact of a new engine going in and redone rad the heater core would be the weak link in the cooling chain. So today started the Heater Core removal process. You have to take out the inner fender to get access to 2 of the 4 bolts that hold the core housing in place. The inner fender removal would be much easier if the truck was on a hoist. Tomorrow the core is coming out.

I know the feeling, had to relpace my core on the 67 after it was all painted. But feel lucky, my 72 Buick Skylark required the fender to be removed.

Already Gone 05-15-2022 12:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KQQL IT (Post 9079141)
5 yrs since I bought the truck.
Mystery battery died
No date code I could see on it.

I just pulled 2 of those Centennial Batterys out of my 1999 Cop Tahoe and replaced with new Kirkland ones, best price and no hassle warranty. I pulled them from another California Cop Tahoe I bought in 2012 and like yours no date code on them. They were still putting out 12.86 volts but being that old anything can happen. I park the Tahoe from October till April and always leave batterys on Battery Tenders.

hdrolling 05-15-2022 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed rear shock relocation brackets, new adjustable pan hard bar. New 5" springs and removing the rivets now to install a C-Notch. Love my air hammer!