The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

65C105.9Cummins 01-17-2012 03:13 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Taking my 84 3/4 ton suspension off the old frame to clean up.
Measuring how far back my fire wall needs to be to make sure the head will clear.:chevy:

Johnny Too Bad 01-18-2012 01:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It was pretty cold again today here in Denver (7 degrees this morning and about 18 degrees tonight), but I was still able to get a few things done. Started sanding last night with 150 and finished up tonight with 220. Just have to fill in a couple of dings and re-fill the mirror holes in the doors that the PO tried to fix. Then, I plan to lay down some black primer. Gotta wait for some better weather.

Speaking of mirrors, I pulled the big rectangular mirrors that look like they came off of some later model tri-pods and will replace them with small rounds. The PO said he used the bigger mirrors so that he could see around the spare tire on the DS carrier. I pulled the spare and removed the bracket. I plan to fill in the hole in the spare tire cutout and carry the spare in the bed, so the small round mirrors should be fine.

I also installed the seat I found out of a '61 at the pick-and-pull.

Next step is getting plates at the DMV tomorrow and taking it to a buddy's shop on Saturday to fix a rear main leak.

MisterC 01-19-2012 09:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to quit driving it for a while and do some work on it.

I removed the seat and the wrong carpet that the PO had installed. I was pleasantly surprised to see the condition of the floorpan and the original mat.

Next step is to replace the leaking fuel neck hose. Outside of being a contortionist, does anyone have an easy way to get in there and tighten the clamps on those?

aerotruk63 01-19-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuellg1977 (Post 5127956)
SOLD IT!!! Sam

You do what you have to do, then build a better one later! But that one's memory will always be with you. Glad to hear your sticking around.

losthope 01-19-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

SOLD IT!!! Times are getting hard around the old homestead, so the truck (the only thing I owned of any kind of value) had to take the long ride. I will get anohter one someday, but right now, bills and other things take precidence. Eh, what can ya do? I will hang around til I get ran away. I like talking with you guys and helping where I can. Thanks for all the help you all gave me when I was gettin the old girl rollin.

Sam

That sucks to hear! But sometimes crap happens, Im sure youll end up finding another one when the time is right,there seems to always be a good deal on a truck every now and then ,take me finding my 66 after i wrecked my 65 for instance....they are out there. I dont think anyone here will run you off seems to be like one big family here once your in.....truckless or not..

losthope 01-19-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterC (Post 5133796)

Next step is to replace the leaking fuel neck hose. Outside of being a contortionist, does anyone have an easy way to get in there and tighten the clamps on those?

when i took my gas tank out to clean it i pulled the tank and the whole filler tube out as a unit,i forgot to mark where everything was tightened together when i took it apart so i set it back in and mocked it up where the filler tube looked like it was sticking out of the cab nicely and then reached up on the inside marked where both the top and bottom of the rubber hose was with a sharpie, pulled it all out and clamped it all together and slide it back into place through the rubber grommet sticking out of the cab....

awbrown 01-19-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

SOLD IT!!! Times are getting hard around the old homestead, so the truck (the only thing I owned of any kind of value) had to take the long ride. I will get anohter one someday, but right now, bills and other things take precidence. Eh, what can ya do? I will hang around til I get ran away. I like talking with you guys and helping where I can. Thanks for all the help you all gave me when I was gettin the old girl rollin.

Sam

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO say it is not so ....

MisterC 01-19-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthope (Post 5133854)
pulled it all out and clamped it all together and slide it back into place through the rubber grommet sticking out of the cab....

Perfect! Sometimes I get tunnel vision and I never considered that obvious move. Thank you!

66ChevyMax 01-19-2012 11:45 PM

Blew off the dust from Monday's dust storm PITB.

Rich 5150 69 01-20-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Sam

I`m sorry for your misfortune, hope you stay with us, man I hate to see a fellow have to give up his ride.

doobiebro 01-20-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Sam

Sam been down that road with my 62...You will find another someday for sure. My latest truck (60) is my newest project (3rd truck) I acquired 8 years but determine to have it running this summer. Times are getting hard but slowly and surely my truck will get done.....

samuellg1977 01-21-2012 12:46 AM

Thanks for all the kind words. I will get to finish it, but in another man's name. The guy I sold it to asked me to finish the truck for his wife and gave me a budget of $10K to get it done. I don't think it will take that much IMHO, all the hard work has been done... now, just to make it pretty. New hood, fenders all around, newly remodeled interior and a turn-key 350 TPI motor are on the list... Wish me luck. Kinda hard to turn wrenches on it knowing it isn't mine anymore and I have no real say in what goes on or in it. I should have passed on the offer, but I really need the money right now. He is a pretty cool guy though. I say "I need" and he whips out cash and says "Go get it" and has yet to question me about anything (so far). I guess it could be worse. I could've totalled it out after years of work and dumping tons of cash in it only to get raked over the coals by my insurance company. Oh well, enough rambling. Thanks again.

Sam

awbrown 01-21-2012 12:52 AM

Sam , you may have a good start on your next truck if you convince him to replace all the panels...lol

Good luck and I am sure things will get better for you ....

mud.man.rj 01-21-2012 01:09 AM

Sorry to hear you had to let your truck go, but at least you have some extra work and cash to help pay for things, I did the same in the past to a now friend and it made all the difference in getting things back in order over a few years, so finally got the same truck back just a fem montha ago, thats what hard work will do, good luck, it will turn around for sure man.:thumbs:

Narxoleptic Customs 01-21-2012 08:59 AM

Painted the door jambs...

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/photo5-4.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

protrash64 01-21-2012 09:55 AM

Sanded the roof of my 'burb.:thud:

gofastnut 01-21-2012 02:11 PM

198plus, REALLY digging the color!!

mustangchef 01-21-2012 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I trugged through the snow up to the barn and looked at it and dreamed

GMR-PERFORMANCE 01-21-2012 04:32 PM

fought with door straps that are a pos from LMC. trying to find oem parts top use the rubbers and rods from the new and rebuild the old ones.:(

64shortbox 01-21-2012 07:05 PM

GMR-Performance,
You need to get the front door checks off a Square body Jeep Cherokee. They're a direct bolt in and and fairly plentiful at the local Pick N Pulls etc. To get the checks off the Cherokee you only need a small hammer and a punch to drive out the roll pin (same size that's on your truck) a small knife to cut the plastic moisture shield behind the door panel, a flat blade & phillips screw driver and a 10 MM wrench (box wrench or 1/4" drive ratchet) if the Cherokee has roll up windows just grab the handles and yank - they pull right off no clips or anything.
Here's a link to check it all out:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446066

markeb01 01-21-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE (Post 5137114)
fought with door straps that are a pos from LMC. trying to find oem parts top use the rubbers and rods from the new and rebuild the old ones.:(

I also installed new aftermarket replacement door checks. After a very short time the stop washer at the end of the link split in two and the check failed. Fortunately I had a good grip on the door handle and didn't damage the door. I pulled it out and discovered the new link had a tiny round stop washer (between the rubber bumper and the cotter pin). I substituted the original heavy square washer off the old/original link and that lasted just fine until I could source NOS links from Ebay.

Although the NOS checks continue to work perfectly, I would have preferred the Jeep parts instead but wasn't aware of that option at the time.

64shortbox 01-22-2012 02:01 PM

That's what I love about this forum. I have learned so much from here & everyone is so willing to share their knowledge. I haven't figures out a darn thing on these trucks but I remember what others have figured out. I save it all to my "Truck Ideas" folder and it is jammed full of neat useful information.

GMR-PERFORMANCE 01-22-2012 04:10 PM

Very true it is great to get so many ideas and opinions on what they did or tried and how it ended up.

I am going to try to find a jeep set as well. I am there and would rather do it right the first time.. But hey Mark you know me if it's not right , make it right at all costs HA HA

4 years in this monster once done al I have to do is put one small ding in a panel so I can get that over with LMAO!!! I sat in the vehicle today when the wife went into the store, watched people ding others doors and fenders.. glad I can still walk from the other side of the parking lot...

CSoliz 01-22-2012 06:47 PM

I finally get to post in this thread again. Yesterday I cut my frame in half and today I started to weld it back together until I ran out of wire. Feels good to get back on it.

ljackson 01-22-2012 06:48 PM

Got the rest of asphalt undercoat off my front inner fenders. What a pain. Soaked with ATF. Sat for a week, scraped with a HF Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool. Got most of it off. Soaked with Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil let it sit for 2 days. O'reilly's had it half price. Not much good for anything else. Scraped again with a HF Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool and putty knife. Pressure washed. Scrubbed with de-greaser. The guy that put it on around 1964 liked it heavy. Too tired to post pics. Tomorrow. Gonna take a nap.

Can't find my "before" pics. Here's after:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSCN0072.JPG

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/DSCN0073.JPG

jbgroby 01-22-2012 07:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Picked up some goodies from the painter today!!!! HE took back the fenders to redo the front section, we made a mistake and brought the black out too far. Will get those back next week and I can bolt up the front clip.

The next batch will be the Bumpers, Barbell and Hood.

66ChevyMax 01-22-2012 08:03 PM

Blew more dust off after a 14 hour dust storm :((((
Posted via Mobile Device

fryer1979 01-23-2012 10:45 PM

Got pulled over the other night in the snow storm for having no tail lights. Fortunately I didn't get a ticket, but this morning I finally got a chance to take her back out to the shop. Got one more thing on the fix-it list once the weather clears.

:smoke:

markeb01 01-24-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljackson (Post 5139188)
Got the rest of asphalt undercoat off my front inner fenders. What a pain. Soaked with ATF. Sat for a week, scraped with a HF Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool. Got most of it off. Soaked with Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil let it sit for 2 days. O'reilly's had it half price. Not much good for anything else. Scraped again with a HF Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool and putty knife. Pressure washed. Scrubbed with de-greaser. The guy that put it on around 1964 liked it heavy. Too tired to post pics. Tomorrow. Gonna take a nap.

Well the bright side is it sure seemed to preserve the metal in good condition.

I had the same issue long ago with a 57 Chevy sedan I was building. The PO applied about 1/4" of undercoater in the trunk! Took almost a month of evenings with a wire wheel and scrapers to get all the gooey mess off.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/1...stocktrunk.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/261...ubbedtrunk.jpg

towersddg9 01-26-2012 10:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some before and after as I wait for my set of headers from summit, then starting on the down hill side of this build

mud.man.rj 01-28-2012 08:18 PM

Suspension looks good but dash and interior, wow what a difference a bit of color /gauges and a wheel make, nice.

Sneaux 01-28-2012 09:03 PM

Put some disc brakes on the old 66 and sanding her down for paint.

Raidersfan78 01-29-2012 12:03 PM

Mounted my Captainfab powersteering adapter bracket on my 66 c-10 which worked great. I have alot more work to do, I am trying to get it ready for rod run in tennessee. Didn't make it last year so this year is my goal!

tincan1966 01-29-2012 08:53 PM

Today I disassembled the front clip again, this time into individual pieces. Will start making new radiator support soon, as well as making the hood flip pieces. Ordered the pieces to make the rear quarter patches and a set of front fenders. Mostly sheet metal work now,most everything else has been mocked up. I need to really get going to be able to get this thing on the road this summer.

MisterC 01-30-2012 09:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the 67-72 sport bumper mounted. While I was hesitant about straying from the stock bumper, I'm sure glad I did. Nothing like some shiny chrome to take your mind off of the lack of progress in other areas.;)

pdxhall 01-30-2012 09:39 PM

The bumper looks great MisterC. That's the one I'm going to use except painted. I like them better than the 60-66 sport bumpers. It gets the license plate out of the way of the tailgate.

62 mark 01-30-2012 11:08 PM

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...rkspics068.jpg Finally got done with all welding on the cab...YAY!

waspp 02-02-2012 08:36 PM

Managed to get the upper part of the cab painted... alpine white.

E911manager 02-03-2012 12:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fire wall done and ready for paint (well a little more touching up but 99 percent done). Mounted the cab back on the caprice frame...

tincan1966 02-03-2012 11:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Started my favorite:bsf:part-rust repair.