The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Random Photos ‘You took’ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=794025)

weq92f 10-09-2023 04:22 PM

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

1 Attachment(s)

She stranded me last night for the first time ever! Lucky I was able to notice the alternator had stopped charging and get it off the freeway onto a parking lot before I shut it down.

EDIT: Oh...if you guys need a flat bed tow in DFW area, this guy here is independent, punctual, honest and friendly.

-klb

Ol Blue K20 10-10-2023 10:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I had to replace my stove pipe at my cabin. Last winters snow took it off. I made a splitter and put it up to help prevent it happening again.

weq92f 10-10-2023 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Discovered the dead alternator replacement (exact) isn't available until January for some reason. So...found a rebuilder locally and left this thing there for a rebuild. Most likely it's just the regulator and all will be well...we'll see. They strive for 24 hour turnaround so maybe I'll know what's up tomorrow.

-klb

Ironhorse 10-10-2023 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 9249209)

...found a rebuilder locally and left this thing there for a rebuild.

Good luck with the rebuild, glad you have a local shop you can use for that. Hard to find anyone now days that actually wants to and "can" rebuild anything. Years back I used a rebuild shop many times for starters, generators, alternators, anything with electrical windings and bearings. A sad day when the shop closed, now its an overseas made replacement and hope it lasts for at least a year.

Stocker 10-10-2023 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 9249211)
Good luck with the rebuild, glad you have a local shop you can use for that. Hard to find anyone now days that actually wants to and "can" rebuild anything.

Ditto that. Back when my original alternator failed, I dug around and found a shop that "used to" rebuild them. The guy had stopped doing automotive stuff and now only does big commercial jobs, like for sawmills.

weq92f 10-10-2023 10:12 PM

Quote:

Good luck with the rebuild, glad you have a local shop you can use for that. Hard to find anyone now days that actually wants to and "can" rebuild anything. Years back I used a rebuild shop many times for starters, generators, alternators, anything with electrical windings and bearings. A sad day when the shop closed, now its an overseas made replacement and hope it lasts for at least a year.

Thanks. I had a local shop years ago as well. Once, I even bought a kit and refreshed a GM SBC starter myself. Not sure if those kits are still available today. This place is primarily a commercial equipment accessory rebuild shop though, obviously, they'll work on regular stuff too. (for reference: Advanced Starter and Alternator in Dallas)

-klb

DeadheadNM 10-11-2023 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve got to rebuild an HEI this winter to replace the pickup coil. It’s intermittently not sending juice once it’s hot.

Random photo…

68bowtie 10-11-2023 04:23 PM

^^^ yup better put on your bubble wrap and move to the hills if you want to avoid the risk!

Ol Blue K20 10-11-2023 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9249584)
^^^ yup better put on your bubble wrap and move to the hills if you want to avoid the risk!

x2!!!

D.B 10-11-2023 08:02 PM

Your never safe. The bubble wrap may have the same chemicals you are being warned about or the air in the bubbles could have COVID. Just saying!!:lol:

68bowtie 10-11-2023 09:35 PM

Lol!! Hahaha

DeadheadNM 10-11-2023 10:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here’s a few more examples, absurd to say the least.

68bowtie 10-11-2023 10:28 PM

My favorite is the warning in the McDizzle drive thru. It doesn’t specify which product will kill you. I assume it’s ALL of it lol

HO455 10-12-2023 08:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I took these photos yesterday after we assisted the cruise ship Ruby Princess off of drydock. The 4 tugs were used to tight line the ship off the drydock without touching the brand new paint. Between the ship and our tugs there's about 104,800 horsepower moving down the river.

LockDoc 10-12-2023 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9249805)
I took these photos yesterday after we assisted the cruise ship Ruby Princess off of drydock. The 4 tugs were used to tight line the ship off the drydock without touching the brand new paint. Between the ship and our tugs there's about 104,800 horsepower moving down the river.

That would be a really interesting job.

LockDoc

weq92f 10-12-2023 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)

This place did me a solid on my alternator rebuild. Turns out, the internal wiring for the external battery post on the case had become disconnected. They repaired it and choose not to charge me for it. So, I give back...bought them a nice gift card ($50) for a local-to-their-shop, good rated restaurant!

Give these guys some business next time you guys need this type of service in the Dallas area.

-klb

yuccales 10-12-2023 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 9249918)

This place did me a solid on my alternator rebuild. Turns out, the internal wiring for the external battery post on the case had become disconnected. They repaired it and choose not to charge me for it. So, I give back...bought them a nice gift card ($50) for a local-to-their-shop, good rated restaurant!

Give these guys some business next time you guys need this type of service in the Dallas area.

-klb

Darn nice of them, real darn nice of you! ;)

Steeveedee 10-12-2023 09:37 PM

Many years ago I used to patronize a shop that rebuilt starters, alternators, and so forth. I was a mechanic in those days, and I even brought them an electric drill to replace the cord. Yeah, I know, easy meat. But I had brought them starters and alternators, etc., and they did that cord fix for free. The owner was a really nice guy, and if someone had a sad story, he'd repair what they had for free. I wasn't broke when they did the drill repair, but still. They could rewire a starter motor so that it would crank over the drag engines with 13.5:1 compression. Way before gear reduction starters for GM products came about.

special-K 10-13-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9249123)
I had to replace my stove pipe at my cabin. Last winters snow took it off. I made a splitter and put it up to help prevent it happening again.

That'll work
Quote:

I feel fortunate to have K&K Automotive who has always been the local benchwork shop, as well are repairs in their bays. They rebuild all components, carbs, alternators, starters, distributors...whatever, and do it well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 9249661)
Here’s a few more examples, absurd to say the least.

I thought Joe Jackson took care of this in the '80s

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 9249805)

That's a lot of steam!

Ironhorse 10-13-2023 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wife and I stopped in a antique shop the other day and while she was browsing I spotted this in one of the booths. Thought it was really a cool looking piece. Not sure if an original or not as it was for CDs and not 45 rpm records. Holds 80 CDs total. Would have looked great in my wet bar area but already SOLD. Just as well, probably was a bit on the pricey side I would guess.

special-K 10-13-2023 09:40 PM

Juke boxes are cool piece for a bar/club room. I remember when they transitioned to CDs, and then satellite with 5,000 songs (boring)

3757chevy 10-13-2023 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 9250185)
Wife and I stopped in a antique shop the other day and while she was browsing I spotted this in one of the booths. Thought it was really a cool looking piece. Not sure if an original or not as it was for CDs and not 45 rpm records. Holds 80 CDs total. Would have looked great in my wet bar area but already SOLD. Just as well, probably was a bit on the pricey side I would guess.

We had an old nickelodeon jukebox that looked like that but played 78 records when I was a kid.

Boog 10-14-2023 06:57 AM

I remember a local cafe back in the 60s and 70s that had a mini version of those type record players on the table of every booth. Pretty cool idea as customers didn't have to leave their booth to select juke box songs. I spent plenty in those things.

special-K 10-14-2023 11:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I remember those in diners. Nothing this fancy, just a chrome. More '60s style. Bring 'em back! When did they become a bad idea?

pjmoreland 10-15-2023 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a little trip up into the Sierra foothills with the wife today. It was great to meet you, Dale!

yuccales 10-15-2023 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9250962)
Took a little trip up into the Sierra foothills with the wife today. It was great to meet you, Dale!

Popular place Dales Corner is! :)

pjmoreland 10-15-2023 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 9250968)
Popular place Dales Corner is! :)

Sorry I missed you yesterday

yuccales 10-15-2023 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9250972)
Sorry I missed you yesterday

Same here! Hope ya got some apples. ;)

pjmoreland 10-15-2023 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuccales (Post 9250975)
Same here! Hope ya got some apples. ;)

We did, indeed

68bowtie 10-15-2023 11:17 PM

Awesome!

dieseldawg142 10-16-2023 02:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
always wondered how steep some of the mountain roads i travel are, so i bought a cheap inclinometer.
thought most of the FSR roads i hit were around 20 degrees, seems like most of them are in the 25-35 degree range
Attachment 2309084

there are steeper hills, like this one, gauge ran out of numbers at 40, so my kid used his phone, was at 48 degrees, could feel the tires slip every now and then
Attachment 2309085Attachment 2309090

some side hilling too-around 20-25 degrees.
only thing i wish was the gauge was illuminated-need to hit it with a lite at night to see it...
Attachment 2309080

special-K 10-17-2023 08:37 AM

They say dirt spills out to 45*. So that steeper incline was about the rock. That's 3* more vertical than horizontal, so I bet your rig would be scratchin' some. That angle can get hairy going down. My sister's road up to her cabin has a spot that is really steeper than a road should be. If you do lose momentum and start sittin' & spinnin', backing down can get you in trouble. Brakes are equally ineffective

Ol Blue K20 10-17-2023 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9250962)

It was definitely nice to meet you and your wife. Plenty more apples! I like your truck, it drew a crowd too! You guys are welcome anytime.

4u2nv 10-21-2023 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didn't take the photo but I'm going to put it here .
Now that is being different .

mr.mud1 10-21-2023 08:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
i had to run to town yesterday for some parts for my drainage project.there's usually an eagle or 2 sitting on top of this power pole,especially at low tide when they can see lunch swimming by.yesterday there was only one so i stopped for a few pictures although too far away.we have a bunch of eagle around here.they are beautiful to watch.

68bowtie 10-24-2023 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Random??

Attachment 2311226

Sheepdip 10-24-2023 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9253390)

Must work for.... or love Pepsi Cola!

mr.mud1 10-25-2023 05:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i was digging some trenches around the house for some drainage and went over to the yard of the fella who owns the outfit i drive for when he needs a little extra dump truckin done,to get some gravel.on my way out i came across this pair of lonely old trucks wasting away in the woods off one of the roads.one had to come from Maine to die a slow miserable death in the woods here in Nova Scotia??

mr.mud1 10-28-2023 11:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i stumbled across this today while searching for something,don't know where i got it or how but i thought it was cool,new and never used.never saw one before?

mr.mud1 10-30-2023 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
someone was talking when they should've been listening,i'd say?temp tag still on the back window.off to a rough start.