The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

MARTINSR 03-14-2019 11:32 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebte (Post 8486877)
Great story! Sucks that people often wait too long before letting stuff go to waste.

When I was in sales I would have stuff that would sit and not sale. I would mark it as SOLD online and people would come out of start calling wanting to know if it was still available. I have no clue how the human mind works, but its confusing.

That co-worker who said I could have that axle, it was the 235 and tranny too, the whole drive train. He bought this SUPER nice driver, a really nice truck. After driving it a bit it had something happen, forget what, a blown head gasket or something like that. This all happened without him asking me a thing, his mechanic couldn't fix it, he was afraid to touch that old motor is the problem he was clueless about it. So he talked my co-worker into putting a v8 in it with the Mustang II front. Which isn't a bad thing, but he was CLUELESS about this stuff too, thinking he was some master hotrodder or something and my co-worker had nothing but trouble with it. It went back over and over with steering problems and over heating problems and brake problems, geeeez.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 03-15-2019 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8486857)
Well, a week after I sent my axle to SID's I get a text from him asking me if I want it! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR:devil:

ROFL!

I once tried to buy a Model A pickup. The owner wouldn't sell. For two years I called him every couple of months - no sale. So finally I gave up and stopped calling him. After about six months HE calls ME sounding irritated and says, "Are you coming to get this Model A or not?"

I was there that afternoon.

MiraclePieCo 03-15-2019 04:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed my visors today. I'm taking this 5-minute thing literally!

I had an epiphany yesterday: I kept wondering why I didn't like my wheels. Finally realized that it was actually the trim rings I didn't like. I removed the beauty rings, big improvement. Even my cat approves:

Black_Sheep 03-16-2019 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today has been a productive day. I changed oil, checked all the fluids and every inch of the undercarriage has been cleaned and detailed. I discovered a couple loose bolts so I grabbed my tools and checked every nut and bolt on the chassis. Tomorrow I’ll get it off the jack stands and continue detailing everything else.

#GSTAORBUST

MARTINSR 03-16-2019 08:58 PM

Right on Mark!

Brian

MARTINSR 03-16-2019 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8487434)
ROFL!

I once tried to buy a Model A pickup. The owner wouldn't sell. For two years I called him every couple of months - no sale. So finally I gave up and stopped calling him. After about six months HE calls ME sounding irritated and says, "Are you coming to get this Model A or not?"

I was there that afternoon.

I felt like sending him a text back "F-YOU!" But instead it was simple "nope." Geeez, that ticks me off, I have always respected this guy and I will have a hard time with that now.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 03-16-2019 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice weather today, so I decided to take my panel for a drive. While warming up in the driveway it ran out of gas - gauge still showing 1/4 tank! Good thing I wasn't 10 miles down the road! My drive was canceled as I had to go to the next town (no gas stations in my town) for a can of non-ethanol premium. "Adjust sender float" added to my to-do list.

After that I cut a patch to fill the parking brake hole in my floor. I should have filled it when I was building the truck but I was too fixated on just getting it driving. It will be hidden under carpet so I'll just stick it on with some panel adhesive.

I'm really liking my truck's new murdered-out look, minus beauty rings. Looks more utilitarian like a panel truck should.

DransportGarage 03-16-2019 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8488617)
Nice weather today, so I decided to take my panel for a drive. While warming up in the driveway it ran out of gas - gauge still showing 1/4 tank! Good thing I wasn't 10 miles down the road! My drive was canceled as I had to go to the next town (no gas stations in my town) for a can of non-ethanol premium. "Adjust sender float" added to my to-do list.

After that I cut a patch to fill the parking brake hole in my floor. I should have filled it when I was building the truck but I was too fixated on just getting it driving. It will be hidden under carpet so I'll just stick it on with some panel adhesive.

I'm really liking my truck's new murdered-out look, minus beauty rings. Looks more utilitarian like a panel truck should.

It does look slick!

oldman3 03-16-2019 11:41 PM

MPC, looks great...Jim

MARTINSR 03-17-2019 12:42 AM

Yep, those panels are awesome!

Brian

Black_Sheep 03-17-2019 10:34 AM

MPC it does look better without the trim rings, "all business" if you know what I mean. Sometimes less is more...

MiraclePieCo 03-17-2019 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black_Sheep (Post 8488846)
MPC it does look better without the trim rings, "all business" if you know what I mean. Sometimes less is more...

Thanks gentlemen.

Today I used my "5 minutes" to finish filling the old parking brake hole. I cut a metal patch, slathered the back in silicone, and mounted it over the floor opening using the original bolt holes. It has to be leak free since it's directly behind the front tire, but esthetics aren't that important because it will eventually be hidden under carpet.

MARTINSR 03-18-2019 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My five minutes were getting my frame out of the back yard ready to haul to the powder coaters tomorrow, WHOOOO HOOOO! I bolted the seat frame down and bolted and tied the inner fenders being there isn't enough room in the tow truck for them. Damn nice working for someone who would let me use the tow truck to do this. I have a pile of stuff, all the fender braces, rad support and on and on, hope it doesn't cost too much.

Brian

MARTINSR 03-20-2019 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure is nice having an employer that lets you take off in the middle of the day with the shop tow truck to bring your frame to the powder coater. :D

Got out to the garage tonight to round up the hubs and start on those. That's about all I need when the frame comes back to make a rolling chassis!

Brian

MiraclePieCo 03-20-2019 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I began perhaps the most universally dreaded task of AD truck restoration, installing new window channels. It's especially hard on my truck because it has '52 doors, requiring the removal of the vent window.

DransportGarage 03-20-2019 08:00 AM

My 1 minute: I got an email from my friend and upholsterer that my windlace that goes around the headliner is ready and that she's delivering it Friday! I'll now be able to put the headliner in.

MARTINSR 03-21-2019 10:25 AM

Got out there for five minutes and worked more on cleaning up my front hubs. I have to get new studs today at the parts store and order the bearings.

Brian

MARTINSR 03-21-2019 11:57 PM

Stopped and got my front wheel studs and got out to the garage to trial fit one to be sure it was right, it was, done deal. I am rung out from today, going to crash on the couch with the sweetie.

Brian

DransportGarage 03-22-2019 05:52 AM

My 5 minutes was just that today. I cleaned up the plastic surrounds that go around the bottoms of the bucket seats. 8 pieces. They're ready to upholster now.

MARTINSR 03-22-2019 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my axle back from Sid's WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

MARTINSR 03-22-2019 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my axle unwrapped and checked the bearing situation and they look perfect and I have ordered the new roller bearings just now.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 03-23-2019 05:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8492406)
Got my axle back from Sid's WHOOO HOOOOO!

Brian

That's pretty cool! How does it look?

I converted some sliding door rollers into window rollers. Had to sand them down to size then fabricate some bushings out of fuel line.

DransportGarage 03-23-2019 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8492775)

I converted some sliding door rollers into window rollers. Had to sand them down to size then fabricate some bushings out of fuel line.

Been there. Did that. Great idea!

MARTINSR 03-23-2019 12:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8492775)

It all looks awesome. I wasn't thrilled with the box they put it in after I spent crazy time putting it in the box I sent it in. Oh well, guess they know more than I do about shipping and I did an overkill job but damn what a difference!

What they sent was REAL close to breaking out of the box! The drag link was loose bouncing around in the box VERY close to falling out through a hole. Yeah, that was the only part about it that caught my eye. The rest is all good so far.

Very clever work on the window rollers there!

Brian

Black_Sheep 03-23-2019 02:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Exterior polish and wax...