The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

jbgroby 03-03-2012 09:56 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

4 Attachment(s)
Picked up some more from the painter, hell a few more trips and it will all be done - er sort of.

fasteddie1964 03-03-2012 10:07 PM

Put new wheel cylinders and brake shoes on the front. Those drums are gonna have to go soon tho, they just don't stop like what I'm used to.

64shortbox 03-04-2012 01:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Future plans include power windows & locks so I decided to add the rubber conduits that I removed from a square body Ford Bronco. I removed both front fenders, measured up 2-1/2" from the top of the lower door hinges marked & drilled my holes for the conduits. The door jamb received 1-1/2" holes and the door received 2" holes to match the conduits. I installed the boots or conduits (what ever you want to call them) taped the edge of the doors & fenders to prevent chipping the paint and put it all back together. Now when I get my power windows & locks I'll have a head start. While I was at it I fixed the door jamb switch for the passenger door to turn off the courtesy lights when the door is closed by adding 3 stainless washers behind the switch. Of course I had to spill a little blood while I was doing all of this.

markeb01 03-04-2012 02:05 AM

That makes for a nice looking installation.

66farmer 03-04-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortbox (Post 5228705)
Future plans include power windows & locks so I decided to add the rubber conduits that I removed from a square body Ford Bronco. I removed both front fenders, measured up 2-1/2" from the top of the lower door hinges marked & drilled my holes for the conduits. The door jamb received 1-1/2" holes and the door received 2" holes to match the conduits. I installed the boots or conduits (what ever you want to call them) taped the edge of the doors & fenders to prevent chipping the paint and put it all back together. Now when I get my power windows & locks I'll have a head start. While I was at it I fixed the door jamb switch for the passenger door to turn off the courtesy lights when the door is closed by adding 3 stainless washers behind the switch. Of course I had to spill a little blood while I was doing all of this.

I have to install a conduit hose in mine for the power windows. It looks like your using a pretty big. The hose that came in the New Relics kit is around 1".
How are you going to route yor wires after in the hinge post.
Thanks for your post

64shortbox 03-04-2012 12:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 66farmer (Post 5229176)
I have to install a conduit hose in mine for the power windows. It looks like your using a pretty big. The hose that came in the New Relics kit is around 1".
How are you going to route yor wires after in the hinge post.
Thanks for your post

66farmer,
I went with the big conduits because I like my stuff to "look" factory even though Chevy never offered power windows & locks in a 64 C10. The factory conduits in my 62 Pontiac, 71 Caddy & 72 Cutlass were about the same size.
As far as running the wires down the hinge post I haven't 100% decided on that yet. There is a cross brace in the hinge post located about 2" below the dash, so for easy access the hole to run the wires would have to be below that - but then the wires would show and I don't want that. When I ran my wires in the door jambs for the dome light switches I found there is enough gap in this brace to feed the wire down for the switch but I don't know if I can get 4 more wires (window & door lock) in this gap. I hope so. I hope I'm making myself clear here.
I also found out the hard way that there is a strengthening brace in the doors for the hinge area. Since you're only using a 1" conduit, if you drill your hole a little more to the outside edge of the door you shouldn't have any problems. I taped the door edge in case I slipped with the drill motor I wouldn't gouge the paint. I slipped and hence the blood shed, but the door was fine!
I'm attaching a couple of pictures of how I ran my courtesy light door jamb switch wire. The pics are taken on the passenger side looking up. The bottom of the dash can be seen in the lower right of the pic. The wiring and grommets came from a 73 Chevy C10. The diameter of the grommets required a 1-1/8" hole. Again, I wanted it to look factory. I know-stupid but it's a hang up I have.
Of the last 2 pics, the top one is the drivers door and the bottom one was taken of the passenger door so it looks flip flopped but you can see where the extra bracing runs.

rendus 03-04-2012 07:00 PM

Finally getting prepped for the top coat. Removed the hood, both front fenders and the front bumper. Found some rust-through spots in the Grille support panel, so that'll have to be patched. Bumper came off really well, only twisted off one bolt.

fasteddie1964 03-04-2012 10:10 PM

Put one set of rear brake shoes and new wheel cylinder on today. The brake line fitting that screws into wheel cylinder was seased up on line, so I had to get a new line. I went to bleed it after I got everything installed and couldn't get any fluid to come out. The rubber hose that screws to T on the rearend sprung a small leak. I didn't seem to get any fluid leaking from T when I took the old line off, so I must have a clog in it.

66farmer 03-05-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortbox (Post 5229307)
66farmer,
I went with the big conduits because I like my stuff to "look" factory even though Chevy never offered power windows & locks in a 64 C10. The factory conduits in my 62 Pontiac, 71 Caddy & 72 Cutlass were about the same size.
As far as running the wires down the hinge post I haven't 100% decided on that yet. There is a cross brace in the hinge post located about 2" below the dash, so for easy access the hole to run the wires would have to be below that - but then the wires would show and I don't want that. When I ran my wires in the door jambs for the dome light switches I found there is enough gap in this brace to feed the wire down for the switch but I don't know if I can get 4 more wires (window & door lock) in this gap. I hope so. I hope I'm making myself clear here.
I also found out the hard way that there is a strengthening brace in the doors for the hinge area. Since you're only using a 1" conduit, if you drill your hole a little more to the outside edge of the door you shouldn't have any problems. I taped the door edge in case I slipped with the drill motor I wouldn't gouge the paint. I slipped and hence the blood shed, but the door was fine!
I'm attaching a couple of pictures of how I ran my courtesy light door jamb switch wire. The pics are taken on the passenger side looking up. The bottom of the dash can be seen in the lower right of the pic. The wiring and grommets came from a 73 Chevy C10. The diameter of the grommets required a 1-1/8" hole. Again, I wanted it to look factory. I know-stupid but it's a hang up I have.
Of the last 2 pics, the top one is the drivers door and the bottom one was taken of the passenger door so it looks flip flopped but you can see where the extra bracing runs.

Thanks for your info. The truck is coming home from the painter today.

markeb01 03-05-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fasteddie1964 (Post 5230530)
Put one set of rear brake shoes and new wheel cylinder on today. The brake line fitting that screws into wheel cylinder was seased up on line, so I had to get a new line. I went to bleed it after I got everything installed and couldn't get any fluid to come out. The rubber hose that screws to T on the rearend sprung a small leak. I didn't seem to get any fluid leaking from T when I took the old line off, so I must have a clog in it.

Rubber brakes hoses are one of those little items that just don't get much consideration. My experience is they can break down from the inside with no signs of visible aging. The internal deterioration can generate debris in the lines, swell them nearly shut, or cause them to buldge or balloon under pressure risking even bigger problems. After 30 or 40 years of service, new flex hoses are usually a good idea.

tincan1966 03-05-2012 11:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Haven't gotten much done since installing the big block and making motor mounts. Been working on her "blue oval" truck and trying to get it ready for paint. Hope to get some serious work done on my 'Burb this week.

tincan1966 03-05-2012 11:54 AM

sorry for the bad pic!

srziemkowski 03-05-2012 11:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Firewall painted along with most of the front frame.

chainsaw 03-05-2012 03:53 PM

Resanded and reshot the stepside fenders where I ran the hell out of them on the first try.

jbgroby 03-08-2012 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
test mounted the barbell............ooooohhhhh it be soooo pretty

mud.man.rj 03-08-2012 08:00 PM

I was all up on ordering new rims and tires but the doors being reskinned and not so straight made me rethink it, sooo I just ordered new doors/seals and armrests for my 71, now I feel way better, get it ready for paint first and painted then rims and tires. Work to do now, getting nothing but better.

chevy_man5 03-09-2012 01:22 AM

I got to keep it!!

The now "ex" didn't get it in the divorce.

Now on with the project!

losthope 03-09-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5240172)
I got to keep it!!

Now on with the project!

HELL YA!!!! Thats some really great news, I read somewhere you talking about your divorce and the truck was up in the air and thought to myself that would be a bummer....But now im super stoked for you!!!

MisterC 03-09-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 5240172)
I got to keep it!!

Now on with the project!

Score one for the good guys! My first marriage cost me 2 classics. My new wife is super supportive of my truck obsession. Congratulations on keeping it and know that there's hope out there.

chevy_man5 03-09-2012 09:08 AM

Thanks Losthope, and MisterC!!

Step one will be getting it running and driving, step two will be getting it stopping (better), the rest will work itself out!

srziemkowski 03-09-2012 09:49 AM

Got my spindles off last night in prep to paint the lower arms and install my lowering springs and wait to get the money to order my disk spindles. :)

dugvera@gmail.com 03-09-2012 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 887283Posted via Mobile Device
Stickered it.
Posted via Mobile Device

losthope 03-09-2012 10:27 PM

Made my raised homemade wood bed:
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...nnz/008-17.jpg
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...nnz/012-18.jpg
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...nnz/012-19.jpg

Wolfinthesnow 03-09-2012 10:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I built my engine mounts for the nailhead and actually got my "good engine" in the frame. Had to scratch build all my mounts, and used polyurethane bushings from energy suspension.
These here:http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=9.4101

Finished mounts:
Attachment 887385

Attachment 887386

Attachment 887387

Mocked engine and tranny
Attachment 887388

Actual engine Ill be using. 401 punched out .030 over, 340hp:metal:, 455ftlbs torque:sumo::sumo::sumo:
Attachment 887389

Also made a little gimick that goes on the boom of my engine hoist to lift my cab from the inside!
"Today I didnt even have to use my AK, I gotta say it was a good day."

Wolfinthesnow 03-09-2012 10:40 PM

If anyone is interested, more detailed explanations of my nailhead gmc build here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5212525

E911manager 03-09-2012 11:49 PM

Drive it (kinda)!!! Backyard to the front yard anyway!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

firefighter736 03-10-2012 01:48 AM

Got my bench back from the upholsterer. 3 fixed springs, new foam, a vinyl/houndstooth cover, and $250 later the interior becomes 95% complete!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...47419325_n.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

markeb01 03-10-2012 02:03 AM

I like it!

markeb01 03-10-2012 02:13 AM

That is going to be so cool. I always liked Buick engines. I think my youngest son has either a 430 or 455 in his 69 Riviera. I'd love to have that engine in my truck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfinthesnow (Post 5241972)
I built my engine mounts for the nailhead and actually got my "good engine" in the frame. Had to scratch build all my mounts, and used polyurethane bushings from energy suspension.

MisterC 03-10-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthope (Post 5241939)
Made my raised homemade wood bed:

That looks great! I love the progress that you've made on your truck. Very inspiring!

cb1965 03-10-2012 09:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
started droping it. 3" spring up front then drove it around. got to lazy to do the back.

Woogeroo 03-10-2012 09:52 PM

I took the blower motor out to try to figure out why it was squealing and making a racket.

I sprayed it good with electronics cleaner and reassembled... I may have to buy a new motor soon.

-W

fasteddie1964 03-10-2012 09:57 PM

I put new spark plugs in, ran great then when I parked it the starter went out.....oh well

thebatii 03-11-2012 01:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
pulled it down...motor need to come out ...tranny change and need to fix that starter issue .
took all day but its out, may not walk tomorrow but it was worth it . Ive been dancing around is forever. Cheers

dantimdad 03-12-2012 12:39 AM

Removed the vertical drip rails, cleaned the insulation off the drivers side floor board and got it ready to cut out and weld back.

Also layed out the upper mounting position for the seat belts from the 94 silverado.

Steven

64shortbox 03-12-2012 12:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The local self serve wrecking yard had a 1/2 off sale this weekend. I purchased a Power Brake pedal from a 73 C10 to graft onto my 64 C10 brake pedal. An idea I blatently and selfishly stole from doobiebro. Thanks for your help on this one doobiebro. I also picked up a couple of horns & a suspended throttle pedal assembly from the same truck that I do plan on installing.
Now here's the Kicker, after pulling my goodies I continued nosing around the yard just to see what I might find. One just never knows what you might locate. I SCORED!!!!! I've been wanting to add a radiator overflow container and windshield washers to our 64 C10 too. Under the hood of a full size Ford truck I found a radiator overflow & washer container with a built in pump. Lookiing it over I thought it just might fit in our 64. For 1/2 off I took the gamble. It's a Perfect fit with a little rearranging of the regulator & horn relay.

AngryPirate 03-12-2012 12:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Cut, painted and installed a metal plate to cover the now vacant hydraulic clutch hole in the firewall. (similar to this: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...+firewall+hole )

Discovered that my valve covers where of the corvette L28 variety. Cleaned them, put a breather on the vacant hole (yes, vacant), new PCV valve and put them on the correct sides.

untwisted the spark plug wires, one at a time.

Pulled the dash instrument cluster.

Went to fire the truck up and it turned over fine, but wouldn't start/fire up. Double checked the ignition wires, still no luck. Ugh. Started it up the a couple of days ago no problem. Narrowing-it-down suggestions appreciated.

Other than that, productive day! Still a lot ahead though.

64shortbox 03-12-2012 01:08 AM

4 Attachment(s)
If you notice you can see the 2 mounting points for the Ford washer/overflow bottle. You can also see how the bottle is angled to match the angle of the inner fender of a 60-66 Chevy Truck. For the pictures I removed the voltage regulator, horn relay & horn. I'm installing the 2 horns I picked up to each side of the radiator. I'm moving the horn relay & regulator to the other side of the radiator support and hiding them under that small panel cover to protect it all from rain & weather etc. Those Ford washer/ radiator bottles are in many cars & trucks. Most every Ford Exploder has those & so do the full size trucks. I think it looks right at home under the hood of the 60-66 Chevy trucks.
Oh, That overflow bottle looked like total garbage when I bought it. I filled the radiator side with full strength Zep brand Calcium Lime Rust remover - $10.00 a gallon at Lowe's. I let it soak for about an hour or so, then shoved a rag in it and scrubbed using a long screw driver then rinsed. I scrubbed the outside of the container using Awesome Orange cleaner - $1.00 a bottle at the Dollar Tree. I dried it all and sprayed a little Armorall on the lid to get the color back.

LinkbeltOE 03-12-2012 04:40 AM

I sand blasted the centers of my new rotors for my rear disk conversion
Posted via Mobile Device

K98AL 03-12-2012 08:21 AM

Installed radiator support, grill, all associated sheet metal...and my new Champion radiator.