The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

mr48chev 12-22-2020 12:40 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I figured out that that doesn't actually move the radiator forward like I thought. It save me from having to change the front crossmember.

washington blue 12-24-2020 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a little trans mount

87Lowrider 12-25-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippi (Post 8847612)
Drove the 49 pickup up to the lock and dam and meet a buddy of mine. The weather was in the upper 50's with not a cloud in the sky. We sat and swapped lies for about 3 hours. There is a lot of joggers, walkers, and people just parking to take in the view so we got a lot of thumbs up and and few questions. Great day to get out with the ride.

Hidi Ho to my Newburgh Neighbor.. I'd know that parking lot and river view any time... B E A-Utiful truck. Looking forward to getting the '57 out for the first time in the spring.

http://www.welovecomputers.net/truckpics/2020/6822.jpg

Ken

washington blue 01-04-2021 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took my dash out.

idbeast 01-16-2021 04:47 PM

Does ordering coil over shocks for the 77 nova front clip in my '56 count?

mick53 01-16-2021 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8865078)
Does ordering coil over shocks for the 77 nova front clip in my '56 count?

I would say most definitely yes. Sometimes I spend several hours a day chasing parts or finding someone to make them. I'm sure I have 20 hours or more of phone time in getting my brakes to mount.

MiraclePieCo 01-17-2021 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by washington blue (Post 8858755)
Took my dash out.

I assume the lower dash is a repro replacement. Is it wider than the original or is that just a photo illusion?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8865089)
I would say most definitely yes. Sometimes I spend several hours a day chasing parts or finding someone to make them. I'm sure I have 20 hours or more of phone time in getting my brakes to mount.

After any day of working on my projects, I can easily spend several hours walking around it, staring, thinking, and planning.

carbuff382 01-21-2021 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started sanding on bed wood to refinish.

DransportGarage 01-21-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbuff382 (Post 8867560)

My back and fingers hurt just looking at that... :ack:

...but it's gonna look nice!

mick53 01-26-2021 01:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I shipped off the last of the cabinets I've been building for the last few weeks and started back on prepping the trans for paint. I made the little spacers for the bolt heads. I'm just evening up the casting and removing the little klingons from the casting. I know most would consider this a futile activity but I don't much care. I'm getting experience using my tools and learning what abrasives work best in what situations. I also can't see how you can discount all the aerodynamic turbulence created by the klingons and uneven castings. Just cleaning it up a bit and there seems to be kind of a layer of impurities or kind of a slag on the smoother castings. I don't know if the light sanding will help to promote adhesion but it can't hurt, right? I'm doing primer, base, clear. Still a little torn between epoxy or self etching primer but leaning heavily toward epoxy. I have both on hand. Thank you for your time.

mick53 01-26-2021 07:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished prepping my trans for painting. A good cleaning and masking and she's ready to paint. It was pretty rough when I started. It's almost like Tremec didn't care that I was going to paint it.

MiraclePieCo 01-27-2021 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8870406)
I finished prepping my trans for painting. A good cleaning and masking and she's ready to paint. It was pretty rough when I started. It's almost like Tremec didn't care that I was going to paint it.

Cool stuff as usual! The only problem is that I'm getting impatient to see the finished product. Work faster please!

mick53 01-29-2021 12:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished cleaning and masking off my transmission. It took longer than expected. I have never sprayed automotive paint before. I have an Aztec air brush that I have never used and I have a 5 stage Fuji turbine spay setup that I have also never used. What could possibly go wrong? I have 2 part epoxy primer and base clear in Firethorn red pearl. Going to have to do some shop cleaning and figure out how to spray it inside since it's 18 degrees outside. Hope I don't explode.

DransportGarage 01-30-2021 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8871509)
I finished cleaning and masking off my transmission. It took longer than expected. I have never sprayed automotive paint before. I have an Aztec air brush that I have never used and I have a 5 stage Fuji turbine spay setup that I have also never used. What could possibly go wrong? I have 2 part epoxy primer and base clear in Firethorn red pearl. Going to have to do some shop cleaning and figure out how to spray it inside since it's 18 degrees outside. Hope I don't explode.

I used my normal paint gun (Sata 3000B), epoxy primer and NAPA base/SPI clear.

MiraclePieCo 01-30-2021 10:20 PM

Quote:

Are you hand sanding that or using a DA?

_Ogre 01-31-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

refinish? what did you use on the bed wood the first time?

mick53 02-01-2021 12:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I unboxed my Fuji Q5 5 stage turbine sprayer (made in Canada) today. I also dug out the airbrush. I have never used either of them. I think I will try the Fuji on the transmission. It says it will go down to a 1/2" circle pattern. I bought this to paint the truck with so now is probably a good time to practice with it. I have never sprayed automotive paint but have done other types of spraying. I bought it on promotion and got an extra $350 gun free. Maybe I should use one just for primer and the like and the other for base and clear? I bought 3 needle and cap sets for primer, base and clear. I have no idea how much paint to mix up if anyone could help. All I'm painting is the transmission and a water pump. This paint is expensive and I don't want to waste it. How long do I have to use it before it goes bad or off or whatever it does? Thank you for your time.

DransportGarage 02-01-2021 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8873036)
I unboxed my Fuji Q5 5 stage turbine sprayer (made in Canada) today. I also dug out the airbrush. I have never used either of them. I think I will try the Fuji on the transmission. It says it will go down to a 1/2" circle pattern. I bought this to paint the truck with so now is probably a good time to practice with it. I have never sprayed automotive paint but have done other types of spraying. I bought it on promotion and got an extra $350 gun free. Maybe I should use one just for primer and the like and the other for base and clear? I bought 3 needle and cap sets for primer, base and clear. I have no idea how much paint to mix up if anyone could help. All I'm painting is the transmission and a water pump. This paint is expensive and I don't want to waste it. How long do I have to use it before it goes bad or off or whatever it does? Thank you for your time.

I'm going to recommend a great website for super paint products (especially their clears) and tech advice:

http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.ph...-5000-5100.29/

The guys that typically answer the questions are a bunch of pros, and the owner of the company (Barry) is accessible and helpful as well. Very personable folks.

carbuff382 02-03-2021 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 8872734)
refinish? what did you use on the bed wood the first time?

Hand sanding it, first time spar marine varnish was used. This time I'm using exterior Danish oil. Won't be glossy any more but that's ok, I prefer the satin finish on wood and I can re-apply with minimal effort. Almost done now.

mick53 02-03-2021 02:22 PM

When I use drying oils I prefer Tung oil but it will darken it a little bit. You will need to get the pores open in the wood.

mick53 02-03-2021 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a little spray area in the shop because I live in Indiana and it's cold. This must be where my parents car broke down. Tomorrow I should get it painted. I called tech at the paint place and got instructions. I also watched you tube so now I know everything. What could possibly go wrong?

R&B51 02-04-2021 01:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mick53, you’re my polishing, detailing hero! Looking forward to seeing your tranny all painted! You inspired me to get the E arms and rest of the suspension as well as the torque tube all polished. Coded it with Eastwood sharkhide clearcoat. Been working on putting a 51 AD body on a complete C6 Corvette chassis and drive train. Sent torque tube off to Gamel Street rods and they returned it ~one foot longer. 117” WB. Got it mounted and the Dobbertin frame adapters in place. Today mocked up with some two by sixes so I could make measurements for custom frame rails. Went down to tube bending shop with diagrams and will have steel delivered there. Excited to get those rails in place and build an X frame then start putting the truck on top!
You guys sure keep me motivated with your projects and advice.

R&B51 02-04-2021 01:08 AM

Once I figure out how to get those pictures rotated off my phone maybe I’ll do a build thread someday. Sorry about the duplicate as well. I’m pretty green on tech stuff

mick53 02-04-2021 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R&B51 (Post 8874657)
Once I figure out how to get those pictures rotated off my phone maybe I’ll do a build thread someday. Sorry about the duplicate as well. I’m pretty green on tech stuff

Your build is definitely next level.

Rickysnickers 02-04-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R&B51 (Post 8874657)

Just post them. I can fix them for you.

dsraven 02-04-2021 11:25 AM

Hey Ricky, you should post a "how to turn your pics" thread so guys can do that themselves. We shouldn't expect to suck up your time to turn our pics when we could do that for ourselves. Thanks for all your hard work though. Appreciate it.

_Ogre 02-04-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbuff382 (Post 8874165)
Hand sanding it, first time spar marine varnish was used. This time I'm using exterior Danish oil. Won't be glossy any more but that's ok, I prefer the satin finish on wood and I can re-apply with minimal effort. Almost done now.

oil will look nice, sort of like the oem finish that held up for 20 years without any thought
most people don't understand the why of why your redoing a newish rebuild
care to explain the why?

mick53 02-05-2021 12:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I painted my transmission today. I had a gallon of black epoxy primer for my chassis and the paint guy said the color would not matter. 2 coats primer, 2 coats base and 2 coats clear. Like most of my stuff it's not perfect but not bad. I learned a lot. My new Fuji spray system worked well. Almost no overspray.

Rickysnickers 02-05-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 8874788)
Hey Ricky, you should post a "how to turn your pics" thread so guys can do that themselves. We shouldn't expect to suck up your time to turn our pics when we could do that for ourselves. Thanks for all your hard work though. Appreciate it.

I really don't do that much, honestly. Besides, it makes me take the time to read all the new posts. YOU are the one who should be thanked!!! You consistently take the time to write long explanations and provide links to things being discussed. As a little laughter, I'm wondering if that because of the long winters up there :)

DransportGarage 02-05-2021 02:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I haven't checked in since my driver's door wiped the paint off the edge of the fender. :censored: That caused me to quit working on the beast for about 3 months.

Here's what happened: I installed the interior door panel, but there was a bow just below the door window. I took a couple of channel locks, bent that part of the door in slightly, reinstalled the interior panel and...PERFECT. Unfortunately, it upset the door overall. I closed the door and wiped out the paint on the rear edge of the fender.

Anyway, I've been back at it for a few weeks. The electricals pretty much check out now, steering is in and the interior is complete except for the tach installation. I'm trying to bust into the schedule of my buddy that has the machine shop so I can make a spiffy bracket.

Here are some interior pics. (I do plan to change out the horn button to a '67 vette item that has only the crossed flags.)

carbuff382 02-05-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8875414)
I haven't checked in since my driver's door wiped the paint off the edge of the fender. :censored: That caused me to quit working on the beast for about 3 months.

Here's what happened: I installed the interior door panel, but there was a bow just below the door window. I took a couple of channel locks, bent that part of the door in slightly, reinstalled the interior panel and...PERFECT. Unfortunately, it upset the door overall. I closed the door and wiped out the paint on the rear edge of the fender.

Anyway, I've been back at it for a few weeks. The electricals pretty much check out now, steering is in and the interior is complete except for the tach installation. I'm trying to bust into the schedule of my buddy that has the machine shop so I can make a spiffy bracket.

Here are some interior pics. (I do plan to change out the horn button to a '67 vette item that has only the crossed flags.)

Nice looking truck! What color did you use on the exterior?

DransportGarage 02-05-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbuff382 (Post 8875444)
Nice looking truck! What color did you use on the exterior?

It's 2003 Chrysler Prowler Orange.

mick53 02-05-2021 09:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I unmasked my water pump and transmission. Also changed all the hardware to ARP 12 point polished stainless bolts. The little stand offs worked well for being able to get paint under the heads. It let me replace and retorque the bolts one at a time. The ARP lube on the washers kept it from tearing the still kind of soft paint. I'm thinking this is good for about 22 HP. If I'm posting too many pictures please let me know. It's also hard to balance the water pump on those two wires and make the bolt stick to the cover.

DransportGarage 02-05-2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8875647)
I unmasked my water pump and transmission. Also changed all the hardware to ARP 12 point polished stainless bolts. The little stand offs worked well for being able to get paint under the heads. It let me replace and retorque the bolts one at a time. The ARP lube on the washers kept it from tearing the still kind of soft paint. I'm thinking this is good for about 22 HP. If I'm posting too many pictures please let me know. It's also hard to balance the water pump on those two wires and make the bolt stick to the cover.

Lookin' great, Mick! Oh, and the bolts and wires? We figured that along with all the other miracles you're performing, you figured out how to repeal the Law of Gravity! ;)

mick53 02-06-2021 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8875691)
Lookin' great, Mick! Oh, and the bolts and wires? We figured that along with all the other miracles you're performing, you figured out how to repeal the Law of Gravity! ;)

The key is not to defy gravity but to amplify it and point it up.

57FleetsideC4 02-06-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8875414)

Beautiful truck you have there. Love the interior and where the speakers are located. Steve

57FleetsideC4 02-06-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8875647)

It's the things like this that make a nice truck even nicer. Good work. Lots of detail. Steve

DransportGarage 02-06-2021 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 (Post 8875880)
Beautiful truck you have there. Love the interior and where the speakers are located. Steve

Thanks, Steve. I need the drive from your comments to finish the beast.

idbeast 02-08-2021 09:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I ordered a new trailer to be able to take the '56 with me when we take the motorhome out for trips!

DransportGarage 02-08-2021 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8876920)
I ordered a new trailer to be able to take the '56 with me when we take the motorhome out for trips!

Some of us can only dream...