The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=512904)

Modges'66 03-03-2013 02:22 PM

Re: My Unexpected '66 SWB-Fleet-Restomod Project!

3 Attachment(s)
Well I finished my heater control knobs the other day....I'm thinking of it as jewelery for the old girl.
I didn't have my camera with me so shot some random pics with the phone. I wasn't sure how good the quality would be, and was surprised. If I would have known they would be this good, I would have taken more pics!

It all started when I was modifying the heater controls so that I could remove the front bezel to paint or polish to match my dash. I got started by center-drilling all of the riveted areas, and grinding the heads off. Then I drilled all of those spots & tapped them for a #6-32 screws. It worked perfectly!
once that the unit was disassembled, I cleaned it up and sandblasted & painted the sheet-metal bracket & reassembled the unit...It still looked boring!
Nice, but boring.
BTW this heater control is not from my truck, as mine had a heater delete plate in the dash. A friend happened to have this laying around for some unknown reason, and gave it to me. Hence it why it has cut cables & wires. I plan on using it to control a vintage air unit somehow...I WILL figure a way to make it work.

Modges'66 03-03-2013 02:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And now, without further adieu, on to the fabrication of the heater control knobs!
I started with a piece of aluminum big enough to yield 5 knobs from, in order to have a backup plan for screwing up a few in the process. NOTHING ever goes as planned in your mind!
Once that I was pleased with the profile of the knob shape, I drilled & tapped #10-24 holes in the bottom of the knob profile that would be used to retain the knobs onto the levers of the control. Then, through the center of each tapped hole I milled a 3/32" slot for the control lever to fit into.
So as you will see, the threads on each side of the slot hold the setscrew that retains the lever.
Pretty simple really...NOT!
Once that all of this was completed, I separated the knobs from the workpiece by sawing them & machining the sawed surfaces to size.
I then milled a groove into the face of them with a 3/16" ball nosed cutter, and polished the individual knobs!

I didn't even screw one up!...yet.

Modges'66 03-03-2013 02:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And now, on to the pics of the finished product!...The bezel still needs to be painted to match my dash, of course.

aggie91 03-03-2013 02:47 PM

Very nice!

Bomp 03-03-2013 02:56 PM

Here! Here! I'd buy a set!

chevyrestoguy 03-03-2013 02:59 PM

How in the world have I missed this thread?

Very nice work! I am blown away by your fabrication skills. Also, I love the color.

flips72 03-03-2013 09:06 PM

wow those are awesome, great work.. now there's 3 things:lol:

Dinos63 03-03-2013 09:16 PM

WHOA!!! NICE WORK KAT!! you need to produce those and all the knobs for the switches and shifter and the the indicator for the colum.... cool stuff

gimmy 64 03-03-2013 09:27 PM

WOW very nice . you have mad skills!!!!!!

Jeff La 03-03-2013 10:04 PM

Great skills man, came out really great

notsolo 03-04-2013 08:14 AM

Color combo is great, Skills Awesome, keeps getting better, then Modge drops the milling machine on us....OUCH. Scoot over Billet...Modge-it ....Great build can't wait to see whats next.

clemdaddy 03-04-2013 08:42 AM

top notch... ash tray and heater knobs. whats next???

Modges'66 03-07-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5924554)
Very nice!

Thanks Man, I figured that I had about 8 extra hours of time to spare, and what better way to waste it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5924562)
Here! Here! I'd buy a set!

Ha-Ha-Ha! Most of the time I feel that it is the things that you can't buy which make a real custom!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 5924565)
How in the world have I missed this thread?

Very nice work! I am blown away by your fabrication skills. Also, I love the color.

I don't know how you missed it. Been bustin my a$$ here, and I feel that sometimes nobody is whatchin! But thanks a bunch! The photos really do NOT give justice to how rich that the color really is in person!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5925326)
wow those are awesome, great work.. now there's 3 things:lol:

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!...Thanks, maybe you do need to PM me your address!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 5925356)
WHOA!!! NICE WORK KAT!! you need to produce those and all the knobs for the switches and shifter and the the indicator for the colum.... cool stuff

Thanks Dino, but If I was makin all of that stuff, I would never get my truck done! LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gimmy 64 (Post 5925389)
WOW very nice . you have mad skills!!!!!!

Thanks, but it is still a lot of work,....with good rewards though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 5925503)
Great skills man, came out really great

Thanks, I try hard, & sometimes I get it right!

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 5926144)
Color combo is great, Skills Awesome, keeps getting better, then Modge drops the milling machine on us....OUCH. Scoot over Billet...Modge-it ....Great build can't wait to see whats next.

Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!...Verry funny! A few of my friends call me Modge-Gyver, Because they think that I can fix/build anything using a jack-knife & bailer twine! LOL!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5926162)
top notch... ash tray and heater knobs. whats next???

Thank you much!....I still got a few tricks up my sleeve!

Jmorales3181 03-08-2013 07:17 AM

Wow, that looks awesome! Nice job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Modges'66 03-14-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 5934232)
Wow, that looks awesome! Nice job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks man!
I sent some stuff out to a local plater for zinc coating on some small stuff.
We'll see how it turns out...I'll post some pics.

McMurphy 03-14-2013 11:26 PM

Ok I totally showed your heater knobs to the wife because she could not understand some of the words I was using and the attitude....
She thinks it is awesome.
I think you are just showing off now !!!

On the other hand, man that really is cool work, and like Dino said, a full matching set of accessories would be pretty amazing!

Let me know when you get your Gold Account so I can put my order in !!

Modges'66 03-15-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5948055)
Ok I totally showed your heater knobs to the wife because she could not understand some of the words I was using and the attitude....
She thinks it is awesome.
I think you are just showing off now !!!

Showing off? Ha!
Those words coming from a master of it???
Am I missing something here?
So, I'm guessing that you post pics purely for educational purposes! ha-Ha-Ha!...
Well, so do I!

Problem is, this stuff turned out so good, that every passer-by is gonna think that I bought it.
I just thought to my self that if I am gonna waste 8-plus hours doing something crazy-stupid, it might just as well be this!!!
Keeps me from sitting in front of a TV!

Vernski 03-15-2013 04:37 PM

There is potentially a large market for those knobs, most people don't like the plastic ones and billet is a big seller. Just a thought...Vernski:metal:

chevy_man5 03-15-2013 04:42 PM

I'd be in for a set of 4 heater knobs IF you go that way!

Awesome thread!!

Grizz1963 03-15-2013 06:04 PM

Very impressive knobs you have sir.....;)

chevy_man5 03-15-2013 07:05 PM

Forgot my sons truck needs knobs too, id be down for 7 knobs!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 03-15-2013 07:18 PM

Late to the party... Subscribed, Loving the color combo and Sick Skillz only scratches the surface! Great job!!!

chad64chevy 03-15-2013 11:32 PM

ashtray and heater knobs look killer, i agree with flips i would like a set too! i think you would be able to sell them atleast on here, they would sell like hotcakes, lol!!

McMurphy 03-16-2013 01:56 AM

I was posting on Bomps thread today that we really need to get you on the video band wagon !!
The stuff you are making is awesome !
I know I would love one of those ashtray handles, though I dont need the heater knobs.... sorry .....

Ok Pot, this is the Kettle apologizing.... LOL

66C06 03-16-2013 04:22 AM

sooooo...I'm going to need a set of a/c knobs, headlight knob, wiper knob and matching knob for the gauge dimmer switch from dakota digital. where can i sends the paypal monies??? :lol: