The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   72 Suburban Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=454019)

bruin_d 07-16-2011 09:15 PM

Re: 72 Suburban Build

1 Attachment(s)
Ready to move into its old home after the renovation:lol::metal:

Now, if I could find someone who sells inner fenders, I'd be set:mm:;):lol:.....

67cheby 07-17-2011 06:19 PM

ya...what he said !! I went to his place of business friday morning at 7 am, he was quite supprised to see me, well he had told me a week ago that he had the molds done and would have me parts ready last week...well no parts so i showed up the molds are 90% done and he promised that he would work on them all this weekend to get them done !!so we will see what next week has in store for me , i have already contacted another "BACKUP" company that said if i bring them the molds this guy has made they will start making me parts immediatley, if i have no parts in my hands by this friday i will be picking up my molds and taking them to the new guy !! motor looks great by the way !!!

bruin_d 07-17-2011 08:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Pretty good progress today. Motor and tranny are in and tranny cross member is mounted. I need to do some "persuading" on the passenger side to get the header to fit but other than that, everything went pretty smooth. I also need to email Nate (unless he chimes in here) to ask about the cross member that the carrier bearing bolts to. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to shim it up or get a different (taller) carrier bearing. Just seems like its a a steep angle from the tranny which adds to the angle of the rear driveshaft. I'll try to take a picture of it later.

67cheby 07-17-2011 08:05 PM

WOW...that looks KILLER !!!

bruin_d 07-17-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4795654)
WOW...that looks KILLER !!!

Thanks man. I left one thing out I still need to do. I can't get the stupid distributed cap on! I need to pull my remote reservoir off and do some clearancing on that lip in order for it to go.

67cheby 07-17-2011 08:12 PM

i am considering a COMPU-TRONIX distributor-less ignition system ...to avoid this problem !!! only issue is it is about $700....

burbguy77 07-17-2011 08:14 PM

how much did htat crossmember cost you?

bruin_d 07-17-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4795667)
i am considering a COMPU-TRONIX distributor-less ignition system ...to avoid this problem !!! only issue is it is about $700....

I don't have enough cheddar left to afford that this time around. Is it bad that I'm already thinking about what I want to do in a few years when I pull it apart again to paint it?

bruin_d 07-17-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burbguy77 (Post 4795672)
how much did htat crossmember cost you?

I think they're going for $1099 right now. Go to porterbuiltfabrication.com

jmedero 07-17-2011 09:06 PM

The carrier bearing I used did not need to be shimmed. The base was taller then the oe one I took out. CPP has a billet one they sell. 67cheby has it on his. My buddy has a Mallory small cap hei with the remote power box. Should make good on that tight space you have there.
Juan
Posted via Mobile Device

bruin_d 07-17-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmedero (Post 4795784)
The carrier bearing I used did not need to be shimmed. The base was taller then the oe one I took out. CPP has a billet one they sell. 67cheby has i on his. My buddy has a Mallory small cap hei with the remote power box. Should make good on that tight space you have there.
Juan
Posted via Mobile Device

First of all, there's no way I'm pulling the motor out to change the distributer. Second, does your buddy have a big block in his? Mine is the MSD pro billet with mechanical advance, I didn't think they got much smaller.
As far as the carrier goes, I'll have to look into that. However, isn't CPP the company people keep complaining about getting their parts so late? If it is, with my luck, I'm going to need to find somewhere else. I could be getting them confused with another company though.

jmedero 07-17-2011 10:13 PM

No you got it right... It's them. Lol.

My buddy is running that cap in a 57 with a big block. I know they are diff trucks I just know that cap frees up a bit of space. I will be switching to one when I work on my nova.
Posted via Mobile Device

YBNORML 07-18-2011 12:40 AM

Looks wicked!! Excellent work. I'm curious about your steering shaft. Nate told me that in order to run headers with a big block I would need to split the shaft and run a third knuckle as well as an idler to keep everything in check. I notice your only running two. Did you do something different?
Posted via Mobile Device

project 67 sub 07-18-2011 03:01 AM

inland empire driveline in ontario california actually makes that billet and polyurethane carrier bearing you guys are talking about, that cpp sells. you can go on their website and also give them a cal,l and probably might be able to save some headache on the whole deal getting it directly from the manufacturer

bruin_d 07-18-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 4796271)
Looks wicked!! Excellent work. I'm curious about your steering shaft. Nate told me that in order to run headers with a big block I would need to split the shaft and run a third knuckle as well as an idler to keep everything in check. I notice your only running two. Did you do something different?
Posted via Mobile Device

I didn't do anything special. Maybe its the headers I'm using that gives it the room?

bruin_d 07-18-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by project 67 sub (Post 4796395)
inland empire driveline in ontario california actually makes that billet and polyurethane carrier bearing you guys are talking about, that cpp sells. you can go on their website and also give them a cal,l and probably might be able to save some headache on the whole deal getting it directly from the manufacturer

Nate recommended them too. I'll probably hit them up today. Thanks.

bruin_d 07-18-2011 03:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was looking through a bunch of the pictures I've taken and thought I'd repost some as a before/after.

kev2809 07-18-2011 03:09 PM

wow...what did you do with all the wires that ran across the top of the firewall?

Wildstreak 07-18-2011 03:12 PM

He cut that crap out lol. if you go to a painless harness or a similar brand, you can run the wire by the rad for a cleaner look, Thats what I did...

67cheby 07-18-2011 03:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my carrier bearing set up , had to build a spacer to go under it. the trailing arm mounts have been shaved and the loop over the driveline raised !!

bruin_d 07-18-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809 (Post 4797048)
wow...what did you do with all the wires that ran across the top of the firewall?

Most of was junk I don't need like AC, blower motor, coil/distributer, windshield washer motor, one wire alt, headlights...crap...guess I better connect that last one back up:lol:. Believe it or not, just re-routing will clean it up a ton.

bruin_d 07-18-2011 03:37 PM

67cheby, thanks man. I think I need to do the same thing. Otherwise it seems like the driveshaft is pointed down too much coming out of the tranny.

YBNORML 07-19-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruin_d (Post 4796436)
I didn't do anything special. Maybe its the headers I'm using that gives it the room?

I dunno, I'm still waiting on my parts from Nate. Once they get here I'll check it out. The headers I chose are from a 67-69 camaro. What are yours?
Posted via Mobile Device

bruin_d 07-19-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YBNORML (Post 4799617)
I dunno, I'm still waiting on my parts from Nate. Once they get here I'll check it out. The headers I chose are from a 67-69 camaro. What are yours?
Posted via Mobile Device

They're chevelle 3/4 length if i remember correctly.t

bruin_d 07-19-2011 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You have no idea how big of an accomplishment this is for me. This is the biggest wiring job I've EVER done. The blinkers/lights work, starter works, and the alternator is wired.