The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Just an Old Truck" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=517235)

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 10:57 PM

Re: Project "Just an Old Truck"

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5749530)
A meet would be cool.
I'm about 90 miles from St. Louis.

Then I will plan an extra day just in case. I am also planning to drive the old girl, shh, I haven't told the wife yet! :lol:

Rusbuilt 12-09-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5749425)
Your truck should resemble this one.
These are 18/20's,...

That truck looks so good!! I can't wait to see your 20/22 combo!:metal:

C10_ustacould 12-09-2012 11:20 PM

Thanks brother, I appreciate the good words! Now about that parachute... :lol:

Rusbuilt 12-09-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5749618)
Thanks brother, I appreciate the good words! Now about that parachute... :lol:

Haha! It could be all yours... If I really had it!:lol:

gringoloco 12-10-2012 01:05 AM

Can't remember; did you do the trailing arm flip on this one? That will help correct pinion angle, too. Wheels are gonna look good! :chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

shawno72 12-10-2012 10:42 AM

I think your truck is gonna look great with those wheels!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Portmod7 12-10-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5749520)
That is why you are a guru!

In all seriousness, I appreciate your willingness to offer assistance and answer questions all the research you do. Rob (Hart_Rod) and I were talking last night about the quality of board members and the importance of guys like you, Scoti, STP67-72, hot trux, N2Trux, n2billet, havinsomefun, 67cheby, portmod7, and grigoloco (to name a few that have helped me) maintaining its integrity. I hope I can repay the deeds to those, like you, who pay it forward.

On another note, I graduated High School across the river from St. Louis and will be up that way next August, if it's not too far maybe we can meet up and do a little bench racing. :metal:

Daaaang, I made the list! Not sure I deserve that, but thank you!

I agree 100%. This board is full of great people who are very helpful. If I need to know something, 99% of the time I can search this site and find it. If it's not there, you can ask a question and usually have it answered the same day. Pretty cool little online community that's been established here. Not to mention some of the very high profile trucks that have their builds posted here. Pretty cool. :chevy:

67cheby 12-10-2012 12:01 PM

very nice work on the trans crossmember

C10_ustacould 12-10-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 5749826)
Can't remember; did you do the trailing arm flip on this one? That will help correct pinion angle, too. Wheels are gonna look good! :chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

When I started the tail shaft was 5° down and the pinion was 0° (neutral), and the output shaft and the pinion gear were the same height from the ground. Right now I will have to estimate how much raising the tail shaft corrected the downward angle at the tail shaft, but lets say it is now 3° down. Having moved the tailshaft up 1" the output shaft should be 1" above the pinion gear, which opens the possibility of increasing the pinion angle (up). I have a choice here, I can install the 3.5° shims I borrowed from Hart_Rod or flip the trailing arm brackets. The shims are the easiest, and could provide a good test but depending on how many degrees it changes the pinion angle, moving the trailing arm bracket might be the better permanent fix. Does anyone know how many degrees the pinion angle changes by flipping the brackets? The other possible advantage to moving the brackets might help with is centering the wheel in the wheel well. So, I am going to try the shims next and then the flip if the shim help eliminate vibration. I will try and get numbers at each step so that we will know how the flip affects the pinion angle.

C10_ustacould 12-10-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portmod7 (Post 5750221)
Daaaang, I made the list! Not sure I deserve that, but thank you!

I agree 100%. This board is full of great people who are very helpful. If I need to know something, 99% of the time I can search this site and find it. If it's not there, you can ask a question and usually have it answered the same day. Pretty cool little online community that's been established here. Not to mention some of the very high profile trucks that have their builds posted here. Pretty cool. :chevy:

There are many more, I just didn't have time to name everyone. Many times it's not answering a question directly, it's having taken the time to document projects throughly or creating a new way to fix or modify something. And sometimes it's just a "hey bro your truck is looking good!" that keeps people motivated. Good bunch of folks started this forum and guide it each day, we noobs must conduct ourselves in ways that perpetuate this helpful culture! I really enjoy my truck, and I enjoy the time I spend here on the board almost as much! :metal:

72BlckButy 12-10-2012 04:02 PM

And I'm just 20-25 from his 90. :)

C10_ustacould 12-10-2012 10:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Wheels got here today! But the rears don't fit... wrong backspace. Seems like the website that says they make a 5" bs is wrong so I was sent 5.5"bs. I am working with the guys at Old School Wheel on a fix. The fix (spacers) will be temporary until I build the longer rear end I have. Crappy pics in the garage...

lolife99 12-10-2012 10:28 PM

Wheels look good.
Sorry about Coys shipping out the wrong BS.

Rusbuilt 12-10-2012 10:29 PM

Yessss!!!!!! So nice!

Portmod7 12-10-2012 10:32 PM

That's a bummer about the rears, but it still looks awesome!

Got any info on plugging the tank filler hole in the cab? That's on my to-do list...
Posted via Mobile Device

Justin36 12-10-2012 10:34 PM

Looks great! So you are driving out to St.Louis?
Posted via Mobile Device

sourkraut 12-10-2012 10:46 PM

Ran thru your build might have missed it but whose fuel tank did you use? considering moving mine under the bed too.

72BlckButy 12-10-2012 10:50 PM

Love it!

C10_ustacould 12-10-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5751469)
Wheels look good.
Sorry about Coys shipping out the wrong BS.

I appreciate your restraint as I know you have more to say...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5751472)
Yessss!!!!!! So nice!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin36 (Post 5751480)
Looks great! So you are driving out to St.Louis?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Hope to next summer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourkraut (Post 5751500)
Ran thru your build might have missed it but whose fuel tank did you use? considering moving mine under the bed too.

I used a Boyd Welding tank, good product and very nice people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5751510)
Love it!

Thanks, I wasn't sure how I'd like them but I knew I wanted to do something different. And, besides the fact that they don't fit, I love them too! :lol:

Justin36 12-10-2012 11:35 PM

Can't wait to see it backed out in the open!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bennett68C10 12-11-2012 12:14 AM

Wheels look great on your truck, sorry to hear about the bs mistake. Can't say I'm shocked, they did the same thing to me and told me to run a spacer if it bothered me. Eventhough their customer service sucks they do have some very nice wheels as seen on your truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 12-11-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin36 (Post 5751616)
Can't wait to see it backed out in the open!
Posted via Mobile Device

As soon as the tires aren't pinned against the bed sides! :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

C10_ustacould 12-12-2012 12:06 AM

With the help of some spacers I borrowed from Hart_Rod I was able to get the wheels off of the bed sides. I don't want to run spacers permanently, and I really like these wheels so I am going to start collecting parts to rebuild the 70-72 rear end I have sitting in the corner. The one thing that swapping the rear end won't fix is the placement of the wheel in the wheel well. Since I lowered it the rear wheels are too far back in the opening. Does anyone know if flipping the trailing arm brackets will correct this? Please let me know if you have any info on this. Measurement pics I took...

C10_ustacould 12-12-2012 12:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics... Gonna have to do something about the drums and the exhaust, whew that is UGLY! :lol:

shawno72 12-12-2012 07:56 AM

Wheels look great. Big wheels = big view :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device