The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

1976gmc20 10-22-2020 10:48 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Snowing again today here, and blowing too so all the porches fill up with snow.

72c20customcamper 10-23-2020 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made a 2 liter starter for the coffee chocolate stout . Going to pitch yeast at 70 degrees and put it on the stir plate for 24 hours

72c20customcamper 10-23-2020 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeast is pitched and the stir plate is stirring . The reason for this is to take a 5 gallon yeast culture to 15 gallon about 650 billion more yeast cells. Yeast from the package about 300 billion

Steeveedee 10-23-2020 10:09 PM

Applied Boiled Linseed Oil to finish the white cedar rocking chair my wife bought. That's the last piece. She bought two coffee tables, two regular chairs and a glider, as well. I'm liking how the sun and the BLO have turned the color of the wood. I'll get pics at some point. I don't really understand why we have this Paddy O'Furniture, since we don't sit out there in the back yard, anyway. It's either hotter than hell's braze hinges or too cold, by her claim. :lol:

1976gmc20 10-24-2020 12:21 PM

More snow shoveling ...

Was a project to get the 4runner out of the garage to go feed/water the horses. If I don't keep the apron clear then it packs down and pretty soon you can't get in/out of the garage without hitting the top.

Taking a break right now but I still have to shovel the deck and a path to the wood pile, and it is still snowing. Will have to clear the drive again this evening to get out to the barn again.

Fun driving in the snow however ;) I had to put the Toy in 4wd just to go down the driveway without sliding the front wheels all the time. Dang automatic transmissions :(

crossfire84 10-24-2020 05:21 PM

Bought a used 80 gallon Saylor beall 2 stage 6.5hp compressor for$300! Score.

Steeveedee 10-24-2020 08:55 PM

Replaced the valves in the shower at the rental house. 4 hours worth of work, considering hardware store runs. Then I crawled under the house and took pics of the black mold to send to a contractor I know. That kind of construction is in my past, what with all the arthritis. At least I got the valves OK. Now, the kitchen sink faucet is dripping. They're getting a whole new faucet; I ain't standing there for an hour changing out o-rings and such on a 40-year-old faucet.

GOPAPA 10-25-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8826726)
Replaced the valves in the shower at the rental house. 4 hours worth of work, considering hardware store runs. Then I crawled under the house and took pics of the black mold to send to a contractor I know. That kind of construction is in my past, what with all the arthritis. At least I got the valves OK. Now, the kitchen sink faucet is dripping. They're getting a whole new faucet; I ain't standing there for an hour changing out o-rings and such on a 40-year-old faucet.

I hear ya Steve ,,our faucets are 20 years old and I (or someone) will replace the whole works with new ones ,,P-traps and all ..I too do not like replacing rubber washers and tightening them to stop the leak and then the handle turns hard and so you loosen it and it leaks..

1976gmc20 10-25-2020 10:59 AM

The trouble with shower/bath faucets is that you usually have to tear out the whole wall to get at them :(

I did finally manage to peel back the plastic surround to replace the leaking elbow to the spout that was flooding my cellar (back in May I think it was).

I keep wanting to design/build a house with a mechanical room somewhere in the middle that all the plumbing just goes through an unfinished wall into the adjoining bathrooms/kitchen.

special-K 10-25-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8826884)
I hear ya Steve ,,our faucets are 20 years old and I (or someone) will replace the whole works with new ones ,,P-traps and all ..I too do not like replacing rubber washers and tightening them to stop the leak and then the handle turns hard and so you loosen it and it leaks..

This well water used to eat up the rubber washers really fast. I'd fix one then the other would start dripping. Went through seats from not fixing the drips soon enough. When I had to replace a faucet I'd get the, then new, ceramic seat/seal faucets. The problem stopped. I have never had to replace a seal in any of the ceramic faucets.

GOPAPA 10-25-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8827058)
This well water used to eat up the rubber washers really fast. I'd fix one then the other would start dripping. Went through seats from not fixing the drips soon enough. When I had to replace a faucet I'd get the, then new, ceramic seat/seal faucets. The problem stopped. I have never had to replace a seal in any of the ceramic faucets.

I will look into that Tim,, the wife would love ceramic faucets ,,thx

Steeveedee 10-25-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8826932)
The trouble with shower/bath faucets is that you usually have to tear out the whole wall to get at them :(

I did finally manage to peel back the plastic surround to replace the leaking elbow to the spout that was flooding my cellar (back in May I think it was).

I keep wanting to design/build a house with a mechanical room somewhere in the middle that all the plumbing just goes through an unfinished wall into the adjoining bathrooms/kitchen.

If I ever build a house that is exactly what I'd do, too! The main water users would be clustered around two rooms, to keep things spread out. Water heater, stuff like that all in their own little room(s).

1976gmc20 10-25-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8827118)
If I ever build a house that is exactly what I'd do, too! The main water users would be clustered around two rooms, to keep things spread out. Water heater, stuff like that all in their own little room(s).

Our plumbing is all centralized but not all that accessible. The tub/shower faucet is buried in a wall with the stairway on the back side, so there is a huge timber running diagonally up the wall so you can't pull off the paneling.

And they apparently built the bathroom around the tub. I think I would have to cut or beat on it to get it out and then a new one wouldn't go in. What I may eventually do is replace it with one of those shorter trailer house tubs, and build out the wall 5-6" on one end for the faucet, with a narrow removable panel so at least you could get an arm in there with a wrench to hold something while you take it apart. That's what caused the problem: the spout rotted off and when I tried to unscrew it the plastic pipe twisted out of the elbow. I managed to make up a short piece and glue it in from the outside but apparently the elbow got cracked too. It blew out later.

The house was originally just a 24x24 foot cabin before the addition, so the bathroom is about the smallest you could ever imagine and still have a tub.

If it was just me, I would just put in a shower stall and be done with it.

Zippi 10-26-2020 08:41 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got my traffic light cleaned, repaired/tested, and hung in the garage. All 3 eyebrows were cracked or broke. Ordered a sequencer for it so the lights will change from one to the other.

GOPAPA 10-26-2020 09:03 AM

That's a nice addition to your garage Robert.. is this a replica or a real traffic light ? I see ya got a few license plates on the wall ( I am a small time collector of old plates) and what looks like a airplane propeller ther too..,,and also some expensive plywood resting against the work bench.. The Chevy Truck makes the room light up as well..
Pretty neat that the red green and yellow light goes thru the rotation .. good job you did.

Zippi 10-26-2020 09:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8827333)
That's a nice addition to your garage Robert.. is this a replica or a real traffic light ? I see ya got a few license plates on the wall ( I am a small time collector of old plates) and what looks like a airplane propeller ther too..,,and also some expensive plywood resting against the work bench.. The Chevy Truck makes the room light up as well..
Pretty neat that the red green and yellow light goes thru the rotation .. good job you did.

Yup. The traffic light is the real deal. Got it at the local scrap yard. I have been flying Giant Scale RC planes for the past 40 years. The 3/4" ply is left over from the floor I put in my new 10X12 Shed out back. The scrap yard I got the traffic light at is called Salvage Candy. Didn't even know it was there but they said they moved there 6 years ago. It's out in the middle of nowhere.

Ol Blue K20 10-26-2020 09:36 AM

I tried rc airplanes years ago. I did more crashing than flying. That plane looks very nice.

special-K 10-26-2020 10:23 AM

That 's what I was thinking. You sure must be good at landing to have such a nice plane. That must be so cool to fly that. I'd enjoy watching it fly. Not too far from me an RC club has a property they fly on, and it's right along the road where you can see them flying.

FleetsidePaul 10-26-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippi (Post 8827329)
I got my traffic light cleaned, repaired/tested, and hung in the garage. All 3 eyebrows were cracked or broke. Ordered a sequencer for it so the lights will change from one to the other.

God I wish my garage was that clean

The light looks really cool.

LockDoc 10-26-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8827370)
God I wish my garage was that clean

The light looks really cool.

Right now my garage/shop looks like a salvage yard.... inside.

LockDoc

72c20customcamper 10-28-2020 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made some pickles. Hard to judge but that's a gallon jar

72c20customcamper 10-29-2020 08:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Started the tile in the bathroom .

DeadheadNM 11-01-2020 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I’d really like to try my hand at pickles someday.

Put together a batch of green chile chicken stew

Anyone carve pumpkins?

57taskforce 11-01-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8830018)
I’d really like to try my hand at pickles someday.

Put together a batch of green chile chicken stew

Anyone carve pumpkins?

Nice Pete, I think there’s some green Chile stew In my future as well. Did you order a box of hatch?

1976gmc20 11-01-2020 02:26 PM

Most of the snow has melted so I took a hike this morning :)