The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

bj383ss 06-22-2014 08:13 AM

Re: pdx-sanity66

PDX I look forward to seeing what others say about electric fans as I want to do this as well. You say you welded up the firewall insulation plug holes. What are your plans for insulating the firewall. Just curious as I will be working on the cab soon and need to decide if I will keep them or not. I plan on welding up all the holes you did. I figure the less holes there are the less heat and fumes that will come in the cab.

Bret

siggyfreud 06-22-2014 04:06 PM

+2 on the Lincoln Mark 8 fan. Bought one off ebay 7-8 years ago and no regrets. Planning on fabbing something to mount it to the rad better than the pull through things. Fan has a low and high setting. On high that thing moves a LOT of air. No problem in traffic on 95+ degree days.

pdxhall 06-22-2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6730906)
PDX I look forward to seeing what others say about electric fans as I want to do this as well. You say you welded up the firewall insulation plug holes. What are your plans for insulating the firewall. Just curious as I will be working on the cab soon and need to decide if I will keep them or not. I plan on welding up all the holes you did. I figure the less holes there are the less heat and fumes that will come in the cab
Bret

I'm looking at a coating much like Lizard Skin but less expensive. I sent an email off to the supplier to get some more info. If it will work I'll post more info on it then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark 66 (Post 6730875)
Truck is coming along nice. as far as a fan. look at a mark 8 Lincoln next time you go to the junk yard. I was kicking it around last time I needed a fan. ended up buying complete rad with fan kit.mark 8 fan at the time was supposed to be a good used alternative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6731360)
+2 on the Lincoln Mark 8 fan. Bought one off ebay 7-8 years ago and no regrets. Planning on fabbing something to mount it to the rad better than the pull through things. Fan has a low and high setting. On high that thing moves a LOT of air. No problem in traffic on 95+ degree days.

Thanks guys, I've read some about the Taurus and the Mark 8 fans and it sounds like a good option. Siggy, do you have pics of your fan? I didn't see any on your thread.

siggyfreud 06-23-2014 01:11 AM

I'll snap a few pics tomorrow of the fan and post them here. They'll just be of the fan though as it's not mounted currently.

pdxhall 06-23-2014 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6732167)
I'll snap a few pics tomorrow of the fan and post them here. They'll just be of the fan though as it's not mounted currently.

Thanks Siggy. Could you measure the thickness of it, also. That could be an issue.

siggyfreud 06-23-2014 09:12 AM

Will do.

siggyfreud 06-23-2014 10:05 PM

The fan, in it's shroud, is:

1'10" Wide
1'4" Tall
And a smidge under 5" at its deepest point, which is the center of the fan from nose to back side.

Does this help?

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0dh1vzcn.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/...ps84mdo4xb.jpg

pdxhall 06-23-2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6733462)
The fan, in it's shroud, is:

1'10" Wide
1'4" Tall
And a smidge under 5" at its deepest point, which is the center of the fan from nose to back side.

Does this help?

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0dh1vzcn.jpg

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/...ps84mdo4xb.jpg

Thanks for the info Siggy.

pdxhall 07-18-2014 03:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I can't believe it's been over 3 weeks since I've posted anything. Summer has been keeping me busy. I've been working on Sanity buy I've also been doing my fair share of playing. A couple of car shows, The Waterfront Blues Festival, and other stuff. I've been keeping up on other's threads but neglecting my own. Here's a little update on my work.
1. I didn't get a pic of it when I got it but here's one of the trans pan on the trans.
2. I blasted the upper inside of the firewall where there had been some leaking and there was some surface rust. I then coated any areas not accessible with Rust Encapsulator and then epoxy primer over the entire area.
3. I've been gathering parts while I've been working on the body. I want to get as much prepping and painting of needed parts while the weather is good.

pdxhall 07-18-2014 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to tell you my good luck story of the year. I was telling a friend of mine about my truck and my plans for it about a year ago and he told me he had an Edelbrock Carb that I could have. He said it was a 1406 that had bee sitting on a shelf in his garage for about a year and he wanted to get rid of it.
I told him that would be great and I would have to get over and get it some time. I didn't really need a carb right then and I figured it was used and would probably need rebuilt so I really didn't rush over. Now a year later, after the subject coming up a couple of times during the year, we were getting ready to go to the Waterfront Blues Festival, an event we attend every year and we always hang out with my friend and his wife while we're there. Again the subject of the carb came up and it was decided he would bring it with him and we'd meet up in the parking lot and he'd give it to me. All went as planned but when he opened his trunk there sat a brand new Edelbrock 1406 carb, fuel line, throttle kit, and an adapter for a spread bore manifold which I don't need.
I was floored. He would take nothing for it. He said that it had come with a truck he'd bought for $1000. Apparently, the owner had bought it intending to put it on the truck but then sold the truck to my friend who didn't install it either and then scrapped the truck for $600 and had no use for it.
My lucky day. This is the exact carburetor I was planning on getting. :metal:

bj383ss 07-18-2014 06:33 AM

Nice pile of parts. I need everything there you got except the column. Which Lokar shifter did you go with the 23".

Great score on the Edelbrock. That is the same carb I have although mine is not new. I had to do some major cleaning to get it useable.

Bret

Ta2Don 07-18-2014 09:15 AM

I agree, Nice pile of parts...:metal:

Glad to see ya back after it!!! :uhmk:

1963c-10 07-18-2014 09:52 AM

Nice score on the carb and parts!!

TJ's Chevy 07-18-2014 10:09 AM

Nice score on the parts bud! :chevy:

Bomp 07-18-2014 11:35 PM

Are you planning on leaving the underside of the dash white like that? I like it. I plan on using under dash lighting to help in illuminating the cab. That white would really reflect the light.
Congrats on the tranny pan and Major Score on the carb.
Always dig your progress.

pdxhall 07-20-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6765707)
Nice pile of parts. I need everything there you got except the column. Which Lokar shifter did you go with the 23".

Great score on the Edelbrock. That is the same carb I have although mine is not new. I had to do some major cleaning to get it useable.

Bret

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6765827)
I agree, Nice pile of parts...:metal:

Glad to see ya back after it!!! :uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6765878)
Nice score on the carb and parts!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6765909)
Nice score on the parts bud! :chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6766710)
Are you planning on leaving the underside of the dash white like that? I like it. I plan on using under dash lighting to help in illuminating the cab. That white would really reflect the light.
Congrats on the tranny pan and Major Score on the carb.
Always dig your progress.

Thanks guys! I'm accumulating quite the pile. I'm hoping to get the firewall painted this next weekend and then I'll be putting the cab back on the frame to start aligning body parts and finishing up the inside of the cab.
That white is just some light gray epoxy primer and it will be going away but the interior color should still be quite reflective.:thumbs:

I got the rest of the floor stripped, cut back the cab fuel tank mounts, and gave the areas around the back floor and back of the cab a good coat of rust encapsulator. I had to let that dry good so I'll be sraying the epoxy primer on the floor this next weekend.
I've decided to go with Lizard skin for sound and heat insulation on the floor. The reason for this is I'm going to carpet just the front area of the floor much the same as the stock rubber mat covers. This leaves under and behind the seats uncovered except for Lizard skin and paint. I have modified the jack and accessory mounts so I can have them mounted under my faux stock bucket seats like the stock jack setup.

pdxhall 07-27-2014 04:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I got quite a bit done on Sanity's cab this weekend. The inner and outer firewall, the rest of the cab floor and halfway up the back wall of the cab have been stripped and epoxy primed and the outer firewall painted with Eastwood's
2K Ceramic underhood black. It's a single stage urethane 4:1 in 20% gloss. My plan is to paint the firewall the same as the rest of the cab but at this point I'm not sure when the cab will get painted so I decided on this paint since it is the same thing I'm planning on using for the inner fenders and radiator support. I really like the way it laid out and the sheen is perfect for what I am after. In fact, I was looking for a similar look for the dash and now after seeing the results I have decided that my dash will also be painted with this also. It should be very durable with the suspended ceramics and being a urethane. What do you think?

bj383ss 07-27-2014 07:49 AM

Looks awesome man! Very similar sheen to the Hot Rod Flatz Black I am using on everything. Your floor came out great. Can't wait to paint mine.

Bigru 07-27-2014 11:03 AM

Looks good, I like it!

Bomp 07-28-2014 08:23 PM

That firewall looks sweet on Sanity.

pdxhall 08-06-2014 06:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 6777688)
Looks awesome man! Very similar sheen to the Hot Rod Flatz Black I am using on everything. Your floor came out great. Can't wait to paint mine.

Thanks bj, it's great to finally get to this point on the interior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigru (Post 6777847)
Looks good, I like it!

Thanks, man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6779885)
That firewall looks sweet on Sanity.

Thanks Greg, I'm looking forward to the get together this weekend. I'll finally get to meet Steiner.

I added a couple of things to the parts pile. This was waiting for me when I got home from work.

pdxhall 08-08-2014 03:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My first full day off and I got some stuff done on the cab. The back interior panel and the rear cab corners have been stripped, rust treated in the
"impossible to get at" areas, and epoxy primer. I got everything wiped down and ready to spray epoxy and realized I didn't have enough. I had to stop and go get more to finish. Different brand, different color, but it's covered now and protected. I also drug out my inner fenders and stripped the undercoating off of the one side and stripped most of the inner side of one of the others. I'm going to drag out the sand blaster to finish them up, though. That way I can get in all the corners.
On the chassis side of things, I ordered some lengths of 3/8 ss tubing for running my fuel line. I'd like to get that done before setting the cab on the frame. I also need to start the install of my shifter and do some measurements for cutting a hole in the floor for it. I've got another full day tomorrow to work on the truck so I'll have updates.

LostMy65 08-08-2014 08:26 AM

Looking good!

1963c-10 08-08-2014 09:29 AM

Nice work on the cab and fenders. I can appreciate the time involved as I'm in the same process myself. Keep up the good work and updates!!!

pdxhall 08-09-2014 04:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 6793359)
Looking good!

Thanks, man. How's the blue truck coming? I've noticed you picking up some parts over on the parts thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6793425)
Nice work on the cab and fenders. I can appreciate the time involved as I'm in the same process myself. Keep up the good work and updates!!!

Thanks. I've been keeping an eye on your thread, also. This part of the job is my least favorite but I'm doing as much as I can myself. I wish I knew a little more about it but I'm learning as I go and still having fun.

I've been trying to do a little more on the chassis as I strip, sand, and prime body parts. Sometimes I just need a little break.
Today I bolted up the starter motor and I also had to trim the flexplate cover just a little bit where it goes around the starter. I also installed the trans dipstick and the mounting plate for my shifter. I did some preliminary measuring of where I want the shifter hole in the hump. I also measured and drilled a couple of new mounting holes in the crossmember for the driveshaft carrier bearing mount. I'll save pictures of that for when I install the driveshaft.
I also removed the lower radiator mounts and I'm going to reattach them in a better location for the radiator. They were just a little too close to the trans cooler hook up and lower radiator hose for my liking.

clemdaddy 08-09-2014 07:40 AM

just caught up on your build and it looks like everything is moving along nicely. tons on work already done on the prep work for paint... interior and firewall look great.

Oregon 1967 GMC 08-09-2014 09:17 PM

Looking really nice, look forward to following the rest of the story. I thought you said you couldn't paint? It looks awesome.

TJ's Chevy 08-10-2014 11:19 AM

Look insane bud! lol! :chevy:

siggyfreud 08-10-2014 11:32 PM

Looking great. Nice work on the cab! Where are you going to move the rad mounts to?

pdxhall 08-11-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6794633)
just caught up on your build and it looks like everything is moving along nicely. tons on work already done on the prep work for paint... interior and firewall look great.

Thanks for looking in, Clem. I've been trying to get as much prep work done while the weather is good and accumulating parts for assembly when the rains come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC (Post 6795542)
Looking really nice, look forward to following the rest of the story. I thought you said you couldn't paint? It looks awesome.

Thanks for looking in, man. It was great meeting up with you at Greg's. Let's see that build thread started on yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6796042)
Look insane bud! lol! :chevy:

Thanks, T.J.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6796989)
Looking great. Nice work on the cab! Where are you going to move the rad mounts to?

Thanks, Siggy. I'm just moving the mounts slightly further apart. I probably could have made due where they were but it just didn't work for me. I'll post some more pics as I do the modification and set the radiator in.

I ordered some 3/8" SS tubing for my fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. I will run the stainless the length needed along the frame rail with a filter inline and the connections from the stainless to the pump and tanks will be flex lines using Aeroquip Startlite hose and -an fittings to allow for movement and vibrations. I want to get the SS line attached on the frame rail before putting the cab back on. I hope that the tubing shows up before my next days off so I can get that done and then put the cab on the following weekend. I also ordered enough of the tubing to do my trans cooler lines in the same way, hard lines with flex lines on the ends for connections. I'm still trying to decide on electric cooling fans. I don't want to spend a bunch, and I'm having a hard time trusting the cheaper ones. I wanted to find a Taurus or Lincoln fan but they are too thick to work for me. I am thinking about going with 2 12" fans rather than one 16" fan so if one fan fails I will have a back up. I am open to any comments or ideas on what might be best.

Bomp 08-11-2014 12:27 AM

Thanks for coming on down and hanging out at the meet up.
Your build always looks so clean.
Who are you getting your ss lines from?

pdxhall 08-11-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6797065)
Thanks for coming on down and hanging out at the meet up.
Your build always looks so clean.
Who are you getting your ss lines from?

Thanks for having me. I had fun checking out the trucks in person and visiting with you truck guys.
I'm getting my lines from Inline Tube. I got my brake lines from them and was very pleased so I went with them again for the fuel lines.

siggyfreud 08-11-2014 01:04 AM

I too may end up needing a thinner fan. I want to resuse the Mark 8 fan, but if I end up adding AC and a shroud I may need something thinner to clear the pulleys. If it were me I'd go with 2 fans over one, BUT, wire them on separate relays otherwise you'll still have a single point of failure.

pdxhall 08-20-2014 08:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I started bending and fitting my SS fuel lines along the frame rail this afternoon. I'm pleased with the way it is turning out so far.

Oregon 1967 GMC 08-20-2014 09:44 PM

Looking good brother!

1963c-10 08-21-2014 10:50 AM

Nice work....looking great!!

pdxhall 08-22-2014 04:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC (Post 6810202)
Looking good brother!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1963c-10 (Post 6810740)
Nice work....looking great!!

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate the comments.

Today was an awesome day for Sanity. For the first time in a couple of years, the cab and body were joined back together. :two::two::two:

pdxhall 08-22-2014 04:29 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I was diggin' it so much that I just HAD to bolt a couple more body parts up to get a better look. :metal:

Bomp 08-22-2014 05:48 AM

Sanity has come along ways. Looking really good Brett.

Bigru 08-22-2014 06:36 AM

X2