The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   "Geronimo" 54' 3100 LS built in PA (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=690612)

oldman3 09-17-2017 10:23 AM

Re: "Geronimo" 54' 3100 LS built in PA

99, I agree about the spray guns. I did mine with a cheap HVLP gun and my truck came out nice (for an at home job) even won best paint at a couple car shows. It's mainly used for primer now, since Mark bought better guns for paint and clear...Jim

lower50's 09-18-2017 08:43 AM

Coming along nice. I have seen some great paint jobs with really cheap guns, so your one up on them.

99 to Life 10-05-2017 11:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
10-5 Sorry for the lack of updates. My life has been super crazy. Finally about done with paint. Now onto final assembly. I'm happy with the color scheme. I seem to struggle with colors sometimes, I'll think about it for months and months sometimes. I did base clear on the tan and single stage on the blue. Some of the blue I didn't get to spray as wet looking, so I shot clear over it. Looks really nice even without cut and buff.

I don't have a booth so its hard not to get some contamination, but again its not going to be a perfect paint job for what this truck is.

OutlawDrifter 10-05-2017 11:07 AM

Looks great, I like the color combo!

MIKESAD50 10-05-2017 12:05 PM

Thats looking great. combo looks nice

lower50's 10-05-2017 06:08 PM

Can't wait to see it in person.

oldman3 10-05-2017 07:15 PM

99, paint looks great to me, nice choice on two colors...Jim

Advanced Design 10-05-2017 07:41 PM

Looks very good!

joedoh 10-06-2017 09:49 AM

jeeze o man thats a gorgeous color

Flysocal 10-06-2017 08:30 PM

Man I really like the color!

SalvagedSouls 10-09-2017 08:52 AM

Looking good!

99 to Life 10-09-2017 11:20 AM

thanks guys, yeah colors are working great. Just hope we can nail the upholstery and make this interior really pop. I plan to do some gauge conversions also.

rusty76 11-17-2017 11:12 AM

I need to be following this build. Love the interior colors.

99 to Life 11-28-2017 09:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
11-28 Sorry for Hiatus. Haven't been able to upload photos on my home cpu and really no progress on Geronimo except finally getting it down to my new garage. Got a bit more space, light and "heat" in there which is nice. But... I have more bills to pay :( I got one truck outta my garage and replaced it with a friends 54' panel. I'v mentioned this truck on here bf. I was suppose to finish this truck years ago for him and it just didn't come to fruition. So here we are now. Plans are to finish geronimo, then get this panel running (its a crate LS but has been sitting for over 5 years) maybe wire the truck, get brakes on it, hook up steering, air ride, fuel and then ship it back to him. he did all the suspension. the last pic is when he had it aired out in his garage.

joedoh 11-28-2017 10:19 PM

love the shots of the shop Henry!

that 54 looks pretty sharp, should be a quick one for you after all this work on geronimo

99 to Life 11-28-2017 10:30 PM

thanks joedoh. I'm hoping to run some wire this weekend so I can get some welders running in there. been working on my new daily truck I bought wrecked, so once that is finally done I'll be able to get back on geronimo. Hoping to finish my truck by this weekend. also sad note, I sold my COE. just had to do it. Money was way to tight and that truck woulda sat for 3-4 years, and xmas is coming blah blah. But the guy is only 45 min away from me, which is cool. Yeah this panel has had alot done to it. He did all the work till this point. I don't want to completely finish it, but atleast get it running, maybe driving and send it back to him. I traded some work for a lincoln 225 tig he only used a few times.

oldman3 11-29-2017 12:22 AM

99, panel looks great. Sounds like a good trade, work for the welder...Jim

lower50's 11-29-2017 03:11 AM

Good job buddy!! you will love working in your shop. Should help you get work done faster.

47 Fasttoys 11-30-2017 10:39 PM

:sumo:Dangit boy, you sold the COE? And here I was thinking I could take you under my wing, make you into a master COE craftsman. I'm so heartbroken I'll just have to go back to my sandbox and play with myself. LOL, wait a minute I meant by my self.
Rob

lower50's 12-01-2017 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys (Post 8094123)
:sumo:Dangit boy, you sold the COE? And here I was thinking I could take you under my wing, make you into a master COE craftsman. I'm so heartbroken I'll just have to go back to my sandbox and play with myself. LOL, wait a minute I meant by my self.
Rob

If anyone knows how to build one, it would be you.

99 to Life 12-01-2017 12:46 PM

I was hoping Rob didn't find out I sold the COE, I feel like I cheated you all!! my time will come. Honestly I'd rather build a burb first. I'll own another COE someday. I got my hands full at the moment, so it woulda sat far too long for my liking. Saddest part is the guy that bought it is going to "paint" it. Eeek but oh well he'll give it life sooner than I could.

Mains52 12-07-2017 10:23 AM

This build inspired me to go back to an OE frame. Thanks 99

99 to Life 12-07-2017 10:34 AM

awesome, glad it helped motivate you. I really like working with the original frame. We'll see how she rides when its all done. My 49' and soon to be 51' are on bagged s10 frames and the 49' rode great. I have another 49' I'm bagging but using the stock frame. I'v wanted to a C4 IFS on a build at some point also.

Mains52 12-07-2017 10:58 AM

Do you think I could use the control arms and spindles off of the s10 frame with a mustang II kit?

ptc 12-07-2017 06:04 PM

Looking good! -- but man you got it coming at you from all sides it seems like... take a breath, step back for a minute and just take it all in.... ;)

Ok now get back to work! :lol:

99 to Life 12-08-2017 11:14 AM

Main52. I highly doubt that s10 would fit the m2. Just different geometry. Good thing is, you can get new M2 control arms and spindles really cheap. The xmembers and top hats you can get for like $240. So if you are thrifty and have time you can piece the whole front together for around a grand. We paid like 1550 through CPP as a whole kit for Geronimo.

PTC, You got that right, I have many obstacles to overcome. But at the end of the day, I just gotta see the blessings I have and things will work out. I'v only been doing for 8 years, so I got alot of tools an knowledge to gain still!

Mains52 12-08-2017 03:15 PM

Thanks 99 I decided to just buy some piece by piece until I get it finished. The thought crossed my mind to hold out and wait until I can afford an air ride kit for it. But I'm impatient.

99 to Life 12-11-2017 11:48 AM

piece by piece is the way to go esp if you are on a budget. takes alot more time searching for the best deals and making sure you have all the right stuff. but... you save 500 plus bucks. I'm in the same boat, I been piecing together my air ride stuff on my 51'. Just can't afford it all at once.

gigamanx 12-11-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8102279)
piece by piece is the way to go esp if you are on a budget. takes alot more time searching for the best deals and making sure you have all the right stuff. but... you save 500 plus bucks. I'm in the same boat, I been piecing together my air ride stuff on my 51'. Just can't afford it all at once.

That's how its done for sure! The key is to have a plan and stick to it, then start getting the parts to fill that plan. I found an accuair e-level kit with everything including bags for $700. Bags were too small, so I sold them for 4 proper sized bags from another guy who sold all four and shipped to me for $75. then I got a 3 link kit on black Friday special.

So yeah, I've probably saved myself about $1500 just with some patience.

Also just bagged myself a set of 18" ridler wheels for $400. Pretty happy with that find.

99 to Life 12-11-2017 12:04 PM

yah the deals come and go. Sometimes there when you are looking and others not. No need to rush into some things. Xmas time is always a good time to buy the expensive stuff bc of free shipping or good sales. and nothing beats some cheap CL stuff that someone bailed on their project.

99 to Life 01-25-2018 12:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1-25 Been a while. Getting back on this build. My home CPU won't read my phone anymore, so I have to upload pics at my work. anyway. Getting steering hooked back up, got the trans shifter hooked up. Starting to just piece alot of the tedious little things back together. Major projects are still, bed back off, do gas filler, run fuel and brake lines, rip rear end apart, do new brakes etc in rear, ebrake (eventually!). horn, need to hook trans lines up, radiator hoses, alternator, glass needs put in,sound deadner, coat trans tunnel, do shifter boot, seat riser and seatbelts, my speedo and tach conversion needs done, still need to strip and coat front fenders, starting on wiring and transmission wiring soon. also need to fab up a TPS for the carb and trans. I don't feel like spending almost $200 for one. Budget funds are all time low. We will have seat upholstered and then I'll wrap up interior last and AC come this summer.

Goal is to get the truck driving asap. I'll iron out the little stuff throughout the year. I have to bounce around on my 51' this year and also a friends 54' panel. If I'm good enough I can start tearing down my 49' farm use truck and slowly work on some stuff come next winter.

gigamanx 01-25-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8169957)
1-25 Been a while. Getting back on this build. My home CPU won't read my phone anymore, so I have to upload pics at my work. anyway. Getting steering hooked back up, got the trans shifter hooked up. Starting to just piece alot of the tedious little things back together. Major projects are still, bed back off, do gas filler, run fuel and brake lines, rip rear end apart, do new brakes etc in rear, ebrake (eventually!). horn, need to hook trans lines up, radiator hoses, alternator, glass needs put in,sound deadner, coat trans tunnel, do shifter boot, seat riser and seatbelts, my speedo and tach conversion needs done, still need to strip and coat front fenders, starting on wiring and transmission wiring soon. also need to fab up a TPS for the carb and trans. I don't feel like spending almost $200 for one. Budget funds are all time low. We will have seat upholstered and then I'll wrap up interior last and AC come this summer.

Goal is to get the truck driving asap. I'll iron out the little stuff throughout the year. I have to bounce around on my 51' this year and also a friends 54' panel. If I'm good enough I can start tearing down my 49' farm use truck and slowly work on some stuff come next winter.

Nice to see some updates! A running truck sure is nicer to work on :)

oldman3 01-25-2018 08:13 PM

Looking good...Jim

lower50's 01-26-2018 12:48 PM

Glad your back on it. Hope you get it finished on your time line.

cwoodling1 01-28-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8169957)

Looking great man! Building a 50Gmc myself. I’ll start a build thread soon.

99 to Life 02-21-2018 09:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
2-21 Sorry for the lack of updates. I'v actually been working a ton on this truck since my work has been slow I'v had some extra time. Doesn't look like much but tons of little things going on. Made my kill switch for under seat, started routing battery cables and trans controller. Got trans lines ran with all AN fittings, got all the brakes done and fluid to all 4 corners. Had to make my own coupler to connect pedal and booster. Got radiator hoses figured out, took alot of searching! Any of you having an issue with a GM metric PWS pump 16mm x1.5 to a mustang rack (my rack came with 6AN fittings). Done tons of research and just decided to get the AN adapter for the pump (ebay 4-9$) then found a place that premade AN teflon braided hose for $20. I only needed about 1ft distance and for me to make my own line woulda been almost $50. So go that outta the way, also used the borgeson PWS pump reducing washers for the pump to get the pressure closer to the mustang psi of 950.

Final welded my leaf perches as that wasn't done, recoated rear of frame. Got all the fuel line ran, I'm goin to fire engine back up real soon. Made a bracket up front for the regulator. it mounts off the carb studs. I'll clean it up and prolly paint it. Waiting on the retro caddy air cleaner. I gotta put a few things back on engine and do some wiring and she'll fire up. Then I need to get DS made and wire up trans and boom I'm ready to test drive it.

Then onto final assembly of glass and wiring etc. We are getting seat done real soon too. I'v finally hit my 500hr mark. So I'm over the mark there. and we are a little over our parts budget but not by much! She should be on the road very soon. Finally. then back onto my 51' should have that on road this summer. Oh I'll be making my TPS bracket this weekend. Found one on amazon for $10. People want 150-200 for a kit, can't believe what they are asking for something like that. I need to finalize my fuel filler out in bed and that's the last figuring out stuff. I'll have some interior work to do too.

Advanced Design 02-21-2018 11:49 PM

Wow, you've made awesome progress! Looking good. Where is the place making the teflon hoses?

oldman3 02-22-2018 12:22 AM

Great update, and lots of work done...Jim

iowaboynca 02-22-2018 01:23 AM

Very nice. You are always the inspiration.

99 to Life 02-22-2018 10:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks guys, it is getting really close to being a driver. Here is the fitting and hose to adapt the GM pump to mustang rack. Mind you, my rack already came with the -6AN fittings. I got this pump fitting off ebay you can get them cheaper but I paid $9 from getfast1 they have alot of good stuff. the hose came from graystonesystems they are on ebay and amazon. they have every size you can think of, can't beat the price. Glad I found them bc I searched a million options to adapt the stock PWS hose I already had. I didn't wanna make one and pay about $50 to make one to work, so again I got about $30 in this line with fitting. The return line however I am making since I have hose and AN fittings, that doens't need to be a high pressure hose.