The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project '64 Cheapskate (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=446527)

Low Elco 11-21-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

"Look factory?" Um, they didn't look that good from the factory. Nice stuff! I have the 3-gun kit from HF. I love it 'cause the big one comes with a 1.8 tip. Great for primer. Good progress! I would say, If you have a plater near you, having all those bolts cad plated works a lot better than painting. I tried to do that, the plater's burned down, so I had to paint mine. I'd have been a lot happier with plating. Not trying to be a jerk, you've just got the rest of this so cool and all. Those inners would look good with Raptor liner on the undersides, too. Man, I'm stoked for ya!

Bomp 11-21-2013 08:16 PM

Congrats on nailing the color.

Not sure if this tid bit of info helps on "paint on bolts" but it worked for me.
I cooked my freshly painted bolts for 20 min @ 175 in a convection oven I got at a garage sale.
None of the paint lifted after I wrenched'em in.
Wifey was happy I wasn't in the house trying to poison the family with my cookin.

Gonna be awesome to see things getting put together.

rusty76 11-21-2013 08:23 PM

Ahhhh some updates. So kool man. I'm still digging the ride.......Can't wait for more.

theastronaut 11-21-2013 08:51 PM

Those inner fenders look killer, can't tell that they've been cut and welded! Love stuff like that, nobody will notice but that's the whole point.

NEWFISHER 11-21-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 6380243)
Those inner fenders look killer, can't tell that they've been cut and welded! Love stuff like that, nobody will notice but that's the whole point.

+1 Nice work!

chevyrestoguy 11-21-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6379216)
"Look factory?" Um, they didn't look that good from the factory. Nice stuff! I have the 3-gun kit from HF. I love it 'cause the big one comes with a 1.8 tip. Great for primer. Good progress! I would say, If you have a plater near you, having all those bolts cad plated works a lot better than painting. I tried to do that, the plater's burned down, so I had to paint mine. I'd have been a lot happier with plating. Not trying to be a jerk, you've just got the rest of this so cool and all. Those inners would look good with Raptor liner on the undersides, too. Man, I'm stoked for ya!

Thanks, Chip! Yeah, I was really shocked at how well the cheapie HF gun worked. I wouldn't use one if I were spraying a car, but for small parts, it kicked butt. I thought about coating the bolts with the phosphate coating that the factory starting using in the late '60s, but the home kits they used to sell are no longer available. You would actually cook your bolts in a phosphate solution on a Coleman camp stove. I'm sure NOTHING could go wrong with that set up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6380168)
Congrats on nailing the color.

Not sure if this tid bit of info helps on "paint on bolts" but it worked for me.
I cooked my freshly painted bolts for 20 min @ 175 in a convection oven I got at a garage sale.
None of the paint lifted after I wrenched'em in.
Wifey was happy I wasn't in the house trying to poison the family with my cookin.

Gonna be awesome to see things getting put together.

I like the convection oven idea, and I'm brainstorming on an idea using a metal box and a hair dryer. The last time I used one of the home appliances for my car stuff was when my wife was out of town, and I used the dishwasher to clean a set of rods and pistons. They were super clean before I put them in, and they came out awesome. The only problem was, I had to pull all of the baskets out of the dishwasher and scrub the inside with Comet to get the grease film off. And, I had to run two full cycles on hot with nothing in it to get the solvent smell out. Worked really good, though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6380179)
Ahhhh some updates. So kool man. I'm still digging the ride.......Can't wait for more.

Rusty, you've always been one of my biggest supporters, and I really appreciate it. Glad to help you with your picture fix!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 6380243)

If John likes 'em, then I'm a happy guy! They actually look even better in person. My camera is on it's last leg, and it's taking bad quality pictures. I completely agree with your stance on "stealthy" modifications. I love that stuff, too, and if only one guy in a hundred figures it out, then I've done my job correctly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 6380288)
+1 Nice work!

Thanks!!!

theastronaut 11-21-2013 10:25 PM

I'll prolly have to do a similar mod to the inners for 'Locks, so I've been watching to see what you came up with. They look perfect. How far away are you from getting it on the road?

Jmorales3181 11-21-2013 10:40 PM

Nice progress!

likaroc13 11-21-2013 11:00 PM

Nice to see the progress, & everything looks great!

chevyrestoguy 11-21-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 6380420)
I'll prolly have to do a similar mod to the inners for 'Locks, so I've been watching to see what you came up with. They look perfect. How far away are you from getting it on the road?

I still have a ways to go.
I have to install the inner fenders and core support, and get the underhood stuff done (paint the bottom side of the hood, hoses, wiring, etc). I still have to do my fuel tank mod, and that's going to be some uncharted territory. Still need to raise the bed floor and c-notch the frame (couldn't get it low enough without the rear end hitting the bedfloor). Still need to do bodywork and blend in the paint to match the patina. Still need to spray the exterior with satin clear. Still need to finish the sound deadener in the cab. Need to re-rubber the doors and windows. Replace the windshield.

I think I'll have it running in Mid-January, and on the road around March. Hopefully, a whole lot sooner than that, but I'm trying to be realistic. I have to stay on my current pace and not try to rush anything. If I rush stuff, it'll show in the final product, and that'll drive me nuts every time I look at it later.

65Gregg 11-22-2013 12:17 AM

As usual, outstanding work from you and Brad!!! I can't wait to see the end result.

chevyrestoguy 11-22-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 6380443)
Nice progress!

Thank You, sir!
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6380494)
Nice to see the progress, & everything looks great!

Thanks, Phillip!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Gregg (Post 6380651)
As usual, outstanding work from you and Brad!!! I can't wait to see the end result.

Thanks! Brad is probably the only guy I know who thinks like I do when it comes to hot rods. We've collaborated on a lot of stuff over the years. He's one talented dude.

chevyrestoguy 11-23-2013 05:36 PM

The weather has been cold and rainy for the past few days, so it has given me an opportunity to turn up the heater and the tunes in the garage and get crackin'.

Today's project was assembling the A/C condenser, the receiver/dryer, and the lines on the newly painted core support. I'm real happy with the results:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1e75f240.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psfabc1a16.jpg

I don't like the look of a body-colored core support poking through the grill of any car or truck, so everything had to be black. If you recall some posts from a few months ago, I modified the core support to accept a 2001 Corvette A/C condenser. It meant that I had to cut pockets in the uprights to give clearance for the inlet and outlet fittings. I used a couple pieces of 2"x 2" square tubing to fill the cutouts and Mig welded them in. The hard line at the inlet on the bottom of the condenser is a combination of the factory Corvette line and a #6 A/C crimp fitting that I had a buddy Tig weld together. The factory outlet line at the top of the condenser was chopped off and a fitting to accept a #10 Beadlock style A/C hose was Tig welded on. All of the fittings were bought on ebay for cheap, the hose was extra pieces I had laying around, and a buddy crimped them for me. The dryer was also an ebay special ($14.99). I put some heat shrink on the dryer clamps to tighten them up a little bit and to also insulate the dryer from metal-to-metal contact. The core support actually looks better in person versus the pictures because the camera flash does weird stuff with the satin black and makes it look blotchy and shiny.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps8aefffec.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps184ed504.jpg

Next task: Install all of the rubber seals on to the inner fenders.

ChevyYoung 11-23-2013 08:51 PM

Looks nice cheapskate. Got me motivated dude!

rusty76 11-23-2013 10:13 PM

Kool man.

Low Elco 11-24-2013 12:14 PM

That's TIGHT!

Dinos63 11-24-2013 01:39 PM

and that's how's done !!:metal:

chevyrestoguy 11-24-2013 09:46 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys! I've been on a roll, and today was a big day. It was time to start bolting stuff together for the last time. No more mocking up and taking it all back apart. :metal:

I realized that I had never taken any pictures with the engine installed. It's been installed for a few months now, but I've been focusing on other stuff, so I apologize. Here it is:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psd96c8b6f.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps3609ad97.jpg
We had to to be extra careful installing the inner fenders and core support, and I'm lucky I had Brad helping me. This is definitely a 2-person job. We had a few issues to contend with and a couple of holes needed to be slotted slightly, but that's to be expected when you're putting one of these things together and trying to make it all fit right.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps5de93090.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psf89dea62.jpg

Here's a teaser shot of how the inner fender lower edge sits in relation to the frame. It looks factory, and that's what I was going for. I don't want anybody to figure out that the chassis has been Z'd. I've got more time in those dumb inner fenders than I want to admit, but it was all worth it.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps4bb2f0d7.jpg

In all of the excitement, I forgot to take pictures of the core support installed. I can't believe I forgot to do it, but take it from me, it looks good. I promise to take pictures of it next weekend when I get back on it. I have a big list of things to accomplish next weekend, and if it all goes to plan, the front sheet metal will be on the truck.

A big thanks to Brad for the helping hand. We thought we were in for trouble when the driver's fender to door gap was huge and we were completely out of any more adjustments. We couldn't move the fender back anymore. After about 45 minutes of racking our brains, Brad figured out that the driver's front cab mount needed to be shimmed up. Once we jacked up that corner, the gaps came in perfectly. I was thinking the worst and figured that the inner fenders and core support all needed to come back off and get tweaked. What a relief.

likaroc13 11-24-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6386858)
Thanks for the comments, guys! I've been on a roll, and today was a big day. It was time to start bolting stuff together for the last time. No more mocking up and taking it all back apart. :metal:

I realized that I had never taken any pictures with the engine installed. It's been installed for a few months now, but I've been focusing on other stuff, so I apologize. Here it is:

We had to to be extra careful installing the inner fenders and core support, and I'm lucky I had Brad helping me. This is definitely a 2-person job. We had a few issues to contend with and a couple of holes needed to be slotted slightly, but that's to be expected when you're putting one of these things together and trying to make it all fit right.

Here's a teaser shot of how the inner fender lower edge sits in relation to the frame. It looks factory, and that's what I was going for. I don't want anybody to figure out that the chassis has been Z'd. I've got more time in those dumb inner fenders than I want to admit, but it was all worth it.

In all of the excitement, I forgot to take pictures of the core support installed. I can't believe I forgot to do it, but take it from me, it looks good. I promise to take pictures of it next weekend when I get back on it. I have a big list of things to accomplish next weekend, and if it all goes to plan, the front sheet metal will be on the truck.

A big thanks to Brad for the helping hand. We thought we were in for trouble when the driver's fender to door gap was huge and we were completely out of any more adjustments. We couldn't move the fender back anymore. After about 45 minutes of racking our brains, Brad figured out that the driver's front cab mount needed to be shimmed up. Once we jacked up that corner, the gaps came in perfectly. I was thinking the worst and figured that the inner fenders and core support all needed to come back off and get tweaked. What a relief.

The engine looks great, as does the work you did on the core support/radiator. Gotta be a great feeling bolting everything back into place for the final time. You guys keep up the nice & clean work. Looking forward to seeing it all come back together!

NEWFISHER 11-24-2013 10:22 PM

Ditto, nice work! A/c routing looks premo

Low Elco 11-25-2013 09:10 AM

Motor/firewall looks great! Can't wait to see the big holiday weekend progress! No better words than "for the last time".

ps- Brad hiding an s-10 from someone else's wife?

chevyrestoguy 11-25-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6387480)
Motor/firewall looks great! Can't wait to see the big holiday weekend progress! No better words than "for the last time".

ps- Brad hiding an s-10 from someone else's wife?

Man, you aren't kidding about how good it feels to be putting this truck together for the final time. This thing is finally starting to look like a truck again.

The S-10 is one of Brad's Land Speed projects. Right now, it's just a shell. His intent is to break Gale Bank's long-standing pickup truck landspeed record, but once he started building the streamliner, the S-10 has been on hiatus.

Low Elco 11-25-2013 11:12 AM

Ha, he's gonna have to build a patina'd 70's Peterbilt to haul all his stuff to the Salt!

"Hey, where's Brad?" "Utah." "When's he coming back?" "Next month. Maybe." Salt Fever, watch out for it, Kids.

Bomp 11-25-2013 11:26 AM

Your modifications, unless you know what to look for you don't even see them.
I can hear people now,"Somethings different but I don't know what he did!???!!"
Great job. Keeps me on my game.

theastronaut 11-25-2013 12:53 PM

The lines look absolutely killer! :metal:

chevyrestoguy 11-25-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6387664)
Your modifications, unless you know what to look for you don't even see them.
I can hear people now,"Somethings different but I don't know what he did!???!!"
Great job. Keeps me on my game.

Thanks, Bomp! Your build is one of my favorites on the site, and I always get a good chuckle whenever I click on your thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theastronaut (Post 6387792)
The lines look absolutely killer! :metal:

Thanks, John! I wish I would have taken some pictures with the core support installed, because it makes the inner fender mods even more stealthy. You'll see those pictures this weekend.

kustombrad 11-26-2013 10:35 AM

Alex has done a great job on his truck! He's kept on his path of keeping the truck simple but with lots of little details, I just have to keep reminding him that he's building a driver and not a Ridler contender! I know how much fun we've had going to different events in my truck and I'm excited for him to have to pick ME up for a road trip! This thing is gonna be sooooo cool!

rusty76 11-27-2013 05:47 PM

Man if I lived closer you guys would be picking me up...hahaha.

boonedogs72 11-27-2013 07:52 PM

did you just paint the lines after they were crimped? looks good

TJ's Chevy 11-27-2013 10:22 PM

WOWZA! looking good!

Ta2Don 11-27-2013 11:17 PM

Been a minute or 3 since I checked in…;)
Looking Great!!!:metal:

chevyrestoguy 11-28-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kustombrad (Post 6389358)
Alex has done a great job on his truck! He's kept on his path of keeping the truck simple but with lots of little details, I just have to keep reminding him that he's building a driver and not a Ridler contender! I know how much fun we've had going to different events in my truck and I'm excited for him to have to pick ME up for a road trip! This thing is gonna be sooooo cool!

It's hard for me to not sweat all the details. It's just my nature, but I'll be better when I get the truck on the road and it gets it's first few rock chips. I am very excited to get this thing finished. For years, I always helped everyone else get their stuff done, while mine just hibernated in the garage. I went for a period where I almost sold all of my car stuff because I was convinced that I was never going to finish it anyway. Well, that has changed, and this truck will be the first of many more to come. I'm on a roll....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6391567)
Man if I lived closer you guys would be picking me up...hahaha.

Heck yeah, Rusty. I'd gladly pick you up!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by boonedogs72 (Post 6391726)
did you just paint the lines after they were crimped? looks good

Thanks! Yes, the lines were mocked up and adjusted before they were crimped to ensure that I had it where I wanted it. Then, after crimping, I scuffed and metal etch primed them, then primed them with regular primer, and then painted them satin black. I did not paint the nuts until after it was all torqued. After that, I brush painted the nuts on the ends of the lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6391965)
WOWZA! looking good!

Thanks, T.J.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6392046)
Been a minute or 3 since I checked in…;)
Looking Great!!!:metal:

Standby, Don! There's more pictures coming!!

TJ's Chevy 11-28-2013 12:19 PM

YEAH! More pictures!!!! LOL!:metal::lol::chevy:

rusty76 11-28-2013 08:24 PM

More pics.....please....purty please.

coulter 11-30-2013 12:27 AM

some killer work you have been doing man!! I really dig your build. super clean

chevyrestoguy 11-30-2013 10:58 PM

Had another good day today. We were able to get the cab mounts shimmed and adjusted to get the proper fender to door gap, and that was extremely important because it'll save a lot of body panel fit headaches later. Got all of the inner fender and core support bolts torqued, and sandblasted a bunch of parts that will need to be primed and painted soon. That will be my main focus tomorrow, getting these parts etch primed and ready for color.

Here's a few pictures of the front inner structure all bolted up:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psb98a1f01.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1c26f1bb.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps87afc781.jpg

TJ's Chevy 11-30-2013 11:38 PM

Looking good! :metal:

duallyjams 12-01-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t.j. Mccauley (Post 6395816)
looking good! :metal:

x2

Low Elco 12-02-2013 09:41 AM

Man, that looks nice! Can't wait for the next update! Any rough ETA on the first fire-up?

chevyrestoguy 12-02-2013 11:00 AM

I don't have a firm ETA on the fire-up because I still have a lot of plumbing to do, along with installing all of the wiring from the firewall forward. I still have to get the fuel system installed (tank, etc). I still have to do a little more suspension work on the rear, which will require notching the frame and raising the bedfloor. There's still a bunch to do, but the list is shrinking (slowly).