The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   1972 Chevy 4wd Longhorn Project: Never Ending Changes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=310493)

Dieselwrencher 11-23-2011 04:32 PM

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Well almost another month has went by and no dang progress. So..................................... I bit the bullet and am taking this thing to the body shop and my old boss is going to finish the body work and paint the cab and front clip. Then we'll set the box on the truck and he's going to fix the big dent in the RR box side. Once he has that done I'll have to get the steel floor installed and then he can paint it. Here's my dilema now. Seeing how this truck will have a steel floor and this truck will be used for real work, what do you guys feel about the box sides and floor being all welded together? I'm liking the idea of line-xing the entire inside after the box is painted and then the box will be done for good. The only real down side is if I ever need to replace a box side it'll be a real big PITA. But then again, it isn't like I can't just patch it or skin it like newer trucks. So what do you guys think about that?

72BlckButy 11-23-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4983836)
She is doing great Nate. I'll dig up the thread and see if I can put some Halloween pics up of her. Thanks for asking. How's your son doing?

He's doing quite well. I just posted up some pics in my build thread of what we've been doing lately.

Glad to hear she is doing great. It's amazing what they bring to your life. :)

Hope to meet her either this summer or fall.

Dieselwrencher 11-23-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5027090)
He's doing quite well. I just posted up some pics in my build thread of what we've been doing lately.

Glad to hear she is doing great. It's amazing what they bring to your life. :)

Hope to meet her either this summer or fall.

Yes it is Nate. Hopefully we can meet up at Riverside or GG's or some thing. :lol:

watahyahknow 11-23-2011 07:02 PM

maibe you can just line x the bedsides and make a piece of daimondplate fit verry tightly on the floor and intoo the sides so theres no gap and make an inch high standing edge on it
that way when stuff rolls through the bed during cornering it will hit the daimondplate first and when you get damage you can take out the floorcovering and still get at the bolts and seperate the pieces with the line x on them and repair / replace it without it looking ugly at the seams

Dieselwrencher 11-29-2011 05:36 PM

Hopefully by Thursday the truck will be going to the body shop. I'm waiting on a stall to open up before it can go there. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to go back to trim in the windshield rubbers or not. Hmmmmm................................

Vintage Windmills 11-29-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5027014)
what do you guys feel about the box sides and floor being all welded together? I'm liking the idea of line-xing the entire inside after the box is painted and then the box will be done for good. The only real down side is if I ever need to replace a box side it'll be a real big PITA. But then again, it isn't like I can't just patch it or skin it like newer trucks. So what do you guys think about that?

I'd just add a few bolts to the perimeter or invest in some tie down straps;) Damage to the sides will probably be halfway up the inner wall and not overload the bolt joints anyways?

Dieselwrencher 11-30-2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills (Post 5038198)
I'd just add a few bolts to the perimeter or invest in some tie down straps;) Damage to the sides will probably be halfway up the inner wall and not overload the bolt joints anyways?

I was really thinking it would just be faster to weld it all up and be done with it. But I might just bolt it back together just in case. You never know.

67chevy1series 12-02-2011 09:28 PM

well ryan hows the hugger orange christmas coming along????

Dieselwrencher 12-03-2011 12:18 PM

It's off to a rough start. I was going to take the truck to the body shop today, but of course it's raining so I haven't decided if I will or not yet.

Dieselwrencher 12-05-2011 03:00 AM

It's at the body shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I removed the engine, cleaned it out, hung the new RH fender, put on a different cowl, and Mathew helped me hang the hood. Then we took it to the body shop and pushed it inside. We talked to my old boss and then I removed the wheels and tires. One so it can't be taken out side, and two so I can mount some 305's on the steel wheels. I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

watahyahknow 12-05-2011 10:31 AM

dont forget to give him the longhorn emblems so he can fill those in with the same paint hes putting on the body

Dieselwrencher 12-05-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 5048742)
dont forget to give him the longhorn emblems so he can fill those in with the same paint hes putting on the body

Why's that? They're black and chrome.

watahyahknow 12-05-2011 09:15 PM

oops didnt seen the black must've been the light in the picture

Dieselwrencher 12-05-2011 09:53 PM

Besides, the bed will have to wait until I get it put together. I have to get the floor and sides assembled so he can fix the big dent in the RH side.

Dieselwrencher 12-07-2011 12:17 AM

I borrowed some 305's from my little brother for now so I can see what this truck will look like. I'm planning on going to the body shop and putting these on tomorrow so I'll get some pics of the truck tomorrow.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00365.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00366.jpg

Mattman2010 12-07-2011 01:07 AM

hmmm, I might just have to read through this thread. lol

Dieselwrencher 12-07-2011 03:50 PM

I made it over to the body shop and got these tires installed. Also snaped some pics of the truck. No progress has been made and I'm not surprised. :lol: Hopefully by Christmas it'll have color on it. Hopefully..............................................

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00374.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00375.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00378.jpg

It looks like I got my LH fender worked around ok. It matches the contour of the RH behind the wheel.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00376.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00377.jpg

I finally found my missing pieces to get a steering column back in it. Dang, I hope I can find the rest of this truck! :lol:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00379.jpg

duallyjams 12-07-2011 08:37 PM

That's sit n nice. It will be sweet when its done.

wutnxt 12-11-2011 12:51 PM

Hey dude :

So this is where your hanging out huh .....Truck looks great and being a 69 Z/28 kinda guy i dig the hugger orange. It's alot of work building one of these things but it sure must feel good getting it to the body shop. I know for me thats when you start to realize wow there is a end to this thing......lol
Your build looks great make's me think my prostreet truck could use a transfer case.....I will be sure to be back and watch you complete it

Dieselwrencher 12-12-2011 07:58 PM

Thanks guys. Hopefully it'll have something done to it by Christmas..........................

mcbassin 12-12-2011 10:39 PM

Ryan,
I'm not sure what happened to my subscription to your build. All my posts and subscription vanished. I've been following along for over a year and never got any updates. So I just thought I would check in. Not sure how I could lose a script and all my posts?
Anyway, glad to see all the last few months worth of progress. Hope to see some paint shot on this puppy pretty soon too.

1985-GMC 12-12-2011 11:17 PM

At one point he started a new thread(this one) and didn't say anything to us watching the old thread... ;)

Dieselwrencher 12-12-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5061917)
Ryan,
I'm not sure what happened to my subscription to your build. All my posts and subscription vanished. I've been following along for over a year and never got any updates. So I just thought I would check in. Not sure how I could lose a script and all my posts?
Anyway, glad to see all the last few months worth of progress. Hope to see some paint shot on this puppy pretty soon too.

Mike, no problem. I'm glad to hear you found a better radiator support too. Your truck is coming along awesome! I also hope my Longhorn has color on it soon, as I am tired of all these new parts laying here. :lol:

Dieselwrencher 12-12-2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5062013)
At one point he started a new thread(this one) and didn't say anything to us watching the old thread... ;)

I did start a new thread a long time ago, but this thread is the one and original. I started the other to get more exposure because hardly anyone ever had anything to say about it. :lol: I haven't updated the other thread lately either. I might later tonight. Here's the link to it:
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=372717

1985-GMC 12-12-2011 11:49 PM

Doh! Why do you have to go confuse everyone like that! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/i...milies/lol.gif

mcbassin 12-12-2011 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 5062013)

Okay, I understand now. I thought this was that thread because of some the exact same pics. I was like wth happened to all my posts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 5062038)
Mike, no problem. I'm glad to hear you found a better radiator support too. Your truck is coming along awesome! I also hope my Longhorn has color on it soon, as I am tired of all these new parts laying here. :lol:

Yep, the core support is either a NOS or aftermarket unit. More than likely a repop.? IDK, it looks like the surface rust from an oem though I will be using it though regardless. I actually scored a whole parts truck. More on that in my thread soon.

Thanks and your truck is coming along awesome too. I love those nice tires. Those would work great on my suburban, well maybe with just a little lift on it. I love the agressive tread.

I got a crap load of new and used parts to put on mine too. Can't wait till I get where you are. Keep rocking bro:chevy:

wutnxt 12-13-2011 11:06 AM

Are you feeling truckless now with your truck at the body shop , or did you keep enough parts back to work on ? Mine has been gone for awhile and to keep busy i have been working on a shop addition and organizing parts.....Don't get me wrong i now drive to the body shop everyday i can and do what ever i can to speed up the process

6lcummins 12-13-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5062643)
Are you feeling truckless now with your truck at the body shop , or did you keep enough parts back to work on ? Mine has been gone for awhile and to keep busy i have been working on a shop addition and organizing parts.....Don't get me wrong i now drive to the body shop everyday i can and do what ever i can to speed up the process

His stuff is in the way...

wutnxt 12-13-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6lcummins (Post 5063045)
His stuff is in the way...

If you don't have stuff in the way......you ain't building trucks.....LMAO

Dieselwrencher 12-13-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutnxt (Post 5062643)

No, not quite yet. I still have the 76 sitting behind the shop, and Mathew's 88 was in the other bay. And yes, I kept plenty to work on but I have no spare time at the moment to work on my stuff. I'm trying to finish a PITA 04 F-250. :lol: I'm going to bring that thread back from the dead here shortly.

Chevymaniac 12-24-2011 12:01 AM

Your truck has gone through quite the transformation. Excellent work. How did you determine where to mount the rear springs on your truck? I'am coverting my 72 swb 2wd truck to 4x4. The front spring swap is easy, but i don't know where to start for the rear. My truck has trailing arm suspension. Any advice would be appreciated. What grade, size, and length of bolts did you use to put 4x4 parts on your 2wd frame?

mcbassin 12-24-2011 01:02 AM

I thought we were going to see some Christmas present pics:)

70LonghornCST 12-24-2011 02:58 AM

Ryan,
Wow! Where have I been? I can't believe I never ran across your build thread. Awsome work on the ol' girl. I think you will be done with yours before me. Keep it up buddy! Someone's 'gotta' get some work around here. And since it isn't me, I glad that you are making such good progress. :metal:
-Richard

Dieselwrencher 12-26-2011 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevymaniac (Post 5080832)
Your truck has gone through quite the transformation. Excellent work. How did you determine where to mount the rear springs on your truck? I'am coverting my 72 swb 2wd truck to 4x4. The front spring swap is easy, but i don't know where to start for the rear. My truck has trailing arm suspension. Any advice would be appreciated. What grade, size, and length of bolts did you use to put 4x4 parts on your 2wd frame?

My truck had leaf spring rear suspension since it was a Longhorn. But I hear that you can mount the spring hangers on the coil spring frames with out much work. Best bet would be to put a bed on your frame and mock everything up to get the rear axle placed there you need it. I used 3/8" grade 8 bolts for my spring hangers in the rear. I think the bolts were no longer than 2", maybe shorter.

Dieselwrencher 12-26-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5080935)
I thought we were going to see some Christmas present pics:)

Believe me, I was hoping so too. He hasn't gotten anything done on it. I'm not surprised. I'm going over tomorrow to start sanding on it since he hasn't. If I have the 04 F-250 done before he's done with body work, it's coming back home and I'll just do it myself. At least right now it's sitting inside for free while it collects dust instead of rust. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST (Post 5081054)
Ryan,
Wow! Where have I been? I can't believe I never ran across your build thread. Awsome work on the ol' girl. I think you will be done with yours before me. Keep it up buddy! Someone's 'gotta' get some work around here. And since it isn't me, I glad that you are making such good progress. :metal:
-Richard

Richard, You haven't missed much. :lol: All I've really gotten done was take a truck close to being able to drive and made it into a huge project! :lol:

Dieselwrencher 12-26-2011 02:46 AM

I almost forgot, I did get some more parts for this truck. Today I got some 6x9 speakers for it for Christmas, and a 67-72 chevytrucks decal and wall clock from my wife. Pretty sweet! And I will be once again changing the drive train of this truck. My bro and dad will be taking the drag car to Texas for a race in April. I can't see taking this truck apart in March to remove the engine for the corvette since the Longhorn might get painted. I'd rather put it together and keep going. Not swap another engine in and scratch it all up. With that being said and done, I'm going back to the beginning (Kind of) of this build. I'm going to use my 99 NV4500 and more than likely rebuild a 5.9 for it. Which one is unknown right now. I can go 12v but would rather go 24v just because. :lol: A 12v would be cheaper so IDK yet. I did get a ValAir DD clutch last weekend for it. I ordered a hardened big input kit and a cast tail housing for the NV4500 Friday. I have to fix 3rd gear in the trans and then it's done. Now I'm debating using my NP205 from a dodge or just using a 241DHD or DLD. The 241 has a lower low side and is stronger for what I may do with the truck. The only real hard part will be modifying it to be a RH drop instead of a LH drop. We shall see.

Dieselwrencher 12-28-2011 04:50 PM

I can say one thing for sure, I'm getting really tired of looking at the parts mess I have for this truck. It's every where..........................................

mcbassin 12-28-2011 05:11 PM

Sounds like you have a plan for the drivetrain. You better get it installed before you change your mind again. Looking forward to some pics. You can't just talk about cool parts on here you know that:)

6lcummins 12-28-2011 05:16 PM

When they show up he will probably have pics and then have to find a place to store it til the trucks out of the body shop and whichever engine is put together for it...

Dieselwrencher 01-01-2012 03:23 AM

No progress but I did land a floor shift column. We cleared the shop of parts for this truck to be able to try and use the south bay of our shop again. :lol: Here's some wall art for now.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/DSC00387.jpg