The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Knomadd '71 SWB C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=542821)

mcbassin 02-04-2015 08:50 AM

Re: Knomadd '71 SWB C-10

Looking good Duane.

knomadd 02-04-2015 11:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys!

SwitchSpeed controller came late yesterday...

knomadd 02-10-2015 04:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I pulled my air cleaner off and painted the chrome ring, so I don't have to keep using steel wool to rub off the surface rust... You'll also notice the silver headers aren't in the pics. I've pulled them off to replace leaky/blown gaskets and decided they needed a fresh coat of VHT Header Black. Haven't finished it yet, but I'll get pics of them later.
Attachment 1361839

My Lokar pedals also came in yesterday. Thanks Sarah and Kyle (Laidbackrecreations)!
Attachment 1361838

GAc10boy 02-12-2015 02:42 PM

Dig the black accent on the air cleaner. I'm sure the headers will look sharp too!

rincones 02-24-2015 11:03 PM

Nice, how was the ride up to Lonestar?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=532127

knomadd 02-25-2015 11:12 PM

It was pretty cool. We had about a dozen or so trucks cruise in together.

ddubbs 02-26-2015 12:57 AM

Wow stocking up on some killer parts. Trucks looking awesome to Duane.

aboesec10 02-26-2015 09:34 AM

Their shouldn't be any cobwebs in yours, grahams or my truck after Saturday that's for sure! Did you guys hit anymore rain after I peeled off at I-10?. I had to pull her out sunday and wash it up, couldn't stand it being that dirty!

mooseknuckles 02-26-2015 10:56 AM

I have the Lokar pedals in my '86.. Lokar makes some awesome products!

knomadd 02-26-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aboesec10 (Post 7066351)
Their shouldn't be any cobwebs in yours, grahams or my truck after Saturday that's for sure! Did you guys hit anymore rain after I peeled off at I-10?. I had to pull her out sunday and wash it up, couldn't stand it being that dirty!

Definitely no more cobwebs...or spiders :lol: It rained on me a few more times between there and home. I still haven't washed mine since it sits outside and is still being rained on. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseknuckles (Post 7066447)
I have the Lokar pedals in my '86.. Lokar makes some awesome products!

I'm looking forward to getting them installed. They look like really nice pieces. The brake pedal is looking like it might be difficult. The sleeve inside the pivot isn't budging at the moment. I really don't want to pull the entire assembly out, but I may just need to.

knomadd 02-28-2015 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the Lokar billet throttle and brake pedals today. I really like how it turned out. What do you think?

mooseknuckles 02-28-2015 05:37 PM

Awesome!

slowcpe 02-28-2015 06:00 PM

Looks good

C10_ustacould 02-28-2015 07:35 PM

I really like those pedals, I have very first one in my '68 stepper. Did the test fit for them. The folks at Lokar were awesome to work with, and the products are top notch.

swamp rat 03-01-2015 05:20 AM

Yep they look nice!

RRR18 03-18-2015 06:06 PM

How's that new air management comin Duane?

knomadd 03-19-2015 10:36 AM

Unfortunately it isn't, Ryan. It's been raining so much here (and the truck's outside) that I haven't been able to start the install yet. I have been driving it though. Hopefully it will dry up in the coming weeks so I'll get to start on it soon.

TexasLS1 03-19-2015 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7096957)
Unfortunately it isn't, Ryan. It's been raining so much here (and the truck's outside) that I haven't been able to start the install yet. I have been driving it though. Hopefully it will dry up in the coming weeks so I'll get to start on it soon.

Did you ever do anything about the water leaking into the glovebox?? How are you keeping it dry? Mines still leaking pretty bad with all this rain, I'm going through a lot of towels :(

knomadd 03-20-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasLS1 (Post 7097467)
Did you ever do anything about the water leaking into the glovebox?? How are you keeping it dry? Mines still leaking pretty bad with all this rain, I'm going through a lot of towels :(

Well, it hasn't happened again, but I never found where it came from either. I added Vintage Air so my glove box is now plastic, but I haven't ever seen water on the floor so I'm assuming it was a fluke that it happened that day. Maybe it hasn't rained that hard since. Or I haven't driven in rain that hard since that day. I'm not sure....

However, my windshield is leaking on the drivers side a-pillar... When my rear glass leaked I had a glass guy tell me to use bedding and glazing compound (this stuff this stuff) around the gasket on both the glass and body side (outside of truck) and that has definitely helped. I need to do that to the front windshield, but it has to be dry to do it...:banghead:

knomadd 07-16-2015 09:53 AM

I had to tear into the GTO to get the timing cover replaced, so I wasn't able to do anything with the truck. My wife thinks I need to keep one of them running at all times, which is a good idea, but if the truck is down, it's parked in front of the GTO, so it's out of commission too... lol.

Anyway, I did get something new. I still need to see how it fits before I start getting it ready for paint, but here it is...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ps9c5iorbm.jpg

rincones 07-16-2015 06:46 PM

Nice. Looks good.
Keep the pics coming

knomadd 07-23-2015 09:31 PM

Time for some bad news...

I drove the truck to work on Tuesday and had a bit of a mishap...

This is the aftermath of a total loss of brakes while pulling into my parking spot. I hopped a 2-3" tall curb and hit the brick wall of the office building. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psrvm02iby.jpg
The bumper is not only bent, it's twisted
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ps6makcods.jpg
So far, this is the extent of the body damage, from what I can see.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psa1pqhalj.jpg
The whole fender and passenger side of the grille slid back about 1/4"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...pswlbhkwkz.jpg
I didn't drive INTO the building. It's still enclosed, but the brick wall shifted and the window frames (floor to ceiling) shifted with the wall. No broken glass, but definitely going to be interesting (read: expensive) to see it fixed.

Oh, don't mind the tape on the door. I was starting to mark the locations for the sport mirror holes. Tired of not being able to see out of the car mirrors.

RRR18 07-23-2015 10:05 PM

Holy **** that's terrible!

mcbassin 07-24-2015 08:52 AM

Man,
That really sucks. What caused the total brake failure? Hope it all works out for you.
Glad you didn't go through the wall.

On a side note, you probably already know it but, the sport mirrors aren't the best for vision. Especially the passenger side. I have gotten to where I just look over my shoulder every time I change lanes in mine.

knomadd 07-24-2015 09:28 AM

Yeah, it sucks. Can't change it though, so I'm rolling with the punches.

I'm not entirely sure what caused it since they seem to work just fine now. The rear reservoir was empty, but the front was full, so I have a leak somewhere, but they worked before and again after the incident... Maybe air in the lines, maybe the prop valve or master cylinder is going bad... not sure honestly. I drove it home with no issues (about a mile away form my office). I took it slow and very cautious with my mind constantly on using the e-brake. Still not taking any chances so I'm swapping everything out. I already have the Wilwood D52 calipers for the front (came with pads) and their master cylinder. I have a 25' coil of brake line left from when I redid the brakes on the GTO and a set of rear brake shoes from the PO. I've ordered the Wilwood adjustable proportioning, some braided flex hoses from Inline Tube, and new rear wheel cylinders on the way. So all of it is getting replaced.

As for the mirrors, yes Mike, I do know there isn't much visibility out of them. I'm not totally concerned about that since I really don't want west coast mirrors or anything large like that. I don't have a passenger mirror on the GTO, so I'm not overly concerned about having one, just want it to be functional if it's on the truck. The current passenger mirror (I think 69 Camaro) is useless. It's behind the glass run channel so you can't see squat in it. The biggest reason for switching to the sport mirrors is to get the functionality of the vent windows back. The idiot that installed these mirrors didn't take them into consideration, so I can't use the vent windows at all.

knomadd 08-02-2015 12:41 AM

I've been spending the last few days trying to get the rear drum brakes off. Wound up cutting the drum off on both sides, just to get it to release. They were frozen to the axle flange. The drums were toast anyway, so no harm done.

I did get the new front calipers painted to match.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ps0fiatexy.jpg

I also put it up on blocks for more room to replace the brake lines...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...psedhhm14v.jpg

Sac 08-02-2015 09:19 AM

Nice! Did Wilwood paint the calipers?

rincones 08-02-2015 01:44 PM

:chevy:
Nice paint job on the calipers.

knomadd 08-02-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sac (Post 7261101)
Nice! Did Wilwood paint the calipers?

Thanks! Nope, I did. It was a pain to mask off the name, but it turned out ok.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincones (Post 7261284)
:chevy:
Nice paint job on the calipers.

Thanks!

rincones 08-02-2015 10:18 PM

I might drop the motor in this weekend. Your welcome to stop by.

knomadd 08-17-2015 09:58 PM

Sorry guys, but nothing picture worthy yet. I've been slowly collecting more parts, but in the mean time, I've managed to replace most of the brake lines with stainless (both hard lines and flex lines). I just ordered Wilwood 4 piston rear disc brakes and CPP modular drop spindles (plan for future Wilwood big disc swap up front) to replace the unknown brand factory style drop spindles. I've removed the fuel line and filter from the frame, but need to mount the new filter and run new hard line from it to the front. I figured now's a good a time as any to do this since I'm already working in the area with the brake line replacement. This has allowed me to start installing the passenger side air tank, compressor and PB brackets.

I still need to create the splash shield for the passenger side air tank, and figure out where to mount the valve block and brain for the AccuAir SwitchSpeed system, then wire it all and plumb the air line. Lots to do to get the air management up and running.

RRR18 08-18-2015 12:42 AM

Wiring the air management was a pain in the ass but Accuair system makes it really a lot more simple.

GAc10boy 08-18-2015 09:25 AM

Man, sorry to hear about the crash. That's one of my worst fears on these trucks is the brakes going out. Anyway, looks like you've come up for air with a killer plan. Good luck!

Justin@EntropyRad 08-18-2015 10:01 AM

Calipers came out great...are you running the E-level setup with the Accuair?

knomadd 08-21-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRR18 (Post 7277099)
Wiring the air management was a pain in the ass but Accuair system makes it really a lot more simple.

I've heard that. But it's still going to take a bit of work to get it in. I guess I should count my blessings that I did go the Accuair route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAc10boy (Post 7277286)
Man, sorry to hear about the crash. That's one of my worst fears on these trucks is the brakes going out. Anyway, looks like you've come up for air with a killer plan. Good luck!

Yeah, it's not what I'd wanted for motivation, but I guess it comes in strange ways once in a while. At least nobody was hurt, and I've got more drive to fix things and keep adding some of the parts I've been collecting. So some good came from it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin@EntropyRad (Post 7277325)
Calipers came out great...are you running the E-level setup with the Accuair?

Eventually I'll run the e-level system, but for now, I'm going to install the SwitchSpeed system.

knomadd 08-24-2015 10:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, so I made a little progress this weekend... I did a bunch of research and realized my air tanks and compressors had too much angle on them, so I had to re-drill/relocate my brackets on the driver's side. Unfortunately I had just finished drilling for the passenger side, so I had to re-drill those holes too. :dohh:

As for pictures I did take... Not very exciting, but still progress.

I replaced the brake lines with stainless, replaced the rubber fuel line with hard line (from the filter to the front cross member - Still flexible hose between tank and filter and frame to fuel pump), added a newer canister style fuel filter from a 90's Silverado (ready for fuel injection at a later phase), and got it all strapped down with the original hardware.

Note: you can see the re-drilled hole at the lower left of the first pic.

Zoomin 08-24-2015 10:29 AM

I didn't realize compressors had angle problems. What did your research say?

knomadd 08-24-2015 10:40 AM

It wasn't so much that I read anything, I just saw several pics that they were all mounted flat (or at least appeared to be). I don't think it's so much the compressor that needs to be flat as the air tank. I'm betting it has to do with the drain plug being centered in the tank and not near the domed end. Since I'm using the Porterbuilt brackets, the compressor would be at the same angle as the tank.

There may not be any issues with it. But I'm still pretty sure I'll be happier that I changed it if and when I have to drain the tanks.

knomadd 08-26-2015 10:04 AM

The big brown truck dropped off some goodies yesterday!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...pspova4nnr.jpg

I started painting the calipers last night. Got dark and was a bit humid so the clear looked white... They looked more baby blue than medium blue. I might have to strip and repaint them, but I'll let them cure some more in my warm garage today and see how they look after work. *fingers crossed*

Z10 08-26-2015 03:33 PM

Duane,
The truck is really looking good! Once you get your brakes sorted, let me know how your hydra boost is working for you. I'm not convinced I'm getting enough boost out of the CPP booster I have installed. I just may need to do what you've done.

Oh, sorry to hear about the damage.

:gmc2: