The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

shortbed70 05-15-2011 11:06 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Ran some wires and backed my truck out of the shop on it's own power since 09. And took the bed off to start bodywork
Posted via Mobile Device

pdxhall 05-15-2011 11:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I rounded up my son and his friend and they came over and helped me push the truck out of the garage and got it turned around so I have more room to work on the rear suspension and frame. I managed to get the old bed rails removed before the good old Portland rain stopped me. The wife is getting ready for a garage sale so as soon as she's done it's going back in where it's dry. I'm going to give it a good power wash before that, though, and get rid of some of the gunk. This is the first time the truck has been out of the garage in 5 years.
That stock rear end is really up there. 5" drop on the way and maybe a 1" block.

evobuilder 05-15-2011 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what did I do to my truck today..... or what did my truck do to me?

all on Saturday....

installed a tailgate that I scored for a killer deal (with chains and all) for 50 bucks

broke a shock mount at 12pm

broke a powersteering line at 2:00pm

still had a great day..... fixed the powersteering line, drove home with no shocks (just airbags) and yes, it was a little bouncy but fine.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1305517156

lakeroadster 05-16-2011 07:59 AM

Evobuilder,

Looks like your shocks are pretty far from being vertical. FYI... Only monotube shocks can be mounted at any angle. Most other shock absorber styles need to be within 30 degrees of being vertical or their dampening action is compromised.

Thought you might want to take that into consideration if you need to build some new shock mounts.

Hope that helps.

John

65Gregg 05-16-2011 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Drove mine to one of the local Houston area cruise spots.

karlbenz 05-16-2011 06:46 PM

dropped the motor and transmission in saturday (finally)

exoticmetalworx 05-16-2011 07:05 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you beat me ive been looking around for some kegs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 mannn.................

XtechX 05-16-2011 07:07 PM

I did the final skim coat on my cab corners (I hope) and all I should need to do now is prime and block for paint and also get those damn door jambs seam sealed to where they look right!!!...and let the solar orange paint FLY!!!!!!!!

exoticmetalworx 05-16-2011 07:09 PM

finished wirebrushing and media blasting my rear

XtechX 05-16-2011 07:10 PM

Sounds painful...sorry couldnt resist that comment.

evobuilder 05-16-2011 09:23 PM

in the pics, my shocks look more horizontal than they are..... when the bags are dropped and the frame is on the ground, yes, the shocks are laying towards the horizontal side of things, but in normal driving, they are at about 45 degrees.... which honestly, is not that bad as they are really only used for controling damping that the air bags don't provide.

exoticmetalworx 05-17-2011 07:14 PM

believe me i wroe it that way knowingly lol
and i didnt do **** on my truck today because i was to pist to , i walked out on my job today not sure if ill have one tomo...........

shuvl 05-17-2011 09:14 PM

Installed wheel chock in the bed and tie downs so I can haul my motorcycles around.
Posted via Mobile Device

Touchdown67 05-18-2011 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Have the bed wood bolted in and the tailgate rear bumper on...

Vernski 05-18-2011 01:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Installed my new seat today and new carpet since I last posted, next will work on the bed I have the box off and cleaned the frame...Vernski:mm:

markeb01 05-18-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4686695)
Installed my new seat today and new carpet since I last posted, next will work on the bed I have the box off and cleaned the frame...Vernski:mm:

That looks fantastic Vernski. Is that a prefab seat cover or did you get it done somewhere locally? Also have you decided on an exterior color yet?

markeb01 05-18-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touchdown67 (Post 4686593)
Have the bed wood bolted in and the tailgate rear bumper on...

Your progress looks very nicely detailed.

Vernski 05-18-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 4686704)
That looks fantastic Vernski. Is that a prefab seat cover or did you get it done somewhere locally? Also have you decided on an exterior color yet?

Hi Markb01 I had it done in Post Falls at Highlands Upolustry for $200 I couldn't find one to put on myself much cheaper and he put new padding in it. His phone# is 208-773-0104 and works out of his garage with his wife helping him. He does good work as you can see in the pics. On the paint I'm leaning toward the two tone color it was as I have all the door chrome for it. I think this was a dealer repaint cause I can't find a green apple green anywhere in the GMC color chips. My first thought was to satin two tone it but some times I think gloss would be the way to go, The original color by the way was dark green metalic I found underneath the cowl corners & hood...Vernski:gmc2:

markeb01 05-18-2011 02:53 PM

They did a real nice job on that seat. When I had a bench seat I bought an upholstery kit from Seatz and it was beautiful and well made. It’s nice to be able to find that kind of talent locally. I may see about having him make some diamond pattern covers for my buckets. I’ve thought about doing them in genuine diamond tufting, but my bad back is so particular I’m not sure they would remain as comfortable as just putting on diamond styled covers.

I’ve always preferred gloss paint myself. If I had not painted my entire disassembled truck with lacquer 10 years earlier, I would have repainted it gloss black instead of blitz black when I reshot it two years ago. But all the lacquer had to come off to apply urethane, and since I had just lost my job, the choice came down to a $200 enamel paint job - or none at all!

kieth 05-18-2011 05:23 PM

FYI check with your local PPg paint dealer, my basecoat only costs $127.00 per gallon, and the polyurethane clear is $70.00 per gal.....not much more than dupont enamel.......Kieth oops forgot about the reducer and hardner another $125.00

Delmo 05-18-2011 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 4682476)
I rounded up my son and his friend and they came over and helped me push the truck out of the garage and got it turned around so I have more room to work on the rear suspension and frame. I managed to get the old bed rails removed before the good old Portland rain stopped me. The wife is getting ready for a garage sale so as soon as she's done it's going back in where it's dry. I'm going to give it a good power wash before that, though, and get rid of some of the gunk. This is the first time the truck has been out of the garage in 5 years.
That stock rear end is really up there. 5" drop on the way and maybe a 1" block.

Wow beautiful truck man.

61_FL_Apache 05-18-2011 08:16 PM

Thanks to Boris, I now have control of my rear air bags. Install went great!!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...0/IMG_0869.jpg

mudderphil 05-18-2011 10:49 PM

pulled the front clip off and the box loose and removed the wasp nest that was being made

pdxhall 05-19-2011 02:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
First, thanks Delmo, I got pretty lucky with this find. I'm a big fan of your work.
I got all of the bed strips and supports off today. Ready to pull the bed off when I can round up a few friends. I also power washed the frame when I was done but I don't have pics of the post wash yet. Waiting for the wife to have her garage sale so I can have my garage back and start disassembly of the rear suspension.

awbrown 05-20-2011 10:36 PM

Replaced the modulator valve on the transmission .. I pulled the hose and it was not adjustable , so I bought a new one ... after a few test drives to get it set right it shifts nice and firm , not like a mushroom...