The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

hdrolling 05-29-2024 06:30 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

2 Attachment(s)
Installed a 69 camaro front lower spoiler.

Chevys4life 05-30-2024 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdrolling (Post 9315057)
Installed a 69 camaro front lower spoiler.

Your truck has a nice stance and front spoiler adds a nice touch.

hdrolling 06-02-2024 09:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevys4life (Post 9315158)
Your truck has a nice stance and front spoiler adds a nice touch.

Thanks, its painted now and blends in so much better.

Went out to a cruise in Fri night and another today and everyone said it looked really good.

zicc1835 06-03-2024 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9314731)
9 years from start to finish on this restoration. It really is a restoration, though, I dropped it 4/2.5, of course suspension and brakes are replacements, as well as the badges.

I did keep the Delco HEI, which I pulled off a truck in the 90s. Mini starter, 10SI. Heads are off a 1967 HP 396, and I favored vintage Wittek band clamps instead of tower clamps for water hoses. Matches what they installed onto the bypass, I'm anal that way. Some ARP bolts, other than that nearly all orig. fasteners restored or just cleaned.

It's been nearly done for 1-2 years. Last was the front bumper, which I installed yesterday. Quite an experience, and what's happened over nine years, oh my, so many losses and lessons. Anyway, glad to have done this once. I've owned it a long time, and the truck deserved it, but never again:lol::chevy:

congratulations

72c20customcamper 06-06-2024 01:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
New cab mounts in today . I really enjoy working on this truck everything unbolts real easy the bolts almost look new . I re used all the original bolts

68isgreat 06-06-2024 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9314731)
9 years from start to finish on this restoration. It really is a restoration, though, I dropped it 4/2.5, of course suspension and brakes are replacements, as well as the badges.

I did keep the Delco HEI, which I pulled off a truck in the 90s. Mini starter, 10SI. Heads are off a 1967 HP 396, and I favored vintage Wittek band clamps instead of tower clamps for water hoses. Matches what they installed onto the bypass, I'm anal that way. Some ARP bolts, other than that nearly all orig. fasteners restored or just cleaned.

It's been nearly done for 1-2 years. Last was the front bumper, which I installed yesterday. Quite an experience, and what's happened over nine years, oh my, so many losses and lessons. Anyway, glad to have done this once. I've owned it a long time, and the truck deserved it, but never again:lol::chevy:

Wow! That's an incredible truck. 9 years is way too long though. No way I would have the patience for that. But given the complete original look you went for, I can see why. Incredible. I started my frame off March 2023 and I hope to have it ready to drive by the end of this year. It will be a nice restomod, converted to 4x4 hopefully. I put tires/wheels on it tomorrow. Can't wait!:metal:

Rust_never_sleeps 06-06-2024 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Appalachian Engineering for getting the car-whose-brand-shall-not-be-spoken into the garage solo
....after I moved the 70 onto the street(relevant content :-D )
When I get back to the Chevy, I have to start from the bottom with
points-->dwell-->timing-->carb tuning and then see if I can fidget the choke into a happy place or rebuild the Quad,
cuz she's a grumpy girl starting u and she's running on after I shut her off

Steeveedee 06-06-2024 10:30 PM

After a lot of talk on Rufas' thread about cooling system woes, I went out to see if the fan clutch Stocker posted in his link would help with clearance between the fan clutch and the radiator. I used to have to take the fan off to replace the belt. That's the way I got the truck. During said inspection, I noticed that the radiator (aftermarket) could be moved forward about 3/8" in the top brackets. There is now at least 5/8" clearance between the radiator and the clutch, plenty of room to slip a belt by. The clutch Stocker posted would be a better fit at some point, in terms of fan to shroud in/out recommendations. But I'm going to wait until the severe duty clutch fails, which, given how much I drive this truck any more, may be never. I have yet to road test it, but nothing interferes, so why would I do that? Idunno.

72c20customcamper 06-07-2024 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rust_never_sleeps (Post 9317288)
Appalachian Engineering for getting the car-whose-brand-shall-not-be-spoken into the garage solo
....after I moved the 70 onto the street(relevant content :-D )
When I get back to the Chevy, I have to start from the bottom with
points-->dwell-->timing-->carb tuning and then see if I can fidget the choke into a happy place or rebuild the Quad,
cuz she's a grumpy girl starting u and she's running on after I shut her off

Man that little creeper seat has some strong wheel brakes

Rust_never_sleeps 06-07-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9317377)
Man that little creeper seat has some strong wheel brakes

It was also a poor-man's rowing machine yesterday ;-)

weq92f 06-07-2024 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Finally sealed the driver side kick panel vent. PO installed a speaker in it and that sealed all but the top 2 inches and so I had a constant stream of outside air coming in while running down the road. Passenger side is sealed.

Very happy with the results as my A/C now has true recirculation. This is now allowing the thing to perform better and maybe not work as hard. For sure though, humid days will no longer freeze my evaporator!

Ambient temp at photo time: 91F

-Kevin

72c20customcamper 06-13-2024 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Coming along should be driving it tomorrow. I know putting all new cab and radiator bushings lift the body some but it’s really noticeable. Thinking maybe the aluminum heads took weight off the suspension ?

Steeveedee 06-13-2024 08:32 PM

Are the radiator and AC condenser in? By the time you get them and the bumper back on it should look a lot better.

1967GMCC20 06-13-2024 08:46 PM

Former co-wirker and I. Drove my 67 truck to Hot Rod Power tour show in Hebron, Ohio.

US40 all the way. Yep... she has a deep gear. Followed, clocked speed, 40mph @2000 rpm.

1967GMCC20 06-13-2024 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Former co-worker and I (both retired same day) Drove my 67 truck to Hot Rod Power tour show in Hebron, Ohio.

US40 all the way. Yep... she has a deep gear. Followed, clocked speed, 40mph @2000 rpm.

Cool cars and trucks.

Cooling system was consistent 100deg over ambient.
3 core stock system. Clutch fan with OEM Shroud. 402BBC. TH400 HD.

72c20customcamper 06-13-2024 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9319079)
Are the radiator and AC condenser in? By the time you get them and the bumper back on it should look a lot better.

Radiator and fluids are in but the radiator is aluminum too so it’s like half the weight of the original 4 row copper radiator. No A/C

Steeveedee 06-13-2024 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9319100)
Radiator and fluids are in but the radiator is aluminum too so it’s like half the weight of the original 4 row copper radiator. No A/C

I bet it'll settle some though, with a bit of driving. You rebuilt the front suspension on it too, right?

72c20customcamper 06-14-2024 07:42 AM

Double post

72c20customcamper 06-14-2024 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9319109)
I bet it'll settle some though, with a bit of driving. You rebuilt the front suspension on it too, right?

No the front end was very tight no need all I did was brakes and sway bar bushings . Hopefully it will settle

Maybe the bumper will drop it a bit .

72c20customcamper 06-14-2024 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All done drove about 50 miles today . Ran real nice and smooth seams to have some grunt can’t really know how much since I need to be easy on it for the first 500 miles . Think I’ll be changing out the mufflers to some old school glass packs they have a deeper tone that I like . These are Magnaflow no drone but it’s not a deep rumble

Steeveedee 06-15-2024 09:59 AM

Cool! That ride height looks good now.

72c20customcamper 06-15-2024 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9319511)
Cool! That ride height looks good now.

Think the bumper and battery helped

Rich72C10 06-16-2024 09:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally found/bought an original woodgrain cluster bezel. I've had a saved search on eBay that emails me for ages and got a hit a bit ago.

It's coming from Canada and with shipping (which was more than the bezel) is costing $79 USD.

It isn't NOS but isn't in horrible shape either. It will match well with the overlay I put on my glovebox door. Also, after all this time looking for one, I have only really seen much worse.

Already Gone 06-18-2024 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Its not what I did to it as opposed to what I did with it. After being down for 18 months for a whole bunch of changes including a new rebuilt engine I started driving it last year in May and had a few bugs to work out which was done. So this year been driving it for 6/7 weeks now and last night with about 1300 miles on the new engine I drove the truck about 85 miles on the highway to my job, She ran like a champ. Pic is sitting at work last night.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-18-2024 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 9320213)
Its not what I did to it as opposed to what I did with it. After being down for 18 months for a whole bunch of changes including a new rebuilt engine I started driving it last year in May and had a few bugs to work out which was done. So this year been driving it for 6/7 weeks now and last night with about 1300 miles on the new engine I drove the truck about 85 miles on the highway to my job, She ran like a champ. Pic is sitting at work last night.

Great feelin', ain't it?

Already Gone 06-18-2024 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9320219)
Great feelin', ain't it?

Oh yea, still have list of mostly cosmetics to do but truck is very usable as is.

LNP 06-18-2024 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 9320213)

Awesome truck looks great too. I enjoy driving mine to work every day

Palf70Step 06-19-2024 01:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled my 46+ year old headers (unknown brand) and gave a thought of trying to patch them. I decided I would pass and get new ones. They did their time. Now to just wait for them to arrive.

LNP 06-19-2024 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 9320529)
Pulled my 46+ year old headers (unknown brand) and gave a thought of trying to patch them. I decided I would pass and get new ones. They did their time. Now to just wait for them to arrive.

I got a torch and some coat hangers I could fix that for ya. lol Yea it looks like they did their job long enough time for a new set.